*** JURASSIC PARK/WORLD FRANCHISE ***

70,727 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Two recent news items this week inspired this thread...
TCTTS
AG
The first is Netflix's surprise announcement today that they have ordered "an all-new animated series" set to arrive in 2020 called Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous...

Quote:

It follows a group of six teenagers chosen for a once-in-a-lifetime experience at a new adventure camp on the opposite side of Isla Nublar. But when dinosaurs wreak havoc across the island, the campers are stranded. Unable to reach the outside world, they'll need to go from strangers to friends to family if they're going to survive.

And when they say "animated," based on the teaser below, it looks to be fairly life-like...

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/netflix-jurassic-world-camp-cretaceous-series-1203231888/
TCTTS
AG
Next up is news from yesterday where Bryce Dallas Howard basically all but confirms that the primary cast from Jurassic Park will be returning for the final Jurassic World installment, set for release on June 11, 2021.

I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that I'm only setting myself up for major disappointment - given the quality of the last two films - but I can't help but get slightly excited for this, as it kind of feels like this might be the Endgame/The Rise of Skywalker of the Jurassic franchise...

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1072693-bryce-dallas-howard-teases-original-trio-return-for-jurassic-world-3
TCTTS
AG
Anyway, it seems that the franchise is gearing up for another little run here over 2020/2021, so I figured one, main thread made the most sense...
The Collective
AG
TCTTS said:

Next up is news from yesterday where Bryce Dallas Howard basically all but confirms that the primary cast from Jurassic Park will be returning for the final Jurassic World

C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
jeffk
AG
Really hoping we'll get fully militarized dinos in this last one.

Ag Since 83
AG
Oh good lord...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Man did I not like Fallen Kingdom.
Gigem314
AG
Liked JW.

FK was very underwhelming. But I'm hopeful they can close it on a high note. If they bring back Grant, Ellie, and Malcolm I'm definitely giving it a chance.
MGS
I'm looking forward to the inevitable Jurassic World/Westworld crossover. (The MCCU?)
The Collective
AG
Raptors with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads.
Noblemen06
AG
Y'all say what you want but I'll take all the JP/JW I can get...been hooked since 1993.
ChimbosAg
AG
Pulling out all the stops for one last blockbuster for the franchise
TCTTS
AG
Like Marvel and Star Wars, though, I doubt this is the end end. Most likely just the end of the Trevorrow/Pratt/Howard trilogy, which will also effectively "wrap up" the six Jurassic Park/World franchise movies. But I'd be shocked if they don't leave a window open for the franchise to continue in some other form or fashion somehow going forward.
TCTTS
AG
My favorite idea of which would be if the dinosaurs actually "won" at the end of this one, eventually took over the planet, and all movies from here on out are basically post-apocalyptic/human survival movies.
PatAg
AG
Bear with me here, but ...what if...this is a live action remake of Land Before Time
TCTTS
AG
mazag08
AG
I had a post deleted and staff edit early on the Jurassic World 2 thread because I said everyone on here was an idiot for thinking it wouldn't be total trash like every movie since Jurassic Park 1.

Both of these new items double down on that. Both will be awful. But that's just my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong and they can make a decent enough movie to justify the **** they have taken on fans for the last 20 years.
TCTTS
AG
There's a way to express that opinion without calling everyone "idiots," but yeah, just for the record, again, I seriously doubt this final installment will be any good. I don't think anyone here is expecting much. I'm just saying that the original cast coming back and teaming up with Pratt/Howard could go a long way toward covering up Colin Trevorrow's general incompetence, but I doubt it.

Trevorrow wrote and directed the first Jurassic World, only wrote Fallen Kingdom, was hired to write/direct Star Wars: Episode IX, but was fired after delivering his draft, and was then hired to return to write/direct this JW installment. In between all of that, he wrote and directed another movie - The Book of Henry - that was one of the most panned movies of the past five years. In other words, the guy clearly doesn't have a great track record, but who knows, maybe he final delivers on the potential Spielberg originally saw in him.
JABQ04
AG
jeffk said:

Really hoping we'll get fully militarized dinos in this last one.

Dino-Riders. Those toys were the *****
ChimbosAg
AG
I'll be sad to see Pratt go, but he's taken this franchise to new levels. Even with the step backwards that FK took I'm still pumped to see the final movie of this installment.

I like your idea of thoughts on where to head after this, would be an interesting and fresh view that the others hadn't covered yet.
Urban Ag
AG
The whole family walked out of JW1 with smiles on our faces. Great, summer, blockbuster, have fun movie. Pratt and Howard had believable chemistry. Effects were good for the most part. Loved the homage to the original. It was just a fun movie.

