*** JURASSIC PARK/WORLD FRANCHISE ***

72,550 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by TCTTS
BadMoonRisin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah Ill go with Jurassic World - back on the Island and finding the overgrown Visitor's Center were fun.

The rest are just stuck in a a heap of Triceratops turd.
The Porkchop Express
Jurassic World is a fun movie, despite lots of really dumb stuff, and proved Chris Pratt can carry a movie by just being himself. Also there were Ankylosaurses in it, and I love those.

After that I guess I'd put the Lost World second even though it feels like it's 95% at night. Pete Postelwaithe's performance is from the Rewatchables - actor who appears to be in a completely different movie.

I never have seen Fallen Kingdom all the way through. The last one, I saw in the theater with my daughter, and I know the OGs were in it, but I can't remember what they were doing. I remember total suspension of all rules of science for surviving a plane crash and Chris Pratt swimming under ice for a few minutes.

Most of the movies since the original and some of JW have done a terrible job of letting the dinosaurs be themselves. That tiny shot of the landscape at the end of The Lost World is what 50% of the movie should be, dinos being dinos.

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Despite its many flaws, and its unfortunate diversion from the book, I'll take The Lost World over Jurassic World, the latter of which is still so sterile and bland to me (save for the final act, which I do genuinely enjoy). Yes, gymnastics girl and the T-Rex/San Fran sequence are ridiculous, but at least TLW retains a sense of adventure, is mostly fun and thrilling throughout, with a couple of action sequences that are better than anything JW has to offer (the cliff sequence, specifically). I don't think JW is bad, necessarily, if anything, I just can't bring my self to pick Trevorrow over Spielberg.
TCTTS
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

Jurassic World is a fun movie, despite lots of really dumb stuff, and proved Chris Pratt can carry a movie by just being himself. Also there were Ankylosaurses in it, and I love those.

After that I guess I'd put the Lost World second even though it feels like it's 95% at night. Pete Postelwaithe's performance is from the Rewatchables - actor who appears to be in a completely different movie.

I never have seen Fallen Kingdom all the way through. The last one, I saw in the theater with my daughter, and I know the OGs were in it, but I can't remember what they were doing. I remember total suspension of all rules of science for surviving a plane crash and Chris Pratt swimming under ice for a few minutes.

Most of the movies since the original and some of JW have done a terrible job of letting the dinosaurs be themselves. That tiny shot of the landscape at the end of The Lost World is what 50% of the movie should be, dinos being dinos.

Right there with you. I mentioned this the other day, but despite it being the last one I saw, not even two years ago, I can hardly remember anything about it. Absolutely nothing about it sticks.
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

Right there with you. I mentioned this the other day, but despite it being the last one I saw, not even two years ago, I can hardly remember anything about it. Absolutely nothing about it sticks.
I think you and I had this discussion earlier in the thread.

My first watch I literally just went off playing on my phone (and I am not a play on my phone during the movie person) and was totally disinterested. The second time through I genuinely watched it and still have no idea what happened.
TCTTS
The Porkchop Express
TCTTS said:

Despite its many flaws, and its unfortunate diversion from the book, I'll take The Lost World over Jurassic World, the latter of which is still so sterile and bland to me (save for the final act, which I do genuinely enjoy). Yes, gymnastics girl and the T-Rex/San Fran sequence are ridiculous, but at least TLW retains a sense of adventure, is mostly fun and thrilling throughout, with a couple of action sequences that are better than anything JW has to offer (the cliff sequence, specifically). I don't think JW is bad, necessarily, if anything, I just can't bring my self to pick Trevorrow over Spielberg.
Cmon, Hollywood! Don't diss Diego like that!

WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, you're right.

San Fran was Godzilla, Apes, X-Men, and ILM.

San Diego deserves its props.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I'll put The Lost World ahead of Jurassic World.

TLW had what I consider a necessity for any movie featuring dinosaurs - stomping and chomping. That one had it in spades. While it wasn't the novel upon which it derived its title, it did put forth at least one sequence from the original novel that didn't make it into Jurassic Park - the Trex chasing the kids into a cave and trying to get at them with its tongue. I loved the plot of TLW, with the idea of a hunter wanting to hunt the ultimate predator. I didn't love the stowaway daughter or the girlfriend, for that matter. Loved the big chomp from the dude in the SUV trying to keep the big-ass trailer from plummeting off the cliff. And I loved the San Diego sequence, especially the brief scene of 4 Japanese men running down the street looking over their shoulders, an obvious homage to Godzilla.

