****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,465 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Leander - Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No Nash?
Seven Costanza
AG
Slightly odd to conclude that with a 5 second clip from W.
CDMAg21
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Slightly odd to conclude that with a 5 second clip from W.
"Come paint with me" favorite part of the whole ceremony
walton91
I saw somewhere that he was doing a Champions League broadcast for TNT today. I know he came in last week for Dirk
hph6203
AG
With all respect to Aikman, Emmitt, Staubach, Dorsett, Witten, Allen, Lilly, White, Irving, Nolan, Rusty, Young, Pudge, Gonzalez, Palmeiro, Hamilton, Beltre, Modano, and Tatu and every other sports icon in the history of sports in the Dallas area, that dude is number one and will never ever be surpassed. 21 years of greatness as a player and a person. He took a franchise that was among the worst in NBA history for the years prior to his arrival and made it into one of the most respected in the league. Thank you for the memories and the success and for being one of the classiest and best players in NBA history.

6th all time in points
3rd All-Time Games Played
14 All-Star Appearances
1 MVP
1 Finals MVP
1 NBA Championship
#1 Seasons Played With One Team
Greatest International Player of All-Time

Thank you for what you did for basketball life in Dallas. I hope you're around the Mavericks for a long, long time because you're as great as a personality and person as you are as a player. Going to miss watching him play, because he changed the game.
Sports-Ag
AG
Spurs fan here. Man have we been through many battles. From Manu fouling Dirk in game 7 for the and 1 to Steve Kerr in 2003 game 6.

In the 2011 NBA Finals I was kind of rooting for Miami because of our rivalry and mostly because of Mark Cuban. When I saw Lebron and Wade making fun of Dirk because he was sick and they were fake coughing I was mad about that. After that I was rooting for you guys and glad the Mavs destroyed Miami.

Dirk has always been a classy guy on and off the court. It's been weird seeing Dirk at the end of his career not scoring as much but seeing Duncan has prepared me for that.

I've always respected Dirk even though at times he has beaten the Spurs. Dirk has represented the Mavs organization and Dallas area to the best. I can say I'm glad the Mavs found a player like him.

From the many many games we have played against each other I say how about one last rodeo game to end it all.

Cheers.
hph6203
AG
Hope he scores 40. Good luck in the playoffs.
MW03
AG
I feel old tonight. I remember yelling at Karl Malone nearly 20 years ago at the College Station Fox and Hound watching this dude just a couple years older than me win a series in 5.

Staubach was a legend. Aikman was a childhood hero. Dirk was a contemporary. I look up to him so much. What an example of work ethic, persistence, excellence, loyalty, and humility. I love that I watched every moment of his career.

It sounds trite to say an athlete can shape you, and often times it is just that. But as a professional and as a man, it just doesn't get any better than 41.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Amazing night. Surprisingly I only teared up twice. After dirk lost it on the court, I started the odds st -300 that I would sob at some point. It feels weird that it's over.

The fact that so many legends showed up just goes to show what a great guy he is and how loved he is. Most of those guys would never have showed up for other players. I bet ****ing wade doesn't have greats show up for him.

In my opinion dirk is the best athlete in Dallas history and the fact he's a great person puts him over the top. He's by far the most likeable superstar ever and the most easy to relate to. Even in his speech after the game he was relatable and hilarious.

I'm a Cowboys and rangers fan, but I never even considered getting sad when any cowboy or ranger retired. Dirk is alone on the pedestal of Dallas sports. There is literally no argument.

Dirk for life.

PatAg
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I would rather keep the pick this year, make the playoffs next year, and give Atlanta the 15-20th pick. It's a weak draft, but not weak enough for that difference. This is assuming the team is a playoff team next year, though, which is not a given.
Next years draft is likely to include all the top high school players as well as the top college players. I cant seem to find the article but someone referenced it on here before. So in addition to this years draft being weaker, its also the players at the top of the draft and how they mesh with the team. Zion fits, a lot of the other top 3-5 players, they dont seem to
hph6203
AG
Good Riddance as a song has grown somewhat cheesy, but it was a perfect song to play. It was released the year before Dirk entered the league. That's how long he has been a part of sports life in Dallas.
mavsfan4ever
AG
PatAg said:

Seven Costanza said:

