***** Red Dead Redemption 2 Official Thread*****

96,020 Views | 897 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by DallasTeleAg
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Still can't get over how great this game is. It's destroying my sleep schedule.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jokershady
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Still can't get over how great this game is. It's destroying my sleep schedule.
Same here....

Still only on chapter 3, but not from a lack of playing...having just as much fun roaming around doing side quests and interacting with strangers.

Came across a random murder scene under a railroad track at one point....come to find out there's 3 more of them throughout the map and my assumption is that if you find all 4 it'll take you to the murderer as another side mission
Hootie
AG
I am looking to upgrade my Xbox just to play this game.

I currently have an Xbox 360 and am trying to decide if it's worth the extra $ to get the X instead of the S. I don't have a 4k TV...I'm waiting for my plasma to die before I upgrade.

Would the upgrade to the X be worth it for this game even if I don't have a 4k TV?
zip04
AG
Hootie said:

I am looking to upgrade my Xbox just to play this game.

I currently have an Xbox 360 and am trying to decide if it's worth the extra $ to get the X instead of the S. I don't have a 4k TV...I'm waiting for my plasma to die before I upgrade.

Would the upgrade to the X be worth it for this game even if I don't have a 4k TV?
In my opinion, I would go with the best system possible if you can swing the extra $. This will not only provide a better picture quality and more FPS in current games, but is also more future proof. When the next gen systems come out, you can still use the X as a 4K blueray player (I still use a PS3 as a blueray player in my bedroom).
AirplaneAg09
AG
I mentioned a few pages back that I decided to start a second run at about 50% through the first one. My thinking was I'd play through the first chapter and get down out of the mountains and do a hard save file at the start of the second chapter. That way I'd always have a brand new character to come start at any time I feel like starting a new game.

Been having an absolute blast doing nothing but hunting and treasure seeking. I've played the second character far enough to move to the second camp but have spent hours collecting pelts, legendary animals and fish, outfits, and upgrades. Tons of small little details and side missions I missed on my first time through as well.
PooDoo
AG
There is a notable difference in load times.
Chase McGuire
I'm at about 70% total game completion right now, and I believe I'm one or two missions from the end of the final epilogue. Long story short, this game was not for me. I understand why so many people are enamored with it, and it does some things incredibly well - better than any game I've ever played in some areas.

But I think the control scheme, ponderous, imprecise movement and some of the story beats toward the end held it back. Many things in the game felt like a chore, especially riding across the map to start a mission only to have to follow another character to another area to actually start it. I also think the combat is terrible.

Dunkey did a really good job of explaining a lot of the things I was thinking in his review of the game.

Overall, I liked the game alright, and I understand why some think it's a masterpiece. I'm glad y'all are enjoying it, but it wasn't for me. Don't want to be a wet blanket on the thread. Just my perspective. Anyone else have similar thoughts?
jtstanley4621
AG
I think that's a fair take. I haven't finished the game yet but I will say this: I have liked the game a lot so far but the best game I've played this year is God of War, and I don't think it's really close.
BenFiasco14
AG
It's a great game, but it still isn't on the level of the Witcher 3
tk for tu juan
That bear running around like puppy with a new toy is awesome.
DVC2010
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

The really big open world games usually lose my attention eventually, and I either put the game down and never get around to finishing it, or I race through the end of the story to cross it off my list. The Witcher 3 was the exception. I played the main story, as many side quests as I could find, and both expansions, and I was still sad when it was over.

RDR3 is fun. I love the attention to detail. It looks phenomenal. It's still not going to make my list of favorites.
Laser Wolf
BenFiasco14 said:

I couldn't get into Witcher 3. The wild west theme is much more interesting to me.

Also, I think controls for Witcher 3 are really bad. Too jerky, and the combat is not fun.
zip04
AG
Laser Wolf said:

BenFiasco14 said:

I couldn't get into Witcher 3. The wild west theme is much more interesting to me.

Also, I think controls for Witcher 3 are really bad. Too jerky, and the combat is not fun.
I love the Western theme as well. I haven't even ridden the train or done fast travel yet (aside from the few missions that required you getting on a train) because I enjoy the random events that take place between towns.

For instance. I was playing at lunch today and I opened my satchel to look at an item. My horse starts moving around and making noise, before I realize what is going on I get bucked off and land about 15 feet from a bear. It pounces on me and I end up barely killing it before it killed me.

You never know what is going to happen in this game.
jokershady
AG
zip04 said:

Laser Wolf said:

BenFiasco14 said:

I love the Western theme as well. I haven't even ridden the train or done fast travel yet (aside from the few missions that required you getting on a train) because I enjoy the random events that take place between towns.

For instance. I was playing at lunch today and I opened my satchel to look at an item. My horse starts moving around and making noise, before I realize what is going on I get bucked off and land about 15 feet from a bear. It pounces on me and I end up barely killing it before it killed me.

You never know what is going to happen in this game.
This.

Reminds me a lot of "Shadows of War." The random occurrences in that game were insane and throw in their army system upgrades and the whole experience became unique for each player.

