*****2018-2019 San Antonio Spurs*****

157,152 Views | 1749 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jteagle
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sports-Ag said:

Pelicans got just a tad bit more than the Spurs got for Kawhi.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Kawhi always preferred the Clippers from all indications. Davis's commitment to the Lakers is long term. Also, as mentioned, Kawhi was a big question mark.
Guitarsoup
AG
I feel like this is the Carmelo Anthony to knicks trade all over. He was going there anyway, but they dumped most of their good players and valuable draft picks to get him anyway. In the long run, terrible deal for the Lakers
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I feel like this is the Carmelo Anthony to knicks trade all over. He was going there anyway, but they dumped most of their good players and valuable draft picks to get him anyway. In the long run, terrible deal for the Lakers
Yea it definitely has a similar feel. I think in the long run, it would be a terrible deal for most other teams, but when was the last time the the Lakers showed competency in drafting young talent? The players they traded were meh and they would have likely continued to draft players that were meh until Jeanie and the front office changes.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yea it definitely has a similar feel. I think in the long run, it would be a terrible deal for most other teams, but when was the last time the the Lakers showed competency in drafting young talent? The players they traded were meh and they would have likely continued to draft players that were meh until Jeanie and the front office changes.

Yeah and the Nicks didnt have Labron to pair with Melo. Davis and LBJ plus a bunch of scrubs is pretty good.
Guitarsoup
AG
We just saw the Raptors win in part because of superior depth.

I think it is why the Mavs beat the Heat as well. Heat had Bron/Wade/Bosh in their prime and then had to rely on scrubs like Chalmers, Joel Anthony, and old ass MIke Bibby, Haslem, and MIke MIller. I can see this Lakers team being like that 11 Heat team, but instead of winning in 12 and 13, starting to fall apart because LeBron will likely hit 1500 NBA games in Marchish.
Ulrich
The warriors depth was an underrated aspect of their early title runs, too. Spurs in 13-14 were also really deep.
Guitarsoup
AG
The 14 Spurs were the first team in NBA history to not have a single player average 30mpg. We had 7 players getting 22mpg+ in the playoffs, plus Marco and Patty getting 15mpg+.

9 player deep team in the playoffs is crazy.

Most teams are playing 4 players at 30+Mpg, a 5th and 6th at 28-30mpg, a 7th at 24mpg plus an 8th with 15mpg or so.
Ags #1
AG
History lesson
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The 14 Spurs were the first team in NBA history to not have a single player average 30mpg. We had 7 players getting 22mpg+ in the playoffs, plus Marco and Patty getting 15mpg+.

9 player deep team in the playoffs is crazy.

Most teams are playing 4 players at 30+Mpg, a 5th and 6th at 28-30mpg, a 7th at 24mpg plus an 8th with 15mpg or so.

The 2014 team completely reshaped how I viewed roster management and how a team should be built. It frustrates the hell out of me to see trot guys like Quincy Pondexter out there andnot be able to go 10 deep during the regular season like we used to. I realize that team was the exception and not the rule, but damn the depth on that team was so much fun.

Edit: wrong emoji
Guitarsoup
AG
Draft picks Pelicans get:
2019 #4
2021 top-8 protected pick (becomes unprotected in 2022)
2023 Unprotected Pick Swap
2024 Unprotected first in 2024
2025 Unprotected Pick Swap
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

2019 #4

LA for fleeced.
jteagle
AG
I've been doing some research and I really would like to see the Spurs get Dylan Windler with their second pick. Of course I know the Spurs very rarely do what you expect but I would love to see them get this kid.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

I've been doing some research and I really would like to see the Spurs get Dylan Windler with their second pick. Of course I know the Spurs very rarely do what you expect but I would love to see them get this kid.

