*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

276,911 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Lathspell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why would we spoiler tag something from the most recent episode? This is a show discussion thread. Historically, any fact so far revealed in the series is fair game. You probably shouldn't open this thread after a new episode airs if you haven't seen it.

So... did Ser Criston just snap? That was a strange occurrence.

I found the episode to be mediocre.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So, is Daemon and the Velaryon sister gonna be a thing?
C@LAg

snipped to re-edit.
HossAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's the vibe I got
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Wonder why Alicent stopped Ser Criston. Very interested to see what her play is going forward, but she clearly is done with Rhanyaera.
C@LAg
Brian Earl Spilner said:

in case you were looking for a real spoiler answer adding all of this to make it look like a really long answer just for me to actually answer with a YES.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I wasn't asking for book spoilers, fyi. Discussion for non book readers.

There's a thread for that.
HossAg
AG
I think she wants him to be her ally going forward. He feels sort of betrayed/cast aside, she needs people in her court, and she obviously knows his secret.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think him killing him was more about his own guilt more than anything.
canadiaggie
AG
Criston snapping seems to be a combo of the secret getting out, the guilt, and his desire to have Rhaenyra as his wife and not his secret side piece.

Or so I interpret.
oragator
Least favorite episode so far. Some of the machinations were fine.
But the whole episode was basically the lyrics from "love Stinks and a few of the things that happened weren't clear.
AgfromHOU
AG
Can someone post the laugh/cry for me? Almost want to get stars just for this.
AgfromHOU
AG
Back to the normal people discussion,

I wouldn't be surprised if the maester is in cahoots with someone to weaken Viserys. Every bit of medical advice has been terrible.

Has to be Daemon, right?
EFE
AG
Biggest gripe is the whole explaining Easter eggs as they happen because the writers are either lazy or so excited about the thing they just inserted being so subtle they have to explain it. GOT was much more subtle with this early on that it made the episodes rewatchable, this felt ham handed.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I liked it and thought it was a great episode. Going to miss the younger characters.

And lol at y'all that are upset that a fantasy show set in a world with DRAGONS and a magical Night King who can turn dead corpses into zombies also has dark skinned people with white hair and occasionally features gay people.

Must've missed y'all crying about those girls going down on each other in the brothel during last weekend's episode.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean no non book reader would have gotten the green dress without that dialogue.
PatAg
AG
The second those drums started and they were all dancing, you just knew someone was going to get killed. The only question was who
PatAg
AG
I also thought they did a great job setting up Ser Criston's actions throughout the whole episode, between his talk with Rhaenyra on the ship, then with the Queen in her chambers, and him not being of noble birth so not accustomed to all the politcal intrigue.
I thought he might go for Daemon at one point.
EFE
AG
I get that, but I guess I just liked the subtlety of the early GOT episodes where all of the Easter eggs were hinted at in later episodes that for me spurred a rewatch to catch the moment.
CoachRTM
AG
I thought the music in this episode was fantastic, and I love how much story they're fitting into every hour.
BenFiasco14
AG
So… Ser Trestan beat up the red headed guy because he knew his secret?

I mean how did he get away with that though. Just straight up murder
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
PatAg
AG
EFE said:

I get that, but I guess I just liked the subtlety of the early GOT episodes where all of the Easter eggs were hinted at in later episodes that for me spurred a rewatch to catch the moment.
If you are talking about her wearing green, and then 2 of the people in teh court discussing what color the Hightowers burn the beacon to call their men to arms at war..that's not really what an easter egg is.

Now, could they have found some way to discuss that in an earlier episode, or depict the fire burning green and discussing it. THEN she shows up wearing the green dress? Yes, that would been much subtler, but Im not really sure how that could have fit into the story they have been telling.
mazzag
AG
Can we discuss the green dress and banners? Alicent is treasonous IMO.
EFE
AG
Where I'm at is something like that in earlier GOT episodes, it would have been presented as FOE, "Joffrey would have me wear a necklace of dead sparrows" and then the sept of Baylor is nuked with all of the sparrows inside. Present the queen in all green, fine, but in the episodes to come when the towers in old town are lit in green and it all makes sense without the overt "look at the Easter egg we just planted"
MW03
AG
PatAg said:

EFE said:

If you are talking about her wearing green, and then 2 of the people in teh court discussing what color the Hightowers burn the beacon to call their men to arms at war..that's not really what an easter egg is.

Now, could they have found some way to discuss that in an earlier episode, or depict the fire burning green and discussing it. THEN she shows up wearing the green dress? Yes, that would been much subtler, but Im not really sure how that could have fit into the story they have been telling.

