****OFFICIAL ROCKETS 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD****

165,174 Views | 1308 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
RebAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

That much for a guy who crumbled in the biggest game of his career... At home? Enjoy, Houston.

Don't feed the troll
Hickory High
AG
AustinAg2012 said:

That much for a guy who crumbled in the biggest game of his career... At home? Enjoy, Houston.
This.

Another example of how similar the Rockets and Aggies are. Outrageous extensions to people who don't deserve it.
flashplayer
AG
I'm curious how that year to year distribution goes. That's an average of 57 million a year. He's going to take up half the cap by himself, right?
mAgnoliAg
AG
Hickory High said:

AustinAg2012 said:

This.

Another example of how similar the Rockets and Aggies are. Outrageous extensions to people who don't deserve it.

My take on this is that I didn't think that much per year was even possible yet so I think it's too much, but if anyone deserves it, it's James so that's where you're wrong.
TREX01
Rockets just locked themselves into not quite good enough to contend for the next decade. Good job Leslie and Morey.
Hickory High
AG
So do you just willfully ignore his playoff performances?
ATM9000
AG
Hickory High said:

No... but you realize that people said the EXACT same thing about Lebron and Durant at a time but not anymore.

The game is so damn clear in today's NBA players marker yet fans don't see it. If you have a top 10 player, that is the paramount asset, it's rare so you lock them up for as long as you can. Having a top 10 player guarantees you are a playoff team and you aren't attracting any other guys to win even better if you are ****ty.
Ryan34
AG
flashplayer said:

I'm curious how that year to year distribution goes. That's an average of 57 million a year. He's going to take up half the cap by himself, right?
Per the CBA (and the Designated Veteran Extension), he cannot take up more than 35% of the cap. Also, the $228M is over the next 6 years, not 4. The 4 year extension would be worth $169M based on current cap projections.
flashplayer
AG
Ok then that's not nearly as crazy as it sounded. Seems like a better option than losing a franchise player to free agency.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Ryan34 said:

flashplayer said:

Per the CBA (and the Designated Veteran Extension), he cannot take up more than 35% of the cap. Also, the $228M is over the next 6 years, not 4. The 4 year extension would be worth $169M based on current cap projections.

Yeah I saw this after I posted. Everybody (Woj) was tweeting out 4 yr 228. Idiots
tremble
AG
Not bad at al then
k20dub
AG
People *****ing about this? There's a max you can pay a player. James harden is obviously worth the max. All those complaining about Harden, kindly GTFO as he will be here likely the rest of his career.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ryan34 said:

flashplayer said:

Per the CBA (and the Designated Veteran Extension), he cannot take up more than 35% of the cap.
Not true. The first year has to be 35% of the cap max, but every other year is indexed to the first year, not the cap. So if the cap grows by 1% each year but his salary grows by 8%,it takes more than 35% of the cap.

So if he starts at 36mm * 8% for 4 years, it is 49mm in year 4. But if the cap is growing at only 1% those four years, the total cap will be ~105mm and he takes almost 50% of it at 49mm. All numbers ballparked, but you get the idea.
WES2006AG
AG
I like it. We are clearly never going to tank so our main route to obtaining the best players in the NBA is through FA. These days you have to have a superstar to get a superstar and with James locked up we now have at least 1 superstar to build around for the foreseeable future.
Ryan34
AG
I get that. Just pointing out that the max is determined off the cap first.
Guitarsoup
AG
In case anyone actually cares about Harden's numbers:

2017: $26.5 (last year)
2018: $28.3 (this year)
2019: $30.4
2020: $37.8
2021: $40.8
2022: $43.8
2023: $46.8
Dan Scott
AG
I still remember it being a huge deal ARod got 10 years 252M from the rangers. NBA players get that in half the time now
flashplayer
AG
k20dub said:

People *****ing about this? There's a max you can pay a player. James harden is obviously worth the max. All those complaining about Harden, kindly GTFO as he will be here likely the rest of his career.

Slow your roll. No one is getting upset. The way this was originally reported made it sound as if he'd be getting over 50 million a year. Any player is questionable at 50% of the cap.
k20dub
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
Beard: "You can look but you can't touch"
TrillOBrien
AG
Hickory High said:

AustinAg2012 said:

This.

