Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,141 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
sts7049
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Serotonin said:

MelvinUdall said:

I will take extremely hot days over the s*** we experienced in February, and I loathe the heat.
With AC yes, without a doubt.

Without AC I would GTFO after 2-3 hours.
FIFY
MelvinUdall
Serotonin said:

MelvinUdall said:

I will take extremely hot days over the s*** we experienced in February, and I loathe the heat.
With AC yes, without a doubt.

Without AC I would GTFO after 2-3 days.

I wouldn't last 30 minutes, but with AC I am good.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'd rather that so long as I can keep my pipes from freezing and I keep power the whole time like I did. Summer is the worst.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I've been without ac in peak Summer here. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I guess you could say we don't smell as bad when it's really cold.
Charlie Murphy
Full time lapse of one I posted earlier.

P.H. Dexippus
AG
I'd like to see a shot from that same POV today
PJYoung
AG
Wow, some of the structures that were destroyed were pretty solid.

MelvinUdall
Quincey P. Morris said:

I'd rather that so long as I can keep my pipes from freezing and I keep power the whole time like I did. Summer is the worst.

Completely fair, my pipes froze, but none of them burst, but we were without electricity for 60 hours, I never want to be that cold ever again.
Charlie Murphy
Not sure if anyone here was following as closely as I did but I was a bit underwhelmed by the reporting around the storm. The weather channel was less informative than me just checking google or Twitter.
PJYoung
AG
Charlie Murphy said:

Not sure if anyone here was following as closely as I did but I was a bit underwhelmed by the reporting around the storm. The weather channel was less informative than me just checking google or Twitter.
Twitter is usually amazing for stuff like this.

Local tv can be good too. National? Usually terrible.
FHKChE07
AG
I'm surprised I haven't seen pictures of the transmission tower in the river. That would be something to see.
PJYoung
AG
I haven't seen any transmission tower in the river.

But there were 8 that fell supposedly.

PJYoung
AG
Fitch
AG
Seabreeze
Charlie Murphy said:

The weather makes it money for the year off stuff like this. Baseball hat Cantorie, people standing in ditches. Real mother****ers go out and bring you what's happening. And the waterproof deer cam has proven to be a big asset.
AeroAg1
AG
PJYoung said:

I haven't seen any transmission tower in the river.

But there were 8 that fell supposedly.

That one looks like it should have been repaired earlier.
AgLiving06
Nah man...that's just the good natural patina the hipsters like these days...
FHKChE07
AG
I mean, I know they have telephone poles stores somewhere and transformers and the like, but do you have transmission towers stored somewhere?
Al Bula
AG
The amount of citizen journalism the last few years is amazing. Yes, the reasons are usually tragic but the good that comes out of this is waaaaaay better awareness.

For comparison, all you got out of Katrina was helicopter flyovers of seas of blue tarps, criminals on a bridge, Heineken looter, roof of the superdome and x spray painted on checked homes.

Ida and the last few storms have really shown the horror and wrath Mother Nature can unleash thanks to some random people who happened to place the right technology in the right place at the right time.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
The drone videos we watching back in 2005 all came from the Middle East.
Sea Speed
AG
From. A good friend IRT Globetrotter. We both used to work at noble:

Quote:

They got messed up. Couldnt pull everything,, had 12 joints down....Lost the lmrp and riser joints, fkd up riser & drilling package, Derrick structural damage, crane broke loose and swing around hitting stuff. Lifeboat or two gone... just fkd

Some injuries but not disclosed the extent

Nobles got em on lockdown for now, but the have cell phones with lte, so fk noble
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The SCW guys are teasing with a 25% chance of a cold front in 12-14 days. Fingers crossed on that one.
03_Aggie
FHKChE07 said:

I mean, I know they have telephone poles stores somewhere and transformers and the like, but do you have transmission towers stored somewhere?

Yes, but they have to be assembled. They're built on site, not toted out there and stood up.
Beat40
Quincey P. Morris said:

The SCW guys are teasing with a 25% chance of a cold front in 12-14 days. Fingers crossed on that one.
Cold front in Houston would be nice. It also usually signals the end of hurricane season for Houston. Can't call it until the end of September though.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't have high hopes. Seems like they start teasing me with talk of cold fronts around this time every year and then I wait on pens and needles until mid-October for it to actually show up.
redag06
Quincey P. Morris said:

I don't have high hopes. Seems like they start teasing me with talk of cold fronts around this time every year and then I wait on pens and needles until mid-October for it to actually show up.
A drop to a high of 89 in September is a "cold front"
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Quincey P. Morris said:

then I wait on pens and needles until mid-October for it to actually show up.

I'm going to go ahead and pincil the cold front in on my calendar.
FHKChE07
AG
I mean, that is good considering? It didn't sink and nobody died so I take that as a win. Somebody should be looking as to why they didn't get the hell out of the way though.
FHKChE07
AG
I understand that they are built on site but I didn't know how much "engineering" goes into one. Surely there are some civil issues as part of the structure, concrete and all and it isn't just show up and build a tower. Maybe I am wrong.
Sea Speed
AG
Oh yes absolutely. I'm very very happy with that result all things considered. But you are correct. Heads need to and most likely will roll. The safety of the crew is paramount, although not to whoever has UWA on there.
cajunaggie08
AG
Unless something went horribly wrong with unlatching/pulling or securing the well, it certainly doesn't seem like a decision a drilling contractor would make in this age where safety is hammered into everyone head as the number one decision making priority. If someone thought they could ride out a Cat 1 or 2 storm, they should relieved of their job immediately.
FHKChE07
AG
I was just talking to a buddy of mine who worked on it while it was being built and he was complaining that the design of that rig was so overly complicated to begin with that it might have led to some of the problems.
Sea Speed
AG
To me it just seems so tiny for a drillship. I thibk they had to add sponsons for stability but that could have been another class of noble drillships.
RangerRick9211
AG
Beat40 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

Cold front in Houston would be nice. It also usually signals the end of hurricane season for Houston. Can't call it until the end of September though.

Boo and I moved to the front lines of Portland in July. We had 11 years in Houston after I spent my childhood in Amarillo and HS/undergrad in CS.

High today was 69 in PDX. Nice.

I didn't realize how much anxiety I had around this time of year of hurricanes until now. Now I'm just worried about a ****ing art tax and California smoke ruining my holiday weekend. Happy to see Houston still showing up for our neighbors like we always do.
JSKolache
AG
Beat40 said:

Quincey P. Morris said:

Careful what you wish for ... that first cold front in 2017 made Harvey 100x worse than it would have been if it just plowed on through the coast and up into central TX

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.