*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

276,948 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
mernaggie12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was like the Battle of Winterfell. Couldn't see anything until I turned all the lights out.

Hell of an episode though!

Didn't realize that was Laenor in the boat too. Rheanyra in on it too?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
will25u
Nm
TCTTS
AG
Holy crap, that was good.

Both LotR and HotD have been on fire this week (quite literally in both cases).

This show, in particular, really does move at lightning speed, though. Felt like two episodes of content in one, yet it somehow also didn't feel rushed either.

And yeah, there looks to be yet another time jump next episode, but at this point I'm just rolling with it.

Can't wait for the homestretch/final three episodes.
powerbelly
AG
powerbelly said:

The kid fight lost me.

But not as much as the queen becoming a dumbass
oragator
I didn't recognize him either, but I have just accepted the fact that I legitimately have a small amount of facial blindness. I think I identify people largely on their hair, so when that changes I lose the plot sometimes. Happened with Kim when she moved to florida too in BCS because her hair changed a lot. I am glad that he was given a merciful exit though, he's a good dude overall.
I was watching in my room, when the darkness started I went to a larger newer TV with more contrast and that solved it. I think we always knew those two would end up together, just surprised it happened now.
As for the episode, first half hour felt like a days of our lives episode, but it really came home strong, basically the whole future of the show was set tonight. At least I assume. I haven't read the books.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Cripplefinger's dumbass smile. I want someone to stick a dagger thru his eye
Madmarttigan
AG
I think this show moves incredibly slow and fast at the same time.

It does hamper your ability to form any kind of real attachment to a lot of the characters.

When I thought Laenor died I didn't even blink an eye, was like ehh.

This show is a super slow burn with an incredibly long as hell setup. Hoping it pays off.
TCTTS
AG
That's fair.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I'm still enjoying this soap opera with knives and dragons. Not gonna lie though, the white dreadlocks are just laughably bad
combat wombat™
AG
The king really needs to get Alicent in check.
Madmarttigan
AG
Also I'm a little surprised they didn't go full GoT and just kill Laenor. This IP loves morally gray characters that you aren't sure if they are good or bad, just entertaining. I thought they were about to turn Rhaenyra on a darker path and leave us not really sure about who we want to come on top.
will25u
It's on like donkey kong as soon as the king bites it.
El_duderino
He's somehow been about 100x more unlikeable than LittleFinger from the get go. I wonder what his end game angle is, but i can only imagine death since he inherited Harrenhal.
PatAg
AG
Interesting storyline from this episode I haven't seen mentioned.
At one point, Rhaenys and and Lord Corlys Velaryon were discussing setting aside Rhaenyra's *******s for Daemon's kids as a power play...but now Daemon and Rhaenyra are married.
Cant imagine Rhaenys and Velaryon will like that, but I guess we dont know how long they actually waited to marry after Laenor 'died'.
DannyDuberstein
AG
El_duderino said:

He's somehow been about 100x more unlikeable than LittleFinger from the get go. I wonder what his end game angle is, but i can only imagine death since he inherited Harrenhal.

He'll surely die horribly at some point because that's pretty much the MO of this whole world. You could guess that for any antagonist and it's a safe bet. But when is the bigger question.
PatAg
AG
Also, when Aegon (older brother) said the truth of it outloud...no one denied it and they all seemed to kind of give looks that said they knew.
TCTTS
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Also I'm a little surprised they didn't go full GoT and just kill Laenor. This IP loves morally gray characters that you aren't sure if they are good or bad, just entertaining. I thought they were about to turn Rhaenyra on a darker path and leave us not really sure about who we want to come on top.

I feel like they had to balance the incest with something more redeeming. Had she married her uncle AND had her ex killed in back to back scenes, she'd have gone past morally gray into straight up, unredeemable, disturbing/evil territory. Now, I'm still rooting for her, even though she made things with her uncle official.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
I can't understand how you'd film another dark episode after the Long Night was so universally lambasted.

It really ruined the episode for me. Why bother paying all the FX the dragon and have it be where you can barely see anything? I appreciated not being able to see Daemon and Rhaenyra bang clearly, but I couldn't tell who anyone but Matt Smith was in the last sequence, and I read the damn books.

