Houston
Sponsored by

2021 Tropical Twofer

145,179 Views | 1102 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by htxag09
Chewy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heights looks to be without power west of Yale to Shepherd from 11th to 20th give it take. We lost it about an hour ago.
Post removed:
by user
CAR96
AG
How does Jim Cantore predict 14+ inches of rain yet to come to SE Texas and Mid County /Lake Charles and all weather reports on local news etc, radars I see show an expected of 4-6 inches?
jenn96
AG
77429 (Louetta & Grant area of cypress).heavy heavy wind - it feels like being in a car wash. Lots of rain but not flood levels, but it's coming in sideways so getting in windows. There's a leak coming down from the attic into a bathroom which should be fun to deal with. Haven't lost power yet but we generally do in storms so I'm sure it's just a matter of time.
MelvinUdall
jayelbee said:

Dollars to donuts that most of you guys with frequent power issues live in older areas that are served by overhead power with large trees.

It's hard to keep trees off the lines during events like this and freezes. The only way that will improve is by replacing the distribution system on your block.

My neighborhood is about 17 years old and still building.
grimace07
AG
Power is out in 77055
AgLiving06
Power is out all over Houston. Has nothing to do with lines above or below the ground.

Centerpoint just doesn't invest in what it takes to keep the grid up to date. There's a reason so many people are getting generators. You cannot count on centerpoint during any sort of storm.
DrZ
AG
83% of customers are on. By lunch it will be 95. It's not Harvey outages.
Post removed:
by user
Anti-taxxer
AG

We slept through it all, apparently. Power flickered around 2 according to the microwave. Other than that, all is well.
bigjag19
AG
6 hours now.
Irish 2.0
Chewy said:

Heights looks to be without power west of Yale to Shepherd from 11th to 20th give it take. We lost it about an hour ago.

Never lost it. East of 11th at Cortlandt. I swear I must be on a hospital or emergency services grid. Didn't lose it during the winter storm either
IDaggie06
AG
Chewy said:

Look at me I live in the heights
mazag08
AG
jenn96 said:

77429 (Louetta & Grant area of cypress).heavy heavy wind - it feels like being in a car wash. Lots of rain but not flood levels, but it's coming in sideways so getting in windows. There's a leak coming down from the attic into a bathroom which should be fun to deal with. Haven't lost power yet but we generally do in storms so I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I'm closer to Telge and woke up at 5:30. Lots of wind and power went out at 5:45 and still hasn't come back.
Sea Speed
AG
Lost a couple of branches. Trimmed the hell out of these pines a few months back and these were out of reach. Hell I wish more would have fallen. Neighbor had his trees trimmed last week and I'm sure he is thanking his lucky stars today.

Side note, pines in the yard sucks. I want to cut them down and put magnolia trees or something in their place, but don't want to wait 15 years for growth.

Martin Q. Blank
Anti-taxxer said:

We slept through it all, apparently. Power flickered around 2 according to the microwave. Other than that, all is well.
Your microwave can talk?
redag06
DrZ said:

83% of customers are on. By lunch it will be 95. It's not Harvey outages.

You're right it isn't Harvey outages, currently
at MORE than Harvey outages.
TXAG 05
AG
K Bo said:

Dang, what section are you in?

ETA: I'm in 6 but just talked to a friend that owns a business in 13 and that business is without power.

Shepherd Park Plaza.
V8Aggie
AG
Lost power to both beach house cameras around midnight. RIP cart.
TXTransplant
77389. Power flickered just after 5 am but came back on within a minute or two. Still on now.

It's a surprise because I've been saying for years that our power goes out if a bird farts. We do have Centerpoint infrastructure issues in our area. Power goes out on a regular basis since I moved in 8+ years ago, even when the weather isn't bad.
Sea Speed
AG
I would have a whole home generator if I was in your situation. Different part of town but we haven't lost power once in an event since buying the house in 2017. A transformer has blown once or twice in the area randomly resulting in outages but thats not comparable. We are lucky because we will have power but something like 50-75% of the area does seem to lose power in a lot of these events.
Fitch
AG
Water Oaks are your friend. Super fast growers for oaks. Ours put on 20' of height and 40' of canopy diameter in 10 years.
AustinCountyAg
V8Aggie said:

Ffffuuuuuuuiiiiiiiiccccccckkkkk
TXTransplant
Sea Speed said:

I would have a whole home generator if I was in your situation. Different part of town but we haven't lost power once in an event since buying the house in 2017. A transformer has blown once or twice in the area randomly resulting in outages but thats not comparable. We are lucky because we will have power but something like 50-75% of the area does seem to lose power in a lot of these events.

