*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,133 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is this also the first time we've seen the riders lose control of their dragons? I would be interested to know from the readers if Arrax just went after Vhagar like that, in the book. Luke and Arrax beautifully outmanuevered Aemon and Vhagar, but Arrax just said, "**** it," and went up to sucker punch Vhagar.

Another question for book readers (i'm too afraid to google any of this because I don't want spoilers): What level of intelligence do the dragons of Game of Thrones have? Are they dog level? Dolphin level? Human level? Greater than human?

Most dragon mythology you get from fantasy is at least human level intelligence, which would make that move by Arrax to be completely idiotic.
emando2000
AG
Love the season!

Hate that we have to wait till 2024 for the next.
CondensedFogAggie
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Daemon choking his wife was pretty weird and out of nowhere. Not sure what the point of that was other than just to show he's kind of unhinged I guess.
The man murdered his previous wife, the one from the Vale, in cold blood.

I always watched his redemption arc the past few seasons with a bit of dubiousness.
CondensedFogAggie
gggmann said:

I really like what they did with Aemond with the look on his face as he's realizing the consequences of what just happened. Looks like he might be a more complex character than just an unhinged kinslayer.
Best part about the episode for me. I vaguely remember the books making him out to be heartless, and it sure seemed that way the past couple of episodes. But looks like he was just an angry ******* upset over his eye, understandably, not actually a bloodless kinslayer.

Tragic that neither Targaryen wanted to actually harm the other, but **** happened and now everyone on the continent is going to suffer.
CondensedFogAggie
tk for tu juan
Watching the repeat on HBO, there is a brief moment where Otto looks like he is thinking he made a mistake (just after she halts the fight). He knows at that moment that she is better for the realm than the walking ****-up Aegon
CondensedFogAggie
DannyDuberstein said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Well you knew one of the two kids was a goner.

Anyone know what dragon that was Daemon was singing to?

Vermithor

I watch with captioning on

Also the second largest dragon after Vhagar. Which is prob why Daemon was targeting it.
mernaggie12
AG
How does that work since he already has a dragon? Is this a dragon mistress or he's setting up a blind date for one of hits kids?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CondensedFogAggie
mernaggie12 said:

How does that work since he already has a dragon? Is this a dragon mistress or he's setting up a blind date for one of hits kids?
Probably the latter. Vermithor used to have a Targ rider, before the rider passed away. Ever since he's been roaming wild. So Daemon is probably just checking if Vermithor is open to having a rider again.
PatAg
AG
I wonder how Daemon learned? Did the greens just send a raven? No chance anyone could have observed it, other than the Baratheons new they both left
canadiaggie
AG
PatAg said:

I wonder how Daemon learned? Did the greens just send a raven? No chance anyone could have observed it, other than the Baratheons new they both left
I think they stated that Daemon has spies in the city guard, so I guess he could have learned pretty quickly once Aemond got back to King's Landing.
deer corn
Three dragons left Dragonstone. Right?
MonkeyKnifeFighter
C@LAg
Woohoo! Approx only 18 ish months until Season 2!
LB12Diamond
AG
When they all left on their dragons, the first thing I thought is that one is really small to be riding.
zap
AG
Personally, I was yelling at the screen pretty early. "Daemon is right! Go to war!"
canadiaggie
AG
LB12Diamond said:

When they all left on their dragons, the first thing I thought is that one is really small to be riding.

Luke on his dragon seemed like it was out of How to Train Your Dragon lol
rynning
AG
Yes, I jumped when Vermithor appeared.
BCG Disciple
AG
I'm having a hard time understanding why Daemon was not more prepared for this moment. He knew it was coming. Especially after the call to court and all of the BS power moves he was witnessing unfold. At least an advisor or someone more politically astute.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The person who has to be the most pissed at Aemond is Rhaena. She's now had her dragon and her betrothed husband taken from her by him.
BenFiasco14
AG
Great finale, great show. Was skeptical after the crap D&D took on everyone in GOT, but this was awesome.

Man, that Baratheon guy was an ahole. So much for a warm welcome.

Waiting 18 months is going to suck. Hbo milks that for all it's worth. Insane the breaks shows take now. Back in my day I remember 30 episode seasons of shows, full length episodes.

We've gone soft
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
CoppellAg93
AG
Great last episode - will be a long wait until 2024 for Season 2.

Knew Lucerys was in trouble when Ryaenrya told he he'd be welcomed by Borros, but did not expect Aemond to be the culprit.

My wife and I had just finished our dinner when the birthing scene happened. That has to have been one of the most (if not the most) graphic and disturbing birthing scenes ever in television. Rhaenyra just reached up in there and pulled the baby out. Couldn't decide if I was totally grossed out or totally impressed with how tough she was. That scene will be tough to forget anytime soon.
M.C. Swag
AG
The one thing I didn't understand was the choice to send Luke to Storms' End. Like, when Rhaenyra is trying to secure support from the Starks and the Baratheons, someone outright says "there's never been a Stark who didn't uphold their oath" (or something like that). So why not send the youngest prince (Luke) to the Starks? Their honor is without question whereas the Baratheons are explicitly proud/tempermental and their support would require the most convincing. It would make sense to send Jace to Storms End since he is the oldest and let Luke go to Winterfell.

