Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,160 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Jackal99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Wtf tom Araya hangs out in galveston?
That was my reaction. Apparently he lives on a ranch in Buffalo, TX.
Sea Speed
AG
Jackal99 said:

Sea Speed said:

Wtf tom Araya hangs out in galveston?
That was my reaction. Apparently he lives on a ranch in Buffalo, TX.

Thats wild. I've seen slayer several times. That is unexpected. Used to play poker with Kurt from DRI years ago, but they are actually from Houston.
cone
AG
this thread has delivered
JSKolache
AG
2:30am wind gusts annihilated my fence in Richmond. I heard the first section go & got up to peek out the window just in time to see another panel blow in. Only .75" of rain though.
SidsBurnerAccount
Sea Speed said:

htxag09 said:

Sea Speed said:

Several houses on my street have done the same or planted magnolias or something else much less annoying. Other houses have oaks in the front vs pines. Besides not having a pool, the pine trees are my biggest gripe about the house ha

Are magnolias really that much better? I mean yeah, they're not as annoying as pines. But they drop their big ass leaves year round.

I haven't looked in to pros and cons of new trees yet. If I ever decide to actually move forward I would then weigh them. As of now, I just think a magnolia would be a esthetically appeasing and stop the annoying as hell pine needles.
Try Mexican Sycamore. Fast growth. Beautiful trees. Do drop big leaves though.
TexAg2001
AG
MelvinUdall said:

jayelbee said:

Dollars to donuts that most of you guys with frequent power issues live in older areas that are served by overhead power with large trees.

It's hard to keep trees off the lines during events like this and freezes. The only way that will improve is by replacing the distribution system on your block.

My neighborhood is about 17 years old and still building.
I built a house in Shadow Creek Ranch in 2008 when I first moved to the Houston area. That subdivision started development around 2000, I think, so no mature trees. I lost power just about every time there was a stong wind or thunderstorm and it usually lasted an hour or longer.

About 5 years ago, we moved to a house near Meyerland built in 1962. Home is served by overhead power and there are large trees everywhere. I'm not sure how or why, but we almost never lose power and when we do, it's usually only for a couple minutes.
Big Cat `93
AG
I'll see your water oaks, pines, and pecan trees and raise you the Chinese tallow I had in my back yard in Pearland. That thing was a colossal headache
SidsBurnerAccount
Big Cat `93 said:

I'll see your water oaks, pines, and pecan trees and raise you the Chinese tallow I had in my back yard in Pearland. That thing was a colossal headache

The China covid virus of the landscaping world
AgLiving06
Power back on in Westbury
SockDePot
Power Here in the Branch
rilloaggie
AG
Still no juice 77077. Neighbors 2 doors down are apparently on a different circuit and never lost it.
Chewy
AG
MAS444 said:

If you don't mind, let us know when the power is back on there. I need to get out of the house...I mean go to work (and my office is over there).
Power back on in my neck of the Heights. Time to read my many leather bound books.
IDaggie06
AG
rilloaggie said:

Still no juice 77077. Neighbors 2 doors down are apparently on a different circuit and never lost it.

You tried your breaker
wessimo
AG
Power still out in 008 near 14th & Studewood. There was a huge tree down over the power lines E of Studewood that may be a contributing factor.
Ag_N_Houston
AG
Big Cat `93 said:

I'm pretty sure that's what I have in my front yard. It's very pretty, but I have leaves and twigs everywhere after the slightest breeze. Those little seed pods really hurt when you step on them!
InnerCityAg
Wow. Who knew this thread would result in Slayer discussion?
tamuags08
AG
Our backyard in Cypress. Was supposed to have our fence replaced literally this week so thinking of asking the contractor for a discount due to partial disassembly
tamuags08
AG
to make it tree related and thread relevant, those pine trees are the bane of my existence. Have to cleanout the gutters about every other mow
wessimo
AG
wessimo said:

Power still out in 008 near 14th & Studewood. There was a huge tree down over the power lines E of Studewood that may be a contributing factor.

Power back on. Woo woo.
lunchbox
Not official yet but from what I am hearing from a friend, HISD will be open tomorrow.
Bonfired
AG
Just got power in my part of the 459...
rilloaggie
AG
IDaggie06 said:

rilloaggie said:

You tried your breaker

Actually yes haha. Old timer next door that is also without power said that his house had power throughout Ike but the house that currently has power was without for like 2 weeks. The transformer that feeds his house in in my yard so I guess it makes sense that he's out too
Teddy Perkins
AG
Power came back about 15 minutes ago in Meyerland 77096.
mm98
AG
tamuags08 said:

to make it tree related and thread relevant, those pine trees are the bane of my existence. Have to cleanout the gutters about every other mow

Did this yesterday. Between shingle granules and pine needles I don't think it ever drains like it should
gougler08
AG
We had no internet for most of the day in Richmond but no issues with power
gif
gougler08 said:

gougler08
AG
gif said:

gougler08 said:

Sure seemed that way when I contacted AT&T as they indicated "server issues"
lunchbox
Serotonin
AG
AgLiving06 said:

Power is out all over Houston. Has nothing to do with lines above or below the ground.

Centerpoint just doesn't invest in what it takes to keep the grid up to date. There's a reason so many people are getting generators. You cannot count on centerpoint during any sort of storm.

Power's been out since early AM for us and still out. I won't blame them for the winter storm but it's been out pretty much every time the wind is above 30mph over the past few years so yeah, going to have to agree with your assessment.
Tom Cardy
AG
Centerpoint reporting 170k still without power. Progress slowed way down after the initial 200k restored this morning.
htxag09
AG
Serotonin said:

AgLiving06 said:

Power is out all over Houston. Has nothing to do with lines above or below the ground.

Centerpoint just doesn't invest in what it takes to keep the grid up to date. There's a reason so many people are getting generators. You cannot count on centerpoint during any sort of storm.

Power's been out since early AM for us and still out. I won't blame them for the winter storm but it's been out pretty much every time the wind is above 30mph over the past few years so yeah, going to have to agree with your assessment.

Where are you? I'm in 77007 and lose power pretty regularly. I mean anytime a front blows in. Didn't lose power for the winter storm, though.

ETA: still don't have power at the moment. But CenterPoint is across the street working on it.
Sea Speed
AG
I like how they had to say the same thing twice. Must not think their audience is that bright.
V8Aggie
AG
Hate to see what would happen in a bad hurricane.
spadilly
S
V8Aggie said:

Hate to see what would happen in a bad hurricane.

Yeah, had the wind sheer not been there, this could have been a cat 2 or 3 storm 50-100 miles inland. Would have been a giant disaster for the Houston area. Good run through.
ptothemo
AG
Cart update?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.