*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

276,990 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
She's the princess and heir. Obviously taxes pay for the whole shebang.

Do you even royal family?
LMCane
ChoppinDs40 said:

cbr said:

need some help -

wouldnt mind getting my wife started on GOT/HOD

but i really think got is the way to start.

she is not much into fantasy/sci fi at all, but i think the drama is interesting enough that she might watch it with me.

but i think both started really slowly.

poll - would you start a newbie on GOT? or HOD?

I personally think that though they both started slow, the way GOT brought the dragons along was INCREDIBLE.... and this show they dont look as well filmed in CGI and they are kind of taken for granted.

It's tough for people that aren't into fantasy/sci-fi because so much of it is "world-building". I've had buddies just completely walk away from GoT because they don't watch the "after the episode" to pick up on who's who, who did what here, why they did this, what house was that again?

There's A LOT of knowledge to gather and really grasp what's always going on... I have to hold my wife's hand still and we watched every episode of GoT as they aired lived.

BUT... if the pilot episode of GoT doesn't pull you in.. I don't know what will... WhiteWalkers, beheadings, incest banging and attempted murder of Bran. The Game of Thrones is set off because Bran caught Jamie banging Cersei... in episode ONE.

Anyways... GoT is still better of an "epic" than HotD. HotD definitely feels like a side-story even though it's very big. GoT is just an epic massive story with multiple stories and plotlines going on.

She's got to watch at least the first 3-4 episodes... then make sure she sees Baelor. Shiz gets real then.
well stated above on the advice for the wife.

GOT in my mind is so much superior to HotD in every aspect.

most humans aren't big nerds like all of you in here -

it was much easier to just follow a massive army crushing another massive army in GOT

than "oh that's the second cousin married to the presumed child of the first cousin's friend who just came back from six years in some other place we don't know!"
DannyDuberstein
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

FancyKetchup14 said:

side note: I thought the battle map of Westeros that lit up from below was super badass.

Yeah, Stannis didn't have the owner's manual and missed out on a great feature.

Seriously, lord of light lady probably could have lit it up with her cooch

"Anyone seen Melisandre? It's time for a meeting"
WestAustinAg
AG
LMCane said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

cbr said:

need some help -

she is not much into fantasy/sci fi at all, but i think the drama is interesting enough that she might watch it with me.

I personally think that though they both started slow, the way GOT brought the dragons along was INCREDIBLE.... and this show they dont look as well filmed in CGI and they are kind of taken for granted.

It's tough for people that aren't into fantasy/sci-fi because so much of it is "world-building". I've had buddies just completely walk away from GoT because they don't watch the "after the episode" to pick up on who's who, who did what here, why they did this, what house was that again?

There's A LOT of knowledge to gather and really grasp what's always going on... I have to hold my wife's hand still and we watched every episode of GoT as they aired lived.

BUT... if the pilot episode of GoT doesn't pull you in.. I don't know what will... WhiteWalkers, beheadings, incest banging and attempted murder of Bran. The Game of Thrones is set off because Bran caught Jamie banging Cersei... in episode ONE.

Anyways... GoT is still better of an "epic" than HotD. HotD definitely feels like a side-story even though it's very big. GoT is just an epic massive story with multiple stories and plotlines going on.

She's got to watch at least the first 3-4 episodes... then make sure she sees Baelor. Shiz gets real then.

it was much easier to just follow a massive army crushing another massive army in GOT

than "oh that's the second cousin married to the presumed child of the first cousin's friend who just came back from six years in some other place we don't know!"

Big army fights represented approximately one episode a year for each season. You're mid-remembering the whole thing.
bluefire579
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

cbr said:

need some help -

I imagine a part of the side story feeling is that besides the politics and infighting that make up a large portion of GoT, there's always that existential threat to the entire realm that lingers in the background. HotD doesn't have that bigger threat, it's all about the Targs and the politics surrounding a succession to the throne. Like you mention, it's big, but still not at the same level. Being a prequel probably doesn't help either, as we know exactly where things lie 200 years after all this is over.
Icecream_Ag
S
will25u said:

Grey t-shirt with the looch goatee knew what was coming
ChoppinDs40
AG
you mean like... Winter is coming?
ChoppinDs40
AG
WestAustinAg said:

LMCane said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

cbr said:

need some help -

Big army fights represented approximately one episode a year for each season. You're mid-remembering the whole thing.
agreed... by seasons 3-4... there's Dany doing her thing, John doing his thing at the wall, Stannis still pissed he wasn't named king because Joffrey is illegitimate... the whole Stark rebellion. What's going on with Theon and the Greyjoys?

