Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,218 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope you step in hobo *****
PJYoung
AG
Grand Isle thread

Sea Speed
AG
Art tax? Wtf?
94chem
PJYoung said:

Grand Isle thread

Pretty similar to Bolivar after Ike. At Bolivar there are a lot of homes on 8-9' pilings, and I thought they had somehow survived, because all the newer homes are on 14-17' pilings. Turns out, only the pilings survived on those lower houses, and people stuck new houses on top of them. My builder friend said those pilings cost $1200 apiece, and people just straightened them and reused them when they could.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Sea Speed
AG
Here's an article about the folks on the globetrotter.

https://fox2now.com/news/national/drill-ship-crew-in-gulf-says-they-were-not-evacuated-for-hurricane-ida-still-stranded-with-no-rescue-in-sight/amp/
YellAg2004
AG
Sea Speed said:

https://fox2now.com/news/national/drill-ship-crew-in-gulf-says-they-were-not-evacuated-for-hurricane-ida-still-stranded-with-no-rescue-in-sight/amp/
Possibly a stupid question from someone not in oil & gas - what is "normal" procedure for a drill ship in the path of a hurricane? Does the ship pull everything up and move out of the way or come back to port (I realize time is a factor here), or is the crew evacuated and the ship is left on-site?
sts7049
AG
they would have stopped what they were doing, rigged down, and sailed out of the way of the path of the storm and waited for it to pass.
FarmerJohn
AG
I think that is probably them. The vessel was a Huisman design. There aren't very many of those. Their entire design philosophy is to built the smallest, lightest equipment as possible. Consequently, it is very cheap. The downside is there isn't a lot of hidden capacity or redundancy available. But by the time you discover that, the equipment is delivered and the money is spent. Anyway, on this vessel the topside hoisting equipment (derricks and cranes) are all theirs. The rest is an NOV drilling package and probably the most common supplied in the last build cycle. The riser section is bolted. If a riser joint gets stuck getting pulled, I've seen where a bolted connection is just gas axed and they keep moving.

I know nothing of this incident or the hoisting equipment's original design. However, it appears that it is an adoption and expansion of previous work on intervention vessels. It seems that if one were looking at potential failures, the small and complicated hoisting equipment would be where I would look first. Now that doesn't excuse not disconnecting earlier when if something did fail they would still be able to drive off with a disconnected LMRP. I just think there is more to this than just someone wanting to keep a crew out there.
cajunaggie08
AG
YellAg2004 said:

Sea Speed said:

Possibly a stupid question from someone not in oil & gas - what is "normal" procedure for a drill ship in the path of a hurricane? Does the ship pull everything up and move out of the way or come back to port (I realize time is a factor here), or is the crew evacuated and the ship is left on-site?

One of the benefits of a drillship vs a semi-sub is they can quickly (relatively speaking) get out of harms way when a storm comes rather than try to evac crew and hope it rides out the weather in place. They can't go as fast dragging a riser and lmrp but with proper planning they should have enough time to bring the equipment up and sail away.
Post removed:
by user
Mr. Lahey
AG
Post hurricane satellite imagery
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ida/index.html#11/29.1980/-90.1888
Post removed:
by user
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's crazy that projections have Ida making landfall in Nova Scotia tomorrow as a tropical storm.

cone
AG
NYC is flooding bad
JSKolache
AG
cone said:

NYC is flooding bad
Nuts. Possibly worst ever from Philly thru NY to Boston. Walls of water pouring into basement apartments, vids are crazy.
Sea Speed
AG
Bet we see and hear about it on TV for a LOT longer than we see or hear about Louisiana
YellAg2004
AG
Sea Speed said:

Bullet we see and hear about it on TV for a LOT longer than we see or hear about Louisiana
This was my thought exactly. All of a sudden we're going to be hearing about super hurricane Ida and how it wreaked havoc on the NE, meanwhile you won't hear much more than a peep about all the damage in LA.
ptothemo
AG

"But one thing I can't stomach
Is how the hill watched it bleed
You bet they'd sang a different tune if a flood had hit D.C."
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
In fairness, when Harvey flooded Houston we kinda stopped hearing about Rockport and Port A.
Cromagnum
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

In fairness, when Harvey flooded Houston we kinda stopped hearing about Rockport and Port A.

Granted, but big city's are liberal strongholds regardless of location. The news doesn't care about rural folks.
Dill-Ag13
AG
Cromagnum said:

Granted, but big city's are liberal strongholds regardless of location. The news doesn't care about rural folks.

More to do with total lives impacted but ok
WES2006AG
AG
Sea Speed said:

Bet we see and hear about it on TV for a LOT longer than we see or hear about Louisiana
Could this have something to do with the fact that New York City has population twice the size of the state of Louisiana?
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Dill-Ag13 said:

Cromagnum said:

More to do with total lives impacted but ok
Sea Speed
AG
Sure could. Could also be that the news media acts like if a fart in NYC is bad enough the city is under a chemical attack.
Ag_07
AG
Here's a crazy wild theory...

News channels show what gets people's attention and what puts eyes on the TV. More people wanna see NYC subways and Yankee Stadium flooding than wanna see demolished Louisiana bait shops and fishing camps.
Sea Speed
AG
Until the looting starts then it will be all Nola all the time
redag06
Or....flooding in NYC is a very rare occurrence and fish camps flooding in a swamp or areas flooding that should have never been inhabited is to be expected.

Also flooding in NYC impacts 9+million people in comparison, the total power outages in Louisiana is just over 1 million.
cone
AG
also people that live in Brooklyn are completely up their own ass

so there's that
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
redag06 said:

Or....flooding in NYC is a very rare occurrence and fish camps flooding in a swamp or areas flooding that should have never been inhabited is to be expected.
Humans were never meant to live the way that people live in New York either. Just because they and their ancestors were too afraid to venture more than a few miles into the country after coming through Ellis Island doesn't mean it's normal to live in a 98 square foot apartment on the 78th floor with 500,000 dirty people in the same building.
wangus12
AG
Seersucker Ag 2011 said:

redag06 said:

Humans were never meant to live the way that people live in New York either. Just because they and their ancestors were too afraid to venture more than a few miles into the country after coming through Ellis Island doesn't mean it's normal to live in a 98 square foot apartment on the 78th floor with 500,000 dirty people in the same building.
New York will become what is shown in Judge Dredd in terms of massive city size apartments.
PJYoung
AG
Mr. Lahey said:

Post hurricane satellite imagery
https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ida/index.html#11/29.1980/-90.1888

Whoa, using this with Google Maps and Street View to see what it looked like before. Wow.

Some of those houses wiped clean were massive and looked well constructed.
FarmerJohn
AG
If they waited until Saturday to pull the LMRP, that is very questionable decision. And that's putting it mildly. I would have a hard time of thinking someone would make that poor of a decision so I assumed they had problems recovering. But this is all speculation.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
SCW is sounding a little less certain about that disturbance moving into the gulf than they have. Sounds like we're gonna need to keep an eye on it after all.
Martin Q. Blank
NHC 30% chance formation in the next 5 days.
Seabreeze
Quincey P. Morris said:

SCW is sounding a little less certain about that disturbance moving into the gulf than they have. Sounds like we're gonna need to keep an eye on it after all.

Yea, read that this morning. Went from oh its nothing this week to Ummmm maybe something today

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.