*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,311 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
bluefire579
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alicent will be aged up as well (going to be played by the girl from Ready Player One)
bluefire579
AG
Yeah, something like that. The Night King as well, and pretty much anything involving the Children of the Forest were also far far in the past. Hell, when GoT starts, direwolves weren't necessarily legendary, but they remark on how long it had been seen any had been seen south of the wall. Even the dragons had been gone for a few generations. My point was that Westeros was kind of on its way to a post-magic existence, with the mystical elements pushed out by men, and the events of GoT thrust it right back into it, with this series being in a time where it was very much declining.
The Porkchop Express
AG
bluefire579 said:

Alicent will be aged up as well (going to be played by the girl from Ready Player One)
Wow, I would not have recognized her from RPO. In this photo she doesnt' look particularly older than the other actress.

The other 2.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
powerbelly
AG
IMO the age appearance isn't enough there to justify changing actresses. It seems like the show runners were over-thinking this one.
OnlyForNow
AG
Maybe not for Allicent, but R looks certainly different.

And the story must age them unless they are gonna go COMPLETELY off script.
IDIOT = me!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Maybe not for Allicent, but Queen R looks certainly different.

And the story must age them unless they are gonna go COMPLETELY off script.
I think it is because in that photo the silver hair looks white which makes her look significantly older
bluefire579
AG
Yeah, in the books, Alicent is like 9 years older than Rhaenyra. Both Alicent actresses are younger than their respective Rhaenyras. Guess they wanted to play up that friendship aspect a bit?

Given how young both the younger actresses look, I guess they felt it was easier to have older actresses than to do any kind of extra makeup or digital alterations. Guess we'll see how the new two capture the characters, hopefully as good as the younger ones have been.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
powerbelly said:

IMO the age appearance isn't enough there to justify changing actresses. It seems like the show runners were over-thinking this one.

It's likely more about future seasons than it is about this season.

Introducing the change now makes it more palatable for future seasons I imagine. And they will likely age more so transition it while it is not significant but with someone that can be aged more easily.

Just my thought on why.

QEII was replaced after season 2 of the crown and it took some getting used to. And they are about to replace that one in season 5 with Dolores Umbridge from HP. It is. a story that spans 70 years obviously so kind of necessary.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
They might sprinkle in flashbacks in S2 and beyond to fill in the gap, right? And bring back the actresses. Would be a shame to never see them again.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

I hope that is the case. Would be an effective way to include them and appease fans too.

I would almost bet on it. Flashbacks were an effective thing in GOT and this has ripe opportunity for it.
Urban Ag
AG
bluefire579 said:

Yeah, in the books, Alicent is like 9 years older than Rhaenyra. Both Alicent actresses are younger than their respective Rhaenyras. Guess they wanted to play up that friendship aspect a bit?

Given how young both the younger actresses look, I guess they felt it was easier to have older actresses than to do any kind of extra makeup or digital alterations. Guess we'll see how the new two capture the characters, hopefully as good as the younger ones have been.
When y'all keep referencing the books are you specifically talking about Fire and Blood? It's been sitting in my office for at least a couple years but never got around to it.
spag.ag2003
AG
Yes they are.

I read up to the start of the show to get backstory but stopped because I actually want to watch the show unfold without prior knowledge for once.
tk for tu juan
I noticed on Sunday that IMDB had the older Rhaenyra and Alicent starting on episode 6. Wasn't going to say anything in case someone thought is was a spoiler. Does Viserys' reign end before or after the time jump?
spag.ag2003
AG
I'm fairly certain they cast the older actresses first and were scrambling to find their younger counterparts. Talk about knocking it out of the park.

