*** JURASSIC PARK/WORLD FRANCHISE ***

72,535 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TCTTS
dreyOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just saw it. What a stinker. Terrible plot, but hey, at least it scored some intersectional points.

I'd rather see Top Gun Maverick 100 times in a row before ever watching that again. Maybe 1000 times.

ETA: I should add that I'm not trying to dog on this movie. I wanted to like it or be anywhere close to JW. Not close imo. But my 9 & 10 year olds seemed to like it ok. Just sharing a perspective for anyone thinking it might be something better than it is.
kerrag06
AG
Call me the minority but we enjoyed it a lot. Saw it in IMAX in SA at 9:45 and there wasn't a single empty seat in the house. Lots of cheers and laughter and just an all around great experience. Was it Oscar worthy? no… spoiler alert- it's not Intended to be. Cheesy? Predictable? Of course. People can hate on it all they want- the studio will be fine with 1-2 billion dollars regardless.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My theater was really full too, even more than for opening night of Maverick.
TCTTS
AG
It wasn't nearly as abysmal as some are making it out to be, and there were actually a couple of decently fun sequences throughout, but it wasn't a particularly good movie either. More than anything, I was just left scratching my head as to how *that* was the plot to a Jurassic Park/World movie. Something so needlessly and ridiculously complex, to the point where I don't know how any kid under ten could possibly understand what the hell was going on. Especially after the immensely satisfying and straightforward plot of Top Gun: Maverick. This felt so ridiculously bonkers in comparison, when it didn't at all need to be. I mean, there were multiple instances where *I* didn't even know what the hell was going on.

All that said, my audience laughed and cheered at all the right moments the filmmakers intended, so I guess, for the most part, it did what it needed to do.

All I know is I'm glad this franchise is finally over, at least for the time being, until whatever spin-off or reimagining they come up with, hopefully years and years from now, because I definitely need a break from this world after that.
TCTTS
AG
Also, we didn't get the 65-million-years-ago prologue from last summer, and I kept waiting for the big scene that played with it, of the T-Rex tearing through the drive-in theater and the helicopter dudes chasing it down. Did they really shoot/do VFX for all of that *just* for a trailer?
TCTTS
AG
I mean, literally nothing from this is in the movie. I don't know that I've ever seen a preview like this be all footage *just* for the trailer and nothing else...

J. Walter Weatherman
BadMoonRisin said:

No one pays attentions to the critics anymore, or at least shouldn't. It's all about the audience score now, baby.

Agreed. Those types of reviews of movies like this are just a growing contest to see who can seem the most "cultured" between a small amount of people who spend way too much time on twitter, in a review of a fun dinosaur popcorn summer movie. Looking forward to catching it this weekend.
SJEAg
AG
Taken as a whole, critics can give good reviews to popcorn movies. See Top Gun, Marvel, even some of the Fast/Furious movies.

Honestly, TexAgs reviews seem to usually line up with critics more than audience. JW looks mixed at best here. We seem to be pretty critical of the more "average" Marvel movies. Guess the Entertainment board is snootier than the general public.

That said, I'll be seeing JW in the theater. I even enjoyed FK and JP3, so clearly my usual standards are out the window on this series.
Sapper Redux
BadMoonRisin said:

No one pays attentions to the critics anymore, or at least shouldn't. It's all about the audience score now, baby.

Audience scores are worse than critics. At least critics have to sit through a movie before throwing their biases at it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
J. Walter Weatherman said:

BadMoonRisin said:

Agreed. Those types of reviews of movies like this are just a growing contest to see who can seem the most "cultured" between a small amount of people who spend way too much time on twitter, in a review of a fun dinosaur popcorn summer movie. Looking forward to catching it this weekend.
It's almost as if folks go in to a movie like this looking for Shakespearian dialogue or what-have-you. It's a movie about freaking dinosaurs eating people. Critics will say that character X's actions or motivations don't make sense, to which I'll say, look, there's a dinosaur chomping a dude off a toilet. But what about the plot? Eh, give me more dinosaurs eating people.

This was never going to be the greatest movie ever made. I'm fine with that. Especially when I get to see dinosaurs eating people.
#FJB
caleblyn
It was fun, but not that great! I was really hoping for more.
Tibbers
No, we are looking for a well crafted story with the backdrop of Dinos eating people. By the way, there were very few dinos actually eating people on screen. There were parts of this story that could have been fleshed out and explored more. The strange Malta scene with the lady dino bounty Hunter who just disappeared entirely from the script. Also, was she not the weirdest looking person? She didn't matter at all to the story really. I did like when Dr. Grant turned into Indiana Jones once they got to the caves, but again, the story just jumped around so fast they never really lingered on any one point to make the audience really care.

Also, why the continual ****ting on my boy Dr. Grant?