The whole family walked out of JW2 with a collective WTF did we just watch? It was so bad, we, as a family, were literally LOL'ing in the parking lot. At the time my boys were 9 and 12. You really gotta F it up bad for 9 and 12 year old boys to not love a dinosaur movie.

I don't hover on threads about material I don't like so I'm not going to crap all over Jurassic Park/World, say my peace, and move on. But that last movie was so weapons grade stupid it's completely killed my interest. Sucks because my dad was a huge Crichton fan going back to the 60's and handed me Jurassic Park after he finished reading it and I absolutely fell in the love with it (was in HS at the time). I remember going to Hastings in 95 an hour before they opened to make sure I got my hands on the Lost World.

By the way, Crichton was an absolute genius. Serious big brain.
TCTTS
AG
What sucks is that a "haunted"-mansion-with-dinosaurs conceit is actually kind of cool and original. The concept, at least, had my interest piqued, and we did get cool little glimpses of its potential here and there. But yeah, nearly every single decision made, story-wise, was just sooooo incredibly dumb. I mean, they off-handedly introduced HUMAN CLONING *solely* so that a human clone could have empathy for dinosaur clones and push a button to release them into the wild.

That said, I DID really like what the final montage sequence set-up (embedded below). There's A LOT of potential here, I just wish it wasn't Trevorrow the one trying to capitalize on it...

TCTTS
AG
But yeah, the books are so good. Reading The Lost World in high school was the first time I can ever remember getting that excited, "Wait, I can know about the plot to a movie before it comes out?" feeling. Of course, they hardly ended up sticking to the book, which led to my first, disappointed, "Wait, that wasn't at all what I was expecting" feeling leaving the theater.
Urban Ag
AG
TCTTS said:

But yeah, the books are so good. Reading The Lost World in high school was the first time I can ever remember getting that excited, "Wait, I can know about the plot to a movie before it comes out?" feeling. Of course, they hardly ended up sticking to the boo, which led to my first, disappointed, "Wait, that wasn't at all what I was expecting" feeling leaving the theater.
Meh. Is what it is. JP is an American classic as far as I am concerned. JP2 and 3 were serviceable at best, IMO. JW was such a fun movie. JW2 was garbage and I hate to say that, I honestly do. Mostly because I know so many people behind the scenes poured their lives in to it. Again, meh. I don't root against entertainment. I hope they can salvage the franchise.
Gigem314
AG
CJS4715 said:

Raptors with freakin' laser beams attached to their heads.
bobinator
AG
I'm just not sure what new ground there is here that would make for a good 'ending.'
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I read the books way after seeing the movies, but I have to agree, those are some awesome books.
bobinator
AG
I can't even remember how but I some how came across the Chrichton books at the library when I was like 13 and it kicked off a huge Crichton obsession. I think I read basically every book he wrote over the next year, or at least all of them I could get at the Kerrville library.
Gigem314
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

I read the books way after seeing the movies, but I have to agree, those are some awesome books.
Yeah I saw JP before reading the book. Glad I did, because the book is even better than the movie. I loved Muldoon's character in the book, but they really neutered him for the movie and gave him a different fate. I guess that's why despite the issues, I really like what JW did with Owen. He has some of that 'badass' factor that Muldoon had in the original book.
The Collective
AG
I think I've posted this before, but The Lost World was the first movie that I remember being really disappointed after seeing it. That marked what I consider the end of my childhood.
jackie childs
i've never been a big jurassic park/world fan, but seeing the dinosaurs for the first time on the big screen in JP is probably one of my top 10 most memorable movie-going moments
Grimey
The first trilogy was Jurassic Park.

The second trilogy is Jurassic World.

The next trilogy must be.....Jurassic Universe! DINOS IN SPAAAAAAAACE!
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
TCTTS said:

My favorite idea of which would be if the dinosaurs actually "won" at the end of this one, eventually took over the planet, and all movies from here on out are basically post-apocalyptic/human survival movies.
This.

I believe this has been discussed on another thread. Every time I watch Fallen Kingdom, I watch it through this lens, that is, of a movie leading toward some kind of ultimate dinosaur victory. I actually enjoyed Fallen Kingdom largely because it did seem like they are setting up exactly that. Now, I fully expect to be disappointed - Hollywood does that so often, it seems, as I don't really believe the filmmakers will have the balls to put out a movie wherein humanity is largely wiped out or that the leads are eaten.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.