Harden 100% deserves this contract.. He's the reason we have been to the playoffs each year he has been here. He's the reason guys like Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, Nene, and many others have been able to either revitalize their careers or continue playing well. He's the reason we attract big name players like Dwight Howard and Chris Paul (and possibly Melo). Yes, he makes mistakes sometimes in key situations, but every single player with a huge contract has done the same at some point in their careers. James Harden deserves this contract, and the only people whining about it are the same people constantly whining about wanting Sumlin gone every day of their lives when there is no better option available.
TrillOBrien
AG
Guitarsoup said:

In case anyone actually cares about Harden's numbers:

2017: $26.5 (last year)
2018: $28.3 (this year)
2019: $30.4
2020: $37.8
2021: $40.8
2022: $43.8
2023: $46.8
Not bad honestly. With the addition of advertisements on jerseys, increased TV revenue with more competition in the West, etc., the salary cap will rise and continue to do so by 2022 and beyond. By that time, guys like Curry, Lebron, Draymond, AD, Durant, and other up-and-coming stars will be up for a new contract and will be making far more than what we will be paying Harden.
RebAg13
AG
The people complaining about NBA salaries. Would you feel better if the owners kept more?
BMX Bandit
mAgnoliAg said:

Ryan34 said:

flashplayer said:

Yeah I saw this after I posted. Everybody (Woj) was tweeting out 4 yr 228. Idiots
all the WoJ tweets I saw said 4 year extension with total at that amount.
Dan Scott
AG
If it meant ticket prices come down then yes, but they wouldn't do that anyways so it don't matter
dixie whiskey
AG
Hickory High said:

youre right, the rockets should have either lowballed their top tier superstar an offer (which would be rejected) or just let him play out his contract before offering anything. those are the smart plays. why throw this kind of money around to a guy under contract when you dont have to? so much easier to let him play his existing contract out and then compete with the entite nba for your disgruntled superstar in free agency. plus you want to send the message to any other potential superstar considering houston that youre not gonna just throw max money at their prima donna asses unless they prove that they can single handedly win you a title. i mean, did you even watch the playoffs? james harden had a BAD GAME! when it mattered! just proves hes garbage.

even his regular season was questionable, sure he lead the nba in assists, but what about points? gotta score points to win games. and he didnt lead the league in rebounds either did he? how are you gonna get the ball If youre not rebounding? and i could be wrong but looking at the numbers, are you seriously gonna tell me he didnt even break big o's triple double record? what are the rockets even doing with this guy, ensuring mediocrity? when you have a starting lineup loaded with guys like pat bev, ryan anderson, clint capela, and trevor ariza, theres no excuse not to be in the western conference finals. what kind of buster cant even match their regular season numbers in a 7 game playoff series against a seasoned dyansty like the spurs with the rest of the roster falling apart around them?

hickory, i hope you dont mind, but ive taken the liberty of personally putting a call in with les alexander, and im demanding he can old moray and get you in the front office. youve demonstrated that you have an advanced understanding of the rockets from a personell standpoint and vision going forward, as well as a finger on the pulse of the entire landscape of the league, including what it takes to build a champion. ive been reading this forum for some time now, and you just get it- always basing your posts on logic and reason rather than stamping your litttle feet and throwing an emotional temper tantrum like some would. i especially love how your mind is advanced enough to see the big picture and constantly draw parallels to aggie football because nba contract negotiations and college football are the EXACT same.
so while we wait on les to get your contract dialed in, would you mind laying out the framework, in as much detail as possible, for how exactly you would take this roster as currently constructed and turn it into a champion? i imagine it starts with gettind rid of harden and paul and getting back to the dominant rockets team that featured Trevor ariza as the #1 option, but ill let you explain and school these suckers on how its done.
Enzo The Baker
AG

Quote:

Ian Begley: I'm told Carmelo Anthony is confident a deal with get done at this point with Houston.
From a NY reporter that works for ESPN.
k20dub
AG
Forum Troll
AG
People complain about having a top 5 player locked up for the majority of the prime of his career? In today's NBA?
SeanDaAg2005
AG
Texaggie7nine
Dammit! Don't post on this thread unless we got Melo. I keep getting excited every time I see there is a new post.
7nine
Good Poster
AG
Lol hickory is a way bigger troll than I ever was
Forum Troll
AG
already posted
gougler08
AG
I say to read 5 posts up to see this exact same thing
Hickory High
AG
Oh my gosh, it might actually be happening

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.