*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,571 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
HossAg said:

I'm gonna be bummed when Rhaenyra changes actresses. She's been solid so far.
Wait, what? Why???
Swarely
Time jump at some point I think.
easttexasaggie04
AG
So why is the hightower girl doing that to her fingers? I think there's more to that. I realize she does it when she's nervous but it seems odd they focus so much on it.
WES2006AG
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

So why is the hightower girl doing that to her fingers? I think there's more to that. I realize she does it when she's nervous but it seems odd they focus so much on it.
I think she knows her fathers intentions and her role in these political games and the pressure is getting to her. I would imagine that will only get worse.
easttexasaggie04
AG

Definitely Not A Cop
AG
So for the intro, I got the obvious reference to bloodlines, but we're the cogs supposed to actually be anything, like how GOT would show which locations would show up?
easttexasaggie04
AG
Probably so but it all went over my head.
scoodogg
AG
I tried to use spoiler tags, just in case, but they weren't working around the image.

CFTXAG10
AG
HossAg said:

I'm gonna be bummed when Rhaenyra changes actresses. She's been solid so far.
On the other hand, I am not gonna be bummed when we time jump for Laena Velaryon....

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To me it felt like there was genuine affection for Alicent there. (If not actual sexual attraction.)

It seemed like he was able to open himself to her in a way he wasn't able to do with anyone else. So I get the decision, dumb as it may be. Plus the fact that although young, she's not an actual child. (I'm not sure if Alicent feels the same or is just a very good manipulator.)

Either way, I think this is a very "Stark" decision that will undoubtedly be the catalyst for the rest of the series, which is a bummer because I don't think the choice itself, divorced from the political situation, was a "bad" one.
The Porkchop Express
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Are you new to the TexAgs Entertainment board?

On every TV show thread on this forum, discussions about an ongoing show are open regarding any aired episode. If it's based on another medium, and you know spoilers for future episodes, then you spoiler tag them. I don't understand why that is hard to not just assume.

You should also be spoiler tagging any begin the scenes reporting from insiders.

Really, unless you are a sociopath, it shouldn't be hard to know what to wrap in a spoiler tag.
I just wanted to know if it made more sense to start a second thread or just hit everything with the spoiler tag. Sorry it caused such an uproar.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
combat wombat™
AG
Oh yeah, I absolutely get his attraction. She's pretty, she's kind, she says it seems at least somewhat intelligent. But he doesn't want to remarry and is only doing so for political reasons. The show didn't mention it being part of his reasoning but he can start producing heirs much faster with Alicent than he can with Leana.

You would think that he would have tried to soften the blow with Corlis by explaining this.
The Porkchop Express
AG
combat wombat said:

Oh yeah, I absolutely get his attraction. She's pretty, she's kind, she says it seems at least somewhat intelligent. But he doesn't want to remarry and is only doing so for political reasons. The show didn't mention it being part of his reasoning but he can start producing heirs much faster with Alicent than he can with Leana.

You would think that he would have tried to soften the blow with Corlis by explaining this.
Yeah he has to be a real dummy to not see the value of having a private talk with the Sea Snake and his cousin beforehand and offering them something else in exchange for their support of the marriage - land, titles, a guarantee of attacking the Triarchy.

Even more so with your own daughter, especially since he made it clear beforehand that he and Alicent's talks were not something Rhaenyra knew about.

EDIT: He doesn't get that yes, the King does what he wants, but he should all the little things behind the scenes so it looks like everyone agrees with him when he announces it publicly.

Funny that when he mentioned sending Daemon to the Wall, I hadn't thought about the Wall at all during the first 2 episodes.
javajaws
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

combat wombat said:

Yeah he has to be a real dummy to not see the value of having a private talk with the Sea Snake and his cousin beforehand and offering them something else in exchange for their support of the marriage - land, titles, a guarantee of attacking the Triarchy.

Even more so with your own daughter, especially since he made it clear beforehand that he and Alicent's talks were not something Rhaenyra knew about.

EDIT: He doesn't get that yes, the King does what he wants, but he should all the little things behind the scenes so it looks like everyone agrees with him when he announces it publicly.

Funny that when he mentioned sending Daemon to the Wall, I hadn't thought about the Wall at all during the first 2 episodes.
I see this as a failure in the script, not the character. They very much did this not only for the sake of ratcheting up the plot pressure but also for the impact it would have on the viewer and not a reflection of what he actually would have done (or how he would have done it). It was a bit of a cheap shot by the writers IMO.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
LB12Diamond
AG
The only thing in this episode I didn't like was that his mistress was left in the dark with his plan and was out there with him during the confrontation.

OK

I understand him not telling her and I understand her reaction after she found out.

I don't understand her being dressed up like a future Queen and going out there. They show her to have street smarts of course, one would think she would be questioning why is she being asked to do that.

Anyway, just a small nitpick.
The Porkchop Express
AG
javajaws said:

combat wombat said:

I see this as a failure in the script, not the character. They very much did this not only for the sake of ratcheting up the plot pressure but also for the impact it would have on the viewer and not a reflection of what he actually would have done (or how he would have done it). It was a bit of a cheap shot by the writers IMO.
That's an interesting take. I think they've done a good job of showing him as a decent caretaker for the Iron Throne but nothing to the point of what the Targ standard previously had been, especially with his own grandfather (Jahaerys). His main goal seems to be not having a war start and keeping everyone reasonably happy, without realizing that when you're not No.1 (the King), you're always trying to move up. He should have done what his grandfather did and have a great council to determine who would be his heir until such time as another heir is produced.
redline248
AG
Took me a little bit to realize you were taking about Daemon
will25u
I feel like Alicent already knew. Why else would she have been there. She has not been in any other small council meetings that we have seen.

