***** Red Dead Redemption 2 Official Thread*****

96,032 Views | 897 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DallasTeleAg
Laser Wolf
How long do you want to ignore this user?
ag82z said:

You have to do the first mission with Hosea, the one where you visit the stables for the first time in Valentine. That's where you'll find the war horse.

I'm in the stables and I don't see anything called a War Horse. WTF?
Robk
Laser Wolf said:

ag82z said:

You have to do the first mission with Hosea, the one where you visit the stables for the first time in Valentine. That's where you'll find the war horse.

I'm in the stables and I don't see anything called a War Horse. WTF?
It is called an ard???? something. It is the free one at the bottom
jokershady
AG
Holy hell this game is huge! I decided what the hell I'll keep playing with my kids up, but just ride around and see what I come across....found out you CAN ride into Blackwater down south but you're wanted dead or alive there...so you won't survive long.

Got out before a bounty hunter or lawman saw me and kept heading east.

Got robbed, tried to shoot my way out and got my ass kicked!

Came across this one dude who was about to die...picked him up and carried him to a doctor more towards the east and it ends up being this big city area....

Still didn't make it all the way east and now that I've uncovered much more of the map, realizing just how much more I haven't uncovered and how massive this game is.

Wow!
Thunder18
AG
The legendary bear, not the one from the deer hunt

Xbox. I reinstalled and it works, but I did have to start back at the train heist. Moralof the story: always save manually
AgsWin2011
AG
Is the game really 2 discs to load?
n_touch
Sure is. Takes about an hour.
InnerCityAg
Laser Wolf said:

FIDO95 said:

Laser Wolf said:

You don't have to fight the bear. I just rode past it.

New Army.

I'm just risk adverse.

I took the bear down with the knife. That ain't no *****

I did empty the revolver and took 2 nicely placed shots with the rifle before the bear tackled me.
PooDoo
AG
I skinned the legendary bear and brought it back to camp. I wanted to stash it in my tent but wherever you drop it in camp in moves it to the ground by the horses. Gives a message that when dropped in camp it will be move to a different location. Called it a night and when I load up today is says I surrendered my legendary bear skin.

Is there a way to travel to destinations quicker?
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Just started playing.

I got to the part where you learn how to hunt. After I put the deer on my horse, the game started showing me how to go through and see information about your horse. I thought I had to hit B to back out of viewing the information. Next thing I know, I rear back and slug my horse right in the side. I felt so bad that I spent the next minute patting my horse.

The game is super immersive, but it looks like I will have to pay super close attention to the controls to avoid accidents like this.
jtstanley4621
AG
Yep I accidentally punched my horse in the first mission. Felt horrible about it.
PPAag06
AG
I don't have the new edition of either the Xbox or PlayStation. Which version is better knowing that? Was thinking about upgrading the PlayStation to Pro with RDRII but i hear it's not worth it. Thoughts?
HossAg
AG
Xbox one X is the superior console if you're looking for a Pro console.
Not a Bot
AG
PPAag06 said:

I don't have the new edition of either the Xbox or PlayStation. Which version is better knowing that? Was thinking about upgrading the PlayStation to Pro with RDRII but i hear it's not worth it. Thoughts?

It may be worth it if you have an HDR TV...it really is a noticeable difference. The game itself won't play any different. I chose the Ps4 Pro because of the Sony exclusive games.
YouBet
AG
All the reviews I've read said this game can be boring and very tedious. I may wait this one out for a while. Plus, I don't have the X or a 4K tv yet.
Laser Wolf
YouBet said:

All the reviews I've read said this game can be boring and very tedious. I may wait this one out for a while. Plus, I don't have the X or a 4K tv yet.

They are lying. This game is amazing.
Laser Wolf
Bobby Jimbo said:

Just started playing.

I got to the part where you learn how to hunt. After I put the deer on my horse, the game started showing me how to go through and see information about your horse. I thought I had to hit B to back out of viewing the information. Next thing I know, I rear back and slug my horse right in the side. I felt so bad that I spent the next minute patting my horse.

The game is super immersive, but it looks like I will have to pay super close attention to the controls to avoid accidents like this.

I must be the worst horse parent here. In the last hour of playing I have:

1. Knocked out my horse by running full speed into a tree or building..... twice.
2. Accidentally jumped off a bridge with my horse, nearly killing it.
HossAg
AG
I haven't seen a review yet that was less than 10/10.
Average Joe
AG
I have the X with a 1080p tv and it still looks absolutely amazing. My wife has made several comments about it looking like a movie. She doesn't game at all but she's sat there watching me play for a while.

The first chapter is somewhat of a tutorial without trying to seem like one, so I can see the tedious part. However, after that there is no way this could be considered boring.
YouBet
AG
HossAg said:

I haven't seen a review yet that was less than 10/10.
I've read three reviews (not scored) that make boring and tedious claims. Regardless, I will end up buying this game but going to upgrade my hardware first. Need to do that anyway.
Halibut
AG
The game is absolutely boring and tedious at times. To me, it does a good job of being immersive rather than frustrating, but I'm sure that line is different for everyone.
PPAag06
AG
FYI, game stop has a decent deal to trade in and upgrade to an Xbox one x. Stacks with $100 off when buying rdr.
zip04
AG
I absolutely love this game. I even believe it is better than Horizon Zero Dawn, which was amazing.