Also, Harry and Buckbeak called, they want their first flight montage back.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
PatAg
AG
While it was still bad lighting, it was not as bad on my TV as some other Game of Thrones episodes. Which is really too bad, because the lighting they were trying to portray can look really awesome. (bright full moon/stars)

It's ultimately a small thing, but it's actaully absurd that they haven't figured out how to do it yet.
TCTTS
AG
Agreed. I admittedly had to take my picture off of HDR mode, but once I did I could see everything just fine. Wasn't an issue after that. But yeah, in general, they need to quit doing this sh*t. If you're going to shoot at night, at least have a prominent light source. Otherwise, design the scene(s) differently.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Anyone *****ing about the dark scenes.... good lord. The entire mood, tone, demeanor and color was dark and gray. It was ominous and intentional and well done. Most of it you didn't need to see like where you could see detail anyway. It was somber and brooding and dark and amazing from a cinematic point of view.

SIDE NOTE - if it's some issue with HDR or whatever ok... I really had no problem seeing it well enough.

Anyway - Loved it. So much tension - made my family reunions look like a picnic.

It was no wonder it spilled over into a brawl from the children they have been taught to fight, steal, cheat and lie. This is your comeuppance. This family will be severed and it was quite dramatically apparent symbolically and literally at the final scene in the great hall with everyone on one side or another. Literal battle lines have been drawn.

And Rhaenyra's move was brilliant and necessary and took the balls that someone like Allicent does not have - remember she was aghast at what that gimp did on her behalf even if it helped her and she secretly wanted it.

Wait so that was Laenor in the boat. did not catch that. I thought it was somebody to row the other dude. Now I recognize him. So does Rhaenyra know he was not killed? Or was that Daemons doing , or the guy faked it on. his own?

Well anyway she got what she wanted - FIRE and BLOOD literally joined in infernal matrimony. Hell yes.

Did everyone catch Viserys calling Allicent by the name Aemma or was that just me. I mean it was in the subtitles. Did I interpret that right. Like he was confused there.

And I disagree with her dad. I don't see it in Allicent to fight. Not the way the Targaryens fight anyway.

#TeamDaemon and #TeamRhaenyra

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wait, you read the book?
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait, you read the book?
Twice. You guys are going to love the underwater city of dragons, and when you realize Daemon is the Night King.
canadiaggie
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait, you read the book?
Twice. You guys are going to love the underwater city of dragons, and when you realize Daemon is the Night King.

Left out the part where Ramsay Bolton comes back to life just to chop Criston Cole's dick off a la Reek and then go back to the main GoT timeline
The Porkchop Express
AG
canadiaggie said:

The Porkchop Express said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Wait, you read the book?

Left out the part where Ramsay Bolton comes back to life just to chop Criston Cole's dick off a la Reek and then go back to the main GoT timeline
Criston Cole is part of Bran's Time Heist to impregnate his own aunt Lyana with Hodor's baby.
Stive
AG
I didn't notice the lighting being that bad either. Maybe I already have the settings in the best spot for that kind of episode or maybe it's the new TV I got last spring, but either way I had no issues seeing everything clearly. The love scene between Daemon and Rhaenyra was supposed to be shadowed, the flight scene was a bit cartoonish it seemed, and the funeral reception was supposed to be a bit dark and forbidding but I had no problems seeing who everyone was.
WES2006AG
AG
Great episode and while it was dark I had no problem seeing it. HBO Max has these episodes in Dolby Vision and it looks fine on my LG CX.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I went into last night with full intentions on pulling the plug if it sucked. I am still in on this.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Allicent has real Aethelfled vibes from TLK. Just a holier than thou prude that benefits off of most people doing her dirty work so she can pretend she's innocent.

Her kids are exactly what you expect from her.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
More memes:

ramblin_ag02
AG
Screw everyone else, I'm team Aemon. Gets teased and picked on. So he puts in his big boy pants and stares down the super dragon, takes on his cousins/nephews solo in a 4 on 1 brawl, has the best line of the show so far (lost an eye and gained a dragon) and now he gets a full on pirate eye patch. He needs to be walking away from explosions in every scene from now on. Total gansta
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
option short side
AG
combat wombat said:

The king really needs to get Alicent in check.
and Christon Cole. I get he is the queen's protector but his first allegiance is to the King
Four Seasons Landscaping
Watching this made me back to the start of Matt Smith's Doctor Who.

In hindsight, really took him and Karen Gillan's run for granted.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.