*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,578 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
canadiaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Considering they got away with poisoning Jon Arryn and had Pycelle in their back pocket, you'd think Cersei could have dumped a bucket of the Tears of Lys into Robert's drink basically any time given how much that dummy was drinking all day long.

Technically I thought Littlefinger convinced Lysa to poison Jon Arryn and blame it on the Lannisters. I like the theory that Sweetrobin is Littlefinger's *******
AgE2theBONE
AG
canadiaggie said:

Considering they got away with poisoning Jon Arryn and had Pycelle in their back pocket, you'd think Cersei could have dumped a bucket of the Tears of Lys into Robert's drink basically any time given how much that dummy was drinking all day long.

Technically I thought Littlefinger convinced Lysa to poison Jon Arryn and blame it on the Lannisters. I like the theory that Sweetrobin is Littlefinger's *******

I'd never heard that theory and it didn't occur to me, but it's funny.

I think we'd have heard Lysa mention it--or at least the possibility of it--while she was blurting out the rundown of every despicable thing she did that launched the war of the 5 kings.

It's worth noting, imo, that Littlefinger's plan was on par with Palpatine's process for taking over the galaxy. Create a bunch of chaos and patiently await the opportunity to profit from it.

If he'd been successful, he'd have been Lord Protector of the Vale, wed to Sansa after finding a way to eliminate Jon and therefore de-facto Warden of the North, and he'd have been powerful enough for a war of conquest against the Royalists, and could've done the same thing Robert did.

He got impressively far along in that endeavor before Arya sliced his throat open.
bluefire579
AG
An ending I was kind of half rooting for was Littefinger ending up on the throne. I always envisioned it (stemming from the quote about him burning the kingdom down to rule over the ashes) as him sitting there on the Iron Throne, all the other main players either dead or fled from the realm, as the White Walkers descend on King's Landing. Littlefinger finally getting what he wants, ****ing over everyone else just to call himself king.

That might be too dark even for GRRM, but I always felt it would be absolutely fitting.
AgE2theBONE
AG
bluefire579 said:

An ending I was kind of half rooting for was Littefinger ending up on the throne. I always envisioned it (stemming from the quote about him burning the kingdom down to rule over the ashes) as him sitting there on the Iron Throne, all the other main players either dead or fled from the realm, as the White Walkers descend on King's Landing. Littlefinger finally getting what he wants, ****ing over everyone else just to call himself king.

That might be too dark even for GRRM, but I always felt it would be absolutely fitting.

Certainly doesn't sound too dark for GRRM.

I wouldn't mind seeing an alternative storyline like that.

In fact, I would absolutely read several different alternative outcomes in that universe. It would be every bit as interesting, considering what could have gone differently.
The Porkchop Express
AG
bluefire579 said:

Wow, I made a similar comment before Season 8 of a final scene with a mad Qyburn on the throne laughing while the undead mountain fights off a million wights and the Night King enters the throne room - fade to black.

Littlefinger's turn from master strategist to Jar Jar Binks in the 7th season is one of my worst memories of the series.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
bluefire579 said:

I get this but I thoroughly enjoyed his downfall with the Stark girls
bluefire579
AG
Yeah, he, Tyrion, and Varys all went south when they stopped having book material to go off of.
bluefire579
AG
Same, he definitely got what was coming to him. My idea was more just thinking thematically
The Porkchop Express
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

bluefire579 said:

Should have sent him to the wall. Murdering him in cold blood in your father's hall is something the Boltons would do.
AgE2theBONE
AG
We're all well aware of how awful things went when the source material ran out, and the decision was made to bring things to a rapid conclusion instead of doing more seasons.

Despite all of that, seeing Littlefinger on his knees as Arya ripped out his throat was satisfying.
WES2006AG
AG
bluefire579 said:

Yeah, he, Tyrion, and Varys all went south when they stopped having book material to go off of.
Aria nonchalantly slitting his throat was a great moment in the series.
bluefire579
AG
Sorry to break up the actual discussion, but this got a belly laugh out of me

LPHA
AG
Fantastic
redline248
AG
bluefire579 said:

canadiaggie said:

bluefire579 said:

AgE2theBONE said:

Ned's problem was he pussed out on telling Robert that none of the kids were actually his. If he had told him that on his death bed, he would have either made Ned or Stannis the king, and the 7 kingdoms would have been run with an iron fist, all the BS squabbling kicked to the curb, and Dany wouldn't have known jack squat about how to take Westeros because Varya and Tyrion's asses would have been dead or at the Wall.