Where's Arya? Jamie and Brianne...

Tyrion's character arc in itself is one of the best stories told in modern television. The dude kills his father while taking a dump with a crossbow for banging his hooker girlfriend... He then kills her as well.. flees the country to then become "a gift" to Dany as her hand.
PatAg
AG
LMCane said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

cbr said:

need some help -

We're nerds, but you are normal.
You don't come into this forum and constantly make insane posts
Counterpoint
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

will25u said:

Grey t-shirt with the looch goatee knew what was coming

Yeah, that guy definitely watched the leaked version from the HBO hack.
javajaws
AG
ChoppinDs40 said:

Tyrion's character arc in itself is one of the best stories told in modern television. The dude kills his father while taking a dump with a crossbow for banging his hooker girlfriend... He then kills her as well.. flees the country to then become "a gift" to Dany as her hand.

The only people who didn't like Tyrion were other dwarfs...because Peter Dinklage raised the bar too high.

Seriously though - if you scored GoT an 8...without Peter/Tyrion it would have been a 6.
Madmarttigan
AG
Finally watched the finale. This whole season has been a boring slog that moves too fast to become properly attached to characters before we jump ahead by years and then when it finally maybe is about to get good we are cut off.

Some serious blue balls. I do think that next season will be fun but this was a lot of years of history and political drama between characters I still don't have any attachment to.

Even the boy getting chomped by the dragon I have little emotion for. GoT was much better at getting you attached to characters for the emotional gut punch of losing them.

This show has better acting and dialogue, but that show some of you hate on Amazon was a lot more fun to watch.
The Porkchop Express
AG
LMCane said:

oragator said:

So if you break down what this war is largely about in the end, it's two women feeling their kids had been wronged. And anyone on the planet knows that's nit who you mess with.
let me just say, it's just terrific that tens of thousands will die horrible deaths, entire kingdoms wiped out/bankrupted..

because one part of the family wants to have a bigger castle.

and by the way... WHO IS PAYING FOR ALL THESE SOLDIERS AND CASTLES AND SERVANTS?!!

Raenyra says they have like 300 people with her - who pays the salaries for these people?! you never actually see massive farms and communities of citizens other than Kings Landing.
They don't get salaries, they get to live in a castle and be safe from the threats of the real world.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
ChoppinDs40
AG
correctamundo.

It's like Downton Abbey... sorta. They get paid but very little. Working for the royals is WAY better than living in fleabottom as a *****, working as a blacksmith, in a field, hunting, or whatever else.
oragator
I will make the same comparison I made after one or 2 episodes.
This is BCS to Breaking Bad to this point. It's a smaller, more focused character study of the same universe that fills in background. It's not for everyone but those that like detail, Easter eggs, back story etc will enjoy it. And as I posted on the ratings it's a lot of people.

Having said that, season 2 is supposedly more about action and humor according to the creators. So it will pick up for folks that want more of that stuff.
TCTTS
AG
In wake of the finale, I keep seeing this season referred to as the "prologue," and that feels right to me. They couldn't just start with season two/the dance (as it would have basically just been a repeat of GoT, with a void/throne to fill at the outset). And they couldn't do a two-season "prologue" either. So they split the difference, and while not ideal, I at least understand the decision making now. Given the circumstances, this season was about as good as it possibly could have been, IMO, one that only got better as it went along.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

In wake of the finale, I keep seeing this season referred to as the "prologue," and that feels right to me. They couldn't just start with season two/the dance (as it would have basically just been a repeat of GoT, with a void/throne to fill at the outset). And they couldn't do a two-season "prologue" either. So they split the difference, and while not ideal, I at least understand the decision making now. Given the circumstances, this season was about as good as it possibly could have been, IMO, one that only got better as it went along.
I think one or maybe two extra episodes would have helped a lot, but I suspect they weren't sure the viewing public would stick with it long enough for the payoff and get invested.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CondensedFogAggie
All in all I thought the series did a marvelous job bringing this part of Westeros history to life.

