****OFFICIAL ROCKETS 2017 OFFSEASON THREAD****

165,139 Views | 1308 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Texaggie7nine
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Would much rather have PG13 over Melo, but the cost might be too high
I think everyone wants PG13 over Melo.

Buuuut Melo may be more realistic is the new GM ditches Melo.

The problem with Melo is fit. Can we get the guy who will play the PF and shoot the corner 3 or the drama queen who wants the ball in his hands shooting mid range shots as a 3.
CFTXAG10
AG
Pumpkinhead
AG
Watching a team with Harden/Paul/Melo/Ariza/Anderson/etc. going up against the Warriors would be fun.

I think the typical game would be Warriors winning games like 125-115 because of the Warriors superior defense, but I think it would be some entertaining offensive score fests kind of like the Warriors-Cavs Finals series was.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Can I get a cliff's-notes explanation as to what Morey is doing re:cap-salary manipulation that won't be allowed under the new CBA?
Guitarsoup
AG
Revival03 said:

Can I get a cliff's-notes explanation as to what Morey is doing re:cap-salary manipulation that won't be allowed under the new CBA?

He's getting the trade approved before July 1 when 2018 salaries start
Teddy Perkins
AG
Ok, but I'm seeing a lot of noise like this

Ag_07
AG
Here is a good read on what's happening.

Quote:

Breakdown Of Math Behind Rockets' Trades
June 28th, 2017 at 1:14pm CST by Luke Adams

Earlier today, news broke that the Clippers will be sending Chris Paul to the Rockets in a blockbuster trade, with Lou Williams, Patrick Beverley, and Sam Dekker heading to Los Angeles. However, that trade is not yet official, and can't be made official based on the terms reported, since it doesn't meet the NBA's salary-matching rules.

The Rockets are currently a little below the cap, but Paul's salary would take them above the cap, with means they'd need to take advantage of the traded player exception to complete the deal. Based on NBA rules, Houston needs to include enough outgoing salary to get within $5MM of Paul's 2016/17 salary, which is $22,868,827. So, if Paul is willing to waive the 15% trade kicker in his contract, the Rockets' magic number for outgoing salary is $17,868,827.

Here are the 2016/17 cap numbers for Williams, Beverley, and Dekker:

• Williams: $7,000,000
  • Beverley: $6,000,000
  • Dekker: $1,720,560
  • Total: $14,720,560

That package leaves the Rockets $3,148,267 short of the outgoing salary required to land Paul before the new league year begins. It's possible Houston could wait until after July 1 to complete the deal, but the team would need to include even more salary at that point, since CP3 will get a raise, while the total value of the Rockets' value decreases due to a slight pay cut for Beverley.

The Rockets have reportedly now added Montrezl Harrell and his $1,045,000 salary to their trade package, and have other pieces on their roster that they could include, but the majority of those players are either too valuable to move or don't earn enough money to make up the difference.

That's why, as David Aldridge of TNT tweets, the Rockets have been calling teams all over the league in an effort to find non-guaranteed salaries to include in the deal. A "horde" of teams is involved or trying to get involved in those discussions, according to Brian Windhorst of ESPN.com (Twitter links), who adds that the Rockets are telling teams they've assembled the necessary pieces. Since rosters expand to 20 players in the offseason, roster limits haven't stopped Houston from adding extra players.

Because the Rockets finished the season about $3.1MM below the cap, the team can acquire players in trade using that cap space. Typically, the CBA restricts teams from trading for a player, then flipping him right away in another deal that aggregates his salary with other salaries. However, that rule doesn't apply to players acquired using cap room.

Here's what the Rockets have done so far today:
Liggins, Quarterman, and Kelly all have fully or heavily non-guaranteed salaries for the 2017/18 season, making them ideal trade pieces. If we assume all three of those players plus the original four Rockets will be included in the Paul trade, Houston now appears to be just $257,315 away from having enough salary to make the deal work, and the club still has enough cap room left to absorb up to about $1.27MM in salary.

Unless our math is slightly off, it seems the Rockets will need to include one more salary in their trade. If that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if we hear by the end of the day about one last player who will make up that. And if Houston is able to include a little more salary than the absolute minimum required, Paul could also potentially hang onto part of his trade bonus.
Bulldog73
AG
I'm just guessing here as I truly have no idea, but are we trading for these guys and also including them in the trade to get within the appropriate % of salary going to LAC we we're receiving?