That was one decision i didn't quite understand. Either way, it wouldn't have mattered since whoever went to Storm's End was gonna be Vhagar food.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Lords of Westeros suck. Oaths apparently don't mean much to these people.

Looking forward to seeing the Starks uphold their oaths and supporting the Blacks. Also looking forward to seeing Winterfell again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I thought the same, but I figured maybe it's because Storm's End was was the shortest flight from Dragonstone and she figured it would be the quickest and least dangerous flight?
M.C. Swag
AG
And ya, I'm good with traumatic birth scenes. I don't understand the point of that last one. Plot wise it had no impact and it never got acknowledged the rest of the episode. Beyond that, it's truly disturbing for any parent to watch something that visceral. Like, after 3 (4?) traumatic births THIS SEASON, whatever point the showrunners/GRRM was trying to make, was already well received. It almost ruined the whole episode for me and my wife (who have a 8 month old).
canadiaggie
AG
M.C. Swag said:

The one thing I didn't understand was the choice to send Luke to Storms' End. Like, when Rhaenyra is trying to secure support from the Starks and the Baratheons, someone outright says "there's never been a Stark who didn't uphold their oath" (or something like that). So why not send the youngest prince (Luke) to the Starks? Their honor is without question whereas the Baratheons are explicitly proud/tempermental and their support would require the most convincing. It would make sense to send Jace to Storms End since he is the oldest and let Luke go to Winterfell.

That was one decision i didn't quite understand. Either way, it wouldn't have mattered since whoever went to Storm's End was gonna be Vhagar food.

Luke is theoretically kin to Borros Baratheon as Borros is Rhaenys' cousin and Luke is Rhaenys' "grandson."

Also, maybe Luke's dragon couldn't handle the flight to Winterfell - Storm's End is stated as being much closer.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Rhaenyra expecting a "warm welcome" was a dead giveaway. I knew he was done.
M.C. Swag
AG
canadiaggie said:

M.C. Swag said:

Luke is theoretically kin to Borros Baratheon as Borros is Rhaenys' cousin and Luke is Rhaenys' "grandson."

Also, maybe Luke's dragon couldn't handle the flight to Winterfell - Storm's End is stated as being much closer.
lol so is Jace.

And ya Storm's end being closer is what Brian already said which makes the only sound reason.
Drake aTm
AG
M.C. Swag said:

And ya, I'm good with traumatic birth scenes. I don't understand the point of that last one. Plot wise it had no impact and it never got acknowledged the rest of the episode. Beyond that, it's truly disturbing for any parent to watch something that visceral. Like, after 3 (4?) traumatic births THIS SEASON, whatever point the showrunners/GRRM was trying to make, was already well received. It almost ruined the whole episode for me and my wife (who have a 8 month old).
we have the same opinion.

was the point, "incest=bad?" or the overwhelming bad news caused complications?
Lathspell
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

The person who has to be the most pissed at Aemond is Rhaena. She's now had her dragon and her betrothed husband taken from her by him.
They haven't spent much time developing her, but I would love a character vengeance arc where she bonds with Vermithor and ultimately defeats Aemond and kills Vhagar.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Went too far with the birth scene, but it did have plot/character development implications. The stress and shock caused by the Aegon news could be blamed for it. But she still kept a level head (pardon the pun).

They already have 2 kids, so I don't think there is any incest angle
M.C. Swag
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Went too far with the birth scene, but it did have plot implications. The stress and shock caused by the Aegon news could be blamed for it. But she still kept a level head (pardon the pun).
So what exactly changed though? Yes, obviously she had stress induced labor (that was what the show made it appear), but how would the episode have played any differently if Rhaenyra was never pregnant at all? or simply lost the child off screen? They never even gave the kid a name. Daemon never even acknowledged it. No one acknowledged it. It didn't change a single course of action for any of the characters.

It was gratuitous to the point of farcical when considered with the amount of birth scenes in this single season.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
M.C. Swag said:

DannyDuberstein said:

Went too far with the birth scene, but it did have plot implications. The stress and shock caused by the Aegon news could be blamed for it. But she still kept a level head (pardon the pun).
So what exactly changed though? Yes, obviously she had stress induced labor (that was what the show made it appear), but how would the episode have played any differently if Rhaenyra was never pregnant at all? or simply lost the child off screen? They never even gave the kid a name. Daemon never even acknowledged it. No one acknowledged it. It didn't change a single course of action for any of the characters.

It was gratuitous to the point of farcical when considered with the amount of birth scenes in this single season.

I thought they mentioned on the Kings deathbed that it was going to named Viserys. Probably some kind of symbolism in that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.