Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,153 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
TXAG 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Under 90k now, they are making progress. Hopefully my power will be back on by the morning.
rilloaggie
AG
Back on 77077
TXTransplant
BSD said:

I thought a cold front hit after Ike and we had 2-3 days of nice weather. It was I drunk? Or both?

I wasn't here for Ike, but we had a few cooler/low humidity days right after Harvey.

I remember because I was going door to door checking on all the houses that flooded in my 'hood, and my son was ripping out sheetrock. I remember being thankful that the weather was so nice.

Especially in comparison to the weather immediately after Katrina. I had to bring my parents supplies after their house got 6 feet of water. I've never experienced humidity, sweat, and stink like I did then. I remember holding my son who was about 9 months old, and he was totally soaked from the heat and humidity.
Martin Q. Blank
BSD said:

I thought a cold front hit after Ike and we had 2-3 days of nice weather. It was I drunk? Or both?
Yes, it was cooler. Ike made landfall Sept. 13.

Sept 11 max temperature was 93 degF.

Sept 15 - 81 degF
Sept 16 - 78 degF
Sept 17 - 79 degF
Sept 18 - 80 degF
Sept 19 - 83 degF
RK
AG
isn't it pretty typical to have a couple/few nice days after a big storm as sucked all of the moisture out of the air? definitely remember it after ike.
SJEAg
AG
Might be something to that - but think the heat/humidity was really bad immediately after Katrina.
CDUB98
AG
AgLiving06
I still think CenterPoint needs to get their act together and figure out how to keep every storm from knocking the power out[/quote said:

As long as power lines are above ground, we're going to have this problem. It's impossible to stop.

And it is way too expensive to retrofit to underground. Underground is only financially feasible in new residential or commercial, who can afford it.
CDUB98
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

BSD said:

Sept 15 - 81 degF
Sept 16 - 78 degF
Sept 17 - 79 degF
Sept 18 - 80 degF
Sept 19 - 83 degF

Humidity and little to no wind. That's the key to my post.

Those temps are okay, but with 90% humidity and no wind, they suck.

The reason I'm on this boat us that we tried to stick it out without power, but were so uncomfortable, we bailed to a buddy's place in Katy even though he had cats, which I'm ridiculously allergic to.
HtownAg92
AG
It was definitely bearable for a few days after Ike. Then the heat came back, along with prehistoric striped super mosquitos.

Helpful hint: when you are renting a house while building during hurricane season, make sure the rental has screens on the windows.

Took the kids for a walk around our hood in the GOOF to check out downed limbs. Gave them a pretty good education on the power of hurricanes. A category 1 that made landfall 90 miles SW of us did this to the trees. There is no such thing as a "weak" hurricane.
Ag_07
AG
SJEAg said:

Might be something to that - but think the heat/humidity was really bad immediately after Katrina.

Katrina also made landfall 600 miles away.
SJEAg
AG
Ag_07 said:

SJEAg said:

Katrina also made landfall 600 miles away.

Well, I meant in NO not here. Just recall everyone looking miserable and passing out around the Superdome.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Houston has shown it can handle the rain, areas will flood etc... Flood Control Dept is only 3 years into a 15 year plan so there's a long way to go.

Wind is an entirely different problem. We have large mature trees, so if we do get hit by a strong storm and if the trees don't land in my living room, I'd expect us to be without power for awhile. Hench the generator thread.
bigjag19
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

BSD said:

Sept 15 - 81 degF
Sept 16 - 78 degF
Sept 17 - 79 degF
Sept 18 - 80 degF
Sept 19 - 83 degF

That saved a lot of lives.
evestor1
AlaskanAg99 said:

Houston has shown it can handle the rain, areas will flood etc... Flood Control Dept is only 3 years into a 15 year plan so there's a long way to go.

