*** GoT: House of the Dragon ***

277,128 Views | 2838 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by The Dog Lord
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I enjoyed the first episode. There was so much action at the end of GOT the slow pace of the new series took a little getting used to...but thats OK.
Duncan Idaho
I will also say that the increased use of cgi and decreased use of shooting on location was noticable and disappointing
Teddy Perkins
AG
How can they cauterize the king's open wound? I thought Targaryens couldn't be burned?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Do the dragons look different to anyone else than in GOT? I thought their heads looked more flat.
will25u
Teddy Perkins said:

How can they cauterize the king's open wound? I thought Targaryens couldn't be burned?

https://time.com/4336953/game-of-thrones-daenerys-targaryen-fire-immunity/

Quote:

The author has dismissed the idea that Daenerys cannot be harmed by fire in the past. "TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE!," he said during a discussion with fans. 'The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold."
redline248
AG
John Snow is a Targaryen and he was burned in season 1.

Though they showed this king waving his hand over candles without pain. Maybe just a hotter fire than normal
Teddy Perkins
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Do the dragons look different to anyone else than in GOT? I thought their heads looked more flat.
Some do. Evidently the dragons all have a different look from each other. Alt Shift X talks about it here:

BenFiasco14
AG
theSCHW4B said:

When Otto sent his daughter to "comfort" the king, are we supposed to assume that he is wanting her to get pregnant with an heir? It was right after the council meeting to discuss the heir. Seems like a good time to make a play. Am I reading too much in to this?

100%. Not to mention Hightower girl sent several looks of daggers to Targ princess during the whole coronation aspect.

Idk if anyone else watched the preview after the credits, but…

Don't read on if you don't want to know about the preview trailer

Later during the mash up there's several scenes shooting to the Hightower girl and Otto, then finally we see Viserys I talking to somebody (can't see who) talking about some "secret" that nobody can know. Seems obvious to me that "secret" is Hightower girl being preggo with Kings baby.

Could be wrong but that's where I see that going.

- -

Ok continue reading if you skipped.

I'm surprised to see people not liking Smith as Daemon. He looks a bit silly and weird but I think that adds to his character. Just a slime ball who gives a few hints about MAYBE being a little loyal to his family.

Can't wait to see where this goes.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
The Dog Lord
AG
Counterpoint said:

PatAg said:

The Dog Lord said:

Holy **** that was great. Not sure why anyone would think it's slow even though it's episode 1.
Slow isn't always bad

Completely agree with both points, but how could this even be called slow? Hopefully not because of the 'splosions factor (*BCS thread callback*)!

This my thing. I don't mind slow if it's good, but I just can't see why someone would call this episode slow or boring.
The Dog Lord
AG
redline248 said:

John Snow is a Targaryen and he was burned in season 1.

Though they showed this king waving his hand over candles without pain. Maybe just a hotter fire than normal
Yeah, Targs can tolerate (or even like) more heat than most (King Viserys mentioned this when talking about his wife's bath water being tepid), but they aren't immune from fire. Even Dany isn't immune all the time like in the show.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Debt said:

If the first episode doesn't have incest and the murder of a child, it's not really GOTs and I'm not interested.
Well we definitely had child death, so that should at least give you a half chub.
Max Power
AG
I really enjoyed the first episode. I thought they did a really good job of providing a brief history of what led the story up to this point while also laying a lot of groundwork for the season and future. The book this is based on, Fire & Blood, is really fun for me because it was written like a history text. Plus it's going to be nice to see the different dragons of the realm. I do agree the dragon animations were a little flat for the first episode, but it didn't bother me much. I'd rather they save that for later in the season anyway.

I liked the way Matt Smith played Daemon. He both showed empathy/compassion in the scenes with Rhaenyra and the family at the funeral but also his ambition, all the makings of a great antagonist. There's no such thing as the perfect king/queen, they are all flawed and can't be all things, that's why a story like this is compelling. It's also nice to juxtapose the character that wants the throne but isn't the chosen heir in a battle with the chosen heir that doesn't really want the crown.
swc93
AG
Quote:

Seems obvious to me that "secret" is Hightower girl being preggo with Kings baby.
Set up seems too obvious; Hightower girl is close with the Princess which gives you a nice betrayal story; King's brother hates the Hightower Hand of the King, King's brother picks Hand of the King's son in first joust, which beats their dislike for each other into our heads, especially after council meeting.

Leading to : King knocks up girl, Hand of the King hopes for son which would make that kid the rightful heir; Princess and Uncle join forces to fight usurper ******* child and the Hand of the King. I hope this is not the story arc and that all the tensions set up in the first episode are a misdirection. I have read nothing about this show and have only seen HBO trailers for it; so who knows.

I liked the first episode enough to watch the second; but something is missing and I don't know what it is yet; could just be I hear the music and expect to instantly care about the characters and at this point I don't.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Personally I loved Matt Smith's character as well.
bobinator
AG
My only beef with the way that character was this episode was the "heir for a day" part could have been better.

