*** JURASSIC PARK/WORLD FRANCHISE ***

72,553 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TCTTS
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
These reviews are the least surprising thing of the year after watching the trailers and marketing for this movie.
TXAG 05
AG
Agreed. There has been no buzz for this movie. I didn't even know it was coming out this week until I saw the posters for it in theater last week when we went to see Top Gun. I'm sure we will go see it, but not in any any hurry at this point.
Cromagnum
AG
I have lower expectations for this one, but it won't stop me from going one more time to see the OG cast.
jetescamilla
AG
We have IMAX tickets for an opening matinee on Friday and while I'm not super excited for it my 8 and 9 year olds are pumped. I'm sure they'll get their monies worth. I have low expectations hoping to be surprised.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
My expectations have way lowered, and any and all hype I had for this movie has bottomed out, for whatever reason.

Still looking forward to watching it tomorrow, but not feeling the least bit confident in it being good.
Blanco Jimenez
AG
My 7 year old is pumped for this and I'll enjoy the time with him I'm sure. He's seen the other 5 and been fine. Anyone know if this one should be any different for a kid? Wife is a bit more conservative on stuff like this and wants to make sure beforehand.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

My expectations have way lowered, and any and all hype I had for this movie has bottomed out, for whatever reason.

Still looking forward to watching it tomorrow, but not feeling the least bit confident in it being good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think it's more tv, tbh.

Although it is funny how my excitement was through the roof for Obi-Wan, and was not really there for Stranger Things, and the latter ended up being way better and more exciting in the end.

Similarly for Dominion and Top Gun. Two months ago I was excited for the reunion of the OGs in this movie, and didn't really care much about Maverick. Funny that it seems like the same thing will happen.
GoAgs92
AG
Commercials make this look terrible.

TCTTS
AG
Out of morbid curiosity, I just checked the Saturday night, 7 PM prime-time IMAX showing at one of the most popular theaters in the world (TLC Chinese Theater), and it's not even close to being halfway sold out yet...

TCTTS
AG
Thursday night isn't much better. Still a ton of good seats left.
SJEAg
AG
Wonder if TG may pass it back up in a couple weeks at the weekly BO.
maroon man
S
Well one issue is Top Gun Maverick is losing a ton of the larger format -premium screens like IMAX and Dolby Cinema. The local theater had Top Gun on 4 screens now down to just 1.

TCTTS
AG
Caved and bought a ticket for tonight, last minute. Still plenty of good seats left for the 7:25 PM showing at the Chinese IMAX. Got a busy weekend coming up, so I won't be able to see it for days, if I didn't tonight, and even if it's a complete train wreck, I don't want to be out of the loop that long.

Anyone else seeing it soon?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Currently standing outside the IMAX with a pretty large crowd. They're cleaning it way later than usual.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Tomorrow right after work.
#FJB
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

Caved and bought a ticket for tonight, last minute. Still plenty of good seats left for the 7:25 PM showing at the Chinese IMAX. Got a busy weekend coming up, so I won't be able to see it for days, if I didn't tonight, and even if it's a complete train wreck, I don't want to be out of the loop that long.

Corporate (aka my wife) says we'll probably go this weekend even though we lol'd our way through the last train wreck.

This is how you Hollywood types screw us. You make a fun summer movie (Jurassic World) that pretty much everyone enjoyed and wanted to see because of the JP nostalgia factor. Then you let some slapdick convince you that the next one should have all this deeper messaging in it (when we just want running and screaming) which results in a film so utterly dumb and ridiculous that the most fun it provided was actually laughing at it. At this point, the male side of my household checks out, no harm no foul. But the female side (which actually runs things) comes to the conclusion that we are essentially pot committed and is always jumping at any opportunity for us all to be together for family time, so now I gotta drop a car payment for four nightime tickets and dinner and popcorn and *****

Life of dad first world problems. Thanks TCCTS. Thanks a lot. I planned on seeing this in 10 minute increments on HBO is a few months.