I wonder if they showrunners would have done it differently if the casting timing had been flipped.
bluefire579
AG
Urban Ag said:

bluefire579 said:

When y'all keep referencing the books are you specifically talking about Fire and Blood? It's been sitting in my office for at least a couple years but never got around to it.
Fire and Blood is the main source, yes, but I tend to just say it for anything that's part of the written lore.
canadiaggie
AG
bluefire579 said:

Urban Ag said:

bluefire579 said:

Fire and Blood is the main source, yes, but I tend to just say it for anything that's part of the written lore.
Even if you have read Fire and Blood, the book is written as a history treatise and presents multiple accounts of major events that will happen in House of the Dragon. Without spoiling anything, the "author" (GRRM in the guise of a maester) reports accounts from several "sources" or "eyewitnesses" of the events, so it'll be interesting for readers to see which version of events is canonical.
schmidthead
I'm just glad y'all finally responded to my ****-stirring post!
OnlyForNow
AG
That's just asking for spoilers.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seriously, there's a spoiler thread for this exact purpose.
OnlyForNow
AG
Which is why I started it!
I give HBO the benefit of the doubt that they chose a great actress to play older Rhaenyra. It was just a few weeks ago when we saw still images of the younger version and we all said she looked horrible.
option short side
AG
I got more cringy during the brothel scene bc R looks like she is 13. The whole dameon giving her blue balls made me more uncomfortable than when Jaime sexually assaulted his sister on the coffin of their dead incest child ( never thought i would write something like that.)
The Porkchop Express
AG
Compared to the novels of ASOIAF, Fire and Blood is like reading a text book. You're getting details, but they are all from one point of view. The show is really taking the bull by the horns and expanding on lots of stuff that's really fun.

The show is really hitting on a lot of things that were disappointingly left out of the other series that I'm really enjoying - again, no spoilers - but things like the outdoor parts of the castle and going into the King's Wood are great to see.

The secret passageway in Rhaneryra's chamber and an earlier reference to Maegor the Cruel.

Them not changing names of people because they fear the confusion, especially is nice. Starting the show with another Berric Dondarion could have easily been changed to not confused people, but they stuck to the lineage.

Phrasing
AG
Yeah she looks young but I think she's like 18-19 at this point in the show. I think she was 15 when it started and it's been about 4 years since Ep 1. And 18-19 in those times is like 35 in todays world. Lol.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Matt Smith makes a point of saying ITS BEEN FOUR YEARS. That's one of my favorite running gags from the Pitch Meeting guy, "Best friends always talk about how long they've been friends!"
GreasenUSA
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Are we guessing or just throwing out spoilers?
OnlyForNow
AG
Please edit your post.

I screwed up.
GreasenUSA
AG
I appreciate the acknowledgement, but I wish you book folks would just get out of the non-book threads. It's like you guys have some weird need for all of us to know that you know what's happening before we do. Or it's an "accident". It happens time and time again.

I don't know anything about the books, and I'm enjoying the hell out of the show, and just want to come to this thread and partake in some discussion without **** being ruined.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's literally the first thing I've ever spoiled in any of these threads and it was a dumb mistake.
The Porkchop Express
AG
OnlyForNow said:

That's literally the first thing I've ever spoiled in any of these threads and it was a dumb mistake.
Ol Jock 99
AG
I assume no one on this thread has watched the original Game of Thrones either. Because these events were discussed multiple times. Shireen, Joffrey, pretty sure Viserys....
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

I assume no one on this thread has watched the original Game of Thrones either. Because these events were discussed multiple times. Shireen, Joffrey, pretty sure Viserys....

Lot of people don't remember that detail. It wasn't an action scene or boobies so people tuned out or don't remember amidst all that actually happened vs. a history lesson..

But yeah they discussed the entire history. there are youtube videos collating all of those scenes if you wish to spoil yourself.

Ol Jock 99
AG
I get that, and there is no need for anyone to be a$$es about it. But the outline has been presented in the actual show. OnlyForNow accidentally put a single letter. No one should get butthurt about that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
wasn't trying to be an a$$

just chiming in
Ol Jock 99
AG
You weren't at all. I mean people being jerks about the lore.

I'm done sidetracking. Hoping to rewatch tonight. They are doing a GREAT job with this show.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.