*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,319 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I really like Daemon as a character.
HossAg
AG
This show is so good
Sazerac
AG
Sloooooow
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ApachePilot
AG
I'm really enjoying this show so far.
HossAg
AG
I'm gonna be bummed when Rhaenyra changes actresses. She's been solid so far.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
If they do a Ghostbusters II reboot and need a Vigo the Carpathian, Matt Smith could pull it off.
PatAg
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be fair we're only two episodes in. By that point in GoT the only character we really liked was Ned. Not even Tyrion had shown much likability quite yet outside of slapping Joffrey.
Hell... that was enough to get me to like him.

But even getting a single character like Ned is still an accomplishment. I don't think it's "fair" to say we shouldn't expect a great character after 2 hours of media. Movies do it all the time in that time frame, and many times less.

Edit: That's not to say they can't do it. I'm saying they haven't done it yet.
I think you don't truly remember how you felt after 2 episodes of Game of Thrones.
agrams
AG
I can't get over the fact that i swear Daemon looks like the younger version or son of Vigo from ghostbusters two:

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Four Seasons Landscaping said:

Matt Smith is a solid tier above the rest of this cast.
I still have no clue who he is or why people know him…but he is doing well and I felt he physically looked less "weird" today. Last week I thought he almost looked alien like
C@LAg
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I still have no clue who he is or why people know him…but he is doing well and I felt he physically looked less "weird" today. Last week I thought he almost looked alien like

Lonestar_Ag09
AG
DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

To be fair we're only two episodes in. By that point in GoT the only character we really liked was Ned. Not even Tyrion had shown much likability quite yet outside of slapping Joffrey.

But even getting a single character like Ned is still an accomplishment. I don't think it's "fair" to say we shouldn't expect a great character after 2 hours of media. Movies do it all the time in that time frame, and many times less.

Movies are only 2hrs long….why would you rush stuff in 2 hrs when you have a season that is going to be 10+hrs long and multiple seasons after?
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
C@LAg said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Never watched a single episode of that entire series so that would explain that…has he been in anything else?
C@LAg
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

C@LAg said:

Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Never watched a single episode of that entire series so that would explain that…has he been in anything else?
The Crown

canadiaggie
AG
The intro got me so hyped up.

I really like all the intrigue and politicking. Rhaenyra is likeable. Viserys is also likeable in a weird way - you want to slap him for being a massive idiot but he's personable and nice. He seems to genuinely love Rhaenyra but doesn't know how to express it or to handle her.

The conversation between Rhaenys and Rhaenyra was well acted. I want more of Rhaenys.
Lathspell
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

DallasTeleAg said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Movies are only 2hrs long….why would you rush stuff in 2 hrs when you have a season that is going to be 10+hrs long and multiple seasons after?
A good story teller doesn't have to "rush" a good character into 2 hours. I wasn't asking for a completed arc, but a good character.

Again... i've already said they could still make a character good if they are doing time jumps. All I said is they did not accomplish what they were able to do so in the first couple of episodes of GoT. I saw enough in Episodes 1 and 2 of GoT to know Ned was a great character.
InternetFan02
AG
Viserys = Ned Stark - well intentioned but dumb as ****

Rhaenyra = Arya+Dany - great combo

Corlys the Sea Snake Valyrion> Lady Tyrell Queen of Thornes - crowd favorite badasses

Daemon < Jamie Lannister

HOTD Grand Maester < Grand Maester Pycelle

Alicent Hightower = Margaery Tyrell+Sansa Stark

No one yet that can compare to Tyrion, Tywin, Jon, the Baratheons Varys or Littlefinger - this world seems smaller but we'll give it time. Too many at the small council don't stand out...GOT had a murderers row small council

tk for tu juan
That was awesome.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
CapCityAg89
AG
Really glad we got the theme and opening again. I'm unsure of the scope of the season/series but the book was multi-generations.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Don't forget Morbius.

redline248
AG
Well, the guy making this show sure knows what the hell he is doing so far. Daemon is great b/c no one really knows where his loyalty is. Sea Snake got a pretty open threat from him, though.

Rhaenyra is great, but I think for a lot of people she's going to get compared to Daenerys too much. That's unfortunate, because she's a G.

Otto is worse than Littlefinger. I hate him
The Porkchop Express
AG
Great to hear the theme again, although we had no idea what we were watching other than blood flowing.

Is this a spoiler-free thread or a spoilers in highlights thread or what? Do we have to split it for Book Readers / nons? Just curious before I say something stupid.

What I rather like is that most of the characters are pretty likable so far. Much like any show, you know that you'll look back at these first few episodes as "the time everyone was together" before all the splinters and rifts, but now everyone is pretty on point. The only character I dislike is Daemon's ***** - too much Shae-ish qualities.

The inclusion of a lot of terms and mythos from the books being included here is really scratching me where I itch, namely the really great shot of the Seven in the sept when Alicent and Rhaenyra are praying, the mention of names like Mallister and Segard, Criston Cole talking about fighting in the Boneway of the Dornish Marshes, and lots of other small details. Having the naming of a new member of the Kingsguard with something akin to tryouts/auditions, likewise, feels like something we really missed out on in the original show.

