*** JURASSIC PARK/WORLD FRANCHISE ***

72,580 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thunder18
AG
Dump Trevorrow and reboot as a survival horror genre.

Thanks
20ag07
Dominion was free on Peacock, and I still feel like I paid too much. Jesus, what a terrible movie.
Max Power
AG
I started watching this the other night on peacock, with the amount of money they spend on these and the amount of money they get in return are they not able to hire even a mediocre writer? The majority of the time anyone has said anything in this movie it's expositional, they're explaining how bad it is in real time. I have no idea how a script like this got rubber stamped as is into production. I'll probably finish it, but the first half is pretty terrible. I can't get this out of my head when thinking about when this movie was pitched because someone there holding the purse strings should have said it to the room.

MW03
AG
Max Power said:

I started watching this the other night on peacock, with the amount of money they spend on these and the amount of money they get in return are they not able to hire even a mediocre writer? The majority of the time anyone has said anything in this movie it's expositional, they're explaining how bad it is in real time. I have no idea how a script like this got rubber stamped as is into production. I'll probably finish it, but the first half is pretty terrible. I can't get this out of my head when thinking about when this movie was pitched because someone there holding the purse strings should have said it to the room.

It has made a billion dollars, and that's before licensing apparel, toys, etc. I am not sure there is a lot of talk about anything else in that room besides:

"Hear me out...spend $200 Million on a Jurassic World movie to make $1 Billion"

"Do it."

"We've got a rough sketch. We're going to have the dinosaurs..."

"I said do it."

"Yeah, and then we're going to get the old crew back from the original series, and we'll have them all meet up at.."

"John. I said do it. Let a yes be a yes. I've got a meeting at Cecconi's in 10 with Brad Pitt to talk about spending $100 Million to make $500 Million on a World War Z sequel."
Iowaggie
AG
The Pitch Meeting videos by Ryan George are so funny. Just a great review of a lot of the issues brought up in this thread.

The Porkchop Express
Iowaggie said:

The Pitch Meeting videos by Ryan George are so funny. Just a great review of a lot of the issues brought up in this thread.

This one and the one for Fallen Kingdom are two of his best.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Iowaggie
AG
As Ryan says in one of those videos, "they're so ridiculous and far-fetched" that it provides such good content.

I had to watch the Jurassic World pitch video.
The Porkchop Express
Iowaggie said:

As Ryan says in one of those videos, "they're so ridiculous and far-fetched" that it provides such good content.

I had to watch the Jurassic World pitch video.
You can tell that Ryan seriously hates/loves this franchise and the Transformers as well.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
fig96
AG
20ag07 said:

Dominion was free on Peacock, and I still feel like I paid too much. Jesus, what a terrible movie.
Yup, watched it last night. Or at least I had it on, was working on my IRA rollover and that was far more interesting.

How do you make a movie with dinosaurs running around the modern day US just...boring? That concept is so rich for so much cool stuff, the early short they did with the people camping was promising then they made, well, this.
The Porkchop Express
My favorite part is still the end with the Mososaurs being best pals with the whales. It's like my dog deciding to snuggle with a hot dog instead of devouring it in 2 tenths of a second.
double aught
AG
Well I finally watched this today and enjoyed it.

Now I was pretty high on painkillers after surgery, so that may have had something (a lot) to do with it, but it was fun! Now if I could just remember what it was about.
TCTTS
AG
AustinAg2K
Finally got a chance to finish watching Dominion. This was so epically bad... I can't wait for the sequel!
The Dog Lord
AG
AustinAg2K said:

Finally got a chance to finish watching Dominion. This was so epically bad... I can't wait for the sequel!
I still haven't seen it which says a lot. The second was enough of a letdown that I've never felt any urgency with seeing this next one. Will watch it eventually on streaming, but the reviews haven't helped either.
TXAG 05
AG
TCTTS said:

Are they going to re-release it to the theaters? Would love to see it on the big screen again.
TCTTS
AG
wangus12
AG
TCTTS said:

He is our time's Bach or Mozart.
MW03
AG
I think we've talked about this before, but it always blows my mind a bit to think about how movies today are our entertainment in much the same way operas were in antiquity. It's valid to compare someone like John Williams scoring Jurassic Park to someone like Mozart writing for the Magic Flute or the Marriage of Figaro.
TCTTS
AG
Tibbers
oh.
The Porkchop Express
Chaos Theory should be a What If style for JP and the first episode should be if Nedry hadn't sabotaged the island, Ian Malcolm was definitely hooking up with Ellie Sattler that weekend while Alan Grant was busy grumbling about not letting the T rex hunt
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Thanks for sharing that. JW is literally the GOAT with his body of work that is so well known among even people who have not seen his movies.
#FJB
fig96
AG
Tibbers said:

the last 5 seconds tell you all you need to know about their meaning of "the new era"
Literally a character from the previous animated show.
bluefire579
AG
So this one looks pretty interesting.

