*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

258,300 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Dog Lord
tjack16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I liked the premiere a lot. It was a good fast paced introduction.

Will be interesting to see the time jump.
redline248
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Sky Corrigan said:

I wasn't a fan of Paddy being cast as Viserys originally, as I mostly didn't think he looked the part of a Targaryen. After watching him for a few scenes, I instantly changed my mind. I thought he played the part
It bugged the hell out of me where I knew him from so I had to stop mid-episode to find out he was Father Hughes in Peaky Blinders. I like his performance as Viserys so far.
He was in The World's End and that's what I kept thinking

(also in Hot Fuzz and The Outsider)
javajaws
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Charlie Conway said:

The Kings Guard scene, I don't know if I caught it. Were all those people they were maiming actual criminals they knew about? Or were they just going around chopping off body parts indiscriminately to send a message to the peons?
That was the City Watch (gold cloaks) and yes, they were criminals and punished respectively to their crimes, arms for thieves and the rapist well, you know

Thanks for clarifying and correcting. At first I thought the City Watch was just doing no knock raids on all of kings landing. Then they started calling people rapists and thieves, and I wasn't sure if it was actually them just rounding up a bunch of prisoners or something.

Well I doubt those people had a trial or anything. I bet it was a case of known miscreants being called out and punished. And given their attitudes if it was debatable as to guilty or not they erred on the side of guilty.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
The Dog Lord
AG
javajaws said:

Charlie Conway said:

The Kings Guard scene, I don't know if I caught it. Were all those people they were maiming actual criminals they knew about? Or were they just going around chopping off body parts indiscriminately to send a message to the peons?
That was the City Watch (gold cloaks) and yes, they were criminals and punished respectively to their crimes, arms for thieves and the rapist well, you know

Thanks for clarifying and correcting. At first I thought the City Watch was just doing no knock raids on all of kings landing. Then they started calling people rapists and thieves, and I wasn't sure if it was actually them just rounding up a bunch of prisoners or something.

Well I doubt those people had a trial or anything. I bet it was a case of known miscreants being called out and punished. And given their attitudes if it was debatable as to guilty or not they erred on the side of guilty.
Yeah it seemed like they were known, but it was still pretty sketchy with people just pointing and saying "you're a rapist: (cuts off balls), "you're a thief" (cuts off hand), etc.
StinkyPinky
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Sky Corrigan said:

I wasn't a fan of Paddy being cast as Viserys originally, as I mostly didn't think he looked the part of a Targaryen. After watching him for a few scenes, I instantly changed my mind. I thought he played the part
It bugged the hell out of me where I knew him from so I had to stop mid-episode to find out he was Father Hughes in Peaky Blinders. I like his performance as Viserys so far.
Oh wow, good call. I also struggled trying to figure out where I had seen his face.
combat wombat™
AG
javajaws said:

Charlie Conway said:

They took the "shoot them all and let God sort them out" approach.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
combat wombat said:

javajaws said:

Charlie Conway said:

They took the "shoot them all and let God sort them out" approach.

What I immediately thought of.

BoxingAg84
redline248 said:

King's brother does what he wants
I think he Poisoned the Iron Throne. That's why that sore on Viserys Back isn't healing. He also *****ed his hand again towards the end of the episode.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I do appreciate them addressing the complaints that there is no way the iron throne is made out of 1000 swords from GOT. Seems like a major safety issue though. Maybe the Targaryens weren't mad from incest, just Tetanus.
BoxingAg84

combat wombat™
AG
BoxingAg84 said:

redline248 said:

King's brother does what he wants
I think he Poisoned the Iron Throne. That's why that sore on Viserys Back isn't healing. He also *****ed his hand again towards the end of the episode.

I don't know if he poisoned it, but when he cut himself I immediately told my husband that he was going to die from that wound.

Will he? Who knows.
agracer
AG
Charlie Conway said:

My biggest complaint is that Daemon took out the horses legs with his lance, what, I don't know a lot about jousting but I can't believe that's allowable.
That and he'd have been de-horsed by the opposing lance before the opposing horse tripped over his lance. I thought that was stupid as well.

Maybe my dislike for the Smith casting is he instantly screams privileged, slime ball that we all love to hate. That and his acting seems forced.
Aggie87
AG
theSCHW4B said:

When Otto sent his daughter to "comfort" the king, are we supposed to assume that he is wanting her to get pregnant with an heir? It was right after the council meeting to discuss the heir. Seems like a good time to make a play. Am I reading too much in to this?

