****OFFICIAL ROCKETS 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD****

165,128 Views | 1308 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Ryan34
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hickory High said:

Oh my gosh, it might actually be happening
gougler08
AG
Ryan34 said:

Hickory High said:

Oh my gosh, it might actually be happening

I assume Melo?
Texaggie7nine
I have yet to see any real evidence beyond the earlier statement that Melo's people think a deal is close.

I've seen reports that Cavs are still trying to get him. I've seen the report that Hardaway Jr wants him to stay....

It may be days before we hear anything I guess.
7nine
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
aggie1906 said:

That's from 2014 when they tried to bring in Melo+Dwightmare. It became a big deal because Lin was already on the roster wearing #7 and he felt disrespected b/c of it.
Farmer1906
AG
Guitarsoup said:

aggie1906 said:

That's from 2014 when they tried to bring in Melo+Dwightmare. It became a big deal because Lin was already on the roster wearing #7 and he felt disrespected b/c of it.
I'm aware.
flashplayer
AG
When do y'all think CP3 signs an extension? Or did this already happen and I missed it?
Ryan34
AG
I know he's referring to Melo, but I'm wondering what prompted that statement.
Farmer1906
AG
RebAg13
Forum Troll
AG
When is this trade going to happen ugh. So much smoke.
TrillOBrien
AG
What are we expected to give up for Melo?
Mr.Bond
AG
TrillOBrien said:

What are we expected to give up for Melo?

I would suspect Ryan Anderson and some smaller pieces
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

RebAg13
AG
Rockets Twitter thinks it might happen tonight
Farmer1906
AG
MathNewman06
k20dub
HossAg
TrillOBrien
AG
CactusThomas
AG
Say what you will about his performance at the end of the Rockets post season last year but be sure to consider how many minutes in how many games he had played that season. He was running on fumes to say the least. Doesn't completely excuse the choke but I wouldn't worry about it happening again with the addition of cp.

The impact he's had on bringing other stars to Houston cannot be overstated in my opinion. Other than the PG13 rental it's the opposite impact that Russell Westbrook has had. That is the biggest difference between the two. And that is why James is a much more valuable player than russ despite the awards.

I am very excited to watch the Rockets next year with or without Melo. But I'll see myself out as I wouldn't really consider myself a Rockets fan.
shano0603
AG
aggie1906 said:

What did the tweet say?!?!?
TrillOBrien
AG
the guy that runs Dream Shake was sitting behind Woj and he overheard Woj say that the Melo deal could be complete tonight
mAgnoliAg
AG
Well I guess I'm staying up late tonight even though I have to wake up at 5
RebAg13
AG
Sportscenter just said "it's a matter of time according to Carmelo and the Knicks"

Saw this on twitter
Forum Troll
AG
Farmer1906
AG
MF big 3!

I have no idea if this actually will work, but I love that it is coming together and we're going all in and actually trying to knock off one of the best teams of all time. Any normal year and most would have us pegged at the favorite and damn close to it.

...This better be happening
Farmer1906
AG
shano0603 said:

aggie1906 said:

What did the tweet say?!?!?
That he was in the same room as WOJ and heard him say he expected Melo to Houston tonight. He went on to say he thought it was WOJ's prediction, not a statement of fact.

He = Writer (owner?) of Dreamshake
k20dub
AG
So is this assumption that it's Anderson that's gone?

It's either him or Gordon right?
Farmer1906
AG
k20dub said:

It will be Anderson. I think to make Gordon work we would have to do Ariza too which isn't happening as he was a big reason for CP3 to HOU.
TrillOBrien
AG
k20dub said:

I don't think we can afford to lose Gordon now that we don't have Lou or Beverley anymore.
TrillOBrien
AG
I don't really follow the Knicks, so can someone please explain the knock on Melo?

I'm looking at his stats, and he's still putting up good numbers, yet his team has continued to suck each of the last 4 seasons. Is it a chemistry issue (him reuniting with D'antoni is worrisome)? Is it a lack of talent around him? Injuries?

Can't seem to wrap my head around why a guy as talented as him hasn't been able to carry a team in the lowly Eastern Conference to the playoffs the last few years
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

I don't really follow the Knicks, so can someone please explain the knock on Melo?
Poor defender.

Inefficient scorer. Last three seasons combined: .436/.348 with TS% of .532%. 53% is about league average.

As he has gotten older, he can't slash like he used to, so he settles for more jumpers. Last year only 20% of his shots were taken within 10 feet of the basket while his first four years it was more like 50%.

He stops ball movement. Only about 30% of his shots are assisted. He likes to play the isolation game, which is kind of against what MDA wants. Spurs have the exact same problem with The Marcus.

He had a lot of wear. About 1050 total NBA games plus international ball.

Probably most importantly, his shoes are terrible.

He's still a very crafty scorer and isn't afraid to mix it up down low. Those are his main advantages.
Guitarsoup
AG
http://amicohoops.net/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-houston-rockets-jose-calderon-lebron-james/
shano0603
AG
Guitarsoup said:

http://amicohoops.net/nba-rumors-cleveland-cavaliers-carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-houston-rockets-jose-calderon-lebron-james/

I don't understand why the Cavs would give up Love for Melo.
AG@RICE
AG
Im not really certain replacing Anderson with Melo actually makes us that much better.

This feels similar to when we traded Horry, Cassell, Chucky Brown and Mark Bryant for Charles Barkley. We got a 33 year old superstar who could still put up numbers, but ultimately the team wasn't much better. In the following years he got fatter, slower, and more ineffective.

Melo is just about the same player as Ryan Anderson at this point in his career: Good shooter, bad defender, underwhelming rebounder.

The biggest addition he would bring over Anderson is better post play...do we really need that?

If the trade basically boils down to Anderson for Melo, I could be on board with this experiment; however, if it costs us Gorden or multiple picks this doesn't feel like a great idea.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.