*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

261,286 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by The Dog Lord
PatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
will25u said:

If interested in a breakdown. Emergency Awesome does a good job of explaining what is happening and differences from the books, etc.

how does anyone have a full breakdown already
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
agracer said:

Is Matt Smith going to die soon? He seems totally miscast for this role.

He seems perfect to me. The perfect mix of looking like a Targaryen or a White Walker depending on the lighting
will25u
HBO allowed him to see the episode last week I think.
will25u
C@LAg
will25u said:

they can turn these episodes around in 8-12 hours, and the episode leaked round 10pm last night.
redline248
AG
I liked the first episode, with the exception of the tourney. I guess with the king off checking on his wife that just let everyone fight to the death?

I'm currently trying to refresh myself on the exact period we're in. I'm guessing Daemon's rebellion?
will25u
C@LAg said:

will25u said:

they can turn these episodes around in 8-12 hours, and the episode leaked round 10pm last night.

He posted a video about episode 1 three weeks ago, so it was longer ago than last week.

He obviously saw a prescreen of it. He also said he went to the premier a few days ago.
redline248
AG
Nope, Dance of the Dragons. Was my first instinct but I couldn't remember the names.
MW03
AG
Pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the first episode
BenFiasco14
AG
Pleasantly surprised how good this was.

Don't really remember much of what happens lore wise so going to try and keep it that way.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
C@LAg
redline248 said:

I liked the first episode, with the exception of the tourney. I guess with the king off checking on his wife that just let everyone fight to the death?

I'm currently trying to refresh myself on the exact period we're in. I'm guessing Daemon's rebellion?
before that. blackfire was in the kings hand this episode
XXXVII
It was good, but the pregnancy scene was a bit too much. They didn't literally need to show all that to get the point across about what was happening.

PatAg
AG
XXXVII said:

It was good, but the pregnancy scene was a bit too much. They didn't literally need to show all that to get the point across about what was happening.

They definitely really liked the transition of her screaming to the sound of the joust
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That was a great first episode. Loved that we're getting back into the political intrigue that was sorely missing from the last two seasons of GoT. Production value and acting were top notch as always.

Enjoyed the little callbacks to the GoT score by Ramin Djawadi, but I will say I missed the intro. I'm hoping that's something we're getting back in the subsequent episodes.
Urban Ag
AG
MW03 said:

Pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the first episode
Yep. Went in with zero expectations and thoroughly enjoyed it. Start to finish. I thought the tourney was freakin awesome. Dragon CGI was meh but if they are doing this right this is not about dragons so I can live with that.

Great start.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Dog Lord said:

Holy **** that was great. Not sure why anyone would think it's slow even though it's episode 1.

+1

This was the exact episode one could reasonably expect for the premiere. Setting the table, introducing our characters, etc. And it did it superbly.
PatAg
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Dog Lord said:

Holy **** that was great. Not sure why anyone would think it's slow even though it's episode 1.

+1

This was the exact episode one could reasonably expect for the premiere. Setting the table, introducing our characters, etc. And it did it superbly.
Im glad they took the time to start introducing the characters and the politics of the current world, rather than trying to just jump right to action.

I've also always been a fan of Rhys Ifans though, he was great in this episode. (Otto Hightower)
Counterpoint
AG
PatAg said:

The Dog Lord said:

Slow isn't always bad

Completely agree with both points, but how could this even be called slow? Hopefully not because of the 'splosions factor (*BCS thread callback*)!
joerobert_pete06
AG
What's up with the scene when the king was telling his heir about an attack during winter? Is this a reference to white walkers?
Noblemen06
AG
Yes - deliberately connecting this series to the original GoT series.
ChipFTAC01
AG
joerobert_pete06 said:

What's up with the scene when the king was telling his heir about an attack during winter? Is this a reference to white walkers?

Yes apparently Aegon I foresaw the winter to end all winters (season 8 of GOT) and that was kept as executive provledge passed down from heir to heir. And he thought that was around thr corner which is why he was so concerned with having a strong king/queen to be able to rally all of westerns against the threat.
Houston Lee
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

joerobert_pete06 said:

Yes apparently Aegon I foresaw the winter to end all winters (season 8 of GOT) and that was kept as executive provledge passed down from heir to heir. And he thought that was around thr corner which is why he was so concerned with having a strong king/queen to be able to rally all of westerns against the threat.
Winter is coming!

I really would like George R.R.R.R.R.R.R.R. Martin to finish book 6 sometime before I die.

---

The first episode was really good! Cant wait for next week!
The Debt
If the first episode doesn't have incest and the murder of a child, it's not really GOTs and I'm not interested.
WES2006AG
AG
hbc07 said:

Not sure if it was just my HBO or what, but the picture was so dark and muted.
I think that may be what they were going for. Still thought it looked good in Dolby Vision on the HBO Max app.
The Debt
hbc07 said:

Not sure if it was just my HBO or what, but the picture was so dark and muted.

Maybe they kept the lighting from the battle of winterfel
theSCHW4B
AG
When Otto sent his daughter to "comfort" the king, are we supposed to assume that he is wanting her to get pregnant with an heir? It was right after the council meeting to discuss the heir. Seems like a good time to make a play. Am I reading too much in to this?
Duncan Idaho
They did a great job casting the princess. I don't know what it is about her but something about her just doesn't sit right.
HossAg
AG
theSCHW4B said:

When Otto sent his daughter to "comfort" the king, are we supposed to assume that he is wanting her to get pregnant with an heir? It was right after the council meeting to discuss the heir. Seems like a good time to make a play. Am I reading too much in to this?
I wasn't sure about that either.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
That was what I assumed.
WES2006AG
AG
theSCHW4B said:

Seemed like he was making a play for more power using his daughter as an asset.
Counterpoint
AG
George got himself a fancy logo in the closing credits

javajaws
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

agracer said:

Is Matt Smith going to die soon? He seems totally miscast for this role.

He seems perfect to me. The perfect mix of looking like a Targaryen or a White Walker depending on the lighting
Agreed. Thought he was perfect for the role. Already he's got this love/hate thing going on - not sure whether to cheer for him or to hope for his demise.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
David_Puddy
AG
Like many others I thought the first episode was good and they did a great job on character intros. Looking forward to this series
redline248
AG
Obviously, it's been a looong time since I read the novels, but I do remember a few things. Like how the Iron Throne is said to somewhat "reject" certain monarchs. We see Viserys getting cut up by the throne, so I'm interested to learn what kind of ruler he is. Maybe a little insight given with the level of crime?

It's also pretty cool to see the throne flanked by all those other swords

Otto is definitely up to no good
bobinator
AG
theSCHW4B said:

I think it would be bad viewing to not read this into it. Not only did he send her, but then telling her to wear one of her mother's dresses, that was very clearly the implication there. Perhaps not pregnant that night, but certainly he's hoping the king falls for her.

Thought it was good character dynamics that Daemon more or less predicted this. Saying Otto is a second born who won't inherit anything he doesn't take for himself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.