I would rather keep the pick this year, make the playoffs next year, and give Atlanta the 15-20th pick. It's a weak draft, but not weak enough for that difference. This is assuming the team is a playoff team next year, though, which is not a given.
Next years draft is likely to include all the top high school players as well as the top college players. I cant seem to find the article but someone referenced it on here before. So in addition to this years draft being weaker, its also the players at the top of the draft and how they mesh with the team. Zion fits, a lot of the other top 3-5 players, they dont seem to

Who the **** cares dude? You are a moron for not wanting the 2nd pick so that you can get the 20th pick in a few years. But we have bigger things to talk about tonight. Let it go and focus on dirk. Good god.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

PatAg said:

Seven Costanza said:

Who the **** cares dude? You are a moron for not wanting the 2nd pick so that you can get the 20th pick in a few years. But we have bigger things to talk about tonight. Let it go and focus on dirk. Good god.
overreaction much? Offense intended, but I've already had that conversation with the people I intended too. I'm not looking to reminisce with a person like you.
Sports-Ag
AG
hph6203 said:

Hope he scores 40. Good luck in the playoffs.

Haha. As long as the Spurs win. I can see Dirk playing lights out tomorrow and know his teammates will want to send him off with a win.

I expect the Spurs to have a highlight video for him.
TDub
AG
It's crazy watching Dirk watch off the AAC floor for the last time. The dudes been in the league all my life, I can't begin to describe the impact he's had on me and how he was such a vital part of my childhood. One of the few Dallas legends that made that kind of impact.
PatAg
AG
etxag18 said:

It's crazy watching Dirk watch off the AAC floor for the last time. The dudes been in the league all my life, I can't begin to describe the impact he's had on me and how he was such a vital part of my childhood. One of the few Dallas legends that made that kind of impact.
I definitely have him on top, above the triplets, Modano, Pudge, Michael Young, Beltre, Romo, I dont personally have Staubach up there, but its because he was before my time. I understand why others would though.
hph6203
AG
Fully expect them to do right by him, as much animosity as I've had for the Spurs over the years they're the franchise in the league that I respect above all others. I was there for the Game 5 before the Game 7 Manu foul. That was probably the second most wild ass game I've been to (behind the OU-Boise Fiesta bowl, OU A&M Cotton Bowl). Got hit in the back of the head by a dude on my way out of the arena.

Pop wouldn't let Dirk go out without the respect that he deserves.
TDub
AG
For me it's Dirk, Young, Modano, Romo/Witten. The earliest I remember anything is probably around '01-'02. Vaguely remember watching Quincy on the Cowboys but was mainly hooked on Dirk and Young. It's wasnt until the end of Bledsoe that I really started watching/keeping up with the Cowboys
True Anomaly
AG
For me, Nolan Ryan was my childhood hero growing up, and so him retiring was sad for me.

This is of course far different and far more impactful. I didn't cry, but I'm not the most sentimental type. But I'm forever grateful to have been in that building for this. To put it simply, it was special

For what it's worth, if Dirk's last game ever has to be on the road, I'm glad it's in San Antonio
hph6203
AG
PatAg said:

etxag18 said:

I definitely have him on top, above the triplets, Modano, Pudge, Michael Young, Beltre, Romo, I dont personally have Staubach up there, but its because he was before my time. I understand why others would though.

I'm a bit (maybe more than a bit) older than you. I grew up in the Aikman, Emmitt, Irvin era but barely remember them being in the Super Bowls because I was 9 when they last won a Super Bowl, but I recognize that in the pantheon of Dallas sports it's Dirk and Captain America. Staubach took the Cowboys to 4 Super Bowls, won two and has going to the Naval Academy, winning the Heisman and serving our country in the Navy in Vietnam and the services for 5 years under his belt and is every bit and more the man than Dirk is, but he played for the Cowboys for 11 years. 21 years in Dallas and transforming a franchise is hard to beat. It's probably 1a and 1b and the rest.

Emmitt and Nolan were my sports heroes as a kid, but Dirk has surpassed them both in my mind.
fightinags2013
AG
Wow. What a night.

I cried HARD at the video of Dirk visiting those kids in the hospital.

Can't belive we'll never get to see him play in Dallas again. I'm 28, so I literally have no concept of Mavs basketball without him. Seriously- it's hard for me to imagine. So, so sad.
MW03
AG
I'd say that people who idolize athletes are idiots. Largely, the professional athlete seems self-absorbed, selfish, and flawed. Dirk is flawed, no doubt. But the example he showed us all, the humility, the quiet way he supported our community, the loyalty, the love he approached every day, the kindness, the fight...

