Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,140 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My area was in the partial eyewall right after this ho came ashore. Not too much damage but lost a couple shingles and the wooden fence is leaning over some. Both previously damaged by thunderstorms in the area.
94chem
Fitch said:

Water Oaks are your friend. Super fast growers for oaks. Ours put on 20' of height and 40' of canopy diameter in 10 years.

Lost about 6 of those during Harvey. They fell in slow motion. 6 feet deep and 50 yards long, piles of water oak debris along the street on both sides.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Teddy Perkins
AG
No power in Meyerland since about 4am. Lots of limbs down but no flooding.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I don't know what our grid shares with, but we only flickered a few times. Same thing happened in Harvey and our neighbors that were here said the same thing with Ike. We also never lost power during the freeze.

Only thing of significance I see is this pine in our neighbors yard. We have two as well and that's what kept me up last night worrying that it would fall into our house.

MAS444
AG
If you don't mind, let us know when the power is back on there. I need to get out of the house...I mean go to work (and my office is over there).
htxag09
AG
Why is the local news just driving around Galveston and Katy showing downed trees? Have a buddy with a place in Sargent and it was pretty rough out there. His mom stayed out there to ride the storm out and said never again. She can't make it down the street to check on friends houses.
Cromagnum
AG
News crews doing stellar reporting driving around in Katy to show us how everyone fared. It's like a meme that's not really a meme.
schmellba99
AG
Nobody Knows My Name said:

I'm directly south of Manvel in Rosharon off of 1462 between 288 and 35. My weather station in the backyard says 30 MPH sustained winds with 40 MPH gusts right now.
You must be in my neighborhood
RingOfive
AG
aggiedata said:

The bear guy was funny. This guy though

Apparently the guy is a Galveston attorney.
IronRed13
AG
Fitch said:

Water Oaks are your friend. Super fast growers for oaks. Ours put on 20' of height and 40' of canopy diameter in 10 years.
T&P for your lawn and any nearby concrete. After 20-30 years be sure not to park anything valuable under them when there is the slightest breeze
MAROON
AG
77005 faired well, still have power. Just a few leaves and dead branches in the yard. Haven't heard from my brother in Taylor Lake Village (Clear Lake area) yet. He didn't have any issues during Harney so hoping for the best.
Sea Speed
AG
Several houses on my street have done the same or planted magnolias or something else much less annoying. Other houses have oaks in the front vs pines. Besides not having a pool, the pine trees are my biggest gripe about the house ha
BMX Bandit
Quote:

There's a reason so many people are getting generators.

Yes, it's because we are soft and can't make it half a day without electricity. (I type this I fire up the generator)
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Fitch said:

Water Oaks are not your friend long term. They "live for 20 and die for 80", usually spending most of their time in a slow decline as diseased limbs are amputated. They also drop a lot of leaf litter. I'd go with just about any other oak species.
BSD
AG
Agreed. We have a ton of water oaks in our neighborhood because they planted them to grow fast back in the '50s. Now they fall apart all over the place.
Sea Speed
AG
We've got 3 oaks of 2 different species, 2 pines, a cypress and a crepe myrtle. I could do without the cypress. Used to have 3 palms but they gone. Idk who put the pqlms there but it was dumb. If I took down the pines in the front I'd want something that flowers. I like the houses in the hood that have magnolias but I really don't want to look awkward with 2 small trees and a bunch of mature trees.
htxag09
AG
Sea Speed said:

Several houses on my street have done the same or planted magnolias or something else much less annoying. Other houses have oaks in the front vs pines. Besides not having a pool, the pine trees are my biggest gripe about the house ha

Are magnolias really that much better? I mean yeah, they're not as annoying as pines. But they drop their big ass leaves year round.
MAROON
AG
two trees to avoid are pines and pecans. I'll never buy another house with a pecan tree in the yaard. Huge constant pain in the ass - drops leaves all year long, twigs, etc.
Jackal99
AG
I have two magnolias in the front yard and two larger magnolias in the back yard. I just mow right over their leaves. I DGAF, and they mulch up just fine.
V8Aggie
AG
This thread sucks now.
ChemAg15
AG
The quality of this thread is proportional to the severity of the storm.
Sea Speed
AG
htxag09 said:

Sea Speed said:

Are magnolias really that much better? I mean yeah, they're not as annoying as pines. But they drop their big ass leaves year round.

I haven't looked in to pros and cons of new trees yet. If I ever decide to actually move forward I would then weigh them. As of now, I just think a magnolia would be a esthetically appeasing and stop the annoying as hell pine needles.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like weather underground is calling for a front the first part of next week. Decent north wind and good temps.
GTdad
RingOfive said:

aggiedata said:

And an Ag, apparently.

https://abc13.com/michael-myers-galveston-mark-metzger-tropical-storm-nicholas-halloween/11018578/
Tom Cardy
AG
Now I spent 30 minutes looking at trees to plant in my yard..
ChemAg15
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

I don't want to jinx it, but it looks like weather underground is calling for a front the first part of next week. Decent north wind and good temps.

Take it to the 2021 Tine Cold Front Thread
CDUB98
AG
GTdad said:

RingOfive said:

aggiedata said:

And an Ag, apparently.

https://abc13.com/michael-myers-galveston-mark-metzger-tropical-storm-nicholas-halloween/11018578/

Terrible they arrested him. The po-po no longer uses discretion. They run on a 1 or 0 mentality now. Some people have zero sense of humor.
GCRanger
AG
GTdad said:

RingOfive said:

aggiedata said:

And an Ag, apparently.

This is pretty damn funny.

Quote:

"While it's something he has done before, Metzger added that it was the first time one of his stunts was met with "lethal force," but that he did cooperate with officers' commands. He even compared his arrest to something out of an episode of Scooby-Doo.

"It felt like a scene out of Scooby-Doo after they handcuffed me and pulled the mask off, like, 'I would have gotten away with it if wasn't for those meddling Karens, you know?" he said.

But not everyone was terrified of his getup. Metzger said some people stopped for a couple of photographs and beach patrol even played the "Halloween" movie theme song."

Sea Speed
AG
Quote:

"It felt like a scene out of Scooby-Doo after they handcuffed me and pulled the mask off, like, 'I would have gotten away with it if wasn't for those meddling Karens, you know?" he said.

Agree it is ridiculous that they arrested him.
Jackal99
AG
He also ran into the lead singer of Slayer.

CDUB98
AG
Sea Speed said:

Quote:

Outstanding
cone
AG
awesome
Texaggie7nine
Jackal99 said:

He also ran into the lead singer of Slayer.

Wow, if that's him, he's lost a ton of weight.
7nine
MAROON
AG
disorderly conduct - what a joke. hopefully no chance that sticks
Sea Speed
AG
Wtf tom Araya hangs out in galveston?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.