*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,108 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
BenFiasco14
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Halt, swine

M'non binary person requires my assistance
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
JJxvi
AG
I don't know why no one is smart enough to use the weird winter/summer dynamic of Westeros to show the passing of time. There should be a couple long periods of winter over a decade.
redline248
AG
PatAg said:

These are probably more fair comparisons, because a lot of actors/actresses look way different in their personal lives.
They have to realize how silly that looks with Daemon not looking any older.

Rhaenyra looks to have gone from 18 to 45 and he looks to have gone from 30 to 30.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Matt Smith turns 40 next month.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
The Dog Lord
AG
deer corn said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I mean no non book reader would have gotten the green dress without that dialogue.

If that was the reason, why was the King also wearing green and green Targ banners hanging? I get the symbolism and duologue, but why not have everything Targ in red or black. Seemed silly.
I think he was wearing black, and the Targ banners are definitely black.

I think one thing they could have done to make it less obvious but still get the message across is show Alicent in her room getting ready. She looks down at a gown with Targaryen colors laid out but then looks at the green dress with an obvious Hightower tower on it. Some people might not have gotten it even then though because the rest of the Hightowers were in much more muted greens and only shown for a second. They clearly wanted people to know what was going on which is why they through that line in there.
Houston Lee
AG
KidDoc said:

Aggie87 said:

Did anyone else think Viserys was being poisoned during the feast? They kept cutting away to him continuing to eat, while everything else was beginning to happen. I thought that was foreshadowing something.
I think he had bacterial sepsis from his cuts on the throne and classic poor medical care from maesters leading to his death. They showed how he was not doing well health wise the last few episodes. Note that he always had gloves on due to his non healing sores and cuts.
The King isnt dead yet...They showed him still living in the previews for the next episode. The next episode is 10 years later in the story.
Ol Jock 99
AG

InternetFan02
AG
I'm really going to miss young Rhaenyra and what an awesome way to go out as she taunts her uncle in old valerian that he should just take her to dragonstone and have his way. I'm all in - greatest incestuous chemistry ever. No way new rhaenyra has that same chemistry but maybe that's the point. Milly Alcock is right up there with Emilia Clarke for me as cute British girl/dragon princess - excellent casting.
Icecream_Ag
S
Quote:

Milly Alcock is right up there with Emilia Clarke for me as cute British girl/dragon princess - excellent casting.
an Aussie is one of your favorite British girls. Interesting.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Quote:

Milly Alcock is right up there with Emilia Clarke for me as cute British girl/dragon princess - excellent casting.
an Aussie is one of your favorite British girls. Interesting.
It's 2022. Aussies can be Brits today if they choose to be.
TCTTS
AG
As much as it sucks to lose Milly Alcock, we're at least gaining one of the best actresses of her generation in Olivia Cooke (as the older Alicent). It's weird, though, as she doesn't look much older than her younger counterpart, where as Emma D'Arcy obviously does.

I'm not a huge fan of the progression of time/changing of actors overall, as one of the main attractions of great TV is falling in love with a specific cast, and getting to revisit that same cast week after week, year after year. But I'm willing to give this little experiment a chance and then see how I feel at season's end.
PatAg
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

Halt, swine

M'non binary person requires my assistance
It's pretty funny you took my post as "protecting" somehow. Got some issues
Lathspell
AG
Emilia Clarke is so much better looking than her, not to mention so much more charming.
redline248
AG
I will make the suggestion that Rhaenyra the character is not supposed to be very charming. (I have not seen the actress in anything else to compare).
canadiaggie
AG
redline248 said:

I will make the suggestion that Rhaenyra the character is not supposed to be very charming. (I have not seen the actress in anything else to compare).

Without commenting on Rhaenyra, it's probably best to note that Daenerys in the show is MUCH more likeable than Daenerys in the books. In the books she (age appropriately, since she's like 14 years old in the books) is kind of whiny and you see the mad queen potential more clearly. The show muddied the waters by glossing over this a tad, and I'd say Emilia Clarke's own charisma and attractiveness made her much more likeable, especially when she's carrying out the ultra violent acts that foreshadow her eventual fall from sanity at the end of S8.
InternetFan02
AG
Thinking this season would have worked better if they took 9-10 episodes to get to the wedding and then save the time jump for season 2. The season is narrowly focused on the main characters with minimal time spent on any others. I be would have loved to see background stuff at driftmark, vale, citadel, step stones, etc
TCTTS
AG
This 100%. Treat it like The Crown and do a cast switch each season if you have to. But to do it mid-season just seems super weird.
OnlyForNow
AG
Right. Hot girls can be a lot crazier and do a lot worse things to lots of people and still get away with it.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

This 100%. Treat it like The Crown and do a cast switch each season if you have to. But mid-season just seems super weird.

