*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,517 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
javajaws
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HossAg said:

Well that was a lot

That's what she said!
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Kampfers
AG
Bregxit said:

Teddy Perkins said:

The post episode discussion mentioned Daemon couldn't go through with it because of his impotence. When watching I got the vibe that he didn't go through with it because he knew he shouldn't.
They said his impotence was caused by Rhaenyra liking it, thus taking away his power/control. Not that he was generally impotent.

When I watched it my initial thought was he had a crisis of conscience moment that he shouldn't be ****ing his niece.
They've shown his impotence before though and they show stuff like that for a reason. I have zero doubt that Daemon sees himself as the "true" Targ between himself and his brother, and would happily have bedded his niece in a heartbeat if his willy hadn't betrayed him at the crucial moment.

Did anyone catch who the young Blackwood boy killed after he courted Rhaenyra? Wondering if that plays into which houses choose which side when the die eventually gets cast.
redline248
AG
After all the machinations of the last half hour I almost forgot about that fight. Homeboy opened up his mouth and caught a sword to the gut for it. I actually cheered a little for that.

I had forgotten about the impotence aspect and just assumed that Daemon knew even he couldn't go that far. He definitely tried to play it to his advantage, though. Viserys isn't the worst king to ever sit the Iron Throne, but he is a bit dense. Glad he canned Otto...though I'm sure there will be more consequence.

I'm ready for a little more action, but good episode.
FancyKetchup14
AG
"My Uncle Took Me to Kings Landing's Red Light District. My Column:"
JCRiley09
AG
I won't dispute the writers/directors and all, but I really thought daemon planned the whole brothel visit to stir sh** up
oragator
This show might be better than GOT right now. It's got such depth in it across the board. The characters,, emotions, plot lines, just wonderfully written to now.
javajaws
AG
JCRiley09 said:

I won't dispute the writers/directors and all, but I really thought daemon planned the whole brothel visit to stir sh** up

Yeah, pretty sure he knew they would be watched and reported on and is exactly what he wanted.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
ExpressAg11
AG
I may be wrong, but was the boy who gave the info to Otto the same boy who spoke to Daemon's lady friend in a later scene?
schmidthead
I shouldn't be surprised this devolved into a hot or not thread but I'd love to see y'all's wives on this thread. Do it, be a TexAgs legend!
Stive
AG
ExpressAg11 said:

I may be wrong, but was the boy who gave the info to Otto the same boy who spoke to Daemon's lady friend in a later scene?

I wondered the same thing. Sure looked like the same kid.

And someone remind me of Daemon's impotence reveal from an earlier episode…I can't remember anything about that at all.
schmidthead
Daemon's a habitual line stepper
redline248
AG
He was banging the girl that he ended up taking to Dragonstone and couldn't finish the job
Post removed:
by user
Kampfers
AG
redline248 said:

After all the machinations of the last half hour I almost forgot about that fight. Homeboy opened up his mouth and caught a sword to the gut for it. I actually cheered a little for that.
Yeah, I was definitely glad he got his comeuppance for running his mouth instead of the kid dying, ha

FWIW the GoT wiki lists a "Ser Amos Bracken" as dying in this episode, and as far as I remember, that guy was the only person who died. That said, I went back and the coat of arms he's wearing looks a lot more like a Baratheon one. But maybe that's because they were in Storm's End (also, first Storm's End sighting! Can't believe that hasn't been mentioned yet).

Now, it's been a long time since I read any of the ASOIAF materials, but if memory serves the Brackens and Blackwoods don't particularly like each other. IIRC they might have been introduced when Jamie was cleaning up the Riverlands?

Kampfers
AG
Stive said:

ExpressAg11 said:

Some of you have eagle eyes if you can tell that kid is the same, he was on screen for less than 3 seconds and we only got a profile view while Daemon was lying in bed.

