*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,331 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
deer corn said:

I call BS. Drogon was as big as Daemon's dragon or bigger.
The link i posted above, or his intro to HotD he goes over who rides which dragon.

This scale that someone posted before compares their sizes.

Balerion was the Kings dragon
Vhagar is ridden by "the queen who never was" daughter
Seasmoke is ridden by her son
Meleys if I recall is her dragon
Caraxes is Daemons
Syrax is Raenyrs or however you spell it

I believe I heard somewhere there are currently 10 dragons in existance
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

JJxvi
AG
Grey Ghost? Glad to see the way people named their pets clearly doesn't change in 200 years...
CFTXAG10
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So freaking Google auto complete spoiled me yesterday to the fact that Rhaeneyra dies at some point.

Similar thing happened when I googled Vecna from Stranger Things. I hate it.
I unfortunately got spoilers by looking at a Targaryen family tree, but that was on me for being an idiot
tk for tu juan
bearamedic99 said:

To be faiiiir...
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Or, you know, Google could not put spoilers in their autocomplete. But yes I have learned my lesson now twice over.
https://play.typeracer.com/
Gotta get some reps in so autocomplete doesnt have a chance to start
AgE2theBONE
AG
I was trying to tell exactly how many knights were killed during the tourney. It seemed like it could have been several but also could've numerous cuts of the same 4 guys, I'm not sure.

I didn't like it either, but I have no problem believing it could happen if the King's not there and there's no one to stop these guys from going after each other. Knights died in the melee all the time, I honestly don't know how common it was when the challenge proceeded on foot after somebody getting de-horsed.

I also didn't like Daemon tripping his opponent's horse. No prince would disgrace himself that way. I don't think, anyway.

I still loved the episode.

Prosperdick
AG
The Debt said:

MaroonStain said:

For real. Why would a brother boff his sister? It's Westeros not West Virginia...

Grrm kinda made it a weirder gray area. It wasn't incest persay, but weird twin narcissism and self-masturbashun. Jaime loved himself, if the image in the mirror had a vergina, he would fk it. Same for cersie. They look at each other and see everything they desire, sexually, and its themselves.

That's what makes Jaimes arc interesting. Once his majestic beauty and prowess with the sword are taken from him, he undergoes this massive crisis. And the end of the arc is his narcissism is gone and he starts acting selflessly.

Remember when the pauper-pope gave Cersie the speech about the furniture stripped of its finery...she never got the message. She stayed on that path.

But the showrunners just said to hell with jaimes character for 7 seasons, he is going to run back to someone he is axiomatically opposite of on the 11th hour because *reasons*.

Also remember when Jaime learned she was fking their cousin, Lancel, he realized she didn't really love him, she loved herself and Lancel was the closest physically to Jaime(Cersie).
To me that was the most egregious error of that abortion of a final season. They spent the ENTIRE series building up Jaime's redemptive arc only to take a gigantic **** on it the final season.

I have to believe GRRM was building up to Jamie finally killing Cersie, especially with all the prophetic warnings and to end them the way they did on the show was so lazy and clumsy it pi$$es me off just thinking about it.
AgE2theBONE
AG
Prosperdick said:

The Debt said:

MaroonStain said:

For real. Why would a brother boff his sister? It's Westeros not West Virginia...

Grrm kinda made it a weirder gray area. It wasn't incest persay, but weird twin narcissism and self-masturbashun. Jaime loved himself, if the image in the mirror had a vergina, he would fk it. Same for cersie. They look at each other and see everything they desire, sexually, and its themselves.

That's what makes Jaimes arc interesting. Once his majestic beauty and prowess with the sword are taken from him, he undergoes this massive crisis. And the end of the arc is his narcissism is gone and he starts acting selflessly.

Remember when the pauper-pope gave Cersie the speech about the furniture stripped of its finery...she never got the message. She stayed on that path.

But the showrunners just said to hell with jaimes character for 7 seasons, he is going to run back to someone he is axiomatically opposite of on the 11th hour because *reasons*.

Also remember when Jaime learned she was fking their cousin, Lancel, he realized she didn't really love him, she loved herself and Lancel was the closest physically to Jaime(Cersie).
To me that was the most egregious error of that abortion of a final season. They spent the ENTIRE series building up Jaime's redemptive arc only to take a gigantic **** on it the final season.

I have to believe GRRM was building up to Jamie finally killing Cersie, especially with all the prophetic warnings and to end them the way they did on the show was so lazy and clumsy it pi$$es me off just thinking about it.

There really isn't a way to overstate how awfully they ended that series. One would think you'd have to be trying to make it that bad.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I don't even remember, did they die in each others arms?
AgE2theBONE
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

I don't even remember, did they die in each others arms?