There was a funny bit from the behind the scenes episode where the show runner or whoever was like "I'm interested to see how many people get the part about the green dress...I mean, I know we explained it in the scene."
BowSowy
AG
I really liked that episode. Knowing that it was a wedding told me there would be some craziness.

I also just laugh at the people who get so upset about seeing a gay scene. This is a universe that has showed incest scenes in both shows, but you're upset about a scene with two dudes kissing.
C@LAg
BowSowy said:

but you're upset about a scene with two dudes kissing.
damn straight!

we need equal representation and lots of hot chicks making out with each other.
PatAg
AG
EFE said:

Where I'm at is something like that in earlier GOT episodes, it would have been presented as FOE, "Joffrey would have me wear a necklace of dead sparrows" and then the sept of Baylor is nuked with all of the sparrows inside. Present the queen in all green, fine, but in the episodes to come when the towers in old town are lit in green and it all makes sense without the overt "look at the Easter egg we just planted"
I think we are agreeing, but you are just calling it an easter egg for some reason.
It wasn't the most cleverly done scene, but it also wasnt the worst.
I appreciate that they at least want to include stuff like that.
C@LAg
PatAg said:

EFE said:

sept of Baylor

EFE
AG
I guess a better description would be foreshadowing, which I enjoyed immensely in the early parts of GOT. Once I realized that every episode had hints of what was to come and all of the interconnected storylines/statecraft/etc, that's what really drew me into the show and into a genre that was out of my traditional reading/viewing wheelhouse
PatAg
AG
EFE said:

I guess a better description would be foreshadowing, which I enjoyed immensely in the early parts of GOT. Once I realized that every episode had hints of what was to come and all of the interconnected storylines/statecraft/etc, that's what really drew me into the show and into a genre that was out of my traditional reading/viewing wheelhouse
Yea, like you said originally, it wasnt incredibly subtle.
That being said, I do love that they include that type of moment in this show so far, it makes the world feel larger.
redline248
AG
I enjoyed all of that episode. Criston going ape on that dude made me laugh. "Oh, you think you know a secret...well f-ck you, buddy! You don't know sh-t, now!"

btw, Criston is a dumbass. He didn't know anything about Daemon, and instead of keeping his mouth shut and waiting to her what the Queen was asking just blurts out "I banged the princess!" I mean, I guess most dudes would want to brag to someone about it, though

The confusing part about the violence at the end was, what I assumed, Lannister guards running into the hall. Were they supposed to be Targaryen guards? I can't tell them apart.

I love Daemon. Oh you want to confess? No? Well then how about you get my castle ready for me, punk! I do find it interesting that he didn't really do anything to cause that horse to rear up and crush his wife. He was very weird until he picked up that rock.

I'm gonna miss the younger actresses.
AgE2theBONE
AG
redline248 said:

I enjoyed all of that episode. Criston going ape on that dude made me laugh. "Oh, you think you know a secret...well f-ck you, buddy! You don't know sh-t, now!"

btw, Criston is a dumbass. He didn't know anything about Daemon, and instead of keeping his mouth shut and waiting to her what the Queen was asking just blurts out "I banged the princess!" I mean, I guess most dudes would want to brag to someone about it, though

The confusing part about the violence at the end was, what I assumed, Lannister guards running into the hall. Were they supposed to be Targaryen guards? I can't tell them apart.

I love Daemon. Oh you want to confess? No? Well then how about you get my castle ready for me, punk! I do find it interesting that he didn't really do anything to cause that horse to rear up and crush his wife. He was very weird until he picked up that rock.

I'm gonna miss the younger actresses.

When she reached for her bow I thought Daemon charged the horse to get him to rear up, but we couldn't really see that. I don't know why the horse would rear up like that on its own, throwing itself onto its back.

The consensus on episode recaps is that he startled the horse, forcing it to react.
redline248
AG
Yeah, I guess so. It was hard to see what exactly he did
CondensedFogAggie
Overall very nice episode. The tension during reception as the various lords walked around playing Daes Dae'mar was fun to watch. Especially with that westerosi bass booming the the background.

I did scratch my head over how Daemon batmaned into the Vale and killed the Lady of Runestone so easily though.

And Criston Cole doesn't exactly seem like the guy to suddenly go homicidal loco during dinner at the white house either. With all that building tension, I thought at least some bigwig like Daemon, a random Velaryon kid, one of the nobles or the king himself was going to die.

Also, why exactly is Alicent pissed? Rhaeny truthfully told her she didn't screw Daemon. Granted she left out the Cole part, but I'm sure she'd understand her desire to keep that secret.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.