*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,520 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It would be kind of great if they were making something totally trivial, like rotating bars for Senate parties.

I also really like the juxtaposition of Cassian's prison scenes with Mon Mothma's dinner party. Different environments but the same overarching theme - in a position where if they move too much in one direction, it's punishment and/or death. He has to play the part of hard-working prisoner in order to keep himself safe as he desperately looks for a way out. She has to play the role of vapid senator as she desperately looks for a way to fund the Rebellion and get herself the hell off Coruscant. Surrounded by people that you know you can't trust, wishing you could find one or two that you could.

Also love Cinta's line when the Waif is trying to appeal to her emotions.

"You knew when we started that this was a fight to the death."

I love the anti-hope messages here. Before you can inspire the individual being with hope of a free galaxy you have to show them just how ****ty things can get and find people willing to pay the ultimate sacrifice for an end result they won't live to see.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
TCTTS
AG
I noticed that Cassian/Mothma juxtaposition as well. Felt very intentional in the editing, more so than any other episode.
StinkyPinky
AG
Anyone notice the music, especially during certain scenes when he was in prison? Sounded like cheesy 1970m's sci fi sound track that I thought was perfect. Really added to the outrageousness of the situation. Thought it was unconventional but really worked.
redline248
AG
I got more of a Stranger Things vibe.

I wonder what the daughter is up to. She was acting super nervous at that party. Can anyone imagine being married at 15 years old? Holy sh-t, all I cared about at that age was Mortal Kombat 2 and baseball.
Mathguy64
AG
Wow. They finally made the Empire into a bureaucratic cruel hell. You get real glimpses of that in Rebels and just the suggestion of it everywhere else. Here you see it full frontal. The Emperor isn't what makes the Empire bad. It's the day to day grunts. The ISB. The prison guards in the labor camp. The Lieutenant who exudes cruelty.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Halfway through the episode, and I'm digging this THX 1138 vibe. A nod to Lucas for sure.

And damn it if they don't have me rooting for an Imperial officer to actually find Andor.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

TCTTS
AG
Completely missed the whole THX nod. Good call.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man I love this show. Really enjoy seeing how the Empire tightening their grip is rippling across the galaxy, from the prison system all the way up to the politicians in Coruscant.

And I guess the guy I thought was Jeremy Davies from the trailers is just Mon Mothma's husband, who is a spitting image of him when looking at his profile.

https://www.reddit.com/gallery/wdskqh

Also, did we just get Snoke's backstory?
Prosperdick
AG
I got a THX mixed with GOTG prison scene, especially the batons, really well done. Great job of making you feel the emotions of what that kind of life would be like and how easily some could decide to end it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Andor Redemption of the Galaxy 1138
AliasMan02
AG
Man, seeing the system beat Cassian is just heartbreaking. This show is so good.
AliasMan02
AG
My theory on what they're making is just the parts to construct next prison island.

Though, some sort of piece of superstructure for the Death Star would make sense, too. They've employed that sort of Rogue One symmetry in the series.
PatAg
AG
big Escape From Alcatraz vibes for me, which is an all-time great movie

For me the future for Cassian is 3 options
-external rescue via Luthen in some way
-internal escape
-serves all 5 years without dying or having time extended (not sure how that works with timeline)
-is found by the imperials in some way. However if this happens, it would have to then result in him being sprung from said imperials I would imagine
LB12Diamond
AG
So when they were reading the list of everything needed, the last item was "kill droid" and he said that one very slow. Is this a droid we have seen before?

My guess those are parts for the Death Star.
Apache
AG
Quote:

-is found by the imperials in some way. However if this happens, it would have to then result in him being sprung from said imperials I would imagine

It's leaning this way IMO. I think the Inspector actually ends up finding Cassian & is vindicated. Meero leads the charge to get him because somehow they can't get in touch with the prison colony.
Meanwhile a group led by Saw heads in to rescue Cassian. In the process of being transported out a jailbreak ensues. Huge prison riot occurs & heroes escape in the chaos. (Cue Thin Lizzy song)

Quote:

THX 1138
I've never seen this... any good?
jbryan10
AG
LB12Diamond said:

So when they were reading the list of everything needed, the last item was "kill droid" and he said that one very slow. Is this a droid we have seen before?

My guess those are parts for the Death Star.
"Code Droid"
The Porkchop Express
Apache said:

Quote:

It's leaning this way IMO. I think the Inspector actually ends up finding Cassian & is vindicated. Meero leads the charge to get him because somehow they can't get in touch with the prison colony.
Meanwhile a group led by Saw heads in to rescue Cassian. In the process of being transported out a jailbreak ensues. Huge prison riot occurs & heroes escape in the chaos. (Cue Thin Lizzy song)

Quote:

THX 1138
I've never seen this... any good?
When you consider his budget it's pretty cool, and if you're a Star Wars fanatic, it's fascinating to see the influences in it. There is a Wookie reference in it. It's also got a masturbation scene, so maybe put the kids to bed first.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
jeffk
AG
I thought they looked like TIE fighter parts.
LB12Diamond
AG
What's that?
bobinator
AG
PatAg said:

-internal escape
-serves all 5 years without dying or having time extended (not sure how that works with timeline)

No offense, but like... yeah. We know he can't die so "break out, someone breaks him out, serves his full sentence, is pulled out by the imps" are literally the only options right?

