*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,808 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Drew Magary is probably my favorite current writer. Dude is hilarious. He wrote a book about parenting stories that's one of the funniest things I've ever read.
TCTTS
AG
YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE OFFENDED!!!!

(Seriously, I'm right there with you, and need to check that book out.)
The Porkchop Express
Definitely Not A Cop said:

My counter point is that he's a tv episode review writer, we shouldn't expect him to be Tolstoy. With the amount of money being poured into Star Wars, I do wish this show was the standard of writing since the first movie.
Guy's getting paid to write by a major website. Kids 3 months out of journalism school can tell you that you don't retread a cliche in the first few sentences. It'd be like the beat writer for the Houston paper saying, "Wow, Jim Crane sure hit a home run with the Astros! They won the World Series!"
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
powerbelly
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

It's not insulting, it's just the same lazy joke that every Internet genius uses. That the average Star Wars fan these is a 45 year old loser with no kids who likes Legos. I have no idea who this guy is, but then again I have no idea who nearly every writer these days is. It is ironic though that he is praising great writing on TV with lazy writing of his own, and if he thinks that Andor is providing a lot of fan service, then he definitely is missing the boat on what a rich Star Wars steeped show it is.

There may be more subtle fan service in Andor than any other series
tk for tu juan

That the average Star Wars fan these is a 45 year old loser with no kids who likes Legos.

Welp, guess that makes me the average Star Wars fan
Malachi Constant
AG
What book?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
TCTTS said:

YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE OFFENDED!!!!

(Seriously, I'm right there with you, and need to check that book out.)

Who's offended? Cause it isn't me. I just think it's lazy writing and I would think you of all people would recognize that.

He has good points but just can't help himself from "if you don't like this it's because you're a 45 year old basement dwelling loser."

For example: Good writing

""Andor" is not a show where the suit is the star. These are fully fleshed-out characters, played by actors who know precisely how good these roles are. They exist in a universe where the Empire-Rebel war is still very much pronounced, but they can see how flawed the inner workings of both enterprises can be."

******bag bad writing that doesn't serve to facilitate his point just bag on people he thinks he's better than.

"Their dialogue is easily a cut above the dialogue you find in other tentpole fare, much in the way that you realize how much nicer a pair of pants can be when you shop for them somewhere besides the Gap"
Malachi Constant
AG
So when will the first "overt" Star Wars fan service come in Andor and what are the odds on what it will be?

Lightsaber igniting: 100:1
Reference to Darth Vader: 25:1
Etc.
TCTTS
AG
My money is still on a Palpatine cameo.
TCTTS
AG
We also have to be getting close to either an outright or heavily inferred Death Star reference, via the ISB or someone higher up in the Empire.
sburg2007
What about 37 with kids and LEGO?
TCTTS
AG
A Jimmy Smits/Bail Organa appearance is another possibility.
powerbelly
AG
TCTTS said:

To me this is almost a guarantee.
redline248
AG
I'm surprised Bail hasn't been in it, yet, to be honest. He's a senator still, is he not? Or has Leia taken up that spot, yet? I think maybe she's about a year removed from that?

Anyway, Mothma's dinner party to try and get some votes is the kind of place one might expect Bail to be...surely they are senate allies, at least?

I hope we don't get a Death Star nod. It should be the super top secret that even the ISB wouldn't know...it's military, not security.
An L of an Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Same here! Feels inevitable for sure.
ABATTBQ11
AG
powerbelly said:

It's not insulting, it's just the same lazy joke that every Internet genius uses. That the average Star Wars fan these is a 45 year old loser with no kids who likes Legos. I have no idea who this guy is, but then again I have no idea who nearly every writer these days is. It is ironic though that he is praising great writing on TV with lazy writing of his own, and if he thinks that Andor is providing a lot of fan service, then he definitely is missing the boat on what a rich Star Wars steeped show it is.