Flood control department - may as well be called "Super Diverse group of medium paid employees with great benefits that do not understand one thing about flood control"
AlaskanAg99
AG
evestor1 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Flood control department - may as well be called "Super Diverse group of medium paid employees with great benefits that do understand one thing about flood control"
There's only so much that can be done. Lena & Co fired Poppe (I mean he 'resigned for family reasons'), but in the end, Harvey type storms cannot be abated other than simply not living in the region period if you want to avoid being impacted.
Sea Speed
AG
evestor1 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Flood control department - may as well be called "Super Diverse group of medium paid employees with great benefits that do not understand one thing about flood control"

Wouldn't fit on their business cards, so they opted for the simpler moniker.
chimpanzee
AlaskanAg99 said:

evestor1 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Flood control department - may as well be called "Super Diverse group of medium paid employees with great benefits that do understand one thing about flood control"
There's only so much that can be done. Lena & Co fired Poppe (I mean he 'resigned for family reasons'), but in the end, Harvey type storms cannot be abated other than simply not living in the region period if you want to avoid being impacted.

I like the flood detention requirements for new construction, but that's not nearly enough for the next Harvey. The most cost effective way to mitigate that damage would probably be to raise up everyone's structures. It would cost billions, but so would anything else that's actually going to save billions in the future. If we had a private insurance market, I would bet that we could find the most efficient way to protect property pretty quickly, alas, if Harvey happens every 100 years, you pay $45K into a federal insurance program that pays you $250K when it happens.
V8Aggie
AG
Just found a useful feature in the Space City Weather app…

Teddy Perkins
AG
HA! And when you toggle it on, it automatically toggles it back off.
V8Aggie
AG
Keep doing it.
TombstoneTex
AG
That's gold!
Sea Speed
AG
I dont have the app, what does it do?
chimpanzee
Sea Speed said:

I dont have the app, what does it do?
It pops up a gif from Chicken Run (I think)

Similar:

Sea Speed
AG
Thsts fantastic. They must get absolutely bombarded with questions about that to put it in the app
sts7049
AG
i doubt it happens much anymore, its more an homage to the past tine storms
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I knew about the toggle. I had no idea about the gif that popped up if you keep pushing it.
Texaggie7nine
Anyone else's allergies go crazy after the storm? I've had a horrible sore throat and sinus issues since it came through. Even got Covid tested just to be sure it wasn't that.
7nine
YellAg2004
AG
Yep. Had minor allergies at the end of last week which subsided until yesterday evening they kicked up big time.
CDUB98
AG
Yup. They've sucked balls more than usual.
Beat40
Sea Speed said:

Thsts fantastic. They must get absolutely bombarded with questions about that to put it in the app
They also used to get that in their comments all the time as a mockery and started deleting the comment because it was so often.
aggiemike02
AG
yep! im doing the immunotherapy shots though so system overload it is...
Hammerly High Dive Crips
Texaggie7nine said:

Anyone else's allergies go crazy after the storm? I've had a horrible sore throat and sinus issues since it came through. Even got Covid tested just to be sure it wasn't that.
Yes. Sometimes happens after crazy changes in weather or heavy rains, but this was a bit worse. On top of that, I just get slightly achy and lethargic during these types of low pressure tropical storm/hurricane events.
Agnes Moffitt Rollin 60's - RIP Casper and Lil Ricky - FREE GOOFY AND LUCKY!
gooberhead
AG
I've been experiencing the same thing, started last week but got much worse yesterday. A little better today.

Knew it wasn't Covid cause haven't been anywhere to get exposed other than a camping trip over Labor Day weekend and we were outside whenever we were around others.
PJYoung
AG
HtownAg92
AG
gooberhead said:

I've been experiencing the same thing, started last week but got much worse yesterday. A little better today.

Knew it wasn't Covid cause haven't been anywhere to get exposed other than a camping trip over Labor Day weekend and we were outside whenever we were around others.

Mine had been steadily getting worse over a couple of weeks. I figured it wasn't Covid since this happens to me annually to varying degrees, but I had just taken a trip for work that included 4 flights and 6 airport stops. And I never get a fever with it but was running hot for a few days last week. Finally Tuesday cough was unbearable and I knew that no one would be out and about because of the storm, so I went to get checked. Turns out, no Covid. Just pneumonia.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.