Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa

228,874 Views | 1169 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by aggiesundevil4
japantiger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Hunting in the Northern Cape. Day 6 of 50 hunting days. I'll miss 1st month of football season (miss Miami game).
japantiger
S
Started North of Pretoria near Botswana border. ...15 ft.
giddings_ag_06
AG
50 days?! You could have the longest running, best Live thread ever. Nice lizard.
Goodest Poster
AG
Wow...what a trip. What a croc
Always the most goodest
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Congrats on winning that mega millions a few weeks back. Looks like a hell of a trip. Thread could use just a few more pics. Day 5 of hunting and 2 pics?!?
Howdy Dammit
AG
I love hunting. But 50 days… holy crap.
Hungry Ojos
japantiger said:

Hunting in the Northern Cape. Day 6 of 50 hunting days. I'll miss 1st month of football season (miss Miami game).

Which one are you?

In all seriousness, awesome pics.
Colt98
AG
I look forward to watching this thread progress. Good Luck.
aggiesundevil4
AG
MOAR pics and stories!!! Gun(s)? Outfitter(s)? Conditions? Food? Travel method(s)? Target species?
-outdoors board
TxAG-010
AG
Awesome!!
Aggie Hunter
AG
Yep I think I will follow alone for some updated pics and stories.
japantiger
S
Day 2... after Croc hunt flew 800 miles West to the Northern Cape ... Airfield photo below. Croc was in a well watered area near the Batswana border known for big Croc . Multiple rivers criss cross the area and lots of washes and ponds left behind. The big Crocs basically stake out a pond and eat things that come to water there...
japantiger
japantiger
S
My PH for the full trip is a 25 year old South African native that is taking over more of the responsibility from his Dad. He started hunting with his Dad when he was 4. The PH is an Aggie and he married an Aggie from Amarillo.
Log
AG
Rifle specs?
japantiger
S
I'm shooting a Blaser R8, .375 H&H....with a Swarovski Z8i 2-16x scope. Carbon fiber stock. The rig comes in just under 10 pounds. Barnes VOR-TX 300 Gr softs and solids. I had the barrel ported and recoil is nothing...I shoot it in a t-shirt.
japantiger
S
Day 2 and old Black Wildebest ... 215 yds off shooting sticks. The Croc was @70 yds with sticks. One in the brain and a quick followup behind the shoulder to ensure it couldn't maneuver back into the water. The brain shot did the trick . No swimming involved in retrieval.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Holy crap that gun and optic costs more than my entire trip to Namibia last year!
I now have a man crush on japantiger - 50 day safari plus top notch gear.
aggiesundevil4
AG
That's a monster black wildebeest! Well done. My buddy on the Namibia trip last year got one not even close to that big!
japantiger
S
aggiesundevil4 said:

Holy crap that gun and optic costs more than my entire trip to Namibia last year!
I now have a man crush on japantiger - 50 day safari plus top notch gear.

Worked hard to reduce weight...not a spring chicken anymore and things like hunting moose and bear in Alaska put weight at a premium. I also have 300 Win Mag barrel, but only carry one gun to Africa. I shoot it well and it simplifies logistics, ammo and I don't have to worry what gun I need when in this kind of environment....dangerous game requires a .375 minimum. So I don't want to run into a cape buffalo and be under gunned
japantiger
S
aggiesundevil4 said:

That's a monster black wildebeest! Well done. My buddy on the Namibia trip last year got one not even close to that big!

I shot one in Namibia in 2019 and this one makes him look like a hobo
Hungry Ojos
I'm so effing jealous about literally everything in this thread.
West Texan
AG
Hungry Ojos said:

I'm so effing jealous about literally everything in this thread.

Same
Jack Ruby
Yep, wish I had the free time and money that some of you guys have.
giddings_ag_06
AG
Jack Ruby said:

japantiger
S
giddings_ag_06 said:

Jack Ruby said:

This is me...the biggest dumbass ole country boy ever... Forrest Gump would say my story is preposterous
japantiger
S
Copper Springbok....there are 4 Springbok....White, Black, Copper and Standard. ~210 yds off sticks
Shoefly!
AG
Beautiful! What's the favorite local beer over there?
japantiger
S
Shoefly! said:

Beautiful! What's the favorite local beer over there?

Castle in most places...or Windhoek....I like Windhoek.

Serious Lee
the entire board is living vicariously through you the next month.

japantiger
S
It's winter here....they generally consider Sept 1 1st day of Spring. Temps are usually mid 40s overnight to mid 70s during the day....this morning it was 29....it's going to be 25 in the morning. Nothing was moving this morning...this afternoon there was tons of game out sunning. Going out later in the AM. We spent 3 hours on the ground looking for Nyala this morning. Saw them about 1000 yards out....they moved slowly and just stayed in the low ground and thick brush. Probably bedded down and just let us walk in circles.
Damn near froze to death on the truck afterwards ... Had worked up a pretty good sweat and temps in the high 30's with 20 MPH winds was a magic formula for misery
japantiger
S
Getting late here...signing off. Gonna sleep in due to cold weather...get out after it warms a bit. This was coming back into camp tonight
B-1 83
AG
japantiger said:

Copper Springbok....there are 4 Springbok....White, Black, Copper and Standard. ~210 yds off sticks

Some say the Kalahari is a separate one, my outfitter said it fell under "common". I have all four of what you cited. That's a dandy.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
B-1 83
AG
japantiger said:

It's winter here....they generally consider Sept 1 1st day of Spring. Temps are usually mid 40s overnight to mid 70s during the day....this morning it was 29....it's going to be 25 in the morning. Nothing was moving this morning...this afternoon there was tons of game out sunning. Going out later in the AM. We spent 3 hours on the ground looking for Nyala this morning. Saw them about 1000 yards out....they moved slowly and just stayed in the low ground and thick brush. Probably bedded down and just let us walk in circles.
Damn near froze to death on the truck afterwards ... Had worked up a pretty good sweat and temps in the high 30's with 20 MPH winds was a magic formula for misery
Nyala is an animal that be standing in plain sight, then take two steps in the shadows and disappear….. One of my favorites.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
japantiger
S
B-1 83 said:

japantiger said:

Some say the Kalahari is a separate one, my outfitter said it fell under "common". I have all four of what you cited. That's a dandy.

I took a shot at 365 yards off sticks at a Standard. Missed high. Too much up down reticle movement. Only reason I shot was with the .375, is if you hit an animal that size of a Springbok it will go down. Shot a Black at 265 yds on sticks on day 3 afternoon....will post photo later. Frankly, for most game, I won't take a shot off sticks over 200....my personal confidence limit....and I really push to get to 100 if there is any way possible.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.