Jurassic World was a fun movie, and I did really enjoy it. I loved the Disney World vibe to its early part, and then the idea from Jeff Goldblum (yeah, when the ride breaks down, the whatever don't eat the guests line from JP) that actually comes into being in that movie.
#FJB
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS said:

"In talks" is trade speak for "committed, just ironing out the details of the contract." It's extremely rare for someone who is "in talks" to either back out of or not get the job. It means it's basically a done deal, it just hasn't been officially announced by the studio yet.

For whatever reason, trades also always speak in the present. Even though Koepp's script is basically done, and he's been working for months, Koepp is still technically/currently engaged in the act of returning. It's the same thing when an actor is announced for a role, and is either currently filming or they've already filmed, but we're just now learning about it. "[Actor] is set to play..."

In short, by the time any of this news gets to us, a massive amount has already happened behind the scenes. Specifically, in this instance, again, Koepp has been writing for months, Leitch has read the script, and has already had multiple conversations with not only Universal, but Spielberg as well. All in addition to whatever other prep/storyboards/etc can be done.

Welp.

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
An extremely rare event, apparently.
#FJB
fig96
AG
TCTTS said:

TCTTS said:

"In talks" is trade speak for "committed, just ironing out the details of the contract." It's extremely rare for someone who is "in talks" to either back out of or not get the job. It means it's basically a done deal, it just hasn't been officially announced by the studio yet.

For whatever reason, trades also always speak in the present. Even though Koepp's script is basically done, and he's been working for months, Koepp is still technically/currently engaged in the act of returning. It's the same thing when an actor is announced for a role, and is either currently filming or they've already filmed, but we're just now learning about it. "[Actor] is set to play..."

In short, by the time any of this news gets to us, a massive amount has already happened behind the scenes. Specifically, in this instance, again, Koepp has been writing for months, Leitch has read the script, and has already had multiple conversations with not only Universal, but Spielberg as well. All in addition to whatever other prep/storyboards/etc can be done.

Welp.

Daveintx
Is it wrong to want a series that reboots it all, and follows the book?

Getting the river chase, being trapped in the hotel, and a less than grandpa Hammond would be nice
TCTTS
AG
Just release it in 2026! Summer 2025 is already crowded as hell. These arbitrary, pre-determined release dates are so incredibly stupid…

Quote:

But more interesting was Universal's new Jurassic World movie losing director David Leitch. The surprising news came only a few days after we and others wrote about him being in talks to tackle the dinos.

What happened?

Part of the problem is that Universal is so far along on the project that Leitch would essentially have been more of a shooter than someone who could have really put his stamp on the film.

"There's not enough time to work with new ideas," one source told us of the film, which has a script by David Koepp and an ambitious July 2, 2025 release date. According to another source, the producers have already done some dino design work and soft prep on the movie.

But we can see why the film was attractive for someone like Leitch in the first place. It was going to lean into action territory (one source described it as having an Escape from New York vibe, but a Universal insider said that was not true. Well, what about the idea of weaponized dinosaurs? The insider said no.)

Either way, Universal will be looking for a new director ASAP.

20ag07
There was nothing about this that looked locked and loaded.

The timeline in no way added up.

Yeah, we aren't sure who was actually working on what during the strike, and how all that accelerates. But nothing about this timeline ever made sense.

TCTTS owes YellowPot an apology
TCTTS
AG
Or, I know exactly what the hell I'm talking about, because I've been doing this for 20+ years, Leitch and his team had already been prepping (just like I said), and THIS is why he "left." Because Spielberg basically fired him…

Quote:

This morning, Deadline's Justin Kroll reported that David Leitch's talks to direct Universal and Amblin's next Jurassic movie fell through, as the parties involved couldn't see eye to eye in terms of the creative vision of the film.

We often hear about creative differences, but I'm told there was more to it than that in this case.

Remember the story I told you earlier this week about Legendary and how it was excised from the franchise after overstepping its role following the success of Jurassic World? Well, pretty much the same thing happened here!

I'm told that before there was even a deal in place, Kelly McCormick, who is Leitch's producing partner at 87North, began meddling with the film's budget and fired the film's line producer this week.

