Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,230 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Seabreeze
How long do you want to ignore this user?
spadilly said:

V8Aggie said:

Hate to see what would happen in a bad hurricane.

Yeah, had the wind sheer not been there, this could have been a cat 2 or 3 storm 50-100 miles inland. Would have been a giant disaster for the Houston area. Good run through.

That's what saved Houston and honestly us on the coast, as bad as it got, it could have been alot worse.
V8Aggie
AG
Still no power.
rilloaggie
AG
Just got the "prepare for extended outage" email from CenterPoint. It's been over 12 hours since it went it initially so I shudder to think what their definition of extended is! Definitely going to be generator shopping after this.
CDUB98
AG
Home interwebs went down a little after 2PM.

My daughter is bored off her ass without it. Maybe I should make her go outside and clean the yard up.

I went for a run, but judging from the emails, work is piling up. Argh.

CDUB98
AG
rilloaggie said:

Just got the "prepare for extended outage" email from CenterPoint. It's been over 12 hours since it went it initially so I shudder to think what their definition of extended is! Definitely going to be generator shopping after this.

People were without power for 2-3 weeks after Ike, so it could be worse.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Not even a blip on the west side
TXAG 05
AG
rilloaggie said:

Same. Have a generator running the the fridge and deep freeze. Hoping the power will be back on sometime tonight.
Seabreeze
CDUB98 said:

Home interwebs went down a little after 2PM.
My daughter is bored off her ass without it. Maybe I should make her go outside and clean the yard up.

I went for a run, but judging from the emails, work is piling up. Argh.

After Alica in '83 at 7 years old I was on the damaged roof throwing fish off it. No reason she can't go outside and pick up some sticks. Just saying..
evestor1
My kids aren't happy w me today bc we picked up sticks in our yard...then made them do both neighbors yard. They did a poor job, but I was content bc it was nearly 3 acres of lakefront that was wind blasted until 4pm today. From a quick count it is over 75 trees. At least 8 cubic yards of tiny sticks.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Seabreeze said:

spadilly said:

V8Aggie said:

Hate to see what would happen in a bad hurricane.

Yeah, had the wind sheer not been there, this could have been a cat 2 or 3 storm 50-100 miles inland. Would have been a giant disaster for the Houston area. Good run through.

That's what saved Houston and honestly us on the coast, as bad as it got, it could have been alot worse.

And if it would have happened with the misses on the forecast like this, everybody would have been here. That would have been really bad.
Seabreeze
They kinda blew it let's be honest, but it's not totally on them. There were so many dynamics to this one that changed every 30 minutes. What frustrated me was they just focused on the rain amount, rain amounts, rain amounts, and totally discredited that this thing would become a hurricane until the very end. Houston forecasters got spoiled by Harvey.
W
AG
yes, something major seems to have gone wrong in the Independence Heights, Oak Forest, T.C. Jester park areas
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
W said:

yes, something major seems to have gone wrong in the Independence Heights, Oak Forest, T.C. Jester park areas
Are yall still without power?
BSD
AG
We lost power this morning at some point. When I asked my neighbor what time it went out they told me it never went out at their house. We're on the same circuit So I went out back and sure enough, the power line to the house had been torn out by a branch (from a nasty water oak that Centerpoint chopped up over the years, but that's another story…)

Anyways, Centerpoint said they'd fix the downed line and not charge us but they would not commit to a time, or a day, or a week. I went ahead and paid some electricians to come out and do it. Probably the best money I've spent in a while, especially after the emails saying "expect extended delays"
CDUB98
AG
Seabreeze said:

They kinda blew it let's be honest, but it's not totally on them.

I dunno.

As I posted yesterday, the models and the actual movement of the storm were never in agreement.

All day I watched the incongruity.

The weather peeps are simply too reliant on the models and no longer use their own reason and analysis.
Seabreeze
True, hopefully this was a wake up call
tamuags08
AG
Seabreeze said:

Al Bula
AG
Seabreeze said:

yep maybe next time you'll get that Cat 3 or higher you're longing for.
W
AG
yes, however it looks like Independence Heights got mostly back online
TXAG 05
AG
Harry Lime said:

W said:

Are yall still without power?

Yes. Still dark. Thankful it wasn't a hot day.
CowtownAg06
AG
Still out in 024. Just moved a month ago and the new house has a generator and it's been great. Still would like to be back I'm in the grid soon.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Yeah, I was thinking today how nice it was that the house was still cool and it was still breezy outside. We came back on sometime this afternoon.

Seems like it was a wee bit warmer in the days after Ike.
Cliff Booth
AG
Still out in East Norhill, 77009.
BSD
AG
I thought a cold front hit after Ike and we had 2-3 days of nice weather. It was I drunk? Or both?
Bondag
AG
BSD said:

I thought a cold front hit after Ike and we had 2-3 days of nice weather. It was I drunk? Or both?

I was without power for 10 days. Just opened the windows every night and it was ok. Was defiantly milder weather.
CDUB98
AG
BSD said:

You were drunk.

Ike aftermath had ridiculous humidity and very low winds. The air was stifling.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
BSD said:

Idk, I had a lot of tree work and yardwork to do at my parents's house and mine, so I remember being pretty sweaty and grimy. But also drunk by early evening most of those days.
lunchbox
There was a weak cold front about 2 weeks after Ike. I remember our 2nd week without power coming to a close when the breeze hit...and then our power came back on a few hours later.
Sea Speed
AG
i was drunk for like 3 months after Ike. Lost everything i owned besides my vehicle so why not.
SJEAg
AG
CDUB98 said:

BSD said:

You were drunk.

No, the day after Ike was actually unseasonably nice for Sept. Sure it went to hell soon after, but I didn't care since my power came back that first day.
BSD
AG
SJEAg said:

CDUB98 said:

BSD said:

You were drunk.

No, the day after Ike was actually unseasonably nice for Sept. Sure it went to hell soon after, but I didn't care since my power came back that first day.

Yeah, I thought I remembered that. And Lehman brothers failed or something. I was in an absinthe phase that month so a few things didn't quite make it thru. We had power back quickly as well in midtown.
mm98
AG
BSD said:

Not nice weather. We had a newborn who couldn't stay cool enough and got heat rash. And we couldn't make formula. Had to high tail it to Austin to stay with my brother.
AgLiving06
Under 100k now without power. I saw 450k at one point today so quite the day for the repair guys.

I still think CenterPoint needs to get their act together and figure out how to keep every storm from knocking the power out
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I wonder what the age range of Centerpoint hardware is across Houston, and how much that affects restoration.

The people across the street seem to have better luck than my side the last couple years, and I wonder if that' s related to Centerpoint coming out to repair a big boom behind one of those neighbors' houses a few years back during a smaller storm. I'm not sure they ever went dark last night.
LRHF
AG
Damn- went on a moose hunt in the Weminuche wilderness and evidently an hurricane hit houston... I think I'm ready to head back in the woods!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.