I honestly thought at the end Blue was going to say "thank you" when Chris brought back her baby.
Tibbers
Here's a better ending. Dr. Grant saves everyone by running away from the pack. Raptors chase him down and kill him in the same way he threatens the little boy at the beginning of Jurassic Park. As he's screaming and getting eaten alive, he comes to, back in the Badlands and back in 1993. He suffered a heat stroke which triggered a Final Destination premonition of all that was to come, his foray into Jurassic Park, his lost love potential with Dr. Sattler, and the entire nightmare leading to his doom. Just then, John Hammond's helicopter lands. Together in Dr. Grant's tent, john asks Dr. Grant if he wants to go to Jurassic Park. Dr. Grant says "no"

Credits roll as you hear and see the sounds of rock picking out Dino bones as the South Dakota winds roll and bluster.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
AMW2010
AG
I planned on seeing it but all my local go to theaters are sold out as of now… and I'm not sitting in the first 2 rows to break my neck
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Just out of curiosity, checked out the two IMAX showings at my theater for today. They're about 90% full already. I think this movie will be just fine, money wise.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
For the record, Top Gun: Maverick opened to $19.3M on Thursday / $124M for the three-day weekend (and $160M for the four-day holiday weekend). I knew TG:M was going to be massive, but I never would have expected it and JP to be this close. Crazy.
TyHolden
AG
TCTTS said:

For the record, Top Gun: Maverick opened to $19.3M on Thursday / $124M for the three-day weekend (and $160M for the four-day holiday weekend). I knew TG:M was going to be massive, but I never would have expected it and JP to be this close. Crazy.
Kids want to see JP because it's been around forever. I doubt most kids were dying to see TG.

And like all movies now.....only 1 decent one opens in theaters every 2-4 weeks.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm assuming he means he wouldn't have expected Maverick to match what JW did. And yeah, agreed.
TCTTS
AG
Right. Everyone had JP being the undisputed king of the box office this summer, including myself. So the fact that it might not be, and that Top Gun is neck-and-neck with it, is pretty shocking.
jetescamilla
AG
Just got out, here's my reaction: too long, too much CGI, too many storylines converging, everything was "convenient", but everytime I looked over at my kids their mouths were wide open at the action and freaking loved it. So I'm happy!
AMW2010
AG
Just got out a little while ago.

I actually really liked it a lot.
I have 3 large gripes. I did not like the CGI Dino's at the start, I was taking to myself this does not look good, but then it got better. I did not like how easily characters got from point A to point B so effortlessly and always knew what to do. My last gripe was the end battle, it just happened, and then it was over… like really quickly.

For me it was a perfect mixture of Park & World cast members and Maisie was the glue that connected them all together.

I also thought it was a great wrap of 6 movies. If you look at the Jurassic movies not about Dinosaurs, BUT as a movie about genetics where Dino's are the byproduct then this 6th movie to me makes so much for senses.

Watching the Camp Cretaceous shows on Netflix helps fill in the gaps with all of Biosyn

The dilophosaurus for me stole the show in every scene they were in. And when I first heard their noise I was like oh heck yea!!!

I wish a main character Would have been eaten, it would have raised the stakes of suspense for me.

They said the Giga was the largest predator but it didn't seem much bigger than the T. rex to me.

Like TC said above, there was no prelude or drive in movie scene with the trex, and they even said it took fish & game XX years to capture the Rex, so that would have been cool to see.

Overall, I was happy to see the movie, every showing has been sold out, and my theater Was full of kids so it reminded me when I saw Jurassic park as a kid in 93
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Just got out. The wife and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It is not perfect by any means, but that is not a problem for me. I got what I wanted out of it. And I find Ron Howard's daughter to be a fine looking woman.

Loved seeing the dinosaur with the big sail-like fin on its back; there was a time when I could have said what it's name is, but can't recall it now.

I liked the idea of an extinction level event coming via genetically modified locusts
#FJB
TyHolden
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

did they use this line in the movie or did i mishear?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Not that I heard. But they did show the can of Barbasol.
TyHolden
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Not that I heard. But they did show the can of Barbasol.
I thought I heard Grant mention something about Dotson. I was the only one that laughed though so maybe not.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh they definitely mention his name.

Ian points at him dramatically and says "Dodgson", which was hilarious.
jetescamilla
AG
Agree about the CGI dinos looking out of place at the beginning. It appreaed as if they were floating on the ground while running. Not certain if it got better or I was able to ignore it as the story went on.
BlackLab
AG
Is 3D worth it? I have a 9 and 5 yr old that want to see the movie.
Sea Speed
AG
I've never seen a 3d movie that was worth it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's too bad you didn't see Avatar.
Sea Speed
AG
I did see that in 3d. There were like 3 scenes that were cool but the movie was terrible, but let's not derail this thread.
Tibbers
Sea Speed said:

I've never seen a 3d movie that was worth it.
jaws 3d? That one Friday the 13th 3d movie? uhhh Creature from the black lagoon...3d?

yeah, you're right they are all trash.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.