*** JURASSIC PARK/WORLD FRANCHISE ***

72,450 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not specifically movie-related, but still kind of cool...

TCTTS
AG
There's a rumor that the next movie could be heading back to Isla Nublar (the main island, where 1, 4, and part of 5 took place), which reminded me that it's now either mostly or partly covered in lava, because the plot of the 5th movie retroactively had us believe that the people who brought dinosaurs back to life and built two theme parks on the island somehow missed the fact that there was a volcano there that could potentially erupt, killing most life on the island. I know there was some dumb explanation that they thought the volcano was dormant or something, but still. It's just another reminder of how terrible most of these movies have been, but the sequel trilogy especially. With Koepp back, I'm really hoping we've moved past that era, and into something smarter/more thrilling again.
The Porkchop Express
How about just a normal rom-com or political thriller but all the characters are dinosaurs?
C@LAg
have a trex accidentally eat John Wicks pitbull, and then JW goes on a dino-killing rampage

bam.

instant $1.5B
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

There's a rumor that the next movie could be heading back to Isla Nublar (the main island, where 1, 4, and part of 5 took place), which reminded me that it's now either mostly or partly covered in lava, because the plot of the 5th movie retroactively had us believe that the people who brought dinosaurs back to life and built two theme parks on the island somehow missed the fact that there was a volcano there that could potentially erupt, killing most life on the island. I know there was some dumb explanation that they thought the volcano was dormant or something, but still. It's just another reminder of how terrible most of these movies have been, but the sequel trilogy especially. With Koepp back, I'm really hoping we've moved past that era, and into something smarter/more thrilling again.
1. it may not be Nublar, it could be Sorna.

2. i mean.. people/animals live in Hawaii, and there are regular eruptions there. maybe the perceived risk of a supposedly dormant volcano was minimal (see Mt St helens).

i agree going back to ANY island seems like a dumb setting.
Why go? to get ingen tech/research? You already have freaking dinos roaming all over the place that can be studied.

to me the next evolution of the storyline would be monitoring and managing the (assumed) growing herds, since they have no real predators other than man.

kind of like a conflict resolution team, that gets dropped in/extracted to deal with issues.
TCTTS
AG
It just seems to me that a corporation developing groundbreaking biotechnology, monetized via a state-of-art luxury theme park, wouldn't develop said tech/park anywhere
near a volcano that had even a 5% chance of erupting.

All of that said, it sounds like they're returning to Hawaii to shoot, but yeah, Hawaii could be a stand in for any island/exotic location. The speculation is Nublar, mainly because of Koepp's involvement. I've even seen suggestions it could be a JP prequel of some kind, set on Nublar, but that technically wouldn't fit the "new era" monicker from the press announcement.

Either way, with the rate at which pre-production is moving, I'm sure we'll learn more soon.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

It just seems to me that a corporation developing groundbreaking biotechnology, monetized via a state-of-art luxury theme park, wouldn't develop said tech/park anywhere
near a volcano that had even a 5% chance of erupting.

you mean like building our primary IT/technology hub city where all the big internet companies are centralized... right near one of the largest, semi-active fault lines in the US? same with its sister city 8 hours south?

or a large gulf port city that is the primary US hub for oil and gas along a coast that gets hit by a HUGE hurricane every 20 years or so?

never would happen in the real world!

humans (and corporations) are cheap. and very often dumb.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, fair enough.
double aught
AG
I'd use any excuse to work in Hawaii too.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'm one who did enjoy the last two in the sequel trilogy. Having said that, I've only rewatched the middle entry a couple of times, and maybe once for the third. Those are clearly not going to withstand my test of time.

But dammit, I thought I was done with these movies, and now they're pulling me back in. I'm hoping for a return to the greatness of the first two JP movies.
#FJB
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
She hasn't accepted yet, but she would be great in this.
C@LAg
it needs to be set in 65MM years BC, and she needs to be in a skimpy bikini outfit made of mammoth skins!
Sapper Redux
Having a star of her caliber would give a little reassurance about the film. We'll see.
TCTTS
AG
Outside of David Leitch being "in talks" to helm this movie - with his falling out being a freak rare occurrence - 99% of the time "in talks" is code for "all but official, just working out the last few details." In other words, it sounds like Johansson is in (as opposed to simply having an offer, which is what the earlier news was), and I think she's a fantastic choice/lends some much-needed credibility to this seventh entry...

Enzomatic
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

I'm hoping for a return to the greatness of the first two JP movies.

Umm…
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Enzomatic said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Umm…
I detect a typical TexAgs opinion that must be considered fact by all.
#FJB
TCTTS
AG
If given a choice between re-watching JP2 vs any of JP3/JW1-3, I'm going with JP2 every time. Yes, it has its flaws, but it's still the most rewatchable of the sequels, and the fact alone that it's directed by Spielberg makes it all the more worthwhile.
TCTTS
AG
I'm not putting much stock in it yet, but there's a consistent, albeit dubious rumor that this next movie takes place in the '90s, either before or between the first two movies. If so, and if it ends up actually being good, it could make JP2 all the more relevant, with the three, '90s-set, David Koepp-penned movies > than all the 21st century set movies (JP3 was 2001.)
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

If given a choice between re-watching JP2 vs any of JP3/JW1-3, I'm going with JP2 every time. Yes, it has its flaws, but it's still the most rewatchable of the sequels, and the fact alone that it's directed by Spielberg makes it all the more worthwhile.
I am a real simple man when it comes to dinosaur movies. Does it feature lots of chompin' and stompin'? The Lost world checks those boxes more than sufficiently. I also know that many didn't like the Tyrannosaur in San Diego bit, but I will say as a lifelong Godzilla nut, the shot of 4 Japs running down the road looking over their shoulders made that totally worth it.
#FJB
Andrew Dufresne
The Lost World is a fun watch
The Porkchop Express
I'm not going to say it, but you guys know my problem with JP3. I think Jurassic World is more fun than 2 or 3, mostly because it's the fully realized theme park.
WoMD
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Enzomatic said:

Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

Umm…
I detect a typical TexAgs opinion that must be considered fact by all.

