****Official 2018-19 Dallas Mavericks Season thread****

108,521 Views | 1273 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by M.C. Swag
mavsfan4ever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wtf. I've been very down on dsj but what could the suns/magic possibly give us that would make it worthwhile to give up on him?
M.C. Swag
AG
I think this is coming from DSJ's camp. I think he's the one who wants out.
COAg15
AG
Yeah, in my opinion this is just awful all around. Way too soon. Not even a half of a season to try and gel together with Luka.

I'm seeing Suns, Magic, and someone said Pistons were interested.

There's just nothing there on any of those teams (that are touchable) to make this seem even remotely worth it.
Danny Vermin
COAg15 said:

Yeah, in my opinion this is just awful all around. Way too soon. Not even a half of a season to try and gel together with Luka.

I'm seeing Suns, Magic, and someone said Pistons were interested.

There's just nothing there on any of those teams (that are touchable) to make this seem even remotely worth it.

Well, a couple of them are ****ty teams so a high draft pick could be the play.
M.C. Swag
AG
Gordon or Isaac wouldn't be bad.
rsf0626
We allegedly have one of the best coaches in the nba, he should be able to fix whatever the issue is. My biggest fear is we're letting the next Westbrook go.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Apparently there are reports that the players don't like dsj and think he's too selfish. That's what they were just talking about on the ticket. If that's true, then get him out.
COAg15
AG
It'd have to be a pretty wild trade package for the Magic to include Gordon imo. I'd be okay if Gordon was involved, but I would be shocked.

I have heard (again all rumors) that it's the DSJ and Carlisle relationship not DSJ and the players that is causing strain. He seems to have great relationships with DAJ, and DFS.

Edit: for acronym mixup.
M.C. Swag
AG
COAg15 said:

It'd have to be a pretty wild trade package for the Magic to include Gordon imo. I'd be okay if Gordon was involved, but I would be shocked.

I have heard (again all rumors) that it's the DSJ and Carlisle relationship not DSJ and the players that is causing strain. He seems to have great relationships with DAJ, and DFS.

Edit: for acronym mixup.
Idk it is the Magic we're talking about. Its not like they have a stellar track record of keeping talented players.
jeffdjohnson
We'll have to see what they get back but I'm skeptical. DSJ is still a mystery box with all star upside. I would prefer the Mavs try to develop him and see what he becomes. It is also possible that DSJ is the one pushing this though, so who knows.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I could see DSJ wanting out. If he has a bad relationship with Carlisle and doesn't get to have the ball in his hands much, that's a recipe for a young point guard getting frustrated.

I wouldn't be shocked if Magic threw in Gordon (but I agree they probably won't). Given his contract, I'm not even sure if I'd be happy or not with that outcome.

Edit: actually his contract isn't as bad as I thought. I'd still like to have a ton of cap space and flexibility moving forward though because I think people will want to play with Luka.
M.C. Swag
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I could see DSJ wanting out. If he has a bad relationship with Carlisle and doesn't get to have the ball in his hands much, that's a recipe for a young point guard getting frustrated.

I wouldn't be shocked if Magic threw in Gordon (but I agree they probably won't). Given his contract, I'm not even sure if I'd be happy or not with that outcome.

Edit: actually his contract isn't as bad as I thought. I'd still like to have a ton of cap space and flexibility moving forward though because I think people will want to play with Luka.
Yea, contractually Gordon makes a ton of sense. I think he'd fit perfectly with Luka and is still only 23 years old (so timeline wise, he fits too).
rsf0626
I'm hearing on the radio that this trade fiasco is more than likey being driven primarily by DSJs camp. Seems that him and rick arent a good match
Old Tom Morris
Tough to be a PG for Carlisle to begin with. Especially tough when your skills are not ideally suited for PG to begin with
rsf0626
At some point, when does the liability fall on Rick to amend the issue?
Grapesoda2525
rsf0626 said:

I'm hearing on the radio that this trade fiasco is more than likey being driven primarily by DSJs camp. Seems that him and rick arent a good match
In other words, Carlisle wants Jason Kidd or something equivalent.

He's already run off Larkin, rondo, and now probably Dsj.
M.C. Swag
AG
rsf0626 said:

At some point, when does the liability fall on Rick to amend the issue?
Given his history, it's a fair question to ask. It's undeniable that he has a propensity for conflict with younger players (specifically at the guard position). But in this case...I'm not sure I can lay most of the fault at Rick's feet. From everything I've gathered from local radio, twitter, and reddit...this whole situation is being escalated at the behest of DSJ, or someone within his circle. These 'leaks' over the past few weeks is not how the front office typically operates. I don't believe they'd be willing to move off a 21 yr old lottery pick just 30 games into his sophmore season for strictly on-court deficiencies. That's my personal opinion. And it's somewhat supported by the fact that Rick was interviewed today after practice and specifically stated he was expecting DSJ at practice today. When he didn't show up, Rick said he was 'informed' of DSJ's 'illness' by his agent. So if Rick is telling the truth (which I don't see why he wouldn't), this thing is being pushed by DSJ's side.

tl;dr - It seems DSJ already made the decision to move on so I'm not sure if there was much chance for Rick to amend much of anything.
M.C. Swag
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

rsf0626 said:

lol Larkin? C'mon...

