****OFFICIAL ROCKETS 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD****

165,142 Views | 1308 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll believe it when I see it.

Why would he agree to goto Portland?
rvk246
AG
Idk but they can definitely offer a better package than us. This is worse than Melo staying in NY because now we may not get him at all.
Guitarsoup
AG
Farmer1906
AG
rvk246 said:

Idk but they can definitely offer a better package than us. This is worse than Melo staying in NY because now we may not get him at all.

They can but Melo has the power. All he has to say is no. He can basically hold NY hostage. And by not trading him the GM is basically holding his own fans hostage by not keeping their star happy and not trading him.
ATM9000
AG
Farmer1906 said:

rvk246 said:

They can but Melo has the power. All he has to say is no. He can basically hold NY hostage. And by not trading him the GM is basically holding his own fans hostage by not keeping their star happy and not trading him.

Melo has more power for sure, but he doesn't hold more leverage than the Knicks do given their team situation with or without him. If he wants to play for a winner, the Knicks can wait for him to expand his list to some people who can offer better than Ryan Andersen and **** and be none the worse for it. A no trade clause give Carmelo a bit more power but the Knicks still own the leverage.
Farmer1906
AG
I guess I won't put anything past the Knocks **** management, but could you imagine Harden wanting out and basically making it know he doesn't want to play anymore yet Morey sits on his hands?

ATM9000
AG
Farmer1906 said:

I guess I won't put anything past the Knocks **** management, but could you imagine Harden wanting out and basically making it know he doesn't want to play anymore yet Morey sits on his hands?

Yes... I could. In fact I'd expect him to in the situation the Knicks are in right now. Star player wants to play for a contender? Cool give me a list of teams. Oh you only want to play for one that can offer us no cap relief or assets in return and make us probably worse off in the short run and no better in the long run? Well a smart GM looks at said players 2 seasons left on the contract and says 'if I can't get a better offer from the one team, I've got plenty of time still. I'm cool holding you or you can give me a few teams to work with to make a market and get a better deal.'

Knicks have a ton of time here and therefore still hold more leverage than Carmelo. I could see them holding him all season honestly if they don't find a better package.

Gonna need a lot of Morey magic for this to work.
rvk246
AG
The thing is that the only benefit NY is getting if Melo's traded to us, is a salary dump. They'd get nothing in return except about $10-15 saved in cap space. The third team takes on Anderson and a few draft picks/assets from us. This is the most realistic scenario.
Guitarsoup
AG
rvk246 said:

The thing is that the only benefit NY is getting if Melo's traded to us, is a salary dump. They'd get nothing in return except about $10-15 saved in cap space. The third team takes on Anderson and a few draft picks/assets from us. This is the most realistic scenario.
But the Kicks are in no danger of luxury tax. Just saving money by giving up the best player they have had in 20 years probably isn't that appealing.
Mr.Bond
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Stephen A doesn't know **** from Apple butter
rvk246
AG
I was thinking cap space like to go after a free agent next summer. It's pretty obvious that melo isn't making them better and instead of wasting $26 mil this year and next year they could use it on someone else.
lil99chris
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Guitarsoup said:

Stephen A doesn't know **** from Apple butter

....what about cheese doodles?
Guitarsoup
AG
Melo can opt out after this year, and if they don't move him, he probably will. So they save the money anyway.

There isn't really anyone left this year worth going after. Monta Ellis (on drug suspension) and David Lee?
rvk246
AG
It'd be tough to turn down that kind of money though. He ain't getting anywhere near $26M anywhere else. Also, I meant next year's free agency where tons of stars enter the open market.
Guitarsoup
AG
After this year, Melo will have earned 227mm plus endorsements.

And while he probably won't get 27mm/year anywhere for 2018-19, he will be 34 with over 1100 total NBA games PLUS lots of international ball. It is his last real chance at a contract and he may want to 1. play with friends 2. get the most money+most years possible. Lots of guys have turned down a big 1y deal for a longer deal with less per year. His leverage at 35y with 1200 games is lower.

