****OFFICIAL ROCKETS 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD****

165,131 Views | 1308 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

https://theringer.com/chris-paul-james-harden-fit-houston-rockets-a13a944b7b6b
Good write up. My favorite part:

Quote:

Over the past four years, Harden shot 39.5 percent on 886 catch-and-shoot 3-pointers, while Paul shot 43.9 percent on 330 attempts, per SportVU. Those guys are capable of draining 3s off the catch and off of screens, or they can attack a closeout and make a play off the bounce. Houston's offense was intoxicating last year; just imagine the possibilities now. D'Antoni must feel like he's dreaming.
E
AG
shano0603 said:

This better work out... we aren't gonna have draft picks for a while.
Not having first rounders hasnt really hurt us anyways. The last impact player we have drafted in the first round was Yao Ming...
Guitarsoup
AG
E said:

shano0603 said:

Not having first rounders hasnt really hurt us anyways. The last impact player we have drafted in the first round was Yao Ming...
Clint Capela in 2014.
shano0603
AG
astros4545 said:

shano0603 said:

Nothing to lose IMO

Either we win it all, or the Warriors do for the next 5 years anyways

We will win it never year after we get Lebron
Texaggie7nine
I'm really starting to hope Shawn Long is a long term Rocket.

Backup Center/StretchForward that can hit 3s

1st year in the league.
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/longsh01/gamelog/2017/

7nine
Hickory High
AG
I've been crying all day

is this real life?
ATM9000
AG
I'd love to see Carmelo on a team where he's like no question the 3rd best player on the team and how he adapts to that. Not sure he's been in that situation before. I think there's a shot he takes well to it and if so, that's an incredible team.
shano0603
AG
ATM9000 said:

I'd love to see Carmelo on a team where he's like no question the 3rd best player on the team and how he adapts to that. Not sure he's been in that situation before. I think there's a shot he takes well to it and if so, that's an incredible team.

How would we get him though?
ATM9000
AG
No clue... I have a basic level of NBA cap rules but definitely not enough to craft a hypothetical trade.
ElCheAg
Bulldog73
AG
My understanding is that it'd take place if he was bought out of his contract. In that situation, we could give an exception and not give up any players.
Guitarsoup
AG
shano0603 said:

ATM9000 said:

How would we get him though?
Knicks fail to find a trade partner.
Knicks buy out Melo's contract and put him on waivers
No one claims Melo
Melo signs with Rockets for MLE, ignoring possibly higher offers.
AG@RICE
AG
Ill probably miss Pat more than any player we have ever traded away. He wasn't the most talented or the most skilled, but his toughness, energy and heart made him one of my favorite Rockets of all time...

Hickory High
AG
Coach Pringles sounded so sad talking about Bev in the press conference that just ended.

Texags is garbage
AG@RICE said:

Ill probably miss Pat more than any player we have ever traded away. He wasn't the most talented or the most skilled, but his toughness, energy and heart made him one of my favorite Rockets of all time...

Will definitely miss all of the stories about him bringing it 100% at practice every day.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Pat and Chuck Hayes probably my two favorite non-superstar Rockets ever.
shano0603
AG
Can alway cross our fingers that we could convince him to come back after next season. He only has 1 more year guaranteed and then a team option... I would assume the Clips are gonna want that money to throw at a lot of people.
WES2006AG
AG
shano0603 said:

Can alway cross our fingers that we could convince him to come back after next season. He only has 1 more year guaranteed and then a team option... I would assume the Clips are gonna want that money to throw at a lot of people.
I really hope this could work out. I'm still a little shocked that Bev is going to be a Clipper.
tremble
AG
astros4545 said:

shano0603 said:

Nothing to lose IMO

Either we win it all, or the Warriors do for the next 5 years anyways

Exactly. At this point gamble everything and see where the chips fall because the alternative is just wasting the prime of Harden's career and making him grumpy. If we have to tank 5 years from now, who cares because we at least tried to do something big.
shano0603
AG
Maybe someone who knows more about how everything works can answer this... if we traded Anderson and a future first round pick for Paul George.... and Melo clears waivers.. could we use our MLE and melo accept a smaller offer and end up with both?
Agnzona
I believe that is correct.
Texags is garbage
Watching my co-workers attempt to become salary cap experts today was a real treat at the office today.
gougler08
AG
shano0603 said:

Maybe someone who knows more about how everything works can answer this... if we traded Anderson and a future first round pick for Paul George.... and Melo clears waivers.. could we use our MLE and melo accept a smaller offer and end up with both?
Frok
AG
another angry ag said:

Watching my co-workers attempt to become salary cap experts today was a real treat at the office today.

My coworkers don't even know who Chris Paul is. They are vaguely aware sports exist.
AustinAg2K
ATM9000 said:

Not quite the same, but he had no issues with Team USA. In fact, he became one of the leaders on a team full of stars.
ATM9000
AG
another angry ag said:

That's why I quit pretending to understand the salary cap. Too much stuff going on to pretend I know what I'm talking about there.

More fun to just throw talk I've heard on the fun NBA rumors on a message board like this and let you nerds work out the feasibility.
Texags is garbage
Trying out a new drinking game I made up tonight.

Take a shot every time an analyst says CP3 and Harden are both ball dominant.
ATM9000
AG
Ball dominant is such a silly term.
CFTXAG10
AG
Just follow @bimathug on Twitter. David is pretty damn good. Not always 100% accurate but usually has a firm grip on the cap situation.
Texags is garbage
Hot Take: People forget there's only one ball.
CFTXAG10
AG
I know it's a little different due to positions but everyone said the same thing about Durant in Golden State. How can a guy who demands so many shots join a team with Curry and Thompson. Seems like that worked out fine. If Harden and Paul are willing to share time playing off the ball it shouldn't be a problem
ATM9000
AG
I just love this time of year and all the generic hot takes.

'They have too many guys who need the ball in their hands to succeed!'

'Team needs a bruiser!'

'Team needs more vets!'

'They are 1 player away still!'
CFTXAG10
AG
Morey on 790 w/ Clanton this afternoon 6/29:

-Joked about not being able to say whether he was late because he was talking to Paul George
-CP3 deal allowed us to put together some nice exceptions
-Deal was win-win for Rockets-Clippers
-Sign and trade was always better for the Rockets; even if it didn't happen until July
-Referenced USA Basketball team for why this will work; mentioned articles saying Durant wouldn't work in GS
-Advantageous to do this early, # needed to match for Chris was lower now than what it would've been later
-"Can we enjoy adding a HOF roster player for a minute?" - after asked about adding more players
-made fun of Clanton for putting trades into ESPN NBA Trade Machine
-Wouldn't necessarily expect another USA Team Basketball member, but won't rule anything out
-Will bring Nene back
-Not done adding to roster, will look to fill through exceptions to get to 15
-Looking for a solid 8-10 member rotation, joked about Dantoni only using 6-7 in playoffs anyway
-CP3 meeting with Dantoni tonight to discuss role on team and go over x's and o's
-Morey went over options in free agency with Harden immediately after season and he had CP3 at the top of the list of guys he wants to play with
Texaggie7nine
Thanks for the fill in.
7nine
Guitarsoup
AG
The problem I would have with melo in Houston is the same as LMA in San Antonio. With Harden and Paul, you will have fantastic ball movement. Melo stops the ball like LMA does. It ruins that movement

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.