The exterior of the house is plumbed for a natural gas one. I thought about getting one when I bought it, but I just didn't think I would need it enough to justify the cost. Even in Harvey, our power wasn't our more than a couple of hours.

The the freeze happened, and we were without power for at least a day longer than everyone else in our 'hood because of an "oversight" on Centerpoint's end. And I learned no power in the cold is way worse than no power in the summer.

I was ready to pull the trigger after that, but of course everyone and their brother wanted a generator. I'm still contemplating it. Portable isn't a good option because two cars leave little space in the garage, and I'm not sure I could drag it out if I'm here alone (kid will be going off to college in a couple of years).
Chewy
AG
IDaggie06 said:

Chewy said:

Look at me I live in the heights
Don't get too excited. It's a run down apartment but it does smell of rich mahogany.
V8Aggie
AG
Unless you're elderly there's no way no power in the cold is worse than summer.

I'll be in my blanket tent reading.
aggiedata
AG
The bear guy was funny. This guy though

Funky Winkerbean
AG
CAR96 said:

How does Jim Cantore predict 14+ inches of rain yet to come to SE Texas and Mid County /Lake Charles and all weather reports on local news etc, radars I see show an expected of 4-6 inches?
They aren't paid to be accurate.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
rononeill
I'm guessing this V8Aggie had a very different freeze experience than EVERYONE I know. I was always in the "put on another jacket" camp... I like cold weather. But that was absolutely horrible. Totally changed my position. When you're cold and have no way to warm up- that's a really helpless situation. But my folks had a generator, so we rolled over there and laughed about it and ate lobster and stuff like that.
TXTransplant
V8Aggie said:

Unless you're elderly there's no way no power in the cold is worse than summer.

I'll be in my blanket tent reading.

I'm not elderly, I just HATE the cold. I'm in my house with a jacket on right now. I'd rather it be hot and humid any day over cold and icy. Been this way my whole life. Maybe it will change when I start having hot flashes.
Martin Q. Blank
V8Aggie said:

We will not accept excuses. Get down there with a UPS battery and get it back online.
TXAG 05
AG
aggiedata said:

The bear guy was funny. This guy though

That's awesome
Sea Speed
AG
My buddy has a setup similar and the generator is on wheels and not too terribly hard to move. Id think that a neighbor would be willing to help as well for a 2 minute job moving a generator. At least id hope your neighbors aren't such big dicks thst they wouldn't help you move it. Easy to spend someone else's money bit if its already plumbed idnhave had that long ago.
TXTransplant
Sea Speed said:

My buddy has a setup similar and the generator is on wheels and not too terribly hard to move. Id think that a neighbor would be willing to help as well for a 2 minute job moving a generator. At least id hope your neighbors aren't such big dicks thst they wouldn't help you move it. Easy to spend someone else's money bit if its already plumbed idnhave had that long ago.

Ha! ~I'M~ the neighbor who helps out everyone else! Showed multiple people how to turn on their gas fireplaces (with an electric lighter) during the freeze. Calmed people who were freaking the heck out down during Harvey. Right now I'm keeping an eye on my neighbor's house because her husband died suddenly/unexpectedly and she's staying with family out of state.

Maybe I just need to move! (Kidding/not kidding)

My neighbors are all pretty great, I just don't think I could count on them for more than wheeling out my trash and feeding my cats.

The nat gas ones are awesome. One of my neighbors has one, and it comes on automatically. She doesn't have to do a thing besides have a tech service it once a year. She was very gracious and let us put stuff in her fridge and charge our phones during the freeze.

Only downside is it's LOUD. Not so much a problem for me, but it just rubs it in the face of the neighbors who don't have one!
cajunaggie08
AG
My old house in Copperfield had 2 pines out front and I hated those things. Some of the neighbors started removing them just because they hated them so much. It looked weird to have a random house with no mature trees in the front but they didnt have to deal with pine needles so I guess they were the real winners.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.