*** STAR WARS: ANDOR *** (Disney+)

183,846 Views | 1964 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by jeffk
twilly
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Solid retort!
cbr
AG
bottom line, because you cant have heroes in a computer world.

life sucks with instant communications all controlled by monopolized masters, like the real world.

life was better before cell phones and the internet, and it's not debatable if you lived it.

for now, its fine, the end game hasnt hit, so i guess everyone can stream their videos, and play on facebook and get info and all that, but if the powers that be like an 'empire' dont want you to be able to communicate, you won't be able to.

if they dont want you to be able to travel, you wont be able to

if they dont want you to have wealth and spend it, you wont be able to.

much more fun to have boxes full of gold credits to steal, and be able to pop out of light speed and raid the payroll and pop back in.

TCTTS
AG
So life was better before the digital age, but also comparable to a miserable existence ruled by a ruthless Empire?
FL_Ag1998
AG
It's Friday, dude, ease up on the doom and gloom for one day and you'll see that at least 50% of your post just isn't true. And I'm 46, so yeah, I've lived pre- and post-internet.

For instance, instant communication across the globe is fantastic. There are pitfalls to it, yes, especially the way that social media is currently harnessing the technology. I personally don't use Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc and think they all need revamping. Remember though, we're still in the infancy of the internet age. There's so many wrinkles that will be ironed out. But my mom in Texas getting to instantly see and chat online with her grandson in Florida, yes, is much better than the Pony Express or a party telephone line. No question.

And yes, our country and the world have experienced troubling times before. The fall of the Roman Empire; WWI; WWII; the American Revolution; the French Revolution; the American Civil War; the Civil Rights movement; the late 70's. Its survived and it will continue to. History is cyclical simply because of human nature. We're simply reliving the late 70's. The new 80's will be here soon enough and we'll all be wearing pastels, listening to synth rock/pop, and snorting massive amounts of coke. It'll be cool.

But enough thread derailing. Yes, the idea of hard currency in Star Wars is ridiculous, as is the idea that every single piece wouldn't have tracking codes associated with it. As soon as the Rebels used one single "dollar" of those stolen credits the Empire should get an alert right away. Lol, God, sometimes I really hate how this board can ruin some things. This board gets a great new show and we immediately turn into Lenny from Of Mice and Men.
cbr
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

It's Friday, dude, ease up on the doom and gloom for one day and you'll see that at least 50% of your post just isn't true. And I'm 46, so yeah, I've lived pre- and post-internet.

For instance, instant communication across the globe is fantastic. There are pitfalls to it, yes, especially the way that social media is currently harnessing the technology. I personally don't use Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc and think they all need revamping. Remember though, we're still in the infancy of the internet age. There's so many wrinkles that will be ironed out. But my mom in Texas getting to instantly see and chat online with her grandson in Florida, yes, is much better than the Pony Express or a party telephone line. No question.

And yes, our country and the world have experienced troubling times before. The fall of the Roman Empire; WWI; WWII; the American Revolution; the French Revolution; the American Civil War; the Civil Rights movement; the late 70's. Its survived and it will continue to. History is cyclical simply because of human nature. We're simply reliving the late 70's. The new 80's will be here soon enough and we'll all be wearing pastels, listening to synth rock/pop, and snorting massive amounts of coke. It'll be cool.

But enough thread derailing. Yes, the idea of hard currency in Star Wars is ridiculous, as is the idea that every single piece wouldn't have tracking codes associated with it. As soon as the Rebels used one single "dollar" of those stolen credits the Empire should get an alert right away. Lol, God, sometimes I really hate how this board can ruin some things. This board gets a great new show and we immediately turn into Lenny from Of Mice and Men.

wtf are you people talking about? you guys said 'why isnt this all digital, and no cell phones' blah blah blah,

i just answered the question.

a hacker at a desk doesnt make for a very good movie.

and frankly, if there were cell phones and internet connectivity, it would have been monopolized by the empire.

no need for a death star.

no use for x wings.

no heists.

that's just a fact. that would suck for story telling, so that's why star wars has people hauling around crates of money and stuff.

cbr
AG
TCTTS said:

So life was better before the digital age, but also comparable to a miserable existence ruled by a ruthless Empire?
quite the logic fail
The Porkchop Express
Galactic citizen uses holonet to instantly tell large group how much better life was before the holonet.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

bottom line, because you cant have heroes in a computer world.