GRRM's description of these events are pretty bare bones, very little dialogue, "X did a b c d, and Y did e f g h" sort of vibes. Very two dimensional and honestly very haphazard and confusing sometimes. I was pretty sceptical HBO could bring life and intrigue to the drama in a way we could understand and emphasize with.

And yet I feel they did it for the most part. Almost all characters in the show seem unique, and somewhat consistent. WHY they act they way they do, their motivations seem to add up. Basically it isn't super dumb.

Yes it covered a lot of time, but that addressed how Alicent and Rhaenyra were close and tried for peace til the end, the motivations on each side, why the kids hate each other, why war was inevitable pretty much as soon as Viserys announced his wedding to Alicent.

There's a lot more kinda confusing twists and turns coming up Game of Thrones style, but I feel pretty confident HBO can reasonably pull it off.
tk for tu juan
Vhagar's history, you can watch the video to 10:40 without spoilers. after that it goes beyond what just happened in the S1 finale

will25u
Looking like HBO might have canceled work on 2 prequels. Startling Inc. works with both HBO and GRRM. They used to have 3 prequels on their page. Now it is down to 1.

Nymeria
Dunk & Egg
Sea Snake

Nymeria and Sea Snake prequels are no longer there. But of course we can take it with a grain of salt until HBO says something.
StinkyPinky
AG
I thought they did a great job of setting up the story and establishing characters. I think the events to come will be where we learn to love or hate certain characters. I think that is left intentionally ambiguous during this prologue period. But during this time in addition to setting the stage, they were able to humanize the characters and create some solid depth and motivation. I always appreciate this level of investment into complex characters vs all action sequences.
jackie childs
TCTTS said:

i guess that makes sense. they just crammed so much content into S1 that it was always going to feel rushed and you're always going to be left wanting more backstory and development. having not read the books, i just have to assume that they're giving us all that we need to follow the story going forward.

the performances of the main cast have been great across the board and the dragons look so good compared to GoT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

I've been afraid to watch this for fear of spoilers. By chance has anyone seen it and can confirm if it's safe to watch?
M.C. Swag
AG
It was released 5 years ago, so whatever 'spoilers' exist are strictly limited to whatever is discussed within the GoT books
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh, good catch. Thanks.
The Porkchop Express
AG

Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Delete this bull****,
M.C. Swag
AG
I can't tell if you're trolling or not because I'm afraid to click on any of those black boxes. Lol like, why would you reply to him with detailed spoilers to a person looking to avoid spoilers? This seems like a post meant for the book reader thread (if you're not trolling, if you are, bravo!)
The Porkchop Express
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

Delete this bull****,
It's a joke. There are zero spoilers. All made up. All of the things that are spoilered just say "spoiler'. But I'll take it down so you don't have to get a clean diaper.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Delete this bull****,
It's a joke. There are zero spoilers. All made up. All of the things that are spoilered just say "spoiler'. But I'll take it down so you don't have to get a clean diaper.

**** off
beagle2009
AG

Delete this bull****,

Tell me you're a troll without telling me you're a troll.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
As someone who hasn't read the book and doesn't intend to, I've pretty much accepted that at some point that I'm going to find out the ending of this show well in advance of when the series finale is.

Season 2 is 18 months away. Probably looking at a minimum of 5 years of trying to avoid aholes ruin this for everyone as the show (hopefully) continues to get bigger and bigger.
GreasenUSA
AG

Delete this bull****,
I know this is hard for you to understand, since you're constantly sniping about it, but most people would prefer to not be spoiled.

We get it, you have read the books. We acknowledge your supremacy. Now go away.
The Porkchop Express
AG
beagle2009 said:

Delete this bull****,

Tell me you're a troll without telling me you're a troll.
As a beagle owner, that cuts deep.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.