That line producer has worked with executive producer Steven Spielberg and producer Frank Marshall for a while, and when word got back to the two of them, they were upset - and according to sources, that's when the talks turned sour, as the two of them aren't fond of firing old friends.

I'm told that this is not McCormick's first time making waves, as she is also said to have lobbied against Antoine Fuqua receiving a P.G.A. credit on Bullet Train, which ruffled some feathers. Word is that she's starting to develop a reputation among execs, who are growing weary of her meddling ways.

Of course, the moral of the story is this - no matter who you are, you don't cross Spielberg and Marshall. Period.

Meanwhile, I already told you that Universal and Amblin are looking for a "shooter" given the project's ultra-tight timeline, which lines up with what THR's Heat Vision newsletter reported today.

The trade claims that Universal is so far along on the project - with producers already having done some dino design work and soft prep - that Leitch felt there wasn't enough time to put his stamp on the film, which is expected to "lean into action territory." Of course, Leitch knew he'd be under a time crunch when his talks first leaked - which explains why sources came forward with the real story.

While Universal goes way back with Leitch, by contrast, Spielberg and Marshall do not, and while they were fans of his kinetic visual aesthetic, they also weren't about to let him and McCormick call the shots on their baby. They want someone who will, for the most part, do what they're told, color in the lines, and ultimately service their vision.

As I explained, I didn't love this hire in the first place, as Leitch's resume (and his sledgehammer approach) never inspired confidence in me as far as this franchise is concerned. A horror director would make more sense to me if they're looking for something a bit more gritty than the recent trilogy.

Part of me wishes Spielberg would step behind the camera himself for this one, though I imagine that this job is going to go to either a slick young director (a la Trevorrow) or a "name" who needs a hit and is willing to rush to make a release date.

Leitch certainly isn't in that position, as Universal is bullish on his upcoming Ryan Gosling-Emily Blunt movie The Fall Guy, and remains so even though the planned reunion on Jurassic World didn't work out.

While some industry observers have pointed to directors such as Justin Lin and Travis Knight as filmmakers who the studio trusts, and Spielberg obviously goes way back with Robert Zemeckis, I have two other names for Universal to consider - Michael Sarnoski, whose A Quiet Place prequel looks great (see below) and my dark horse pick, Ilya Naishuller, who directed the Bob Odenkirk action movie Nobody. He may not be as big a name as Leitch, but he can deliver visceral action sequences and would likely follow the program.

Stay tuned, as I expect Universal will find a replacement next week, seeing as how they need to get moving on this one yesterday if they want to have it ready for release by next July…

Red Five
AG
So what you are saying is that this film does not currently have, nor has it ever had, a director signed on, just as Yellowpot said.
C@LAg

Ornithopter said:

Quad Dog said:

Just remake other movies with a Jurassic theme.

Aliens: Jurassic Hunters - hunt and kill a genetically engineered dinosaur.

Many: Jurassic Man - court room drama trying to prove a dino/man hybrid has the rights of a man.

Ocean's 11: Jurassic Heist - heist movie too steal a competitors DNA code.

Terminator: Jurassic Future - a robot T Rex travels back to the past to kill Chris Pratt.

Kids movie: Jurassic Coat - a lady wants to skin 101 dinos for a new coat, only a group of kids can stop her.

InterJurassic Planetary

Jurassic 5: Concrete Schoolyard
Battlestar Jurassica
Jurassic Park: Linux, the new Distribution
20ag07
Just 3 days ago, you excoriated Pot that Leitch was locked and loaded.

In no way, did "budgets" mess that up in 3 days. Nor is Spielberg engaged enough in this film to read budgets and fire someone in 3 days.

It's clear something went haywire here. It's also clear the timelines don't make sense, and there was a TON of misreporting.

And some people. Including you, bought into that misreporting for whatever reason. And got mad at people for not buying it.

Didn't you have to fire, or layoff, or he left because your company couldn't pay him, Jeff Sneider? (Who you are now quoting as a source of what happened here?)
TCTTS
AG
Dude, what is your problem?

- In no way did I "excoriate" YellowPot. His exact words were, "So no director, no script, no cast but a release date in 17 months." I then informed him, in a joking manner, that the project did, in fact, have both a director committed and a script written, one that had been in the works for months. Both of which, at the time, were factual statements.