Viserys is pretty fascinating because he's our first Targ who is not bellicose or power hungry or anything like that, but generally good, despite his dumb mistakes. Not running the idea to marry Alicent past his own daughter or the Sea Snake before hand was pretty colossal.

My wife, who has not read Fire & Blood, proclaimed Daemon to be "Jamie Lannister with Cersei's ambition". Pretty decent analysis. Great with a sword, fearless, and power hungry, although maybe not the smartest at it.

My only 'meh' is the same from reading the book version of this (no spoilers) in that if there was really some pirate raiding the Stepstones and causing grief to one of our strongest allies, you take a couple of dragons, fly down there, and burn the fleet to ash, and you're back home for dinner. Why bother with all the alliances and BS, just smoke them.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Great to hear the theme again, although we had no idea what we were watching other than blood flowing.

Is this a spoiler-free thread or a spoilers in highlights thread or what? Do we have to split it for Book Readers / nons? Just curious before I say something stupid.

What I rather like is that most of the characters are pretty likable so far. Much like any show, you know that you'll look back at these first few episodes as "the time everyone was together" before all the splinters and rifts, but now everyone is pretty on point. The only character I dislike is Daemon's ***** - too much Shae-ish qualities.

The inclusion of a lot of terms and mythos from the books being included here is really scratching me where I itch, namely the really great shot of the Seven in the sept when Alicent and Rhaenyra are praying, the mention of names like Mallister and Segard, Criston Cole talking about fighting in the Boneway of the Dornish Marshes, and lots of other small details. Having the naming of a new member of the Kingsguard with something akin to tryouts/auditions, likewise, feels like something we really missed out on in the original show.

Viserys is pretty fascinating because he's our first Targ who is not bellicose or power hungry or anything like that, but generally good, despite his dumb mistakes. Not running the idea to marry Alicent past his own daughter or the Sea Snake before hand was pretty colossal.

My wife, who has not read Fire & Blood, proclaimed Daemon to be "Jamie Lannister with Cersei's ambition". Pretty decent analysis. Great with a sword, fearless, and power hungry, although maybe not the smartest at it.

My only 'meh' is the same from reading the book version of this (no spoilers) in that if there was really some pirate raiding the Stepstones and causing grief to one of our strongest allies, you take a couple of dragons, fly down there, and burn the fleet to ash, and you're back home for dinner. Why bother with all the alliances and BS, just smoke them.

I personally hate spoilers. Most on here have been using FBI sharpies on them and it is appreciated personally.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I enjoyed seeing Daemon pull a classic "only I can talk **** about my brother". Shows he still loves and cares for his family. He is not just a villain.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm pretty sure you know the answer, you just wanted to let us all know you read the book.

Here's your gold star.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I don't know the answer that is why I asked. Spoiler tags or start a second thread?
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's my question. The point of marrying the girl to Viserys was uniting their houses, but the guy's wife is already a Targaryen, so isn't that already done?
redline248
AG
I guess the same way your family is aligned with your cousin's. Also, in a male dominated world Corlys's name takes precedent over Targaryen.

But really, it's just him trying to get closer to the throne
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, I guess it just seemed like a very transparent attempt at that given that he was already allied with the Targs and just wanted his grandkids on the throne.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I don't know the answer that is why I asked. Spoiler tags or start a second thread?
I commented this once but this is my answer. And 4 folks agreed

"I personally hate spoilers. Most on here have been using FBI sharpies on them and it is appreciated personally."
LB12Diamond
AG
So the King gets advised by everyone to do one thing and he goes another route. Now of course we know why to make better twists for the show but what's his rational for bringing stability. That he will have a male heir?
Lathspell
AG
Are you new to the TexAgs Entertainment board?

On every TV show thread on this forum, discussions about an ongoing show are open regarding any aired episode. If it's based on another medium, and you know spoilers for future episodes, then you spoiler tag them. I don't understand why that is hard to not just assume.

You should also be spoiler tagging any begin the scenes reporting from insiders.

Really, unless you are a sociopath, it shouldn't be hard to know what to wrap in a spoiler tag.
combat wombat™
AG
The Hand, Otto, is a traitorous weasel. He clearly put his own family's interests above what was best for the king and the kingdom. Marrying Leana he would have been the better move, strategically speaking. He would have married someone whose mother had a very high claim to the throne, would have united two very strong houses, and he would've gotten the backing of one of the wealthiest houses out there. It's creepy that she's only 12, but they would have waited until she was "of age" to consummate the marriage or so we're led to believe. This poses a problem because he's been pushed to marry immediately so that he can start making additional more heirs.

He doesn't want to get remarried. The only reason he's getting remarried is for political reasons. But rather than make the better political choice he follows his heart. The only thing the Hightower girl had over Leana is that she can provide heirs immediately.
Four Seasons Landscaping
No Viserys in SNL "second wife" show clips yet?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.