FL_Ag1998
AG
cbr said:

FL_Ag1998 said:

wtf are you people talking about? you guys said 'why isnt this all digital, and no cell phones' blah blah blah,

i just answered the question.

a hacker at a desk doesnt make for a very good movie.

and frankly, if there were cell phones and internet connectivity, it would have been monopolized by the empire.

no need for a death star.

no use for x wings.

no heists.

that's just a fact. that would suck for story telling, so that's why star wars has people hauling around crates of money and stuff.

Ok, you're legit off you're rocker. People IRL must have a lot of fun trying to converse with you.
FL_Ag1998
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Galactic citizen uses holonet to instantly tell large group how much better life was before the holonet.
MaroonStain
AG
Is this series worth watching?
powerbelly
AG
MaroonStain said:

Yes
MaroonStain
AG
powerbelly said:

MaroonStain said:

Yes

Thank you. I can't figure out what the last 2 pages are about so figured I would ask.
powerbelly
AG
MaroonStain said:

powerbelly said:

MaroonStain said:

Yes

Thank you. I can't figure out what the last 2 pages are about so figured I would ask.

IMO this might be the best live action star wars since the OT.
TCTTS
AG
I would agree.
Apache
AG
Sorry for the derail y'all! Can't wait for next Wednesday!!
jokershady
AG
I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!!

In just 5 episodes of dialogue for this one season, we've WAY out performed the likes of:

"I hate sand."
"But mah power converters dad! OmG!"
"I call it something-negotiations….whatever I'm hot"
"Love has blinded me so hard"

Everything from the training/preparation for the heist….to the failed cop dude and his mom….even Mon Mothma was all amazingly done.

Little takeaways from me….

Loved the little comment Mon made near the end when the husband asked about this new project of hers that he hadn't heard of, and her reply, "You wouldn't be interested, it's charitable." Nice.

Loved they got the secret out from Andor and why he's there.

They seemed to focus on what appeared to be an imperial ship flying away middle on in the episode and earlier they mention an engineer from Couriscant….both of these incidents HAVE to be referencing Gaylin Erso so that was cool.

But honestly….the deepest part of the whole episode took place at the campfire before they leave….they are all taking a drink and you hear them say, "To the Rebellion." Pretty sure this is the first time in this show the characters have used "Rebellion" as a noun and at that moment we were seeing the actual birth of the rebellion….a rag tag group held together by spit and glue trying to pull off an insane task against immeasurable odds…..man that was a cool little moment!

We all know crap is about to hit the fan….once this heist goes down I'm expecting:

1. Mean white imperial chick is gonna get her "I told you so" moment and get permission to go ballistic
2. Her counter is gonna get shafted not sure how much more we'll see him
3. Some good guys gonna die
4. Something is going to tie Andor to being there and all his friends on Ferix are going to suffer for it…
5. More flashbacks in the episode right after this one

Man….let's go!!!!
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, you're almost assuredly right about all of those, but 1 and 4 would really resonate. 1 could be fun, but 4 could be heartbreaking.
jokershady
AG
Dark show man I can see it happening….and if they go that route it'll be interesting to see if word of it gets back to the scorned cop and starts to give him a different view of the empire….

Also just had this thought…..

What if it's NOT Gaylin Erso arriving as the engineer from Couriscant….but rather another Death Star engineer….AND this new character gets killed in the heist stalling the work on the Death Star…..

To quote Krennick from the beginning of rogue one: "The work has stalled, I need you back."
Faustus
Fingers crossed Uncle Harlan doesn't turn out to be Luthen/Skarsgard.
Average Joe
AG
"Everyone's fighting their own rebellion."

What a fantastic line that very simply describes a significant portion of the characters in the Star Wars universe.
Average Joe
AG
jokershady said:

Dark show man I can see it happening….and if they go that route it'll be interesting to see if word of it gets back to the scorned cop and starts to give him a different view of the empire….

What if it's NOT Gaylin Erso arriving as the engineer from Couriscant….but rather another Death Star engineer….AND this new character gets killed in the heist stalling the work on the Death Star…..

To quote Krennick from the beginning of rogue one: "The work has stalled, I need you back."
Galen Erso was also an expert on kyber crystals. Which is what is used as part of the Death Star's laser.

Like the one Andor has around his neck.

Edit: Also, Erso was the original engineer (in the Disney universe). The project stalled because he left and went into hiding. The beginning of Rogue One is him getting brought back to the project.
gougler08
AG
That'd be a pretty big reveal/secret if Erso is in this, especially if its Mikkelsen that plays him
jokershady
AG
Average Joe said:

jokershady said:

Galen Erso was also an expert on kyber crystals. Which is what is used as part of the Death Star's laser.