Yes, crushed by the collapse of the Red Keep.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
will25u said:

canadiaggie said:

JJxvi said:

Quote:

There's been peace for more than 60 years at this point, so the thought process is probably a little different than if there was a perceived threat on the immediate horizon.
No way. These also arent the king's men alone, but knights and sons of all his underlings. There certainly wouldnt be 50 years of peace in the realm if like Every time theres a tournament some Stark son is axing a Lannister in the face.
I didn't see the sigils for the knights that were fighting but it's not out of the realm of possibility that these were a bunch of hedge knights, 2nd sons, etc. rather than Lord Stark's son axing Lord Lannister's son in the face. In fact I don't think it's unrealistic at all for the "dregs" of nobility to get brutal with each other in the tournaments.

L- R

Bolton - Tyrell - Mallister - ? - Hightower - Lefford - Cole - Stark - Lannister - Baratheon - Tully - Darklyn - Tarley

bonfarr
AG
Prosperdick said:

The Debt said:

MaroonStain said:

I was completely disappointed in the final Jamie narrative. They built up the narrative that Jamie looked back on his life with regret as he was of noble blood but had never done anything noble or selfless in his life. That was evident when he read about himself in that big book of Knights and their deeds.

I thought that's why he became so close to Brienne, she lived her life bound by honor and duty and he wished he was more like her. The writers got so close and they pissed it away with the incredibly stupid move of Jamie leaving to go see his ***** sister one last time.
canadiaggie
AG
will25u said:

canadiaggie said:

JJxvi said:

Quote:

There's been peace for more than 60 years at this point, so the thought process is probably a little different than if there was a perceived threat on the immediate horizon.
No way. These also arent the king's men alone, but knights and sons of all his underlings. There certainly wouldnt be 50 years of peace in the realm if like Every time theres a tournament some Stark son is axing a Lannister in the face.
I didn't see the sigils for the knights that were fighting but it's not out of the realm of possibility that these were a bunch of hedge knights, 2nd sons, etc. rather than Lord Stark's son axing Lord Lannister's son in the face. In fact I don't think it's unrealistic at all for the "dregs" of nobility to get brutal with each other in the tournaments.

L- R

Bolton - Tyrell - Mallister - ? - Hightower - Lefford - Cole - Stark - Lannister - Baratheon - Tully - Darklyn - Tarley

The Boltons and Starks having knights present at the tourney would make me think that those are a mixture of knights - some (the Baratheon) are actually lords of that house and others are simply sworn knights.

Have the Starks ever actually had a knight in their family history?
Prosperdick
AG
bonfarr said:

Prosperdick said:

The Debt said:

MaroonStain said:

I was completely disappointed in the final Jamie narrative. They built up the narrative that Jamie looked back on his life with regret as he was of noble blood but had never done anything noble or selfless in his life. That was evident when he read about himself in that big book of Knights and their deeds.

I thought that's why he became so close to Brienne, she lived her life bound by honor and duty and he wished he was more like her. The writers got so close and they pissed it away with the incredibly stupid move of Jamie leaving to go see his ***** sister one last time.

Not before he shags Brienne, at least I think they did, I've actually blocked a lot of it out of my memory.

This was a guy who pushed a boy out of a tower window with ZERO regrets and to have the bulk of the GoT audience actively rooting for him at the end of the series was an incredible accomplishment. To piss it away like they did is unforgivable.

The show could have gone down as one of the best ever and instead will be known by its farcical ending and a *******ed Starbucks cup on the fu(king table.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I knew I recognized Viserys!

redline248
AG
canadiaggie said:

will25u said:

canadiaggie said:

JJxvi said:

Quote:

L- R

The Boltons and Starks having knights present at the tourney would make me think that those are a mixture of knights - some (the Baratheon) are actually lords of that house and others are simply sworn knights.

I don't think it technically counts since his name is not Stark, but Ser Rodrick Cassel lived almost his whole life at Winterfell. Being followers of the Old Gods, it is unlikely the Starks would have cared much about being knighted.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
No season 2 confirmed yet. Gotta think that gets greenlit soon right?
canadiaggie
AG
redline248 said:

canadiaggie said:

will25u said:

canadiaggie said:

JJxvi said:

Quote:

L- R

I don't think it technically counts since his name is not Stark, but Ser Rodrick Cassel lived almost his whole life at Winterfell. Being followers of the Old Gods, it is unlikely the Starks would have cared much about being knighted.

Yeah Cassell is the only one I can think of, and he's Stark-adjacent at best. The Manderlys have knights among themselves, but they're originally a Southern house and worship the Seven.

The Boltons also strike me as incredibly unlikely to have knights in the family, only sworn knights at most.