Tibbers
TCTTS said:

Going to see it tonight at the Queen theater. Look, I know it'll probably be terrible but I can't help myself but see it. Plus, ya gotta support the Queen!
MaroonStain
AG
Those 5* in your posts made me think..."man, he still has to pay for the poonanny." Of course, we never stop paying in reality.
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag said:

TCTTS said:

Corporate (aka my wife) says we'll probably go this weekend even though we lol'd our way through the last train wreck.

This is how you Hollywood types screw us. You make a fun summer movie (Jurassic World) that pretty much everyone enjoyed and wanted to see because of the JP nostalgia factor. Then you let some slapdick convince you that the next one should have all this deeper messaging in it (when we just want running and screaming) which results in a film so utterly dumb and ridiculous that the most fun it provided was actually laughing at it. At this point, the male side of my household checks out, no harm no foul. But the female side (which actually runs things) comes to the conclusion that we are essentially pot committed and is always jumping at any opportunity for us all to be together for family time, so now I gotta drop a car payment for four nightime tickets and dinner and popcorn and *****

Life of dad first world problems. Thanks TCCTS. Thanks a lot. I planned on seeing this in 10 minute increments on HBO is a few months.

wangus12
AG
Went and saw TG again today instead. No regrets
TCTTS
AG
This is the way.
TyHolden
AG
Just got back. Meh. Maybe better if I sat in one of the moving consoles but it was just meh to me. I thought the last 2 with Pratt and the redhead were decent. Adding the old cast did nothing for me.
HouseDivided06
AG
Just got back myself. We got spoiled with Maverick being as good as it was. Some fun action sequences, cool to see the old guys even if forced, Malcolm with some fun one liners, cool dinosaurs and fight scenes, but temper expectations. Personally I think I'd list them:

Jurassic Park
Jurassic World
Jurassic Park 2
Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom
Jurassic World Dominion
Jurassic Park 3
TCTTS
AG
Ooof. In line and currently regretting ever leaving the house.
TCTTS
AG
Movie starts in two minutes, but something's wrong and we're all in line like animals down Hollywood Blvd, in the heat, with all the freaks and weirdos and tourists, and I don't want to be here anymore.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Enjoyed that a lot more than I expected to. Fun action scenes (loved the motorcycle chase), cool reunions, and some funny moments. (Goldblum stole every scene he was in.)

I'd probably put it just ahead of the first JW and FAR ahead of the trainwreck that was Fallen Kingdom.

Also it was cool that the whole movie was shot in IMAX.

The ending is a little abrupt and there's of course some huge plot conveniences at times, but same as any Jurassic movie.

My biggest nitpick is how they kept teasing the classic Williams theme and never just play it outright.
Belton Ag
AG
Took my girls. Was better than I thought it would be. Maybe 20 minutes too long but otherwise a fun time.

Good to see Chris Pratt still had his Marlin 1895 .45-70.
Thomas Little
AG
Just saw it. Those twitter critics are trying way too hard. It's a fun summer movie. Not the best, but pretty damn good.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I honestly don't know what movie they watched. This is not a 39% movie.
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Movie starts in two minutes, but something's wrong and we're all in line like animals down Hollywood Blvd, in the heat, with all the freaks and weirdos and tourists, and I don't want to be here anymore.

Isn't this every night in California?
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
BadMoonRisin
AG

No one pays attentions to the critics anymore, or at least shouldn't. It's all about the audience score now, baby.
Urban Ag
AG
MaroonStain said:

Those 5* in your posts made me think..."man, he still has to pay for the poonanny." Of course, we never stop paying in reality.
I noticed that too and apparently the filter stars the period behind sheet. But yes, I never stop paying for La Princessa.
Tibbers
Dear God that was terrible. It was so bad it was hilarious, truly hilarious. Wait to watch it at home folks. Might be as bad as that matrix film they recently crafted. Jeepers y'all. Jeepers.
TyHolden
AG
Tibbers said:

Dear God that was terrible. It was so bad it was hilarious, truly hilarious. Wait to watch it at home folks. Might be as bad as that matrix film they recently crafted. Jeepers y'all. Jeepers.

I'd put it around last matrix movie as well. Good comparison.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.