True.

Ned screwed up by not supporting Robert to deal with Dany. And he screwed up by not telling Robert his kids weren't really his. And made both those mistakes out of fear of kids being killed.

Instead, countless thousands were killed.

Nice job Eddard.
That's not true. He was going to tell Robert, but Robert got gored by a hog before he could tell him. His mistake was telling Cersei what he knew with the thought she'd flee the city, when instead she orchestrated Robert's death, gathered power, and took control of the throne.

The crazy part is that Cersei's plot to have Robert killed was just to get him really drunk and HOPE something went wrong during the hunt.

Am I forgetting something in the book? Was there a contingency?
I don't believe so, but then again, we only get Cersei chapters starting in book 3 or 4, so we don't know her mindset, we only have Lancel's confession in book 2. It looking like an accident was always key.
I seem to recall that she had the goofy Lannister squire put milk of the poppy or something in his wine to make sure he was good and f-d up. Still kind of amounts to hoping, though.
redline248
AG
Lol, man I like Rhaenyra and think the actress is doing an excellent job. She really is a classic hot or not, though.
KidDoc
AG
Just caught up on the series and thread after a trip. I'm loving it but Daemon's big charge was dumb. I get why they did it and such but it required marvel level of suspension of reality.

Are we sure crab feeder had grayscale? I thought he had burn scars from past dragon encounters and that was why he was more cautious about the sky when Daemon was charging.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgE2theBONE
AG
KidDoc said:

Just caught up on the series and thread after a trip. I'm loving it but Daemon's big charge was dumb. I get why they did it and such but it required marvel level of suspension of reality.

Are we sure crab feeder had grayscale? I thought he had burn scars from past dragon encounters and that was why he was more cautious about the sky when Daemon was charging.

He may not have had grayscale in the show. He did in the source material.
bluefire579
AG
It definitely looked like greyscale to me
KidDoc
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

KidDoc said:

He may not have had grayscale in the show. He did in the source material.
Thanks for the response. I've only read the original GoT stuff, not the later stuff he wrote instead of finishing the saga.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Icecream_Ag
S

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

bluefire579 said:

Should have sent him to the wall. Murdering him in cold blood in your father's hall is something the Boltons would do.
he was executed for crimes against the Starks, though technically Sansa should have wielded the blade to be true to Ned's beliefs of the one passing judgement should wield the blade. It's very much something that the Starks would have done to a traitor.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

bluefire579 said:

he was executed for crimes against the Starks, though technically Sansa should have wielded the blade to be true to Ned's beliefs of the one passing judgement should wield the blade. It's very much something that the Starks would have done to a traitor.
But not in the hall of their forefathers.
AgE2theBONE
AG

Icecream_Ag said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

bluefire579 said:

But not in the hall of their forefathers.

True, they should have taken him outside and beheaded him.

But the show had gone so far off the rails at that point that it didn't even occur to me at that time that they likely wouldn't have just slit his throat in their great hall.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Yeah it's a small quibbble in the grand scheme of bizarre decisions. I just remember thinking how far gone that was from the way the Starks handled their affairs.
SockDePot

Yeah it's a small quibbble in the grand scheme of bizarre decisions. I just remember thinking how far gone that was from the way the Starks handled their affairs.

Didn't really work out for them, the way Starks handled their affairs.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Teddy Perkins
AG
Good politics heavy episode and not just because all the nudity. Things bout to go off once the king bites it.
HossAg
AG
Well that was a lot
canadiaggie
AG
Daemon
CFTXAG10
AG
Rhanera was on a mission for Sir Criston
plowboy1065
S
Ol Unc got her all worked up and couldn't seal the deal
Jimmy McNulty
AG
I assumed daemon intentionally didn't go through with it and assumed Rhy would have to lie to cover up the truth.
The Dog Lord
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

I assumed daemon intentionally didn't go through with it and assumed Rhy would have to lie to cover up the truth.

I thought it was intentional as well, but that is definitely not what they said in the Inside the Episode piece
Teddy Perkins
AG
The post episode discussion mentioned Daemon couldn't go through with it because of his impotence. When watching I got the vibe that he didn't go through with it because he knew he shouldn't.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Jimmy McNulty said:

I thought it was intentional as well, but that is definitely not what they said in the Inside the Episode piece

Yep I then saw that too. There was a lot of ways they could have gone with that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.