Like the one Andor has around his neck.

Edit: Also, Erso was the original engineer (in the Disney universe). The project stalled because he left and went into hiding. The beginning of Rogue One is him getting brought back to the project.

Yup that's correct. I'm just speculating that they were trying to get it done without him and assuming this engineer from Couriscant is on site during this heist, speculating that this could be the final nail for the empire to try and find Erso and bring him back.

The more I think about it the more sense it makes cause it's stated it's been years (though exactly how many is vague) at the beginning of rogue one since Erso has helped and that they must've been looking for him for a good while.
The Porkchop Express
I think they will intentionally shy away from anything Erso related because in Rogue One, it was like the Death Star itself was totally out of left field. They knew there was a construction project, but what it's purpose was or who was involved really threw them off IIRC. Don't need Cassian bumping into Galen or Krennic or anyone related out in the boondocks of space.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
ABATTBQ11
AG
Erso doesn't measure sense because then Cassian would have known him in Rogue 1.
Engine10
AG
Apache said:

Ok. But to me an Empire than has faster than light travel, Death Stars and robots could do a better job of securing money than they apparently do. Why no wireless transfer?
Just a minor nitpick, I love the show.

I got $5 says the payroll is in boxes just like Han's reward. Honestly can't wait for tomorrow, this is gonna be a blast.
The Porkchop Express
I started my super fan on Rebels today in anticipation of Ahsoka next year, since I imagine at least some of the players are going to be in it. The first line out of Agent Kallus is close to exactly what Denise Gough's character says in a recent episode of Andor about the Imperial Security Bureau looking for patterns that suggest organized pockets of Rebellion.

Pretty neat to have that tie together. She's already loving Sabine and Chopper. Although when Kanan lit up that pencil-thin lightsaber to fight the stormtroopers she threw her tablet out of the window of the car and screamed WHY GOD WHY?
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
gougler08
AG
Engine10 said:

Apache said:

Ok. But to me an Empire than has faster than light travel, Death Stars and robots could do a better job of securing money than they apparently do. Why no wireless transfer?
Just a minor nitpick, I love the show.

I got $5 says the payroll is in boxes just like Han's reward. Honestly can't wait for tomorrow, this is gonna be a blast.

Didn't they show the payroll at the end of the last episode? It's in fancy boxes now as I guess the Empire can afford the nice things unlike the Rebels
The Porkchop Express
Yeah you very clearly see them at the base.
MY post breakdown:
33% Star Wars
33% Astros
33% Making myself laugh
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hyped for next episode.
AgLaw02
AG
jokershady said:

We all know crap is about to hit the fan….once this heist goes down I'm expecting:

1. Mean white imperial chick is gonna get her "I told you so" moment and get permission to go ballistic
2. Her counter is gonna get shafted not sure how much more we'll see him
3. Some good guys gonna die
4. Something is going to tie Andor to being there and all his friends on Ferix are going to suffer for it…
5. More flashbacks in the episode right after this one

Man….let's go!!!!

Ooh. If they go after Cassian's friends and family (theory #4 above), that could tip him from 1-time mercenary to hardcore rebellion fighter.
Urban Ag
AG
I've enjoyed it so far but it does not *YET* have the heart of Rogue One. Not even close. I like Diego Garcia but he humanized his character by the third act of R1. He did not in Narcos Mexico. He's a deek. And thus far he is a deek in Andor. He's an irritating character. Without K2SO to back him up comedically he is falling short.

Show has a ton of potential but I am not there yet. I may have Obi Wan hangover though I admit. The love interest may possibly be the most beautiful women in Hollywood right now, I mean damn son. It's a technically competent show and exactly what I have stated I love the most about Star Wars (gritty, dark, no childish BS). But..............it needs to deliver on attachment to the characters. It may, but it's not even close yet. Even with the bad guys. We don't even have a Director Krennic yet to love and hate. Really needs a power player bad guy the way Mendelsohn nailed that role so perfectly.

I also find the "outsourcing" to dweeb Paul Blart security guards irritating. This is the Empire. I know you're stretched thin but this many episodes in roll some white armor, miss a lot of easy shots, but look great doing it. LOL.

TCTTS
AG
Pretty sure I disagree with every single one of your critiques. Quite strongly, in fact.
AgLaw02
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty sure I disagree with every single one of your critiques. Quite strongly, in fact.
Agreed. It's like I 100% disagree with every word.

Did the reference to the Obiwan hangover mean Kenobi is the gold standard Andor is being compared to? If so… I just really disagree with all of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.