Hmmm but that would either mean not having these 5 episodes as back story and starting here with the story in which case you surely need a lot of dialogue to fill in that backstory.

OR

Extending what we have so far into a full 10 episodes which seems like dragging it out a bit if the end goal is what's in the remaining episodes of this season. Seems like that would also lack a dramatic conclusion.

I get the change is unpopular right now but logically it might be necessary and by the end we might get it. It's like they had 2 five episode seasons of material. And anyway this way there won't be a big change into season 2.

I suppose another option might have been to show it interspersed with each episode having about half dedicated to each timeline. But that might be awkward too.

Although none were mid season I think it might be helpful to remember that all of these characters were recast during the GOT run:

Beric Dondarrion
The Mountain - played by 3 different actors
Daario Naharis - drastic change in looks and build
The Night King
The Three-Eyed Raven - physically completely different
Leaf
Rickard Karstark
Lothar Frey
Dickon Tarly
Myrcella Baratheon
Tommen Baratheon
Selyse Baratheon

TCTTS
AG
Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

This 100%. Treat it like The Crown and do a cast switch each season if you have to. But mid-season just seems super weird.

Hmmm but that would either mean not having these 5 episodes as back story and starting here with the story in which case you surely need a lot of dialogue to fill in that backstory.

OR

Extending what we have so far into a full 10 episodes which seems like dragging it out a bit if the end goal is what's in the remaining episodes of this season. Seems like that would also lack a dramatic conclusion.

I get the change is unpopular right now but logically it might be necessary and by the end we might get it. It's like they had 2 five episode seasons of material. And anyway this way there won't be a big change into season 2.

I suppose another option might have been to show it interspersed with each episode having about half dedicated to each timeline. But that might be awkward too.

As InternetFan02 said, if you end a 10-episode first season with the wedding, I think there was plenty of background/ancillary story that would have been super interesting to fill in the blanks and expand upon, along with making certain motivations clearer for the main characters as well, or giving them more to do in general. For instance, Sir Criston's freak out at the wedding almost felt like it came out of no where. On paper, I guess I get why he did what he did, but with another episode or two to soak in those emotions and dwell on his predicament a bit more, it would have played so much better. There have been multiple moments like that where I just wanted things developed more. The Watch podcast said it perfectly today, saying it felt like a five-episode Wikipedia entry more than anything; like the CliffsNotes version of a full season.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
TCTTS said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

OR

As InternetFan02 said, if you end a 10-episode first season with the wedding, I think there was plenty of background/ancillary story that would have been super interesting to fill in the blanks and expand upon, along with making certain motivations clearer for the main characters as well, or giving them more to do in general. For instance, Sir Criston's freak out at the wedding almost felt like it came out of no where. On paper, I guess I get why he did what he did, but with another episode or two to soak in those emotions and dwell on his predicament a bit more, it would have played so much better. There have been multiple moments like that where I just wanted things developed more. The Watch podcast said it perfectly today, saying it felt like a five-episode Wikipedia entry more than anything; like the CliffsNotes version of a full season.

I mean we have different opinions which is fine.

But I would disagree that Sir Criston was a major character anyway. He was a side piece. We had his selection, then banging the princess, then pouring his heart out. Other than that he stood around in the background. His motivation isn't even that compelling to me - he liked banging her. Shrug.

Could it have been expanded to 10 episodes.... maybe. Personally I didn't find the wedding that dramatic. It basically had one fight. In GOTU I'd rank it 5th in uncomfortable disaster weddings.

Red Wedding
Purple Wedding
Daenerys and Drogo
Black Wedding - Ramsay and Sansa
Rhaenyra and Laenor

Anyway. I'm happy with the 5 episodes we got of this time period. I think any more could be just filling space. I'd rather save time to tell the story rather than potentially run out of budget before the story is told and rush the last season or two.

Although I will admit that I'm putting some faith in them having a laid out story and roadmap. I've made that mistake before of course.

PS - I'm taking credit here for coining GOTU as a thing.
PatAg
AG
TCTTS said:

Zombie Jon Snow said:

TCTTS said:

OR

I think we could have seen more of the realm with an expanded season, but I assume they decided to focus primarily on Kings Landing for a few reasons. It may be the book only covered that and nothing else, if so thats probably all you can do
They may have also been worried if they didnt get to action quick enough, people wouldnt stick with the show long enough to learn more characters.
M.C. Swag
AG
I think it's really only fair to judge the time jump and change of character actors after the season is over. It's also important to note that they casted Emma D'arcy and Olivia Cooke first. As in, they were the actors they pegged to build this show around. Milly Alcock and Emily Carey have done a tremendous job and will undoubtedly rise in prominence for these portrayals, but I'd like to give HotD the chance with the actors they've always had in mind when writing this show.