I'm very intruiged my Windler. I love shooters and that's definitely something this kid doesn't lack. Good lefty stroke and put up some really good rebounding numbers at Belmont, but that's may or may not translate as well. I think finding a shorter like him or Cameron Johnson at 29 is an absolute steal and addresses a need at wing.
jsc8116
AG
Watch us draft another combo guard/tweener when we all know we need a wing and PF/C help. Anyone think we bundle our two first round picks to trade up higher? Cant see us bringing two 1st round picks onto roster next year. Maybe the 29th pick will be a draft and stash?
jteagle
AG
jsc8116 said:

Watch us draft another combo guard/tweener when we all know we need a wing and PF/C help. Anyone think we bundle our two first round picks to trade up higher? Cant see us bringing two 1st round picks onto roster next year. Maybe the 29th pick will be a draft and stash?
I think it is a possibility that they try to make a trade if there is a player that they really like. However, I also think there is room on the roster for 2 first round picks. This team needs more stars. Right now this team is filled with solid players but they need some of them to step up to the next level if they want to contend for the championship. Lonnie has a chance to do that and I think Derrick does too. I don't think this team has the luxury of a draft and stash like they did when the Big 3 were here. They need more immediate help.
West Texan
AG
jsc8116 said:

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2019/6/12/18661515/exploring-possible-trade-scenarios-for-the-spurs-to-move-up-in-the-draft

Pretty good article on how we might go about moving up, if that's what PATFO decides to do.
West Texan
AG
jteagle said:

jsc8116 said:

I think it is a possibility that they try to make a trade if there is a player that they really like. However, I also think there is room on the roster for 2 first round picks. This team needs more stars. Right now this team is filled with solid players but they need some of them to step up to the next level if they want to contend for the championship. Lonnie has a chance to do that and I think Derrick does too. I don't think this team has the luxury of a draft and stash like they did when the Big 3 were here. They need more immediate help.

Given our recent history with our picks, even if we keep all 3 draft picks, they'll spend most of their first season in Austin anyways. I like getting guys working in the G league just down the road a lot better than the draft and stash.
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

jteagle said:

jsc8116 said:

Given our recent history with our picks, even if we keep all 3 draft picks, they'll spend most of their first season in Austin anyways. I like getting guys working in the G league just down the road a lot better than the draft and stash.

Exactly. I know it's hard to argue with the results, and maybe I'm being an impatient fan but it would be nice to draft someone who can contribute right off of the bat.
Ag Natural
AG
Getting DJ back healthy and inserting Lonnie will be like getting two good picks. More development from White, Bertans and Poeltl makes this team very good.

My biggest questions are.. what do you do with the 3 spot? And what so they really think of Derozon?

I could see them making a move with DD to get a viable starting SF. That opens up minutes to play White and Walker as well, which you'd think would be a priority.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

West Texan said:

jteagle said:

jsc8116 said:

Exactly. I know it's hard to argue with the results, and maybe I'm being an impatient fan but it would be nice to draft someone who can contribute right off of the bat.

I think we all would like someone who could step right in and be a contributor, but those are hard to come by late in the draft and the Spurs aren't willing to sacrifice development just to rush a kid along.

There are a few guys that are likely to be available when the Spurs are picking that could be full time roster guys from day 1: Cameron Johnson, Dylan Windler, and Matisse Thybulle. All senior wing players that could immediately be in a rotation. Johnson is an elite shooter with length, is a willing defender but won't ever be elite at it, and seems smart enough to make the right play. He'd be a bigger Marco Belinelli that's an average defender. Windler is very similar to Johnson. Elite shooter with size, could be an average defender, but he put up some big rebounding numbers in college. He played at Belmont so the step up in competition might not make those rebounds translate, but offensively he'd fit right in. Thybulle is a Danny Green clone imo. Elite defender, long arms that can really disrupt people, anticipates passing lanes and blocks really well, and should be able to be a serviceable 3 point shooter with a little work. Now all of these guys won't develop into studs, but they'll all be nice role players.
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

Getting DJ back healthy and inserting Lonnie will be like getting two good picks. More development from White, Bertans and Poeltl makes this team very good.

My biggest questions are.. what do you do with the 3 spot? And what so they really think of Derozon?

I could see them making a move with DD to get a viable starting SF. That opens up minutes to play White and Walker as well, which you'd think would be a priority.

