*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,296 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Continues to be spot on.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
He had real Augie Garrido vibes this episode.
The Porkchop Express
AG
It's great how similarly shot that scene was to the episode of Season 1 of GoT where Arya and Nymeria **** up Joffrey and throw his sword in the river (not sure if that happened in the show). But regardless, the scene happens outside of King's Landing where the King is a guest, not in his own comforts, and thus things get even more chaotic and you've got 50-100 onlookers peering on to see the show, whereas in KL - beyond the fact that it probably never would have happened anyways - there's a real set protocol where all the servants and staff and guards are pushing out the riff-raff. Too much happened at once for them the Targs to really think about what they were doing at Driftmark.

And 2 points for King Viserys for having bigger balls than Robert Baratheon and put the queen in her place. And also 2 points to Otto for evolving in his plotting and staying 100% silent in that situation, letting the chips fall where they may without him getting accused of anything.

We had to rewind to rewatch Christon Cole's face when the queen demands he get "an eye for an eye." He looks like the guy who's been casually hooking up with a girl and suddenly sees her in the middle of the bar loudly calling him her boyfriend.

EDIT to add - last night was the first time I felt the older casting of Rhaenyra was a big miss. The chemistry between the younger actress and Matt Smith was undeniable and made the attraction a lot more believable. To only get 1 scene together with the older actress before they're knocking it out did not capture that chemistry. No fault on the actors, just hard to do.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Stive
AG
option short side said:

combat wombat said:

The king really needs to get Alicent in check.
and Christon Cole. I get he is the queen's protector but his first allegiance is to the King

How was his first allegiance not to the king last night (wondering if I missed something)? He told the queen he was her protector when she ordered him to take the kid's eye. That was out of his role of responsibilities and he told her .
Icecream_Ag
S
Stive said:

option short side said:

combat wombat said:

and Christon Cole. I get he is the queen's protector but his first allegiance is to the King

How was his first allegiance not to the king last night (wondering if I missed something)? He told the queen he was her protector when she ordered him to take the kid's eye. That was out of his role of responsibilities and he told her .
iirc he looked to the guard commander who gave him a "WTF" look before he said that.
easttexasaggie04
AG
I think the Sea Snake and the old ass dragon are my favorite characters in this show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I may hate Alicent but Olivia Cooke has that Emmy nom locked up for next year imo.
oragator
Rhea!
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I may hate Alicent but Olivia Cooke has that Emmy nom locked up for next year imo.
I hope not. I don't care for her acting or maybe just the way they wrote her character.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah hoping Rhea wins it. Overdue.
AgsMnn
AG
The dagger that Alicent used and dropped, is that the dagger they tried to kill Bran with?
Stive
AG
AgsMnn said:

The dagger that Alicent used and dropped, is that the dagger they tried to kill Bran with?

That's the impression I got.
OnlyForNow
AG
Where y'all been on this.

They made a huge show of it in the first episode - literally the same set piece from GOT.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AgsMnn said:

Pretty sure Viserys is also sitting on the same throne that Joffrey did in GoT.
powerbelly
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

AgsMnn said:

How did I miss that?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Daemons first wife?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Played Kim on Better Call Saul.
will25u
easttexasaggie04 said:

I think the Sea Snake and the old ass dragon are my favorite characters in this show.
Don't watch the next episode then.

THE Sea Snake is mentioned in the preview for the next episode by name.
AgsMnn
AG
powerbelly said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

AgsMnn said:

How did I miss that?

Haha

Did not catch it in the first episode. Lighting was too bright.

Goose06
AG
Looks like we are at the point where we can all check out of this thread and wait until next week. The "off season" stage is about to set in for the next 6 days.
aTmLoKi
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Daemons first wife?
Nahhh...DeVito's.
BCG Disciple
AG
A big thank you to this episode for not having a child birthing scene requiring this thread to s**t itself for the next week.
TopFlightReject
The Porkchop Express said:

It's great how similarly shot that scene was to the episode of Season 1 of GoT where Arya and Nymeria **** up Joffrey and throw his sword in the river (not sure if that happened in the show). But regardless, the scene happens outside of King's Landing where the King is a guest, not in his own comforts, and thus things get even more chaotic and you've got 50-100 onlookers peering on to see the show, whereas in KL - beyond the fact that it probably never would have happened anyways - there's a real set protocol where all the servants and staff and guards are pushing out the riff-raff. Too much happened at once for them the Targs to really think about what they were doing at Driftmark.