There is a lot of horse back riding from location to location, but they do a great job of not making it take too long and do an amazing job of splicing in cut scenes when you are doing it as part of a mission.

Once the map opens up even more (such a large game environment), the fast travel will be needed.

The graphics and entire feel of the game is jaw dropping.
zip04
AG
PPAag06 said:

It all depends on what you want out of it. I have the PS4 Pro and am glad I have it. The console exclude games are much better on the PS4 IMO.

However, I almost bought an Xbox One X as a second console simply for the 4K blue ray player (PS4 Pro can stream 4K, but can't play the hard disc movies).
n_touch
Trade in for an old ps4 500gb was $150. Made the upgrade an easy choice.
TresPuertas
AG
Ok. So I'm a couple of hours in and I'll say I'm enjoying this game, but the reviews of 10/10 that you're reading everywhere aren't accurate either.

It's a beautiful game to be sure, but it's far from perfect. The best way I can describe it is that it's almost too much. The constant need to feed, brush, whisper sweet nothings, to your horse. The constant need to bathe, shave, change clothes... I have enough responsibility in the real world, I don't need to raise kids in the video game world. It's an element that just doesn't add any fun. Rockstar tried this in San Andreas and had abandoned it until now. They should have left these elements to die

Hopefully it's something I just get used to in the course of playing the game, but I don't love the fact that I have responsibilities playing video games. It's where I go to avoid them.
Humorous Username
AG
I'm about 7.5 hours in, and I am enjoying the slow pace of life in the game.

This is a game where, if I was still single and childless, I would only work, sleep, and play this game each day.
jr15aggie
AG
PPAag06 said:

I posted the digital foundry YouTube videos several pages back, they do a good job talking about each console and performance.

Short version is the base PS4 is superior to the base Xbox which falls short of 1080p. On the flip side, the X dominates the Pro with 4k resolution and the most stable frame rates. The Pro is more of a nice upgrade than a night and day difference.
PPAag06
AG
Thanks, ended up seeing it earlier after my original question. Opted to upgrade the Xbox instead and am downloading updates now. Thanks everybody.
AGinHI
AG
TresPuertas said:

Ok. So I'm a couple of hours in and I'll say I'm enjoying this game, but the reviews of 10/10 that you're reading everywhere aren't accurate either.

It's a beautiful game to be sure, but it's far from perfect. The best way I can describe it is that it's almost too much. The constant need to feed, brush, whisper sweet nothings, to your horse. The constant need to bathe, shave, change clothes... I have enough responsibility in the real world, I don't need to raise kids in the video game world. It's an element that just doesn't add any fun. Rockstar tried this in San Andreas and had abandoned it until now. They should have left these elements to die

Hopefully it's something I just get used to in the course of playing the game, but I don't love the fact that I have responsibilities playing video games. It's where I go to avoid them.

I appreciate your honest review.

I returned to gaming when graphics became more realistic and I would very much like to play RDR2 for that reason; however, I have learned that I don't enjoy "too much" (which is probably due to age).

The Witcher and Horizon for me were both "too much." I recognize they are great games and do enjoy them, but at some point I invariably lose track of the story and find myself just wanting to get to the end (and had no interest in the dlc). I guess open world games are not for me, but the aesthetic design compels me to try anyway.
“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
jtstanley4621
AG
TresPuertas said:

Yep I agree. The constant need to eat and refuel is a bit tedious as well. Stamina should just regenerate after a bit of time.
AliasMan02
AG
Just an hour or maybe two past the first chapter, which I've spent in camp and just exploring a bit. I'm going to play this game for hundreds of hours.

To refute the tediousness claims, it may wear on me eventually, but there is food for you and your horse EVERYWHERE. It hasn't been a big deal for me yet.
Laser Wolf
jtstanley4621 said:

TresPuertas said:

Yep I agree. The constant need to eat and refuel is a bit tedious as well. Stamina should just regenerate after a bit of time.

I don't really find that the various "cores" deplete too fast that it becomes annoying to maintain them. I do get annoyed with how slow the cooking process is for meat and crafting stuff. I wish I could just tap a button and make things quick.
jr15aggie
AG
My best pistol disappeared after I died during a mission shootout. That space was just empty. After finishing the mission and back on my horse I can select my other pistols, but my favorite is gone.

Any way to get it back? I can't think of anything I can do back at the camp, the horse has an my crap.

I think it was just a weird glitch.
Captmorg70
I can understand how some players could find the game tedious. There are a ton of little things to do. I really enjoy it however. The customization in the game is pretty insane. Clothes, Gun, Camp, even horse saddles. Also the graphics are amazing. Cutscenes are very smooth in/out too.

This game is slow paced. It's not going to tell you a story quickly. The game feels almost like you are telling the story in all the little things you do.... I love running into abandoned buildings to loot and shooting a deer while walking down a mountain after a mission. You can easily get lost with everything with this game

Also controls are very much like other Rockstar games...
AliasMan02
AG
Probably not worth much buried this deep in the thread, but if you didn't have time for a replay of RDR, I highly recommend this:

Basically the main story cinematics from RDR woven together into a movie. Reminded me of some things I had forgotten about.

Also, damn... RDR rules.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.