****OFFICIAL ROCKETS 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD****

165,141 Views | 1308 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He goes on to say that the Cavs are looking to keep Love and trying to make a move to get Melo without including Kyrie or Love.

JR Smith has one year after this and his third year has a tiny guarantee. JR Smith+Channing Frye for Melo works financially. Frye is a ending deal. Replace JR Smith with Shumpert and you have to add another ~3mm to the deal for it to work. Shumpert is an ending contract.

Tristan Thompson
Love/Jeff Green
Melo/Dick Jefferson
Bron/Shumpert/Korver
Kyrie/Calderon

Likely? Not really or it would be done. But at least something like that doesn't add a lot to the cap going forward.
CFTXAG10
AG
AG@RICE said:

If the trade basically boils down to Anderson for Melo, I could be on board with this experiment; however, if it costs us Gorden or multiple picks this doesn't feel like a great idea.
I think that is why the deal still has yet to go through, and also explains the rumors about bringing in a third team to complete the deal. If Morey swaps Anderson + Non Gtd's + maybe a pick for Melo then the team definitely gets better from a talent perspective. Clearly the philosophy has been get the best players available and worry about the fit later. I mean one of the main reasons Gordon and Anderson had the seasons they did last year was because they bought into Dantoni's system. Will Melo do the same if he comes over? I don't know, but the Rockets offseason so far is an example of how you up your risk profile and try to chase a ring instead of settling for a first or second round exit.
Forum Troll
AG
Sam Amico basically works for the Cavs. I am not sure I'd put much stock into what he reported about some other NBA GM.
Guitarsoup
AG
5 best/worst off seasons.

Rockets #1

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-free-agency-winners-losers-houston-rockets-indiana-pacers-44c3aa8d09f1
CFTXAG10
AG

Still fishing.
Dan Scott
AG
DM will find a way. I know we all talk him up a lot but he's doing an amazing job. Somebody posted a while ago that under DM we never had a losing season. Our 2009 team was stacked but Yao and McGrady got hurt. We stayed competitive trying to manage our 2 superstars being out and eventually Harden became a Rocket to now we will hopefully have our own big 3 with quality role players around them. The man is working
CFTXAG10
AG
Spot on. If he can do it and not lose Ariza or Gordon the man is a wizard.
TrillOBrien
AG
2009 was supposed to be our year
HossAg
AG
I'm just ready for the deal to happen so I can stop googling Carmelo every 20 minutes
flashplayer
AG
If it makes y'all feel any better, I think the Rockets are in great shape with or without Carmelo and I don't think having him or not is going to put you at a significant advantage or disadvantage against the warriors and spurs.
Farmer1906
AG
flashplayer said:

If it makes y'all feel any better, I think the Rockets are in great shape with or without Carmelo and I don't think having him or not is going to put you at a significant advantage or disadvantage against the warriors and spurs.
I am only worried about one of those teams.
k20dub
AG
Yeah I feel like this move would obviously make our window for a title this year and next year since Melo and CP3 are in their early 30's. Just still don't think it's enough to overcome the Warriors. Would be fun as hell to watch though.
Ryan34
AG
flashplayer said:

I think it would help us match up against GS much better. Not sure it does much against SA except maybe force them to play Rudy Gay at the 4 more.
Farmer1906
AG
k20dub said:

Yeah I feel like this move would obviously make our window for a title this year and next year since Melo and CP3 are in their early 30's. Just still don't think it's enough to overcome the Warriors. Would be fun as hell to watch though.
I disagree. This is a 1-year shot. Paul and Melo are both going to be looking for huge deals after next season. It'll be their last big payday. I'm not so sure I want to be the team playing 37 and 38-year-old Paul and Melo max money. If we get Melo, then we won't be keeping Melo & Paul after this year unless something crazy happens. Like we win a title and want to do everything to keep it together or maybe Lebron wants to join the squad and everyone takes a smaller cut to make it work. I could see us playing Paul to a big deal and trying to lure someone else to big the new #3 after Melo departs (or takes a lot less).
k20dub
AG
Let's convince LeBron he can come and expand his Chinese market.
Dan Scott
AG
It's sounds crazy but Lebron could be a Houston Rocket in 2018. Wade, James, Carmelo, and CP3 have said they want to play together. They have to know that for that to happen, there would be a paycut. Wade and James are free agents next season. If half the banana boat is already in Houston and Lebron and Wade want to win a ring for their buddies, it only makes sense to come to Houston. We already know Lebron isn't playing in Cleveland in 2018.
Texaggie7nine
I shudder to imagine the ticket prices if that happened.
7nine
Dan Scott
AG
Quote:

James: I really hope that, before our career is over, we can all play together. At least one, maybe one or two seasons me, Melo, D-Wade, CP we can get a year in. I would actually take a pay cut to do that. (Bleacher Report, 2016)
https://theringer.com/the-ballad-of-the-banana-boat-brotherhood-6bc824ff2868
Dan Scott
AG
I don't even like Carmelo, but if it improves our chances at getting Lebron, then I'm all for it.
CFTXAG10
AG
Its funny because it sounds like a team someone tried to put together on ClutchFans or ESPN's Trade Machine
k20dub
AG
Quote from CP3 in interview.

Quote:

What can you say about Melo possibly being a teammate if the New York Knicks trade him to Houston or make him a free agent by buying him out?

Man, sit back and wait.

Texaggie7nine
k20dub said:

Quote from CP3 in interview.

Quote:

What can you say about Melo possibly being a teammate if the New York Knicks trade him to Houston or make him a free agent by buying him out?

Man, sit back and wait.

That could be more of a "I don't really know if it will happen, we just have to wait and see." answer.
7nine
Hickory High
AG
2020 Houston Rockets:
PG: Chris Paul, Jarrett Jack
SG: James Harden, Dwayne Wade
SF: Lebron James, Rudy Gay
PF: Carmelo Anthony
C: Deandre Jordan
coop-aero-06
AG
Hickory High said:

2020 Houston Rockets:
That was Vision 20/20 all along.
TrillOBrien
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I shudder to imagine the ticket prices if that happened.
Could care less about ticket prices. I'll be more than happy to watch from home if it means we have Lebron, Harden, Melo, CP3, and Wade in Houston
HossAg
AG
But you do care some
TrillOBrien
AG
I've used the phrase "could care less" for most of my life and just recently found out I've been using it wrong. Hard to break old habits.
mAgnoliAg
AG
TrillOBrien said:

I've used the phrase "could care less" for most of my life and just recently found out I've been using it wrong. Hard to break old habits.

You just never thought about what you were saying?
TrillOBrien
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

TrillOBrien said:

You just never thought about what you were saying?
to be honest....NOPE!
Texaggie7nine
Irregardless he used it wrong.
7nine
WES2006AG
AG
coop-aero-06 said:

Hickory High said:

2020 Houston Rockets:
This might be enough to finally beat GS.
Farmer1906
AG
WES2006AG said:

coop-aero-06 said:

Hickory High said:

2020 Houston Rockets:
This might be enough to finally beat GS.
By then they'll be too old and GS will still be in their prime.
matthop
AG

shano0603
TrillOBrien
AG
if that is true (I don't trust anonymous fan accounts on Twitter), I would assume they want to wait until after the CP3 press conference

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.