***** The Box Office Thread *****

73,595 Views | 1084 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Brian Earl Spilner
The Porkchop Express
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Putting this so I can stop clogging up the Maverick thread. Watching the box office #s is one of my favorite things, although I'm much more partial to domestic than worldwide, because America is the best.

Been charting Maverick's flight (ha) for a while now. It is up to $604 million through Wednesday. It will surpass Incredibles 2 on Friday for 11th all-time ($608 million). #10 all-time is The Last Jedi at $620 million, and Avengers is #9 at $623 million.

Jurassic World Dominion will pass the Batman in a couple of weeks for #3 in 2022.

The MInions movie is really going strong at $231 million through just under 2 weeks. The first Minions (2015) made $336 million domestic. Only Despicable Me 2 (2013) made more than that, $368m.

Thor has made $178 million in 6 days. By comparison, Dr. Strange 2 was at $222m through 6 days and is settling in around $411 million for its whole run.

And then there's Lightyear, which Disney has already started abandoning ship on. It made $50 million that first 3-day weekend and has added just $63 million more in the 24 days since. Disney dropped its # of theaters by 455 after just 2 weeks, and dropped it by a staggering 1,710 more (45%) on July 8. By comparison, Maverick is still in 3,513 theaters as of today and it's been out since May 27. Lightyear is down to 2,090.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
C@LAg
and summer has essentially blown its load at this point. no more blockbusters until the fall.
The Porkchop Express
Maverick moved to 11th all-time on Friday, up to $609 million. It was 4th on the day, with another $3.4 million into the coffers. Thor was first at $13.8 million, getting it past $200 million in just 8 days.

Elvis became the 11th movie to hit $100 million this year, a great sign for the overall box office. 14 movies made it to $100 million last year, and we've barely hit the halfway mark of 2022. Only two movies made it to $100 million before the pandemic in 2020, after 31 had reached it in 2019.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Used to be obsessed with box office as a teenager. Still miss the original Box Office Mojo. Absolutely hate the current site and it basically killed my interest in following it.
The Porkchop Express
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Used to be obsessed with box office as a teenager. Still miss the original Box Office Mojo. Absolutely hate the current site and it basically killed my interest in following it.
Genuinely curious, what's wrong with it? What did they change?
The Porkchop Express
Weekend estimates are in - Thor and Minions (what a crossover!) tore it up

Thor made $46 million, Minions $26 million, newcomer Where the Crawdads Sing (sounds like a George Strait song) debuted with $17 million, and by God, Maverick made another $12 million.

Maverick is unofficially up to $617,962,568, leaving it about $2.2 million short of The Last Jedi for 10th all time.
If you are curious about inflation, the original Top Gun made $176 million in 1986 domestically, which would be $475.8 million in today's money.

Jurassic World Dominion is up to $359.7 million and should pass The Batman for third in a couple of weeks. It will finish third of three in the current Jurassic World set, and just barely passed the original JP recently, but inflation wise, that movie blows it away. Jurassic Park's $357 million in 1993 would be equivalent to $732 million today.

Factoring in all Marvel movies, which the X-Men are now a part of, Dr. Strange 2 is at 8th with $411 million, just ahead of Iron Man 3 and Civil War, and slightly behind all-time TexAgs board favorite Captain Marvel ($426.8 million).

Thor L&T is 27th at $233 million through 9 days, and will pass a couple of X-mens as early as tomorrow. According to Box Office Mojo, looking at all movies created from Marvel Comics, here's a handy breakdown. This includes all Spidermans, modern-day Marvel, X-Men, Fantastic Four, Blade, etc.

54 made at least $100 million at the box office at the time they were release.
47 made at least $150 million
37 made at least $200 million
24 made at least $250 million
22 made at least $300 million
15 made at least $350 million
11 made at least $400 million
6 made at least $450 million
5 made at least $600 million
4 made at least $650 million
3 made at least $700 million
2 made at least $800 million
1 made at least $850 million

TCTTS
AG
Great idea for a thread. We needed something like this.
SJEAg
AG
Seems like a pretty bad 2nd week drop for Thor.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
helloimustbegoing said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Genuinely curious, what's wrong with it? What did they change?

It was very streamlined and straightforward before the current design, and it was incredibly easy to look up specific records for highest grossing movies (both adjusted and unadjusted), specific weekends and weekend drops, widest openings, comparing specific movies, movie franchises, etc.

A lot of that data/functionality is either no longer available, or not nearly as straightforward to do. I believe IMDb purchased the site, and made it far worse and more cumbersome.
TCTTS
AG
Considering Amazon owns IMDb, it's not surprising. Yet another thing Amazon touched that looks/functions like complete sh*t. I don't know why everything Amazon does has to look/operate like it's 2003.
sburg2007
The more I think about it, their video streaming interface sucks
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. It's the worst streaming app interface by far. They don't even use high quality poster/art images. It's all pixelated, none of the movement is animated, everything is weirdly organized/presented, etc. It just feels so ancient, and I don't understand why. For one of the most successful companies on the planet, about to release literally the most expensive television series ever made (LOTR), it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket to give their streaming app a new skin. Especially in light of the fact that all of their competitors' apps are miles better.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Considering Amazon owns IMDb, it's not surprising. Yet another thing Amazon touched that looks/functions like complete sh*t. I don't know why everything Amazon does has to look/operate like it's 2003.