Also, it's impossible to know which details will be glossed over or which ones will actually turn up later and be super critical to the plot. For instance, who's to say Ser Criston's motivation for his outburst won't be discussed in a later episode? Hard to say whether all this would be better served stretched out or if the concluding 5 episodes will evidence why this "wikipedia" download was not only necessary, but the best way to tell the story.

Squirrel Master
AG
Enjoying the show. Without finding the exact quotes of other posters, I have some thoughts on things people have said:

Re: "The end of this episode really escalated quickly" Man, I'd argue that they really masterfully drew that out. With both the Queen and the brother's entrances and the drama of those, and all the dancing and music, it was never any doubt that some s was about to go down... but I was on the edge of my seat waiting for it to actually happen. Nice slow build, then the explosion.

Feels like with all the talk of the green dress and the conversation about it between the Strong boys and how it lacked the subtlety/foreshadowing of what we might expect, you'd think that the violence of the wedding was led by the Queen, but it wasn't. I'd argue the green dress is still only foreshadowing, setting up the strife to come. I assume she was out in the courtyard to stop Cole's suicide and instead recruit him to her forces.

If they wanted to stretch out this section of the storyline into more episodes, the best way to do that would have been to give us more of the War of the Narrow Sea.
zap
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Back to the normal people discussion,

I wouldn't be surprised if the maester is in cahoots with someone to weaken Viserys. Every bit of medical advice has been terrible.

Has to be Daemon, right?
Something is definitely amiss with Viserys' medical care. Twice now, the old maester has over ruled the younger maester's suggestion for an alternative treatment option.

Stupid theory alert: Maesters train at the Citadel, the Citadel is in Oldtown, the Hightowers are from Oldtown.
redline248
AG
Quote:

Stupid theory alert: Maesters train at the Citadel, the Citadel is in Oldtown, the Hightowers are from Oldtown.
Sounds like a good reason to move the Maesters' training facility to a new location...
(or to stay really, really friendly with Oldtown).

I don't know the history of the Maesters in regards to allegiances (or how they ended up at the citadel in Oldtown...maybe they have their own designs.
PatAg
AG
Conversely, they could just not be great at keeping people alive
M.C. Swag
AG
What would the Maesters gain by killing Viserys? Also, the citadel may be located there but don't people come from all over Westeros to study there? Like, would Mellos have any personal reason to align with the Hightowers over the Targaryens?

And to be fair, in episode 1(?) the younger trainee suggested cauterizatuon and Mellos agreed to it.
canadiaggie
AG
M.C. Swag said:

What would the Maesters gain by killing Viserys? Also, the citadel may be located there but don't people come from all over Westeros to study there? Like, would Mellos have any personal reason to align with the Hightowers over the Targaryens?

And to be fair, in episode 1(?) the younger trainee suggested cauterizatuon and Mellos agreed to it.

It's more related to the GoT main timeline books than House of the Dragon, but you should read about the Maester Conspiracy theory.

And before anyone gets on me, no, that's not a Fire and Blood spoiler at all. Just a fan theory related to the events in the main GOT timeline
easttexasaggie04
AG

bearamedic99
AG
What if Daemon might just be the Hunter Biden of the Targaryens and a "dragon" personified but truly not wishing I'll of his brother? Has he done anything overt to show he wishes the king Iill?
MW03
AG
zap said:

AgfromHOU said:

Back to the normal people discussion,

I wouldn't be surprised if the maester is in cahoots with someone to weaken Viserys. Every bit of medical advice has been terrible.

Has to be Daemon, right?
Something is definitely amiss with Viserys' medical care. Twice now, the old maester has over ruled the younger maester's suggestion for an alternative treatment option.

Shoutout to the time Pycelle took down Ros (RIP)

Icecream_Ag
S
bearamedic99 said:

What if Daemon might just be the Hunter Biden of the Targaryens and a "dragon" personified but truly not wishing I'll of his brother? Has he done anything overt to show he wishes the king Iill?
Daemon thinks he's a weak king and is pissed he was passed over, but I don't think he wishes the king ill. It's a fight between brothers and that's as far as either wants to push it
mandevilleag
So why is the Hand's gimp son fomenting discord in the king's house. I can't tell if he is aligned with the Hightowers, but he certainly placed the seed of doubt in the queen's mind and continues to egg her on. I'm probably forgetting something from earlier in the series, but his father and brother don't seem disloyal.
The Dog Lord
AG
PatAg said:

Conversely, they could just not be great at keeping people alive
Also, he's just an old guy who is stuck in his ways. I get a lot of resistance from the olds in my field who have "always done it a certain way."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.