This isn't necessarily on that level but in all respects it's not trying to be. The random events here are designed to create a much more immersive feeling and does it incredibly well!
Thunder18
AG
Laser Wolf said:

BenFiasco14 said:

I thought the same thing re: Witcher 3 controls, then switched my combat build and perks and it was much smoother

/Back to RDR2 discussion
Sq1dvm
AG
I went into some castle on W3, life got in the way, couldn't play for 3 weeks, then fired it back up and couldn't find my way out of said castle. I tried for 30 minutes, then put it down and never picked it back up. I was also perpetually encumbered because I couldn't find anyone to sell my loot too.
So far I haven't gotten lost in a building in Red Dead, so it's got that going for it....which is nice.
BenFiasco14
AG
So I just turned in a bounty in Saint Denis, exit the police station and go to mount my horse. I push Y and Arthur just suddenly lunges at a pedestrian and starts choking him out. Problem is, five deputies were just hanging out there outside the station as I strangled this random person. I quickly panicked and released him as five cops starting firing at me and I hauled ass outta there and was chased by like six cops on horseback. That $10 bounty turned into the chase of my life.

I survived, and the bounty was paid, but god dang. I had no clue Y could just strangle people
InnerCityAg
So, if you skip side missions in certain chapters, does it let you go back and do them later? I have been doing just that expecting to go back and do them later.

If not, maybe I need to slow down the main story. I'm in the early part of chapter 3.
zip04
AG
InnerCityAg said:

So, if you skip side missions in certain chapters, does it let you go back and do them later? I have been doing just that expecting to go back and do them later.

If not, maybe I need to slow down the main story. I'm in the early part of chapter 3.
I would assume so, but am not positive. You can always click the options button (PS4), Story, and then choose a previous chapter to go back to it. I would assume that would open up the side missions as well. You would have to try it to know for sure.
BenFiasco14
AG
InnerCityAg said:

Unsure if all of them work this way, but for example I didn't go hunting with Charles in chapter two, but I still got the option to do it in chapter three
Gomer95
AG
How come when something crazy goes down in a town and I shoot lawmen, I get a bounty racked up even when I had my mask on? I thought wearing a mask prevented that? I also usually change outfits before I go rob something. Does the bounty just happen no matter what? I had to pay a $480 bounty and it left me with 83 cents LOL.
Humorous Username
AG
I took down the legendary beaver last night. I'll be riding north to nab the legendary moose tonight.

What, in your opinion, is the hardest legendary animal, or fish, to find and collect?
AirplaneAg09
AG
So far for me it's been the legendary fox. Not difficult to find but as you're tracking clues, one of them just seems to disappear into the hillside. Took me awhile to figure out you have to continue up and over the hill to pick it up on the other side. More frustrating than anything.

Thought I had seen most of the encounters with the Murfree Brood but came across one last night where they shot my horse from the road and lured me into the woods only to fall into a pit they had dug. Couple of well-placed headshots from the bottom of the hole and I was out, but I'm still seeing new things after probably 75+ hours of play!
BenFiasco14
AG
Humorous Username said:

I took down the legendary beaver last night. I'll be riding north to nab the legendary moose tonight.

What, in your opinion, is the hardest legendary animal, or fish, to find and collect?
The hardest legendary fish for me so far was the salmon. That ******* broke my line like four or five times, and I also moved spots like three times, before I was finally able to reel him in. that ******* was 54 pounds!
tk for tu juan
Humorous Username said:

I took down the legendary beaver last night.

Mary Linton?
Thunder18
AG
Legendary salmon was a SOB to catch, legendary bull gator has been the scariest to hunt, he took 5 headshots from my bolt action and charged at me...3-5 more headshots and he died at my feet in the muck

Haven't gone after the cougar yet, but I imagine that will be tough as they are so fast and quiet
nomad2007
AG
Humorous Username said:

Good for you.

I've only bagged average beaver so far.
Humorous Username
AG
nomad2007 said:

Humorous Username said:

Good for you.

I've only bagged average beaver so far.

Legendary beaver isn't all it's cracked up to be. You have to look at a lot of the wood it's chewed up before you can find it.
Average Joe
AG
How do you unlock more guns? Or do they unlock in different towns? I'm still in Chapter 2 just running around doing side missions, but I'm tired of these crappy starting guns.
AirplaneAg09
AG
I think the weapons only unlock as you progress through chapters of the game. The key is upgrading all of the stuff you have with the gunsmith and buying and using the high powered ammo. I've been using my original Cattleman's Revolver all the way through the game so far.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Average Joe said:

How do you unlock more guns? Or do they unlock in different towns? I'm still in Chapter 2 just running around doing side missions, but I'm tired of these crappy starting guns.
You can find, steal, and rob for some pretty great guns early on. This guy has a pretty good playlist on where to find them.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdtfOMa5CM3Xrr3ufCZCg61Z3vlMy7o26
Laser Wolf
Average Joe said:

I got the schoffield revolver pretty early in the game by doing a robbery side quest in Valentine. I discovered that I could rob the location by setting a prisoner free who was being transported in a wagon.
zip04
AG
Yesterday was a productive day even though I didn't do any missions. I only had about an hour and a half to play so I figured I would ride up to the North and look into something I saw on Youtube. Enroute I saved a guy who was being kidnapped by two men. After cutting him free he shoved me and said I was trying to hurt him as well. I thought about shooting him in the back while he ran off, but figured I would leave it alone.

Rode on up to the old train wreck site and found the 2 bars of gold and other items. On my way to the Fence I stumbled upon an area I recognized from one of the treasure maps, so I stopped to look for the treasure and it also happened to be where the legendary wolf is, so I collected both of those and headed to the trapper and then on the fence.

Enroute, there was a guy yelling for help and saying he was sick. It ended up being an ambush, so I killed the two men and looted them as well.

Even when you don't accomplish anything towards the progression of the actual story line, the game is still so much fun.
Bregxit
AG
Anyone come across the KKK initiation yet? Pretty dang funny!
BenFiasco14
AG
dlance said:

Anyone come across the KKK initiation yet? Pretty dang funny!

Where is that? I've yet to find that

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.