Next year will be interesting with so many teams shooting their wad this year. But you will have marquee franchises like the Bulls, Lakers and Spurs with room as well as the 76ers with a lot of young talent on rookie contracts and Dallas trying to convince people that there is a team to be built around Dennis Smith and Harrison Barnes and they swear they won't sign anyone like Wesley Matthews or Chandler Parsons again.
RebAg13
AG
If there's one thing we know about Melo, he ain't turning down the money
rvk246
AG
Story filed to ESPN: Carmelo Anthony has expanded the list of teams with which he'd accept a trade -- including the Cleveland Cavaliers.

- Wojnarowski
rvk246
AG
If not us, I'd like to see him in Cleveland helping LeBron take down GS.
ATM9000
AG
rvk246 said:

Story filed to ESPN: Carmelo Anthony has expanded the list of teams with which he'd accept a trade -- including the Cleveland Cavaliers.

- Wojnarowski

BUT MELO HOLDS ALL THE POWER!

This is exactly what I was talking about. Knicks have no reason to cave until they get the package they want. My prediction is the list of approved teams keeps expanding, BUT the Cavs have like 3 different moves with their players alone that bring superior packages to the Knicks than the Rockets do and that's not even getting into draft assets.
rvk246
AG
I hope it's CLE if not us. I'd hate to see him go to Portland and lose in the first round. With the Cavs, he'll at least make the Finals more competitive than it was last year.
WES2006AG
AG
I think it's pretty clear we just don't have enough to give up for Melo. I have to imagine Morey has just about exhausted his options. But it it Morey so who knows.
rvk246
AG
If Morey was willing to include Gordon, Capela, or Ariza it would be a done deal. We need those guys though.
WES2006AG
AG
rvk246 said:

If Morey was willing to include Gordon, Capela, or Ariza it would be a done deal. We need those guys though.

I agree. This has always been us trying to catch the Knicks in a **** it kind of mood. They don't seem to want to play.
AG@RICE
AG
Apparently he added OKC to the list as well. I think this pretty much ends the Melo fantasy.
WES2006AG
AG
Would have loved Melo but this isn't a disaster. Sure Ryan Anderson's contract is terrible but he really does fit this system well. Let's just hope he isn't ice cold once the payoffs role around again.
RebAg13
AG
It would have been a bigger deal to get rid of Anderson's contract more than adding Melo. NY isn't getting anything good
Hickory High
AG
AG@RICE said:

Apparently he added OKC to the list as well. I think this pretty much ends the Melo fantasy.
What can OKC offer that we can't?
TrillOBrien
AG
Hickory High said:

AG@RICE said:

What can OKC offer that we can't?
a ball hog
rvk246
AG
I bet Morey is thinking about Ariza+Gordon for melo now. The thunder don't have much but Kanter's contract is better than Anderson's while Cleveland can offer Frye+Shump+pick.
TrillOBrien
AG
rvk246 said:

I bet Morey is thinking about Ariza+Gordon for melo now. The thunder don't have much but Kanter's contract is better than Anderson's while Cleveland can offer Frye+Shump+pick.
I'd rather have Gordon at 6th man than Melo in our starting lineup. From a chemistry standpoint alone, I think Gordon is much more vital to this team
Hickory High
AG
No way he gives up Ariza AND Gordon. No way.
ATM9000
AG
rvk246 said:

Thompson and Love are both good but Cleveland really can't play them at the same time in today's game. Wouldn't be shocked if the Cavs offer one of those 2 for Anthony and that's immediately better than the Rockets package.
CFTXAG10
AG
Melo to OKC. Kanter + McDermott + pick(s)

Russ
PG13
Melo
ATM9000
AG
... and... Carmelo is a Thunder.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Football season is **** and there goes basketball season

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.