I have a son. I guess the highest compliment I could give is that I wouldn't hate for him to idolize 41.
aggolfer
AG
I never really understood the obsession of Nolan. He was with Texas in my sports wheelhouse - Jr High/HS. Yes, he was great but he was only here like 4 yrs and did most of his accomplishments elsewhere. Yes, he reached 5700 strikeouts but 4500+ where somewhere else like the no hitters. Yes, I liked him an idolized him but seems the Rangers latched on to him because they had no one else.

Dirk has been my all time favorite as I was able to watch most of his games on TV and he never fell into the typical NBA player mold and did things his way.
hph6203
AG
He hit a lot of major milestones with the Rangers, embodied toughness and did a lot of his damage in the league in the state of Texas (between the Astros and Rangers) and is a native Texan. Nolan embodies what people think of a Texan and the fact that he only did a fraction of what he did in the league in the DFW area is inconsequential (he did throw 2 no hitters with the team) . When people think Texas and tough they think Nolan. Some of his most iconic moments in the league happened with the rangers including beating up Yankee Robin Ventura. That's why he's beloved in this area. Dude threw over 100 with a busted elbow and not a ton of guys in the history of baseball have even cracked 100 let alone at 46 years old. Something like 30 guys have ever thrown multiple no hitters and Nolan did it with the Rangers at age 43 and 44 to cap a career with the most no hitters at 7. He's a legend.
PatAg
AG
?itemid=7948643
PatAg
AG
Phat32
AG
The ****ing (Ger)man
rwtxag83
AG
Bon Voyage Dirk.

As a Spurs fan you were a thorn in our side, but one that every Spurs fan respected immensely. Guys like you are what made the I-35 rivalry what it has been for the last 21 years.

A consumate professional. A difference maker every time he stepped on the court. He just brought 'it' every single day, and did so without controversy. You can't ask for more than that.
Greater love hath no man than this....
mavsfan4ever
AG
Excited to see what pop and spurs do for him tonight. I'd expect they have something planned. Wonder if Duncan will show up?
chris1515
AG
hph6203 said:

Some of his most iconic moments in the league happened with the rangers including beating up Yankee Robin Ventura. That's why he's beloved in this area.

Not that it's too relevant to your point, but Ventura was with the White Sox when Nolan worked him over.
mavsfan4ever
AG

Sorry, I meant to say "no offense" before I typed that. Bad mistake on my part. I thought we were in the trust tree.

I admit I overreacted and was a little harsh. The emotions were still flowing from the game. Couldve chosen my words better. So I apologize. You apparently are going to turn that one post into a big deal and act like I'm a terrible person, so I don't know what to say. I'm not going to go back and forth in stupid message board bickering defending what kind of person I am.

You are entitled to your opinion on the draft, and I'll leave it at that.

Now back to dirk.
Bones08
AG
I think Mark Followill said it best in one of the tribute videos that played last night:

"I've never seen anything like it in 30 years of covering sports. Yea, every Mavs fan wanted to see the team win because they love the team. But it was extraordinary to witness a fan base and a city so unified in the spirit of, 'But I really just want them to win it for Dirk'"

Basketball legend. Dallas legend. Dirk will be missed on the court.
PatAg
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Sorry, I meant to say "no offense" before I typed that. Bad mistake on my part. I thought we were in the trust tree.

I admit I overreacted and was a little harsh. The emotions were still flowing from the game. Couldve chosen my words better. So I apologize. You apparently are going to turn that one post into a big deal and act like I'm a terrible person, so I don't know what to say. I'm not going to go back and forth in stupid message board bickering defending what kind of person I am.

You are entitled to your opinion on the draft, and I'll leave it at that.

Now back to dirk.

Might still be overreacted
M.C. Swag
AG
Last night was amazing. I'm still sorting through the emotions and part of me is desperately wishing for this all to be a bad dream and that I'll wake up any second and Dirk is nowhere close to RETIREMENT. The man has been in my life since I was 9 years old. I don't have a single basketball memory without him. Basketball is my favorite sport. Dirk is my favorite athlete. Those two have been married together for my entire cognitive life. How did 21 years feel this fleeting?

21 years! We will never see anything like that again. EVER. In ANY sport.

No one was ever more deserving of a night like last night than Dirk. Mavs basketball will never be the same.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Yea, it feels really weird. Excited about tonight. Hoping Dirk has enough legs to play good minutes. Spurs really need to win to avoid playing GS first round so would be fun for Dirk to have a good game and beat them one more time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.