*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,269 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
AgE2theBONE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Ptolemies of Egypt had a similar problem.

They wed siblings and cousins when necessary to try to prevent rival claimants to the throne but they had plenty of them anyway. In fact that's precisely what was happening in Egypt when Caesar showed up in pursuit of Pompey.
G Martin 87
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

So for the intro, I got the obvious reference to bloodlines, but we're the cogs supposed to actually be anything, like how GOT would show which locations would show up?
I interpreted the intro to be a representation of the Targaryen bloodline flowing from king to king. Each cog had a crown on it.
will25u
G Martin 87 said:

So for the intro, I got the obvious reference to bloodlines, but we're the cogs supposed to actually be anything, like how GOT would show which locations would show up?
I interpreted the intro to be a representation of the Targaryen bloodline flowing from king to king. Each cog had a crown on it.
Emergency Awesome did a great breakdown of the new intro.

It is the bloodline/family tree of the Targaryens on the Ancient Valyrian Freehold starting with Doom of Valyria, Aegon's Conquest, Aegon the Conqueror, etc until you get to Rhaenyra.

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Another question for those more in the know, what was the point of putting the dragon egg in the fancy Dutch oven? Just for protection purposes?
redline248
AG
They are dragon eggs and are used to having a fire breathing creature sit on them...they like to be warm? Just a guess
C@LAg

Another question for those more in the know, what was the point of putting the dragon egg in the fancy Dutch oven? Just for protection purposes?
keeps them viable.

remember, Dany had the kick start the "fossilized" ones in the first season of GoT by walking into the fire with them.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Haha I figured that, but is it required to get them to hatch more predictably or something like that?

Daemon wasn't protecting it that way, and as we saw from GOT, Dany's eggs were not heated up like that for centuries.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Matt Smith looks like a guy whose chromosomes might not be entirely squared away. But that actually makes him a good Targ
DannyDuberstein
AG
The actress playing Rhaenyra is kind of in the same boat

We can cast y'all in House of the Dragon… or Deliverance 2
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

Haha I figured that, but is it required to get them to hatch more predictably or something like that?

Daemon wasn't protecting it that way, and as we saw from GOT, Dany's eggs were not heated up like that for centuries.
Dany's eggs were thought to be rocks basically and just given as a gift. Until she took them into the fire
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Matt Smith looks like a guy whose chromosomes might not be entirely squared away. But that actually makes him a good Targ

And a good British royal
Vince Blake
Just finished episode 2. Gotta say that this has been a very solid offering so far. By far exceeding my expectations. Cast, visuals, music has all been spot on.

Never would have thought Matt "Dr. Who" Smith could pull this role off but he's been nails.
OnlyForNow
AG
Knowing what those of us that read Fire and Blood know, the finality of the decision works well for them in the end.
Rocagnante
AG
Vince Blake said:

Just finished episode 2. Gotta say that this has been a very solid offering so far. By far exceeding my expectations. Cast, visuals, music has all been spot on.

Never would have thought Matt "Dr. Who" Smith could pull this role off but he's been nails.

Totally agree. Feels like early season Game of Thrones.
The Porkchop Express
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Knowing what those of us that read Fire and Blood know, the finality of the decision works well for them in the end.

Oh look at me, I am fluent in written English!
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
AgE2theBONE
AG
OnlyForNow said:

I wish you'd quote the post because I have no idea what you're responding to and it looks like it's on a previous page.
easttexasaggie04
AG

deer corn
This show needs a snarky creature that gives no f"*ks or a Bronn-type for comedic relief.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Episode 2 viewership actually increased from the premiere. (Just 2%, but still incredibly impressive.)

And only .1M less than GoT S8 episode 2 which got 10.3M viewers.

https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/house-of-the-dragon-episode-2-ratings-viewers-1235352102/
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
I didn't realize til right now that the actress playing Alicent Hightower also played young Wonder Woman in the 2017 film.

Which leads to the mind-bending picture of young WW with Aquaman / Alicent Hightower with Khal Drogo

mazzag
AG
C@LAg said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

C@LAg said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Matt Smith is a solid tier above the rest of this cast.
I still have no clue who he is or why people know him…but he is doing well and I felt he physically looked less "weird" today. Last week I thought he almost looked alien like

Never watched a single episode of that entire series so that would explain that…has he been in anything else?
The Crown

Good lowered he's aged and been in the gym. Good for him.
OnlyForNow
AG
It's on the previous page.

It's about why the king marries Allicent and Not Leanae = Aegon I and knowing this leads to Rheanea marrying The Valeriaon male leading to their kids and the war that ensues.
BCG Disciple
AG
Odd to show the Viserys being cut, then the infection and maggots. Haven't read the books, but have to think this comes into play.
Phrasing
AG
When we see the first cut on his back, Viserys said "it was from sitting on the Iron Throne". Then we saw him get cut on his finger again from the iron throne at the end of Ep 1. This episode we saw the infection on his finger and them trying to cure it with maggots.

I'm not a book reader, so I have no clue, but I think it's symbolism that he's not fit to be a ruler and the iron throne eventually kills him - both figuratively and literally.
OnlyForNow
AG
In one of the books, one of the Targ Kings continuously cuts himself by accident on the throne, and it ends up playing a major role in his health decline and, if I remember correctly, his death.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

It annoys me they didn't just call it House of Dragons to keep the same theme going with Game of Thrones.

Then you can all the Jon Snow series "Dream of Spring", etc.
CoppellAg93
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

The actress playing Rhaenyra is kind of in the same boat

We can cast y'all in House of the Dragon… or Deliverance 2
Totally keep thinking of this guy when either of them is shown ...

The Porkchop Express
AG
Good interview with the actress who plays Alicent on approaching her relationship with Viserys given their age gap

https://ew.com/tv/house-of-the-dragon-alicent-viserys-emily-carey-interview/

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Book spoilers in that article with no warning, FYI.
Lathspell
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Thanks. I was about to read it.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Are you talking about the part that also reads "That much has been confirmed ahead of the premiere,"?

There is nothing in there that isn't shown in the preview for Episode 3.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I always avoid those.
The Porkchop Express
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I always avoid those.
OK well, there are multiple posts in this thread referencing the trailer for the next episode.
boy09
AG
Phrasing said:

When we see the first cut on his back, Viserys said "it was from sitting on the Iron Throne". Then we saw him get cut on his finger again from the iron throne at the end of Ep 1. This episode we saw the infection on his finger and them trying to cure it with maggots.

I'm not a book reader, so I have no clue, but I think it's symbolism that he's not fit to be a ruler and the iron throne eventually kills him - both figuratively and literally.
This was discussed in the "Behind the Scenes" commentary after episode 1. You interpreted it correctly.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.