Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,258 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Flying Crowbar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

I was just talking about this to my wife. It seems ridiculous meow as opposed to when we were younger. Is it just another casualty of the information age? People being paranoid and overprotective? Helicoptering?
FIFY

/Super Troopers
Seabreeze
4pm
CDUB98
AG
Ag_07 said:

Man kids have it so easy nowadays.

I remember we had to wake up the day of at 4 am and wait in anticipation praying that your school's name popped up on the 5 am news broadcast.

Now they get a entire day and a half before we've gotten an inch of rain.

Same, but for snow up in The Panhandle. Just having snow wasn't enough. You knew there needed to be about 6 inches before it was too deep.
Petrino1
Ag_07 said:

Man kids have it so easy nowadays.

I remember we had to wake up the day of at 4 am and wait in anticipation praying that your school's name popped up on the 5 am news broadcast.

Now they get a entire day and a half before we've gotten an inch of rain.
And now they can just check twitter to see if school is canceled tomorrow lol.
The Wonderer
AG
Kick-R said:

Sea Speed said:

I was just talking about this to my wife. It seems ridiculous mow as opposed to when we were younger. Is it just another casualty of the information age? People being paranoid and overprotective? Helicoptering?
There are probably some other factors (infrastructure vs. population growth, etc.) that make the impacts potentially more serious for the same relative threat as previous decades.
Not to mention that parents would raise all holy hell if their kids got trapped in a school. Schools do not want the liability of an injury or death because they required attendance during a tropical event, regardless if people like SS feel that current generations should suffer because the way things were done in his day were harder. Sending kids to school during a storm is the same as "back in my day, we walked up hill both ways in the snow."
evestor1
Happened at kingwood park in 2019. My sister was thrilled her son was at school until 11 pm bc of flooding bc the house was quiet.

Other parents...quite upset
Texaggie7nine
Dude on the weather channel is hanging out in Discovery Green, and every time they cut to him, he points at all the trees there and how some might have damage.

Cutting edge coverage really.
7nine
lb sand
AG
My 16 year old stepson knows how much it pisses me off everytime they close school for the possibility of a decent rain shower, or it might be cold, or maybe we will get high winds, etc.

When he came home this afternoon early(afterschool activities all canceled) he just looked at me and busted out laughing. He knows this is bull**** but will be more than happy to have the day off tomorrow.
Sea Speed
AG
I was simply curious as to the driving factors of the change, I dont want to punish kids. Thats ludicrous. People that have kept their children in virtual school however should be.
SJEAg
AG
Seemed like we had less storms back then (and no, I am not a climate change advocate). I don't recall all the seemingly annual events like Tax Day, Memorial Day, and Freezemageddon

I recall when Gilbert (1988) was in the gulf, they cancelled school in The Woodlands and the thing hit like Brownsville. It landed up being a sunny day. There was one nasty flood in 94 that shut school down for like a week. Any hint of snow put the city on lockdown much like today.

Anyway, I don't think things are that different...just things have been *****ier lately for whatever reason. Or maybe I just feel that way today as a parent vs a kid in the 80s.

Sea Speed
AG
Only closures I recall were 1 maybe 2 cypress creek floods where water was in my street in lakewood forest and an ice storm. We had a wild time during those. Certainly the flooding is partly attributable to the population growth and paving the state away.
Bondag
AG
The road to our school would flood and you would have to go the long way that took an extra 15 minutes but school was not cancelled.
Big Cat `93
AG
I saw a punt get blown into the stands at a game between Pearland and Elkins during a TS.
Cromagnum
AG
My buddy who works with Jeff Lindner reminded me that there is a concern for spin up tornadoes in this mess coming up.
wessimo
AG
Latest Frankie update...

Teddy Perkins
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

Dude on the weather channel is hanging out in Discovery Green, and every time they cut to him, he points at all the trees there and how some might have damage.

Cutting edge coverage really.
Step up your game, weather channel.

BayAg_14
My yard is definitely thankful for the rain.
CDUB98
AG
Timmer is an ass clown.
AgLiving06
This advisory pushed it further east again as the european finally adjusted.

Will be interested to see what space city says. They were already saying that north of I10 is really out of the issue already and this is a further trend away which may help the coast.
TulaneAg
I've been on Matagorda Beach in those conditions plenty. You get sandblasted and ultimately don't need that expensive face peel procedure until next year.
Ramrod
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Will be interested to see what space city says. They were already saying that north of I10 is really out of the issue already and this is a further trend away which may help the coast.

Just caught Frank's project rain totals update on the 4pm news and will likely be turning my sprinklers back on when I head outside next.
htxag09
AG
RebelE91
AG
Ramrod said:

AgLiving06 said:

Just caught Frank's project rain totals update on the 4pm news and will likely be turning my sprinklers back on when I head outside next.
Yeah, I'm in Katy and now I'm wondering if I'm even going to get my yard watered for free this evening.
Anti-taxxer
AG
I think we are all losing sight of the real tragedy here…the Harry Styles (Stiles?) concert was postponed again.

ETA: in case anyone thinks I'm serious, this is definitely tinged with sarcasm.
Al Bula
AG
RebelE91 said:

Yeah, I'm in Katy and now I'm wondering if I'm even going to get my yard watered for free this evening.
crap, if the storm misses Katy, we will see an uptick in sex trafficking for sure.
gougler08
AG
Getting some gusts on the SW side now but looks like most of the strong storms aren't going to touch us now
Premium
AG
gougler08 said:

Getting some gusts on the SW side now but looks like most of the strong storms aren't going to touch us now

Follow the arrows

Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Seemed like we had less storms back then (and no, I am not a climate change advocate). I don't recall all the seemingly annual events like Tax Day, Memorial Day,
I don't know, you can look in old archives for neighborhood papers like the Bellaire Texan or the Southwest News, and see stories about flooding every time there was a good rain, going back to the early development in that side of town. Braes Bayou flooding has been the subject of flood control studies and bond initiatives since before a lot of us were born. We've had a lot of progress on flood control infrastructure over the decades, but also a whole lot of residential development and paving over more square footage every year.

I certainly remember getting excited as a kid in the 80's or 90's every time it looked like we might get out of school. Of course you have a different perspective as an adult when there's **** you were planning to get done or wanting to do for fun most of the time. Staying home and watching cartoons or playing in the flooded street isn't exciting to you anymore.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Easy, Rod said:

RebelE91 said:

crap, if the storm misses Katy, we will see an uptick in sex trafficking for sure.

I'm using some undeveloped Bridgeland land for R&D testing for one of our frac imaging systems. No rain or that way is greatly appreciated.

Took me a week last march for that place to dry out enough to get equipment pulled up!
CDUB98
AG
Decent breeze in the GOOF right now. No rain at my house. Only been light stuff when it did fall.

We'll see what happens tonight.
Premium
AG
CDUB98 said:

Decent breeze in the GOOF right now. No rain at my house. Only been light stuff when it did fall.

Take care of yourself
Raiderjay
I think just like Harvey, everyone is saying "this is a nothing burger" then it hit...... This won't be anything like Harvey, but I bet it will be more than the "nothing" some are saying here.....

Hope I am wrong.....
[b][raiderjay, you need to come up to the front of the bus where I can see you in this giant mirror above my steering wheel. -Staff][/b]
MemorialTXAg
Hitting up KIH tomorrow. Hope it will be open.
V8Aggie
AG
Currently steady rain for the last hour or two. Pretty windy in video.
CDUB98
AG
Premium said:

CDUB98 said:

Take care of yourself

It's pretty treacherous.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.