Rick is extremely ornery and seems to have alot of conflict with certain players, but he also has developed quite a few diamonds in the rough at the PG position (ex: Barea, Yogi, Devin, Seth Curry)
Old Tom Morris
If he's severely cut his minutes or something, I could get it. But he's getting almost as much PT as he did last year. While his scoring is down a bit, his efficiency is much improved (he's down 4 FGA's per game, but only 1 FG made). With the addition of Luka, how they are using him as obviously changed some, but he can be an effective, integral part of this thing. But he has to own it. Rick can be a dick, but the guy knows how to coach. DSJ would do well to go with it.
Oh Four Five
AG
One of the knocks on DSJ going into the draft last year was his attitude. With Luka's quick rise and attention, we probably shouldn't be surprised that it's his camp wanting out.
rsf0626
DSJs agent is denying that they requested a trade...someone is lying here whether its he mavs FO or his agent
rsf0626
Seven Costanza
AG
Not sure if true, but...

M.C. Swag
AG
rsf0626 said:

DSJs agent is denying that they requested a trade...someone is lying here whether its he mavs FO or his agent

1) There's no quote sourced from DSJ or his agent on the subject. The best we've got is a "source close to DSJ."

2) Idk DSJs agent from any John on the street, but I do know Rick and he doesn't play these games. I trust Rick.

PooDoo
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

rsf0626 said:

Are you high?

Rick took a team of cast offs and Dirk and beat the first super team.

**** Rondo and Larkin if they don't want to get with the program.

Might as well add Roddy B while you're at it... lol
PatAg
AG
PooDoo said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

rsf0626 said:

Are you high?

Rick took a team of cast offs and Dirk and beat the first super team.

**** Rondo and Larkin if they don't want to get with the program.

Might as well add Roddy B while you're at it... lol
"run off" some nobodies and potentially DSJ, who I think can be a good player on a good team if he can deal with the fact that he isn't all-pro caliber. He seems to want to be "the man" instead of learning to play on a good team.

Scottie Pippen put out Jaylen Brown for DSJ, and I dont know why Boston would do that but Id do that trade in a second.
M.C. Swag
AG
ESPN is stupid. I've seen so many idiotic trade proposals.
MW03
AG
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/1/16/18184229/luka-doncic-crunch-time-dallas-mavericks

Quote:

Luka Doncic Is Already a Killer in Crunch Time

Not impressed yet with the Mavericks phenom's rookie season? Try this: Doncic is having one of the best clutch-shooting seasons in recorded history.
M.C. Swag
AG

Keep in mind, this was reported by Mac Engel who is a trash writer. He'd be the last person that anyone in the Mavs FO would tell about this.
Seven Costanza
AG
Bill Simmons proposed "Wes, DeAndre, and DSJ for Conley and Gasol". Zach Lowe's response was understandably "why the eff would Dallas do that?
M.C. Swag
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Bill Simmons proposed "Wes, DeAndre, and DSJ for Conley and Gasol". Zach Lowe's response was understandably "why the eff would Dallas do that?

Lol so dumb. Yes, Bill, we'd love to flip our young and expiring contract players for your old and non-expiring ones.
PatAg
AG
Those are two really good players though, that would fit on this team with Luka
PatAg
AG
This was discussed when we drafted Luka, there was definite worry that DSJ would have a problem with not being the man and playing off the ball. I think he can do it if he wants to, but he might be more worries about being the man than playing winning basketball. I think there is plenty of ball to go around during the course of the game, but I'm not a 21 yr old stud athlete who has never had to share before.

I hope there is a way to make this work, but it kinda feels like we are past the point of no return. We just need to not be on the bad end of a trade.
ramblin_ag02
AG
PatAg said:

This was discussed when we drafted Luka, there was definite worry that DSJ would have a problem with not being the man and playing off the ball. I think he can do it if he wants to, but he might be more worries about being the man than playing winning basketball. I think there is plenty of ball to go around during the course of the game, but I'm not a 21 yr old stud athlete who has never had to share before.

I hope there is a way to make this work, but it kinda feels like we are past the point of no return. We just need to not be on the bad end of a trade.
I hope that's not the problem. I figured Golden State with Durant, Green, Thompson and Curry all together, it would be obvious to anyone that there's plenty of possessions to go around. In Dallas right now DSJ is really only competing with Luka and Barnes long-term for shots. That should be plenty. From watching him play, I can't think of any team that's going to make him their #1 offensive focus
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
M.C. Swag
AG
PatAg said:

Those are two really good players though, that would fit on this team with Luka
They're two expensive, old players that would ensure a never ending cycle of purgatory. We can't just flip DSJ for whatever good player we can. The Mavs have to be mindful of how that player fits in the timeline of what they're building with Luka. Conley is 31. No matter how good he is now, he'll be knocking on father time's time door soon. It's not worth it.

(Also, Gasol has fallen off a cliff the past month. He's not the 20/10 monster he was at the start of the year)
PatAg
AG
He's also never really been coached before, so maybe he doesn't like that either. Rick was way more complimentary of him than he ever is of rookies last year, imo
So I don't personally buy that it's Rick that wants him out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.