If Demar is kept around I think he has to play the 3. With the NBA going much more positionless, I think the difference between him playing 2 and 3 is minimal. Plus he's got the size and rebounding ability to play the 3 and he's not quick enough to guard quick SGs.

I named them off in my previous post, but there are some guys that could be drafted that I think could come in and be viable backups at SF right away in Johnson, Windler, and Thybulle (although he's more of a 2, I think he could bulk up a little and guard some bigger wings). That would help the depth there and they wouldn't take minutes away from Murray, White, or Walker and could easily play along side any of our other guards.

Without making some moves we don't have just a ton of cap space. The Spurs are interested in Bojan Bogdanovic, but that would take moving some pieces with the price he'll get on the market. Perhaps a guy like Al-Farouq Aminu or Reggie Bullock.
Guitarsoup
AG
DeRozan for Ingram+#4?

Spurs get an actual SF and another young piece to rebuild with.

New Orleans gets a proven all Star that can create his own shot and create for others.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup said:

2019 #4

The 2021 protection is for new Orleans. If the pick is #9 or higher, new Orleans gets it in 2022. If it is #8 or lower, it goes to the Pelicans
Obi Wan Ginobili
Guitarsoup said:

DeRozan for Ingram+#4?

New Orleans gets a proven all Star that can create his own shot and create for others.

If I'm NO, I turn that one down pretty quick.
West Texan
AG
Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

DeRozan for Ingram+#4?

This.

Plus Demar definitely isn't resigning with the pelicans when he becomes a free agent. Our best bet for a Derozan trade would be someone that thinks they're a contender but missed out on other big free agents.
Ag Natural
AG
West Texan said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

DeRozan for Ingram+#4?

This.

Plus Demar definitely isn't resigning with the pelicans when he becomes a free agent. Our best bet for a Derozan trade would be someone that thinks they're a contender but missed out on other big free agents.

Two years of DD isnt a terrible move for the Pels. They'd have a veteran starting backcourt to groom all the kids they just acquired. I dont think they'd give up Ingram for him though.
West Texan
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

DeRozan for Ingram+#4?

This.

Two years of DD isnt a terrible move for the Pels. They'd have a veteran starting backcourt to groom all the kids they just acquired. I dont think they'd give up Ingram for him though.

Ingram really doesn't do anything for me. He's already missed a bunch of games for a kid only 3 years into his career and he's not a very good shooter. He's a career sub 33% from 3 and 66% from the free throw line, and while he does some nice things on offense, why would we swap a non shooting all star for a non shooting young guy. That #4 pick with the possibility to draft De'Andre Hunter is way more interesting to me than Brandon Ingram.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

West Texan said:

Obi Wan Ginobili said:

Guitarsoup said:

DeRozan for Ingram+#4?

This.

I think something like #4 and Solomon Hill would be more realistic. Even as badly as NOLA wants the hill contract off of the books, I still don't think they would make that deal....unless their goal this year is to make the playoffs, in which case I think they'd have to think about it.
Guitarsoup
AG
New Orleans also needs to know if they don't already that they will have a tough time pulling elite free agents there. Unless you think a player at 4 is going to be an All-NBA player, jump at the chance of adding a legit leader, veteran and AllNBA player around Jrue and Zion. Maybe they could do better than DD, but I kind of doubt it.
Seven Costanza
AG
Guitarsoup said:

New Orleans also needs to know if they don't already that they will have a tough time pulling elite free agents there. Unless you think a player at 4 is going to be an All-NBA player, jump at the chance of adding a legit leader, veteran and AllNBA player around Jrue and Zion. Maybe they could do better than DD, but I kind of doubt it.
The team should move to Seattle or Vancouver.
West Texan
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Guitarsoup said:

DeangeloVickers
AG
Nashville and St Louis should get an NBA team
Seven Costanza
AG
The Grizzlies should move to Nashville.
jteagle
AG
Seven Costanza said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yes because that worked so well for the other teams that were already there!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.