****OFFICIAL ROCKETS 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD****

165,114 Views | 1308 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
RebAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Carmelo has the power. Can still force his way out
Guitarsoup
AG
He can't really force his way out. He can only choose what teams he goes to.
ATM9000
AG
No he can't.
Farmer1906
AG
He can be a problem for the team where they don't want him around.
Guitarsoup
AG
aggie1906 said:

He can be a problem for the team where they don't want him around.
Think they are way past that point.
CFTXAG10
AG
Its actually perfect if you are Scott Perry....

- I was hired by the Knicks as GM
- I tried to convince Melo to stay and buy into what I would build
- He scoffed at it and said he wanted to go to Houston
- I traded him, dumped a lot of cap space in the process and got some picks in return
Farmer1906
AG
Then he's gone.
Guitarsoup
AG
aggie1906 said:

Then he's gone.
Except he has a no-trade clause and he will only be traded to two teams that don't have any assets that the Knicks want. That makes things way more complicated and is why nothing has happened despite discussions for 2-3 weeks.
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

aggie1906 said:

Then he's gone.
Except he has a no-trade clause and he will only be traded to two teams that don't have any assets that the Knicks want. That makes things way more complicated and is why nothing has happened despite discussions for 2-3 weeks.
I understand what is going on. He is either going to be traded, released, or stay with the Knicks. I'm about 99% sure he won't be on the Knicks.
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't think the Knicks will release him, either. With the new GM, I think the Knicks are trying to convince him to stay or widen the number of teams they can trade him to. The Knicks have the leverage in making him stay if he doesn't.

Melo screwed up the Knicks on the way in (depleting all their talent) by forcing a mid-season trade and I don't think they are going let him further screw up the team on the way out.
Farmer1906
AG
And he has the leverage of being a big baby and making life hell for the new GM if they don't trade him.

Sounds like the new executives have already pissed him off.
Quote:

Anthony is not pleased that the Knicks are not fully committed to making a trade happen now. A source told Isola that Anthony is under the belief he will be traded to the Houston Rockets, because the Knicks had been telling Anthony he will be traded.
Olsen
AG
Meanwhile at the Toyota Center for CP3 Day...

Guitarsoup
AG
Then they suspend him, don't take on any bad contracts and save his salary.
Farmer1906
AG
That all seems very unlikely.
Guitarsoup
AG
More or less likely than a 4 or 5 team trade finding a team that can absorb Ryan Anderson's contract AND has young assets they are willing to send the Knicks?
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

More or less likely than a 4 or 5 team trade finding a team that can absorb Ryan Anderson's contract AND has young assets they are willing to send the Knicks?
The trade is more likely. Very clearly more likely. It was almost done a day or two ago.
CFTXAG10
AG
Perry 5 year deal now official with Knicks per Woj
Ryan34
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The Knicks have the leverage in making him stay if he doesn't.

Only if Melo and other teams believe the Knicks will actually go that route, which isn't likely.
Guitarsoup
AG
If their other option is to take on contracts/players that they don't want, I think it is believable.

I think the Knicks have been pretty straight forward in refusing to take on players/contracts they don't want.
Ryan34
AG
Talks would not have progressed to the point they reportedly had if the proposed deal wasn't meeting the Knicks' expectations. Logically that means they found another team that is willing to take Ryan Anderson.

Now, maybe the new GM doesn't agree with the deal they had in place, or even some other new team approached the Knicks with an offer that they like more. But the chain of events wouldn't make sense if they hadn't resolved the Knicks' initial demands on contracts (or lack thereof).
Dan Scott
AG
The trade will happen. This is just the new GM coming in to get his dick wet a little.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Talks would not have progressed to the point they reportedly had if the proposed deal wasn't meeting the Knicks' expectations. Logically that means they found another team that is willing to take Ryan Anderson.
There are two teams that are happy to take him. Portland and New Orleans. Neither has young assets with cap friendly contracts to send out. Maybe there are more teams, but with most teams pushing up on the luxury tax, a one-dimensional player with 63mm doesn't make a lot of sense for many teams. I don't think he makes any sense for NOLA - they need wings, not a stretch 4.

If they had a proposal meeting the Knicks expectations, the deal would be done.
Ryan34
AG
Not necessarily. This sounds like a classic case of a new leader coming in and halting a big decision from being made before he has time to analyze it himself.

As for Anderson, I think his contract sucks too, but there could be more than just those 2 teams that are willing to take him. Don't ask me why. But obviously the Rockets had resolved that obstacle and, per several reports, only had minor details to work out.
Olsen
AG
ABC13 is going to live stream CP3 Day on their website and TV channel.
Guitarsoup
AG
They were obviously trying to get a deal done for weeks before he came on or was even interviewed.
CFTXAG10
AG
Wednesday
-2 yard line, minor details being worked out

Thursday
-Knicks looking to make deal for Perry as GM
-Knicks pausing all trade talks involving Melo

Today
-Knicks want to convince Melo to stay or be open to other teams; want him to meet with Hornacek & Execs
-Perry signs 5 year deal w/ Knicks as GM; Kings get cash considerations and 2nd rounder
-Melo not happy that Knicks are stalling on trade talks, still expects to be a Rocket
Forum Troll
AG
mAgnoliAg
AG
Don't worry y'all Guitarsoup is just scared about the thought of us also having Carmelo
CFTXAG10
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
One of the most interesting parts of that article happens to be that Chris Paul and Carmelo Anthony have the same agent, Leon Rose, who happens to be in Houston today for the CP3 Presser.

Also, this:

Quote:

According to an executive of one the four teams involved in the proposed trade, all sides, including Anthony, are frustrated over reports that Knicks president Steve Mills is having second thoughts.
So basically the deal is in place and the 3 other teams are ready to pull the trigger but Mills/Perry are holding it up
Farmer1906
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

Don't worry y'all Guitarsoup is just scared about the thought of us also having Carmelo
I'm getting the sense that you're right. Maybe sour grapes over CP3 too?
Guitarsoup
AG
mAgnoliAg said:

He's not a player that worries me for a variety of reasons, especially combined with DAntoni.

If he being in the rest of the bananas boat crew, that's a different story
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

mAgnoliAg said:

He's not a player that worries me for a variety of reasons, especially combined with DAntoni.

If he being in the rest of the bananas boat crew, that's a different story
Guitarsoup
AG
Ok
Olsen
AG
Chris Paul Introductory Press Conference

http://www.nba.com/rockets/live/media-day

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.