Otto and Daemon clearly don't like each other. At this point all signs point to Daemon becoming King upon Viserys' death. If that were to happen, Otto would likely lose his position of importance at the very least, lose his head most likely.

So Otto sends Alicent to the King's chambers in the hopes that Viserys will be taken with her, and possibly ending up producing a son together. If that son becomes the heir to the throne, then Otto will remain in a position of power for the rest of his life.

But once Viserys declared Rhaenyra to be his successor, in theory that removed Daemon from the line of ascension, so would've eliminated Otto's concern. Though if Alicent were to bear a son, it would still ensure Otto's future power/prominence.
MaroonStain
AG
12 years into this and still no mention of wyvern vs. dragon in this thread.

#sad
redline248
AG
MaroonStain said:

#sad
you're using the wrong fantasy system
Psycho Bunny
I'm just here for hot sex scenes and gory deaths. I'm sure some where in the show, there is a story line.
The Debt
I'm just gonna point out they could bring in jaqen haqaar and it works with continuity.
MaroonStain
AG
Just trolling the Targaryen yawn fest series. At least I did hear Dondarrion name mentioned.
oragator
10 million US viewers across all platforms.

https://deadline.com/2022/08/house-of-the-dragon-premiere-ratings-10-million-viewers-1235097830/
The Debt
MaroonStain said:

#sad

GoTs went mainstream. Wyvern discussions are for people who needed someone to explain to them why the Lannister twins were wrestling in the abandoned keep.
MaroonStain
AG
For real. Why would a brother boff his sister? It's Westeros not West Virginia...
Teddy Perkins
AG
So is Melisandre around? I know this is 170 years before GOT but she looked about that old when the necklace came off.
Psycho Bunny
MaroonStain said:

For real. Why would a brother boff his sister? It's Westeros not West Virginia...
more like Alabama

BoxingAg84

pb488
AG
The Debt
MaroonStain said:

Grrm kinda made it a weirder gray area. It wasn't incest persay, but weird twin narcissism and self-masturbashun. Jaime loved himself, if the image in the mirror had a vergina, he would fk it. Same for cersie. They look at each other and see everything they desire, sexually, and its themselves.

That's what makes Jaimes arc interesting. Once his majestic beauty and prowess with the sword are taken from him, he undergoes this massive crisis. And the end of the arc is his narcissism is gone and he starts acting selflessly.

Remember when the pauper-pope gave Cersie the speech about the furniture stripped of its finery...she never got the message. She stayed on that path.

But the showrunners just said to hell with jaimes character for 7 seasons, he is going to run back to someone he is axiomatically opposite of on the 11th hour because *reasons*.

Also remember when Jaime learned she was fking their cousin, Lancel, he realized she didn't really love him, she loved herself and Lancel was the closest physically to Jaime(Cersie).
MaroonStain
AG
Targaryens were also family ****ers as well IIRC.

It was patterned after War of the Roses and the Brits had no prob chasing a sister nor cousin.
The Debt
MaroonStain said:

Targaryens were also family ****ers as well IIRC.

It was patterned after War of the Roses and the Brits had no prob chasing a sister nor cousin.

Oh I know. In fact Targs were the only ones who were allowed to to keep the dynasty pure. If they didn't the 7 kingdoms would devolve into war every few generations.
redline248
AG
Dang, Drogon tiny
MaroonStain
AG
redline248 said:

Dang, Drogon tiny

I call BS. Chart shows Drogon to be approx 5 horses and he was HUGE during the wagon train attack.
Breggy Popup
AG
MaroonStain said:

redline248 said:

Dang, Drogon tiny

I call BS. Chart shows Drogon to be approx 5 horses and he was HUGE during the wagon train attack.

Those sizes are based on book descriptions.
MaroonStain
AG
Bregxit said:

MaroonStain said:

redline248 said:

Dang, Drogon tiny

Those sizes are based on book descriptions.

I figured and was playing along.
PatAg
AG
agracer said:

Charlie Conway said:

My biggest complaint is that Daemon took out the horses legs with his lance, what, I don't know a lot about jousting but I can't believe that's allowable.
That and he'd have been de-horsed by the opposing lance before the opposing horse tripped over his lance. I thought that was stupid as well.

Maybe my dislike for the Smith casting is he instantly screams privileged, slime ball that we all love to hate. That and his acting seems forced.
My first thought would be that he is amazing at acting, because of everything you wrote.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
agracer said:

Charlie Conway said:

So the exact character he's portraying? I'm confused.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

agracer said:

Charlie Conway said:

So the exact character he's portraying? I'm confused.

He does have a sort of resting **** eating grin on his face, similar to Ramsey.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.