I do think that the writers included that purposely (and juxtaposed those scenes back to back) to make us think about the connection though. It appeared the kid gave the lady money - the payment that Otto had given him? FWIW I don't think it's the same kid - I think it's a red herring.
Stive
AG
This being Game of Thrones stuff I totally expected the kid to get killed during that fight, not the older/bigger guy that was mouthing off.
combat wombat™
AG
Random-ish thoughts:

I have avoided the explicit sex/nudity scenes. They're not for me… so I missed his impotence issue.

Honestly, if his wife would do them the favor of dying, marrying Daemon to Rhaneyra would strengthen her chances of getting the throne… wouldn't they basically both have a claim and be co-rulers? Aemon is too young.

Glad to see Otto gone. King finally saw through his selfinyerested machinations. Alicent seems to be a good wife, but politically she was the wrong choice. The hand should have counseled against that.

Rhaneyra's being extremely short-sighted in her lack of diplomacy in the search for a suitor. These guys will one day either support her or her brother. She's not doing herself any favors.

Her actions with Criston Cole show a complete disregard for his safety. If anyone found out he'd be a dead man. Bad Rhaneyra!

I was so very glad to see the little kid suitor take out the loud-mouthed bully.

It's good to see that the kind isn't stupid… and had plan B prepared for Rhaneyra.

PatAg
AG
Kampfers said:

Stive said:

ExpressAg11 said:

Some of you have eagle eyes if you can tell that kid is the same, he was on screen for less than 3 seconds and we only got a profile view while Daemon was lying in bed.

I do think that the writers included that purposely (and juxtaposed those scenes back to back) to make us think about the connection though. It appeared the kid gave the lady money - the payment that Otto had given him? FWIW I don't think it's the same kid - I think it's a red herring.
It was definitely the same kid, but not sure why he would give her the money. Unless its a way of Otto paying her indirectly...
Lathspell
AG
Good episode building a lot of intrigue.

I do agree, they left that scene with Daemon and Rhaenera too ambiguous. I also got the impression he decided not to go through with it at the last second for more altruistic reasons.

I was definitely engaged the entire episode.

I also loved the guy with the mouth taking a sword to the stomach. Good on the young lord.
redline248
AG
One thought about whether or not Daemon intended for them to be seen... He took of her hat so that everyone would see her silver hair. He wanted everyone to know she was there
The Porkchop Express
AG
Kampfers said:

redline248 said:

Yeah, I was definitely glad he got his comeuppance for running his mouth instead of the kid dying, ha

FWIW the GoT wiki lists a "Ser Amos Bracken" as dying in this episode, and as far as I remember, that guy was the only person who died. That said, I went back and the coat of arms he's wearing looks a lot more like a Baratheon one. But maybe that's because they were in Storm's End (also, first Storm's End sighting! Can't believe that hasn't been mentioned yet).

Now, it's been a long time since I read any of the ASOIAF materials, but if memory serves the Brackens and Blackwoods don't particularly like each other. IIRC they might have been introduced when Jamie was cleaning up the Riverlands?

Brackens and Blackwoods have been killing each other for centuries and kept renaming a plot of land about some chick's boobs or something.

Jamie settling their dispute is one of the best parts of his character development that the show completely whiffed on - using your wits to make peace instead of a sword to kill everyone.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Stive
AG
But was the King convinced she had slept with Daemon and had the Plan B Tea delivered? Or was someone else in with the maester and had it sent? Could someone else have sent a messenger to the maester and made it seem like it was from the king? As naive as the king is I took it as he believed his daughter but the maesters visit totally threw me off and I was trying to figure out who would have sent him to take care of her Cole problem.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
PatAg said:

Kampfers said:

Stive said:

ExpressAg11 said:

It was definitely the same kid, but not sure why he would give her the money. Unless its a way of Otto paying her indirectly...