Must be the beating up raptors with gymnastics part that really did it. Instantly put it up there, probably enough to surpass the original.
C@LAg
they should make the movie a What If , as in the asteroid never hit.

Dinosaurs evolved into bipedal lizard people, and they have to deal with a zoo filled of mammals that are attacking them.
TCTTS
AG
Did you say zoo? It's all coming together now. They needed someone with prior zoo experience...

TCTTS
AG

Quote:

Scoop Confirmed: Scarlett Johansson in Talks to Star in Universal's Next Jurassic Movie

Last night, Puck's Matt Belloni ran a mailbag column in which an agent said they'd "never seen the high caliber of talent willing to do the low caliber of studio movies being offered to them since the strike."

I don't know what industry that agent has been working in, as Hollywood's top stars have been agreeing to star in garbage movies for a long time now - this is hardly a new development since the strikes.

Belloni said that he received that question months ago, but hadn't thought about it until he heard that Jennifer Lawrence's team had engaged in discussions for the new Jurassic World movie at Universal. Belloni then did the unthinkable - he linked to my original tweet reporting that Scarlett Johansson had been offered the lead role and confirmed that she is now in talks.

But back when Belloni first heard Lawrence's name in connection with the project, he admitted he felt "that kind of aging franchise fare seemed waaaay beneath an Oscar winner and major movie star who's still only 33."

Alas, that's where he's wrong, and frankly, where I have Belloni beat. I thank him for linking to me, and he'll always have the edge on me when it comes to insight on Wall Street - not to mention who's dining with whom at the Polo Lounge, which I can't afford - but when it comes to the lay of the development landscape, I've still got the upper hand.

See, if you take away the Marvel movies, Scarlett Johansson's last three live-action movies have been Marriage Story, Jojo Rabbit, and Asteroid City. All acclaimed films from acclaimed filmmakers, no doubt. Not a bad choice in the bunch. But it's high time for Scarlett Johansson to lead another blockbuster outside of the MCU and remind everyone she's a global movie star - especially with a new generation of stars quickly rising through the ranks.

Of course, to maintain your position as a global movie star you have to make big movies, and with Johansson's MCU run now over, she was only left with so many blue-chip options.

Was she going to go to James Gunn's DCU? That wouldn't make much sense. Was she going to go to Lucasfilm and lead a Star Wars movie? With all due respect, I can't see that happening. Was she going to star in a Fast and Furious movie? GTFOH! An Avatarmovie? It's too late…

My point is, there are very few guaranteed hit franchises in this business and the Jurassic franchise is one of them. Yes, it's an "aging franchise" that feels a little long in the tooth, but that's why Universal, producer Frank Marshall, and executive producer Steven Spielberg are trying to shake up the formula with this new entry.

This is a franchise that is coming off three-straight billion dollar movies, and as the saying goes in Hollywood - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." But I think the studio and Spielberg can sense that audiences are craving something new from this franchise, and if they're going to take a creative risk, they need a proven star - a box office draw - who can bolster that decision and make their new approach feel a little less risky.

Enter Johansson, whom Universal has been high on ever since she powered Luc Besson's Lucy to a global gross of $400 million back in 2014. While the dinosaurs will always be the stars of any Jurassic movie, having a proven star of Johansson's caliber can only help matters, and she should help fill the void left by fellow Marvel alum Chris Pratt.

As Belloni wisely points out, how many movies are being made at this scale for a global theatrical release that will benefit from a huge marketing spend and countless corporate tie-ins? As Johansson embraces a new chapter of her career as a director, it may be smart to do one for Universal, Donna Langley, and Spielberg, who could be helpful to her down the line as a filmmaker.

I think this makes a ton of sense for both her and the studio, and the next Jurassic movie - from director Gareth Edwards and slated for release on July 2, 2025 - should be better off for it.
TCTTS
AG
Is this somehow shaping up to feature the best cast since the original?

The Porkchop Express
Slumdog Mozosaurus?
TCTTS
AG
This cast could be insane…

TCTTS
AG
Then again, I have no idea who this guy is, but hopefully he turns out to be another solid addition...

The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Then again, I have no idea who this guy is, but hopefully he turns out to be another solid addition...

You don't watch Bridgerton? I'm shocked!
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Guilty as charged.

He good?
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Guilty as charged.

He good?
I only watch that show to keep the peace, man. None of them are "good".
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Noblemen06
AG
This is getting better and better - surely they wouldn't be amassing this talent with a crap plan for the story.
TCTTS
AG
Did this ride for the first time a few weeks ago, with my nephews, and I was not at all ready for that drop…

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.