And 2 points for King Viserys for having bigger balls than Robert Baratheon and put the queen in her place. And also 2 points to Otto for evolving in his plotting and staying 100% silent in that situation, letting the chips fall where they may without him getting accused of anything.

We had to rewind to rewatch Christon Cole's face when the queen demands he get "an eye for an eye." He looks like the guy who's been casually hooking up with a girl and suddenly sees her in the middle of the bar loudly calling him her boyfriend.

EDIT to add - last night was the first time I felt the older casting of Rhaenyra was a big miss. The chemistry between the younger actress and Matt Smith was undeniable and made the attraction a lot more believable. To only get 1 scene together with the older actress before they're knocking it out did not capture that chemistry. No fault on the actors, just hard to do.

In ref to your last paragraph. I'm pretty sure in the BTS video of that episode the show runners mention that the funeral/post funeral reception scene is the first scene shot of the whole series. So that could be why the actors/actresses don't have a lot of chemistry going on.
AgsMnn
AG
They could have had one in the background, but it was too dark to see
Teddy Perkins
AG
How long do dragon's live? Seems like a bold move for Aemond to claim Vhagar, considering Vhagar looks like he's getting up there in dragon years and humans can only bond with one dragon in their lifetime.
powerbelly
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

How long do dragon's live? Seems like a bold move for Aemond to claim Vhagar, considering Vhagar looks like he's getting up there in dragon years and humans can only bond with one dragon in their lifetime.
Why? It seems the limiting factor is the number of dragons, not the ability to bond with a dragon.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Aemond is young, if Vhagar dies of old age next year, that's it for his dragon riding days. And are we sure there is a shortage of dragons or is it that Aemond has just had issues bonding with the available dragons?
powerbelly
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Aemond is young, if Vhagar dies of old age next year, that's it for his dragon riding days. And are we sure there is a shortage of dragons or is it that Aemond has just had issues bonding with the available dragons?
I thought there was some dialog about not having a dragon for all the kids, but if they found more then they would be next in line.
OnlyForNow
AG
He couldn't hatch an egg; I believe he was given a few - as stated in the show.
Counterpoint
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Now that we know there's a second time jump next week and the kids are aged up again, the kids would have looked older than Milly's Rhaenyra! (But I completely agree with what you're saying)
canadiaggie
AG
Teddy Perkins said:

Balerion lived to be 200. Vhagar is about 170 right now give or take a few years.

That being said, Balerion had the misfortune of being flown to the ruin of Valyria by Aerea Targaryen when he was around 150-160 years old. When they returned, Aerea was half burned and was infested with parasites like chestbursters from Alien, and Balerion had severe wounds. After that, Balerion never flew again until Viserys claimed him, after which Balerion died in less than a year. It's possible that being cooped up in the Dragonpit after the flight to Valyria hastened his death.

So Vhagar could be a few decades away from death by old age, possibly more.
option short side
AG
Stive said:

option short side said:

combat wombat said:

Obviously the King did not want him to take the eye. When the queen moved in on the kid, Cole had to be restrained by Daemon and other members of the king's guard. I got the impression Cole was going for the eye.
Stive
AG
I got the impression he was moving in to protect the Queen when she and Rhaenyra were facing off. It wasn't about the eye…that was earlier and he was still standing still when that happened. He didn't move until the ladies were attacking each other.
Goose06
AG
Agreed
BCG Disciple
AG
Daemon v Ser Criston Cole a decade and a half later - who do you have?

Daemon has been battle tested beyond any man in Westeros at this point. When not at war, he likely does not train regularly.

Ser Criston has probably been training. Not sure if he is as hungry as he was in the early days, after the princess popped his cherry/vows. A different mental space than fighting with a chip on your shoulder.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.