Except we know he doesn't stay his full sentence, it doesn't work with the timeline.

If I had to guess, there's going to be some kind of uprising (we saw the guys signing to each other) that Andor isn't connected to but he's going to take advantage of it to escape.
The Porkchop Express
It seems like it has to be an internal thing, since he and Melshi are both there now and Melshi ends up as part of the team that rescue Jyn as well being on Yavin IV together to go on the Scarif mission.

I can't imagine Luthen would rescue some other random guy if he was solely on a mission to get Cassian out.

My first guess on what they were building was the bottom of the probe droid. Will have to give it a good look on Rise of the Resistance next month!

Feels like at some point Andor will be part of a team that rescues Mon Mothma off of Coruscant.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Prosperdick
AG
bobinator said:

PatAg said:

-internal escape

No offense, but like... yeah. We know he can't die so "break out, someone breaks him out, serves his full sentence, is pulled out by the imps" are literally the only options right?

Except we know he doesn't stay his full sentence, it doesn't work with the timeline.

If I had to guess, there's going to be some kind of uprising (we saw the guys signing to each other) that Andor isn't connected to but he's going to take advantage of it to escape.

I just had a morbid thought but one way to escape would be for half the prisoners to basically give up their lives and hit the floor and allow the other half to walk on their dead bodies although I'm not sure if that would protect them or not or if the prison uniform of the dead would keep the current from transmitting.

All I know is that prison system is one of the worst I've ever seen dreamed up...no wonder Cassian loathes the Empire (assuming he only resented them before).
The Porkchop Express
Reminded me a bit of the prison in Face/Off with the lock down boots on the floor. Pretty sure someone got electrocuted so Sean Archer / Castor Troy could escape.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
bobinator
AG
Yeah kind of the opposite solution. In that one the prisoners had the boots and they were magnetic.
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

PatAg said:

-internal escape

No offense but like....thats why I was listing 3 options. What was the point of your post?

I was saying what appeared to be the potential future options for his story, and then after your random first sentence, you then engaged with that thought process.

You know, one of the reasons this thread exists
AliasMan02
AG
We're still a couple of years from Mothma becoming a fugitive and setting up the government in exile that we see in R1.
bobinator
AG
The point was mostly just to be sarcastic. You said "for me" but then listed literally the only options.
PatAg
AG
bobinator said:

The point was mostly just to be sarcastic. You said "for me" but then listed literally the only options.
Yea, it wasn't exactly subtle
PatAg
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Mon Mothma's daughter seemed really perturbed when she saw her mom and Tay at the party. Wonder if there was a missing deleted scene or something else. Hubs seems more and more convinced she's boning Not-Valorum.

I also wonder if there is any chance there is more depth to the husband, and is he possibly spying on her himself.
Or his suspicion of her and Not-Valorum accidentally exposes her actions on behalf of the rebels.

If I heard right, the banker is implying he may have problems hiding the fact that she was pulling those funds. Then when he asked how much it was, she said 400,000 which seemed to be a large number to him.

Unless I misinterpreted that exchange.

this show is so good
The Porkchop Express
it would be really ironic if Mon's husband was actually working with the Rebellion and didn't realize she was too.

Or that the daughter was so frazzled because she had just overheard her dad reporting to an ISB about her mom.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
bobinator
AG
I've been thinking that the husband is going to be onto her and share that deep down he also believes in the cause, but that he doesn't want their daughter put at risk and more or less gives her an ultimatum to either quit doing what she's doing or he's going to leave with the daughter.
Average Joe
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Wow. They finally made the Empire into a bureaucratic cruel hell. You get real glimpses of that in Rebels and just the suggestion of it everywhere else. Here you see it full frontal. The Emperor isn't what makes the Empire bad. It's the day to day grunts. The ISB. The prison guards in the labor camp. The Lieutenant who exudes cruelty.

You said it in much better words, but this is on point with a comment I made after the first couple episodes.

I've been waiting years for a show to portray the Empire like this. It's only been the Sith leading around a bunch of stolen-as-kids stormtroopers until now. This show has given life and depth to the Empire that really shows how it's not just an army to be defeated, but is powered by regular, everyday people that could be your neighbor.

The world building in 8 episodes has been nothing short of phenomenal.
bobinator
AG
Yeah, the empire has always been a not-so-thinly-veiled analogue to the Nazis but this show is really the first time that you've felt that malice at every level. The ground level empire has often been portrayed more as incompetent idiots comically chasing the good guys around, but in this show you feel that "power to do bad things" sense.

Just brilliantly done so far.
StinkyPinky
AG
bobinator said:

Yeah, the empire has always been a not-so-thinly-veiled analogue to the Nazis but this show is really the first time that you've felt that malice at every level. The ground level empire has often been portrayed more as incompetent idiots comically chasing the good guys around, but in this show you feel that "power to do bad things" sense.

Just brilliantly done so far.
Yuo touched on something here. I think the empire for the most part are portrayed in a satirical bad guy way. Except for Darth Vader, Darth Maul, and Kylo Ren who are portrayed as sinister and intimidating. The rest of them have a bit of a comic value and clumsy (perhaps intentionally for kids). But as said before, this show is much more dark and aimed at adults and the Empire feels real, a threat, intimidating, and disturbing. No satire involved at all which adds to the depth and complexity.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.