Would have been good if he didn't really want to give a speech, but his boys kind of hyped him up into it and then he instantly regretted saying the "heir for a day" line. As it was, it kind of seemed like he cared about his family in one scene, but then didn't at all in the next.
StinkyPinky
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

I will also say that the increased use of cgi and decreased use of shooting on location was noticable and disappointing
This was also my only criticism as well. My biggest fear is that they would pull a Star Wars (prequels) and overshadow the story with over the top CGI. They definitely didn't do that (which I was very happy with), but still the Dragon CGI did cause me to pause. I'm on board, thought it was a great start.
Charlie Conway
My biggest complaint is that Daemon took out the horses legs with his lance, what, I don't know a lot about jousting but I can't believe that's allowable.
easttexasaggie04
AG
My experience at Medieval Times wouldn't have allowed this.
redline248
AG
King's brother does what he wants
Thunder18
AG
Charlie Conway said:

My biggest complaint is that Daemon took out the horses legs with his lance, what, I don't know a lot about jousting but I can't believe that's allowable.

Yea, seems like that would've been a DQ
LPHA
AG
Thunder18 said:

Charlie Conway said:

I don't know, if splitting a guy's face in half with an axe isn't a DQ, I don't know why that would be.
The Dog Lord
AG
Thunder18 said:

Charlie Conway said:

And as others have mentioned, some of them devolved into a fight to the death which I'm assuming is not normal (see Robert's tourney in S1 of GoT).
StinkyPinky
AG
That (comment) mad me spit my coffee.
tk for tu juan
redline248
AG
yep
Thunder18
AG
LPHA said:

Thunder18 said:

Charlie Conway said:

I don't know, if splitting a guy's face in half with an axe isn't a DQ, I don't know why that would be.

Haha, yea I'm pretty sure the face splitter had to go to timeout after that
Medina Co Ag
AG
My first impressions:

I wasn't a fan of Paddy being cast as Viserys originally, as I mostly didn't think he looked the part of a Targaryen. After watching him for a few scenes, I instantly changed my mind. I thought he played the part very well.

I was very interested to hear how Ramin Djawadi would compose the music compared to GOT, and he nailed it. I was worried he would focus too much on differentiating the two, but this was a seamless transition IMO. The music instantly transports you back to Westeros, with several of the original themes coming back.

I agree, CGI was a little meh.

Overall, really solid start. I'm in.
combat wombat™
AG
Dang, why didn't they give the queen something to knock her out before they cut the baby out of her? If they were quick it probably wouldn't have hurt the kid... not that it would have mattered in the end.

Daemon looks like an elf out of Fellowship of the Rings.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The Kings Guard scene, I don't know if I caught it. Were all those people they were maiming actual criminals they knew about? Or were they just going around chopping off body parts indiscriminately to send a message to the peons?
Charlie Conway
combat wombat said:

Dang, why didn't they give the queen something to knock her out before they cut the baby out of her? If they were quick it probably wouldn't have hurt the kid... not that it would have mattered in the end.

Daemon? you mean Legolas?
Charlie Conway

The Kings Guard scene, I don't know if I caught it. Were all those people they were maiming actual criminals they knew about? Or were they just going around chopping off body parts indiscriminately to send a message to the peons?
That was the City Watch (gold cloaks) and yes, they were criminals and punished respectively to their crimes, arms for thieves and the rapist well, you know
Faustus
Charlie Conway said:

According to the Order of the Boar (Historical Calvary Re-enactment in New Zealand) striking a horse in a joust is a disqualifying offense.

https://www.jousting.co.nz/jousting/rules-of-jousting/

Quote:

. . .
Penalties are awarded for various rules infractions. Minor infractions such as not presenting a good target, not cantering or galloping, or throwing the lance away result in points deductions.

More serious infractions such as striking a horse or causing an injury to an opponent by striking off-target automatically result in disqualification - either from a match or in more severe cases from the tournament itself.
, , ,
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Charlie Conway said:

That was the City Watch (gold cloaks) and yes, they were criminals and punished respectively to their crimes, arms for thieves and the rapist well, you know

Thanks for clarifying and correcting. At first I thought the City Watch was just doing no knock raids on all of kings landing. Then they started calling people rapists and thieves, and I wasn't sure if it was actually them just rounding up a bunch of prisoners or something.
CFTXAG10
AG
Sky Corrigan said:

I wasn't a fan of Paddy being cast as Viserys originally, as I mostly didn't think he looked the part of a Targaryen. After watching him for a few scenes, I instantly changed my mind. I thought he played the part
It bugged the hell out of me where I knew him from so I had to stop mid-episode to find out he was Father Hughes in Peaky Blinders. I like his performance as Viserys so far.
gggmann
AG
combat wombat said:

I kept waiting for him to ask for fish fingers and custard. He just doesn't fit the part to me.

The wigs are pretty bad. Maybe the costume department made some improvements as filming progressed.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.