Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,181 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Bonfired
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm threading the needle travel-wise...leaving from SE Tennessee in the morning and getting as far as Vicksburg, then getting up REAL early Sunday morning to finish the over-and-down back to Houston. Not getting anywhere near I-10.
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed said:

Cromagnum said:

Found out my brother in law is taking his travel trailer from Austin today to go to Alabama. He's not worried about the situation at all.

Wifes brother or sisters husband? Someone married in to a family with some not so bright folks.

Wife's brother
ChemAg15
AG
Sea Speed said:

Cromagnum said:

Found out my brother in law is taking his travel trailer from Austin today to go to Alabama. He's not worried about the situation at all.

Wifes brother or sisters husband? Someone married in to a family with some not so bright folks.

I mean... what's the worst that could happen?
Beat40
ChemAg15 said:

Sea Speed said:

Cromagnum said:

I mean... what's the worst that could happen?

I mean, leaving today, shouldn't he get to Alabama at the latest by Saturday evening?
Sea Speed
AG
He is taking a travel trailer so it's not the getting there that is the issue, its the staying.
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed said:

He is taking a travel trailer so it's not the getting there that is the issue, its the staying.

Even so, he's going to have a blast trying to make it back home. I10 is going to be a disaster area and I20 is going to have ridiculous traffic.
Beat40
Sea Speed said:

Ha, guess I'd have to know if it's northern east Alabama or not.

Either way, I would have probably post-poned that trip!
Seabreeze
New ticks back to the West in the 18z
Seabreeze
18z model intensity up to. Now forming a eyewall

Seabreeze
Now forecast 140+mph at landfall.
Seabreeze
Agasaurus Tex
AG
The levees/floodwalls around NOLA are about to really be tested. A storm with this forecast moving in just south of the Houston Ship Channel would cause unthinkable damage.
Sea Speed
AG
They are closing down the river at noon tomorrow. Would have a massive economic impact if it is closed for an extended amount of time, on top of the already massive impact. Lake Charles was closed for weeks IIRC. NOBRA is practically an order of magnitude larger than LC.
cone
AG
motor scooter
Raiderjay
this is a scary prediction......

[b][raiderjay, you need to come up to the front of the bus where I can see you in this giant mirror above my steering wheel. -Staff][/b]
Al Bula
AG

(Better than the LZ version)
Ags #1
AG
Nothing is better than zep, I felt like i was shopping at banana republic listening to that
AgLiving06
We are rolling the dice with all the delays on the Ike Dike.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
You got that right.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
AgLiving06 said:

We are rolling the dice with all the delays on the Ike Dike.
one I heard better than the Ike Dike was to build a levee all along 146. Just elevate 146 to drive on top of the levee. Looks like it is too late for that. Damn shame because it wouldn't have added too much more on top of the 146 project going on now. Damn short sighted fools.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Problem is raising 146 wouldn't protect the refineries along the ship channel and would still require a levee around most of Galveston.
txags92
AG
Be careful what you wish for. Any large project like the Ike dike is going to have a lot of unforeseen impacts that may be worse than what they protect us from. We would likely be better off identifying critical infrastructure areas and hardening those individually IMO.
AgLiving06
With the amount of studying the Army Corp has done, surely they are figuring out issues and mitigations.

Either way, Let's be very happy that Laura and Ida missed Texas...we'd be in real trouble.
htxag09
AG
Well a lot of their studying has shown that Buffalo bayou was a waste of money and they want to rip out the park and widen it. Not agreeing or disagreeing l, just stating what they want. Though I do agree that Buffalo bayou hasn't held up to the weather near what it was touted to.

Also, I don't think any of those plans involved widening where Buffalo bayou and white oak bayou meet. So not sure what good the project would do anyway.
txags92
AG
AgLiving06 said:

With the amount of studying the Army Corp has done, surely they are figuring out issues and mitigations.

Either way, Let's be very happy that Laura and Ida missed Texas...we'd be in real trouble.
I do a fair amount of work for the Corps, and looking ahead and outside of the defined project area is very far from their strong suit. They have been building and rebuilding and shifting and moving levees along the Mississippi for decades and they still manage to flood somewhere unexpected nearly every time.
txags92
AG
htxag09 said:

Well a lot of their studying has shown that Buffalo bayou was a waste of money and they want to rip out the park and widen it. Not agreeing or disagreeing l, just stating what they want. Though I do agree that Buffalo bayou hasn't held up to the weather near what it was touted to.

Also, I don't think any of those plans involved widening where Buffalo bayou and white oak bayou meet. So not sure what good the project would do anyway.
It sounds like they have changed a lot of their plans and are revisiting some of the things they had dismissed, like buyouts and possibly bypass tunnels to reduce the amount of channel widening that would be required upstream of downtown. Lizzie Fletcher (yes, I know) hosted a town hall with the head of the Galveston Corps and it does sound like they have listened to a lot of the comments on their previous interim report and are taking them seriously in looking at the project with new eyes. We will see how it all turns out..
Beat40
txags92 said:

htxag09 said:

It sounds like they have changed a lot of their plans and are revisiting some of the things they had dismissed, like buyouts and possibly bypass tunnels to reduce the amount of channel widening that would be required upstream of downtown. Lizzie Fletcher (yes, I know) hosted a town hall with the head of the Galveston Corps and it does sound like they have listened to a lot of the comments on their previous interim report and are taking them seriously in looking at the project with new eyes. We will see how it all turns out..
Makes you wonder if Laura and Delta were sobering events.
Seabreeze
That "Not Low level Circulation" is fixing to exit Cuba.
txags92
AG
Beat40 said:

txags92 said:

htxag09 said:

Makes you wonder if Laura and Delta were sobering events.
Honestly, I don't think that was it. There was a lot of rigidity in the initial work the corps did, and it was all focused on what was necessary to protect the Addicks and Barker reservoirs from being overfilled again. So their primary design parameter was to allow enough flow down Buffalo Bayou to avoid flooding everybody downstream if they were releasing at max flow from the reservoirs. I think the commentary they got back was that those reservoirs existed to keep from flooding downtown Houston and that Houstonians placed a higher value than the Corps understood on the nature and habitat along Buffalo Bayou in Terry Hershey park and elsewhere along the bayou.

So I think they are looking at ways to increase what they can fill in the reservoirs and release downstream, including buyouts above and below the dams, as well as tunnels to get through slow flow choke points instead of just widening the whole bayou into a giant drainage ditch devoid of trees and vegetation. There will still be some difficult decisions and trade offs to come, but I think at least they are coming at the project now with more of a whole picture design strategy to minimize flood impacts instead of a dam/reservoir protection focused one size fits all design.
Cromagnum
AG
People are partying it up on Bourbon St right now.
Seabreeze
Seabreeze

Keep on drinking, Mayor says no where to go..
TitanAGGIE09
AG

Ag_07
AG
NOLA about to get bent over.
txags92
AG
Cromagnum said:

People are partying it up on Bourbon St right now.
Just waiting for the looting to get started in a few days...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.