After reading above, I was, in a very simple sense, right.
Guitarsoup
AG
I've got no clue
Teddy Perkins
AG
Quote:

To reach the magic number Houston has been sending cash considerations to several teams to acquire players on minimum contracts, $543,471 in the 2016 - 2017 season.

All of these players have non-guaranteed contracts for the 2017 - 2018 season. Meaning they can be traded to the Clippers as a half-a-million cap filler to make the trade work. Then L.A. can unceremoniously cut all four of them.

This is a Bond-villain level of shrewdness from Morey because starting July 1st non-guaranteed contracts will have no cap value in future trades under the new collective bargaining agreement. The rules will forbid him from doing this.

I think I found the answer here. Basically, you won't be able to use non-guaranteed contracts as filler to make the trade value equal under the new CBA.
Guitarsoup
AG
Should call that the Dampier clause.
Guitarsoup
AG
DP
Dan Scott
AG
The Rockets will start the 2018 season with Harden, Carmelo, Paul, Wade, and Lebron. It's coming together.
Farmer1906
AG
Dan Scott said:

The Rockets will start the 2018 season with Harden, Carmelo, Paul, Wade, and Lebron. It's coming together.
2012 called and wants its Olympic team back.
Texaggie7nine
Dan Scott said:

And then just maybe we will have a shot at winning more than 1 game in the conference finals.
7nine
k20dub
AG

Like I said this morning. In Morey we trust.
Dan Scott
AG
Was wade on that team? Dantoni was an assistant coach. Like I said all coming together
SuperAg05
AG
The Deal is now an 8 for 1

Lou Williams
Sam Dekker
Pat Beverly
Montrezl Harrell
Darren Hilliard (bought from Detroit)
Tim Quarterman (bought from Portland)
Ryan Kelly (bought from Atlanta)
Deandre Liggins (bought from Dallas)

for

Chris Paul

All of this in order to preserve the MLE and BAE for signing additional help vs only having about $3M in cap space to fill out the roster.

Paul
Harden
Ariza
Anderson
Capela

Morey is a maniac!
k20dub
AG
Add one more

SuperAg05
AG
And he's not done yet!

Holy cow.

6 deals in 1 day has got to be a record...

But they gave a 2nd for this guy...I wonder why? Maybe he's going to be kept vs included in the Paul deal? Who freakin knows....Morey man....Morey.
shano0603
AG
Someone earlier said we will have Paul's bird rights after next season.... so will that mean we would be able to give a huge contract to another star, then resign Paul and not be penalized? Kind of like what we thought was gonna happen with Bosh/Parsons a couple years back?
Guitarsoup
AG
shano0603 said:

Someone earlier said we will have Paul's bird rights after next season.... so will that mean we would be able to give a huge contract to another star, then resign Paul and not be penalized? Kind of like what we thought was gonna happen with Bosh/Parsons a couple years back?
Rockets will have Paul's Bird rights, but he likely signs an extension soon, so no.

Paul's cap hold would have been 35mm+ anyway, so it isn't like holding him and signing later saves you money like it would with Capela, who is on a tiny contract.
Texaggie7nine
Season Age Tm Lg Pos G GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% 2P 2PA 2P% eFG% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
2016-17 24 PHI NBA C 18 0 13.0 3.4 6.1 .560 0.4 1.1 .368 3.0 5.0 .600 .592 1.1 1.9 .543 2.3 2.4 4.7 0.7 0.5 0.5 0.7 2.7 8.2

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/longsh01.html#per_game::none

Looks enticing.
7nine
TexasAg 2018
AG
Dan Scott
AG
So is Ryan Anderson for Paul George happening?
Texaggie7nine
He's part of the trade.
7nine
Guitarsoup
AG
Dan Scott said:

So is Ryan Anderson for Paul George happening?
More likely is Melo gets bought out and gets reunited with the coach he got fired.
Texags is garbage
Think I enjoy the NBA trade and Free Agency rumors more than the games themselves.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Definitely going to miss Bev and his fire.

Guitarsoup
AG
LA Times writer seems pretty salty about the trade.

CFTXAG10
AG
I laughed at the Cyber rumor on CF about Morey aggressively chasing CP3 & Hayward back on June 17th. He is 1/2 so far.
shano0603
AG
This better work out... we aren't gonna have draft picks for a while.
Guitarsoup
AG
https://theringer.com/chris-paul-james-harden-fit-houston-rockets-a13a944b7b6b
CFTXAG10
AG
Official

astros4545
AG
shano0603 said:

This better work out... we aren't gonna have draft picks for a while.

Nothing to lose IMO

Either we win it all, or the Warriors do for the next 5 years anyways

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.