Pretty sure you two just went into business together!
TCTTS
AG
As long as you gather/report the numbers.
sburg2007
And it just makes it hard to find content.
MaroonStain
AG
Maybe Amazon pay scales are dog s--t so everyone of their positions is low pay, high esteem "I work at Amazon"?
Counterpoint
AG
TCTTS said:

Exactly. It's the worst streaming app interface by far. They don't even use high quality poster/art images. It's all pixelated, none of the movement is animated, everything is weirdly organized/presented, etc. It just feels so ancient, and I don't understand why. For one of the most successful companies on the planet, about to release literally the most expensive television series ever made (LOTR), it wouldn't even be a drop in the bucket to give their streaming app a new skin. Especially in light of the fact that all of their competitors' apps are miles better.

Even HBO Max?? I'm not questioning it because I don't really use Amazon, but HBO Max sucks for me (love all their content though)!
TCTTS
AG
Speak of the devil…

sburg2007
NINE YEARS?!
Gig-Em2003
AG
Fun game if you like box office.

https://boxofficega.me/
The Porkchop Express
Maverick is now #10 all-time at the domestic box office, and will be #9 tomorrow.

It made an even $2 million on Tuesday to reach $622 million, moving it just past The Last Jedi. 2012's The Avengers is 9th at $623.3 million.

Once it gets past there, next up is Jurassic World at $653 million and Titanic at $659 million.

Pretty crazy that after all the death of movies predictions from the pandemic, the last 9 months have delivered 2 new entries into the top 10 of all time.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Gig-Em2003 said:

Fun game if you like box office.

https://boxofficega.me/

Nice, that is fun.

boxofficega.me
April 27, 2018

That stupid Amy Schumer movie really screwed me.
Scotch
AG
https://www.the-numbers.com/
Iowaggie
AG
Just curious, but how many movies have been released this summer compared to 2019 or the years before?

I don't know how one would measure "released" movies or what counts as a release, but it just seems like there are fewer options to choose from. Again, I don't know, but I would think more movies are going straight to streaming that may have been in theaters in the past, and coupled with the pandemic, it just feels like there are fewer movies to choose from in the theater.
TCTTS
AG
We're still in a pandemic hangover that will last the rest of the year in terms of the quantity of theatrical releases. While still an incredibly successful summer, there were definitely fewer movies released compared to summer 2019 and before. Studios simply didn't have enough content ready to go.

That said, 2023 will feel definitely normal again, as the calendar is already stuffed with a massive amount of releases, especially next summer. In fact, it might be one of the most packed summers we've ever seen, as these are just the highlights...

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
May 5, 2023

Fast X
May 19, 2023

The Little Mermaid
May 26, 2023

Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Part One
June 2, 2023

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts
June 9, 2023

The Flash
June 23, 2023

Untitled Indiana Jones 5
June 30, 2023

Insidious 5
July 7, 2023

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One
July 14, 2023

Barbie
July 21, 2023

Oppenheimer
July 21, 2023

The Marvels
July 28, 2023

Meg 2: The Trench
August 4, 2023

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
August 4, 2023

Blue Beetle
August 18, 2023
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
August 4, 2023

I was just thinking the other day, we really could use a 15th movie incarnation of the Ninja Turtles soon.
TajMaballer
AG
boxofficega.me
August 10, 1984

What a weekend at the movies!
The Collective
AG
Insidious 5? I guess I missed 3 & 4.
The Porkchop Express
Maverick passed Avengers by about $600,000 yesterday to move up to 9th all-time.

Thor was #1 for a 13th straight day, but Minions power of kids is starting to close that gap, much as Maverick did to Jurassic World after it's first couple of weeks out.

On Day 55, Maverick still made $1.7 million. According to the Numbers, that's the 2nd highest gross (non-adjusted) for Day 55 ever, trailing only Avatar's $1.8 million in February of 2010.

TCTTS
AG
That last stat is insanely impressive.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TCTTS said:

That last stat is insanely impressive.

That really is. I hear from people who are finally getting out to watch it in theaters now. That plus the repeat views I guess I keeping this thing going strong.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Also, what all did Avatar get Oscar nominated for? Does the staying power of this movie evoke any change y'all think in what it gets nominated for?
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Avatar got nominated for basically everything "below the line" that a film can be, plus screenplay, director and picture.

I'd say as of right now, Top Gun: Maverick will be in the mix for:

Sound mixing
Sound editing
Visual Effects
Editing
Original Song
Best Picture

It has a decent chance at:
Score
Screenplay
Cinematography

If the academy REALLY loves it, which isn't a long shot IMO, then I could see Cruise nagging Best Actor and it getting a Director nod as well. And I think if he gets nominated there would be no stoping Cruise from winning. Again, just my opinion.

I'd say the one nomination that feels out of reach for the movie is production design. If it gets that, then it's clear the Academy loves the movie and it may be the BP front runner lol.
The Porkchop Express
How's this for bizarre?

Lightyear opened with $50.6 million, up to just $117 million total. They dropped it to just 830 theaters as of July 22, and it responded with a weekend making fewer than $700,000.

11 years ago, Green Lantern opened on the exact same date (June 17) to $53 million and finished with $116 million. Lightyear is just about done on its box office run and should finish right around the exact same amount of money.

Nope won the weekend with $44 million, the director's best opener so far.

Maverick agaIn made $10 million to push it up to $635 million overall. If the # of theaters doesn't drop significantly, it's maybe 2 weeks away from being up to 7th all time. It's only $18 million behind Jurassic World and $24 million behind Titanic now.

Jurassic World will pass The Batman later this week, it's only $4 million behind it after Sunday.

Minions 2 will hit $300 million in a few days, while Thor is slowly making its way there at $276 million.

As expected, Elvis has left the building and passed Lightyear. $118 million is a nice number to get a lot of Oscar noms in a movie featuring a bunch of not very famous actors outside of Tom Hanks playing a really weird version of a really weird dude.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.