There may be more subtle fan service in Andor than any other series

He's too ignorant to know the depth of said ignorance
Max Power
AG
How is this show getting better as it goes along? I thought Aldhani was about as good as this could get, I was wrong. Now it feels like forever ago, but it was just 4 weeks. How are they doing this? How was Kenobi as bad as it was when this is so damn good? This is what tv shows should be. The acting, the visuals, the story, the writing. This show is both improving and ruining the greater Star Wars universe at the same time. How is anyone else supposed to keep up with this? I'm having so much fun with it.
The Porkchop Express
sburg2007 said:

Or 48 and ditto?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
kyledr04
AG
Just finished episode 10. Man this show is great, arguably the best on D+. You could watch it without knowing anything.
PatAg
AG
I'll be disappointed if Bail Organa or the Emperor appears. It wouldnt make the show bad in any way, but I think its the sort of writing that we have praised this show for NOT doing.
The Porkchop Express
You would assume it would only be for a real specific purpose. I am interested what it means for Saw Gerrera since he is one and done so far. He and Cassian shouldn't meet each other because they don't know each other in Rogue One.

I really think a Palpatine cameo would be amazing in this context. Vicious Vader was a highlight of the Kenobi series, but Vader in the Hallway in Rogue One is still the top drawer interpretation of the younger, rageful Vader.

For my money, Palpatine was at his all-time menacing best in ROTJ, but imagine a scenario where Mon Mothma decides it's time to push a little harder in the SEnate and make some more inflammatory comments only to have Palpatine show up to listen, or stop her in the hallway,, or invite her to his office. It could really set in motion her GTFO plot line that has to be coming at such point.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
bobinator
AG
It's called "Someone could get hurt."
bobinator
AG
This is potentially a dumb question. But nobody knows the emperor is a force wielder right? The only people alive that know that are Anakin/Vader, Obi Wan and Yoda? Maybe Organa, seems like that would be critical info that Yoda could have shared but wouldn't be the first time.

Would be an interesting dynamic of this show that people are afraid of his power politically, but think he's basically a frail old man physically.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG

sburg2007 said:

Or 48 and ditto?
Or 55, 2 kids, Legos, scale model kits that I fitted out with LED lights, posters, bunches of action figures still on the cards as well as the Kenner vehicles, and all the movies and scores on both physical and digital media?
#FJB
sburg2007
Suddenly I feel completely normal!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ABATTBQ11
AG
PatAg said:

I'll be disappointed if Bail Organa or the Emperor appears. It wouldnt make the show bad in any way, but I think its the sort of writing that we have praised this show for NOT doing.

I disagree a little. They're inextricably linked to Mon Mothma, so there would be nothing out of the ordinary with one showing up.
The Porkchop Express
Bail Organa will need to stir the pot pretty hard in the next 5 years to justify the use of the Death Star on Alderaan
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
AgLaw02
AG

…and if he thinks that Andor isnt providing a lot of fan service, then he definitely is missing the boat on what a rich Star Wars steeped show it is.
The idea is that Andor isn't relying on cheeseball fan service like Kenobi of Book of Boba Fett, where producers just decided you don't need a good story, good characters, real stakes, a decent plot, or anything else because throwing fan-favorite characters in there is good enough.
Mathguy64
AG
So does Tarkin nuke Alderaan because of Bail, Leia, a combination of them or just because he is a psychopath?
ABATTBQ11
AG

Bail Organa will need to stir the pot pretty hard in the next 5 years to justify the use of the Death Star on Alderaan

Why? That was 100% to force Leia to talk and sow fear throughout the empire. It's not like Alderaan was always going to be the first target.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Mathguy64 said:

So does Tarkin nuke Alderaan because of Bail, Leia, a combination of them or just because he is a psychopath?

2 & 3. He wants Leia to give up the rebellion, and he's a psychopath with no qualms about destroying a planet or looking his own men to get what he wants. They weren't going to Alderaan until Leia refused to talk.
The Porkchop Express
ABATTBQ11 said:

Why? That was 100% to force Leia to talk and sow fear throughout the empire. It's not like Alderaan was always going to be the first target.
How do you know?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
ABATTBQ11
AG

ABATTBQ11 said:

How do you know?

Because I've seen A New Hope
The Porkchop Express
ABATTBQ11 said:

ABATTBQ11 said:

How do you know?

Because I've seen A New Hope
So what was the first target going to be instead of Alderaan?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.