If you listen close you hear Otto say his information came from a source and "she" has always had accurate information. The boy worked for her and reported what he saw and then was paid and brought it back to her.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Stive said:

But was the King convinced she had slept with Daemon and had the Plan B Tea delivered? Or was someone else in with the maester and had it sent? Could someone else have sent a messenger to the maester and made it seem like it was from the king? As naive as the king is I took it as he believed his daughter but the maesters visit totally threw me off and I was trying to figure out who would have sent him to take care of her Cole problem.
Maybe Alicent it as a just in case?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Phrasing
AG
I'm thinking Maysaria (sp?) is a spy for Otto. The kid that saw them in the brothel was definitely (in my opinion) the same that was paid by Mysaria when Daemon was hungover in bed. It was very convenient.

And to see Daemon be such a bad ass in the last episode, and to now see him be so drunk and hungover this episode was strange. Did someone slip him something?
PatAg
AG
He seems to spend most of his time in Kings Landing drunk
CoachRTM
AG
I was watching the old Coldplay - Game of Thrones Musical video that went viral back in the day.

Just realized an Easter Egg (I think) that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

The song Jaime Lannister sings about his incestuous relationship with Cersei is called "Closer to Home". (YouTube video below should be time stamped at 9:44)

Didn't the hand suggest that the Princess look a little "closer to to home" when he suggested that the Princess marry her much younger brother?

Might be stretching a little bit as that's a fairly common phrase, but I laughed out loud when I put it together.

CondensedFogAggie
All I know is that Alicent is the most loyal, warm hearted, and honest person in the entire realm.

Sucks that she was basically forced to marry someone as a pawn even if that was the King. I hope she doesn't end up a tragedy.
AgE2theBONE
AG
I thought they made it clear that the "new line of work" that Mysara has taken up is spy for Otto, specifically spying and reporting on anything Daemon related.

The boy delivered the news for her and then delivered payment to Mysara.

I don't believe Otto referred to his source as "she," though. I had subtitles on and I don't think he referred to the source by any gendered pronoun. I'll have to double check that.

It's odd to me they'd expect us to think he's impotent by referring to a scene with Mysara in which he was pounding her 90mph. I assumed he discontinued because he was so distracted over concern that Aemma would bear a son.

It seemed to me that he didn't deflower Rhaenyra because he really does care for her and felt bad about going through with it. But he was happy to use the King's mistaken belief that he had in order to persuade him to wed the two of them.

Hats off to Rhaenyra for turning the tables on Otto. Got a little taste of his own manipulative medicine.

Unless my memory's fuzzy, they changed the manner of death for Baelon, as Viserys referred to his belly bursting. I think in Fire and Blood he caught an arrow or a bolt in the neck. Anybody remember?

I think I enjoyed this episode most of the first four, and I've liked them all.

Big high five to Little Lord Blackwood. That loudmouth jerk won't be calling anybody else "****."
C@LAg
AgE2theBONE said:

Unless my memory's fuzzy, they changed the manner of death for Baelon, as Viserys referred to his belly bursting. I think in Fire and Blood he caught an arrow or a bolt in the neck. Anybody remember?

Same as book version: Burst belly / appendicitis
AgE2theBONE
AG
C@LAg said:

AgE2theBONE said:

Same as book version: Burst belly / appendicitis

Then was it his brother who caught the arrow/bolt in the neck? (Aemon?)
C@LAg
AgE2theBONE said:

Then was it his brother who caught the arrow/bolt in the neck? (Aemon?)
yes
tk for tu juan
Ser Criston Cole had the best night of his life and can't tell anyone.

Going to miss this version of Rhaenyra, Milly Alcock is doing such a good job and the character becoming one of my favorites in the GoT world
plowboy1065
S
schmidthead said:

Daemon's a habitual line stepper

Kudos
WES2006AG
AG
redline248 said:

One thought about whether or not Daemon intended for them to be seen... He took of her hat so that everyone would see her silver hair. He wanted everyone to know she was there
Walking through the brothel after he took her hat off it seemed like he was trying to build her street cred by having her seen by the common folk and having the word spread.

Of course he revealed his true intentions soon after.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.