- YellowPot then said he thought "in talks" meant that the director wasn't hired yet. I agreed, but then explained, in level-headed, non-condescending fashion, as an attempt to genuinely inform, that even though it wasn't 100% official yet, "in talks" almost always means that it's basically a formality at that point, and that "in talks" deals rarely fall apart. Another factual statement on my part, based on simple statistics/covering these kinds of stories for years.

- I also said that Leitch almost assuredly had a number of meetings with Universal by now, and had already probably even started prepping in some form or fashion. Which, as we all just read, also turned out to be true. So, yet again... another factual statement on my part.

- Before now, no where in this process did I get remotely "mad" or express anger of any sort. Not at YellowPot, not at anyone, nor do I owe him an apology either.

- As for Spielberg not being "engaged enough in this film to read budgets and fire someone in 3 days," how can you possibly know that? Especially when multiple outlets have reported that he's been extremely hands on this go around. Who do you think has been working with Koepp (the writer) this entire time, to get the script/project in shape, start design work, etc, absent a director?

- As for me having to layoff Jeff, yes, back in 2018 my industry site/venture went under, and we could no longer afford to pay him or our other 25+ employees. What's f/cked up about you bringing that up out of the blue (or even remembering in the first place) is that you're clearly trying to frame it as some kind of train wreck on my part. When, in reality, what actually happened was that I found out my business partner at the time hadn't paid his taxes in nearly a decade, the IRS came after us (or, rather, his company, which was still making money that was helping fund our new venture), which snowballed into a situation we couldn't get out from under, the company ultimately imploded, and my business partner and I never spoke again. Should I have initially done more homework on who I was getting into business with? Sure. But I also never thought to ask a successful businessman something as simple as, "Do you pay your taxes?" Regardless, I then spent that entire summer in therapy, due to the guilt I felt for ultimately letting my employees down and losing our investors millions, something I still feel horrible about to this day.

But sure, go ahead and bring that up as some kind of twisted "gotcha," like a handful of you always try and do with me, which is never not the weirdest, most desperate sh*t ever, while inventing completely false narratives in the process.
C@LAg
is this the same Jeff that fought Ewe Boll all those years ago? That worked for AICN?
TCTTS
AG
Yep.
C@LAg
i just checked the AICN web site for what must be the first time in 15 years.

I am shocked to see it is still live , and it still has the same layout and theme from all those years ago.
TCTTS
AG
That site was my "homepage" from, like, 1997 to the mid-'00s, Now I'm scared to even look. I wrote so many blurbs for those guys back in the day, and even got to know Harry a bit when I learned he was from my hometown. Fast forward to a few years ago when he got MeToo-ed, add in all the other shady sh*t he did that was discovered, and that whole era feels like an embarrassing fever dream now, for everyone involved.
TCTTS
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
If a dinosaur walks out with an eye patch, I'm either out right away or if I've been drinking enough, I'm in.
#FJB
Gigem314
AG
Daveintx said:

Getting the river chase, being trapped in the hotel, and a less than grandpa Hammond would be nice
While the original is still one of my favorite movies of all time, after reading the book it always kind of disappointed me how they killed Muldoon off in the film and really neutered his character. He was awesome in the book, like something for a modern day Daniel Craig.
Gigem314
AG
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

If a dinosaur walks out with an eye patch, I'm either out right away or if I've been drinking enough, I'm in.
YellowPot_97
AG
Well, well well. How the turntables…
Sapper Redux
Gigem314 said:

Daveintx said:

While the original is still one of my favorite movies of all time, after reading the book it always kind of disappointed me how they killed Muldoon off in the film and really neutered his character. He was awesome in the book, like something for a modern day Daniel Craig.

Gennaro, too. The book version turned out to be a bad ass. The movie combined him with Ed Regis.
fig96
AG
Sapper Redux said:

Gigem314 said:

Daveintx said:

Gennaro, too. The book version turned out to be a bad ass. The movie combined him with Ed Regis.
While I love the movie, the most disappointing part was turning Hammond from a genuinely evil capitalist into a well intentioned loving grandpa.

Also the lack of tension in discovering the dinosaurs were reproducing and how many dinosaurs were in the park, maybe my favorite scene from the book.
TCTTS
AG
Wow. Edwards has always been a phenomenal VISUAL director, but without a great writer to back up his visuals, his sense of story can be lacking at times. But here? With a David Koepp script and Spielberg himself helping guide as a producer? I'm all in…

veryfuller
Staff
AG
This went from "Why?" to "Take my money!" so fast.
fig96
AG
TCTTS
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.