Reviewing the scene, the guy who gets his face exploded with a hammer is wearing the Direwolf on his armour. Definitely NOT a Stark by blood - either he's a sworn hedge knight or this is a gaffe by the directors. For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
JJxvi
AG
You don't have to be a knight to compete in a tournament. In the books, Brandon Stark rode in the tournament at Harrenhal, and from both books and tv, the Hound rode in the Tournament in honor of the Hand of the King
StinkyPinky
AG
Seems like I remember reading you only have to be sponsored by a knight. But I know Northmen have participated (i.e. Jory Cassell) and they don't have knights, so doesn't explain that.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hot Fuzz?
AgE2theBONE
AG
Bonzer103 said:

Seems like I remember reading you only have to be sponsored by a knight. But I know Northmen have participated (i.e. Jory Cassell) and they don't have knights, so doesn't explain that.

I don't recall the Hound riding in the tourney for the Hand.

I thought he was guarding the king in the stands.

Wasn't he a Kingsguard?

Edit: According to wiki he wasn't appointed to the Kingsguard until Joffrey ascended. He was guarding Joffrey during the Hand's tourney.
JJxvi
AG
What!? The Hound won the tournament!??? Was that book only?

In the Tourney of the Hand, Loras "cheats" by riding using a mare in heat against the Mountain, who then goes berserk, and the Hound intervenes when the Mountain tries to attack Loras in retaliation. Loras and the Hound were the final two riders and Loras yields the final joust, so the Hound won.... did that not happen in the show?
JJxvi
AG
Maybe in the show they just acted like Loras gave his own achievement to the Hound in gratitude only? In the books the Hound vs Loras was to be the final list. The Hound having beaten Jamie Lannister in the semifinal.
Thunder18
AG
The Hound wasn't a sworn knight in the books or show. He despised and refused knighthood because his brother was a knight and was the antithesis of all the chivalric virtues that knights were supposed to stand for.
JJxvi
AG
The other tournaments we see in the show had no jousting, but the Hound participated in the one for Joffrey's name day, and the other was a melee held by Renly Baratheon and his court which was won by another non-knight, Brienne of Tarth
The Debt
ChipFTAC01 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hot Fuzz?

Skid Marks
Capstone
AG
I'm waiting for House Rayne to be introduced into the show… and being important at the time.
StinkyPinky
AG
AgE2theBONE said:

Bonzer103 said:

I don't recall the Hound riding in the tourney for the Hand.

I thought he was guarding the king in the stands.

Wasn't he a Kingsguard?

Edit: According to wiki he wasn't appointed to the Kingsguard until Joffrey ascended. He was guarding Joffrey during the Hand's tourney.
Jory was the captain of the household guard for House Stark, and then a guard for the Hand. Not sure if you're mistaking Jory for the Hound (Sandor Clegan). Either way neither were knights. Jory was in the tournament and lost to Broon(?) only by King Roberts intervention.
canadiaggie
AG
JJxvi said:

The other tournaments we see in the show had no jousting, but the Hound participated in the one for Joffrey's name day, and the other was a melee held by Renly Baratheon and his court which was won by another non-knight, Brienne of Tarth
Wasn't there a joust in S1 of GoT where the Mountain kills Ser Hugh of the Vale?
IIRC Loras then unhorses the Mountain and that fight nearly ends with Loras' death - and that event didn't lead to a war breaking out out - and Loras was a third son of House Tyrell. It only stops when Robert commands them to stop.
canadiaggie
AG
I must have missed it - which member of the Kingsguard is the one who seems to be personally assigned to Rhaenyra?
Medina Co Ag
AG
Once Weiss and Benioff lost their playbook from GRRM, it became clear all they wanted to do was throw off the audience and their expectations from prophecies they brought up time and time again. If you don't want to follow the prophecies, don't refer to them a hundred times.

1. Prince that was Promised. So much buildup into who this was for so many seasons with Melisandre and the red priestesses, only to amount to nothing. The writing was clearly aimed to make you think this was Jon or Dany, only to change it up last minute and let Arya kill the NK. Weiss and Benioff said they chose her because nobody saw it coming. Way to go guys, you got us.

2. Who is the Night King? What did he want? Apparently they just wanted to invade Westeros for a few weeks then die. So much for the Long Night.

3. Jaime's arc. Just like previous posters said, all the buildup of Jaime fulfilling the prophesy of killing Cersei just went out the window.
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Id like to make a motion....to stop making this thread about GoT and keep it aimed at HotD please. It is a different cast, different characters, different writers, different directors different producers and GRRM is involved. Can we give it a break already?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Hot Fuzz?
Indeed. The Hound is in it too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.