She also looked nervous before he said anything and was nervously messing with her hands.

Everyone else should have been wary of why she was there.

ETA: Oops. I misread your post, and was slow on the uptake that you were talking about Daemon as well.
bobinator
AG
Overall I liked this episode also, but yes, that scene was bad.
Max Power
AG
Enjoying this show so far, the only thing letting me down is the dialogue. It's not up there with what we experienced with GOT. No characters like Tyrion or Littlefinger that are infinitely quotable. I know the source material is written as a history text, not a novel so they don't have that to draw from like GOT did until the books ran out. I just hope they can step up their game in that aspect.
Quad Dog
AG
They referenced a 6 month time jump from episode 1 to episode 2. I wonder if that pace will keep up the rest of the season.
bobinator
AG
I think the time jumping is going to hurt the character-building/dialogue aspect of this show a bit.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Quad Dog said:

They referenced a 6 month time jump from episode 1 to episode 2. I wonder if that pace will keep up the rest of the season.
I caught that but also heard them say Princess was 15...but I thought at the beginning she was supposed to be 13
AgE2theBONE
AG
LB41Diamond said:

So the King gets advised by everyone to do one thing and he goes another route. Now of course we know why to make better twists for the show but what's his rational for bringing stability. That he will have a male heir?

Edward IV of England did much the same thing and it led to war/bloodshed and his being temporarily overthrown and Henry VI being placed back on the throne.

So it's not just something that happens as a plot device.
WES2006AG
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

LB41Diamond said:

So the King gets advised by everyone to do one thing and he goes another route. Now of course we know why to make better twists for the show but what's his rational for bringing stability. That he will have a male heir?

Edward IV of England did much the same thing and it led to war/bloodshed and his being temporarily overthrown and Henry VI being placed back on the throne.

So it's not just something that happens as a plot device.
Not to mention we are already seeing the consequences of his foolish choice with the Sea Snake meeting with Daemon to form an alliance.
AgE2theBONE
AG
easttexasaggie04 said:

My first thought during the first episode when seeing her chew and pick her fingernails to bleeding was that she was an abuse victim, likely molestation by her father.
bobinator
AG
I imagine it's also going to be a way to visually tie the characters together after the time jump.
AgE2theBONE
AG
I agree with something others have mentioned. Viserys could've told the Sea Snake, "You married a Targaryen princess, dude. Our houses are already united."

But, she was the daughter of Viserys' uncle (Aemon), the elder son of Jahearys, while Viserys is the son of Baelon, the younger brother, so in this case I'm sure "uniting the houses" means producing an heir to throne from both families.
will25u
ETA: Looks like next episode is going to pick up the action a lot more. And a pretty big time jump of at least a year or more.

combat wombat™
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

I agree with something others have mentioned. Viserys could've told the Sea Snake, "You married a Targaryen princess, dude. Our houses are already united."

But, she was the daughter of Viserys' uncle (Aemon), the elder son of Jahearys, while Viserys is the son of Baelon, the younger brother, so in this case I'm sure "uniting the houses" means producing an heir to throne from both families.
She (should have) had the stronger claim, except that she didn't have a weiner.
The Porkchop Express
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

If you can get past the frequent incest, the earlier part of the F&B book (no spoilers) makes a point that a weakness of the Targs over time was that there starting being too many of them and they had to start marrying other Houses to get everyone wives/husbands and children.

When they were fewer in #, and every living Targ had their own dragon, and most people only saw them from high on a balcony at the castle or riding said dragon, they were able to perpetuate the myths about themselves that they were closer to Gods than Men, and maybe even immortal.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The girlfriend made a joke last night about the big enemy so far being Crab People.

The song actually sounds like it could be in Westeros
LB12Diamond
AG
Yes, sorry for the confusion. Didn't think about the similarities bc the kings wife was gone.

Guess I'm going to have to learn to spell their names if I plan on interacting in this thread.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG

AgE2theBONE said:

If you can get past the frequent incest, the earlier part of the F&B book (no spoilers) makes a point that a weakness of the Targs over time was that there starting being too many of them and they had to start marrying other Houses to get everyone wives/husbands and children.

When they were fewer in #, and every living Targ had their own dragon, and most people only saw them from high on a balcony at the castle or riding said dragon, they were able to perpetuate the myths about themselves that they were closer to Gods than Men, and maybe even immortal.

I would think it would be easier to keep the line pure by marrying distant cousins and still keep it "all in the family" in that realm I'm surprised the marriage offering wasn't between Princess Rhaenyrs and the Seas Snake's son
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

I would think it would be easier to keep the line pure by marrying distant cousins and still keep it "all in the family" in that realm I'm surprised the marriage offering wasn't between Princess Rhaenyrs and the Seas Snake's son
Good point, this would've made a hell of a lot more sense. But, I suppose they know Viserys will remarry and don't want to risk their own heir being pushed out of line.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.