Noblemen06
AG
That looks awesome - a survival/horror set immediately after the first movie? I might have to get a PS5…
TCTTS
AG
This franchise has unfortunately been run into the ground, but David Koepp (the writer of the first movie/one of the best screenwriters around) returning at least gives me hope. And he's further along than anyone expected, as Universal is already eying a potential 2025 release (adding to an already massive year). No specifics yet, but it sounds like a fresh new direction, with all new characters, set in the aftermath/same continuity as the last trilogy...

Quote:

It is unclear what form the relaunch is taking. It is known to be launching a "new Jurassic era," per sources, with an all-new storyline. That would seem to rule out the return of the characters played by Jurassic World stars Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard. And it seems characters featured in the original Jurassic Park movies, played by Sam Neill, Laura Dern and Jeff Goldblum, would not be involved.

The fact that it's being called a new "Jurassic World" instead of "Jurassic Park" may also be telling. That would suggest that the franchise is likely not taking a back-to-basics approach but could go to parts unknown (Jurassic Space? Just putting it out there).

Aggie_Journalist
AG
How much credit does Koepp really get as Jurassic Park writer when he's adopting a fantastic book?

The movie does differ from the book quite a bit and both are excellent, but still.
Thanks and gig'em
TCTTS
AG
You answered it yourself. The book is so much more dense and complex than the movie, where a couple of characters even meet different fates. To be able to distill all of that into a fast-paced, massively entertaining, easily explained two-hour movie that even kids can understand is a huge feat. Koepp, again, is also one of the best in the game - a blockbuster/thriller veteran, with decades of experience and a ton of crazy impressive credits. Sure, he's had plenty of misses too, but the franchise straight up hasn't had a writer of his caliber/expereince since the Spielberg days.
YellowPot_97
AG
Do we really need yet another Jurassic Park movie? The last steaming pile of garbage was the most bored I have ever been at a movie. Which is sad because I love Chris Pratt and the original JP still one of my all time favorite movies. But enough is enough. Stop dragging it's dead corpse around.
TCTTS
AG
Despite their lack of quality, the last three movies each made over a billion, and through six films total the franchise has averaged over a billion per installment. With the Fast & Furious movies running on fumes, and only one more movie left in that series, the Jurassic franchise remains Universal's crown jewel. So until waning interest is reflected in box office receipts, the park stays open. Creative be damned, no matter how dead the corpse.
Ornithopter
AG
TCTTS said:

I like it better when overlaid with the scene. Also, this is a phenomenal cover.

double aught
AG
TCTTS said:

If Jurassic Park was the worst thing ever put to film and still had the same score, I'd have walked out of the theater thinking "Not bad!"
TXAG 05
AG
TCTTS said:

You answered it yourself. The book is so much more dense and complex than the movie, where a couple of characters even meet different fates. To be able to distill all of that into a fast-paced, massively entertaining, easily explained two-hour movie that even kids can understand is a huge feat. Koepp, again, is also one of the best in the game - a blockbuster/thriller veteran, with decades of experience and a ton of crazy impressive credits. Sure, he's had plenty of misses too, but the franchise straight up hasn't had a writer of his caliber/expereince since the Spielberg days.

Agreed that he did as well as anyone could have to condense everything that was in the book and make a great movie out of it. However, he also wrote Lost World and took a great book and turned it into the stinker that we got.
TCTTS
AG
When a movie veers that far from the source material it almost assuredly is at the behest of the director or producers. Especially for a sequel, in a situation like with The Lost World, in no world does the writer call the shots like that and decide on his own to basically tell a different movie. He was given a direction, I'm sure had a certain amount of input, but then did the best he could do under those circumstances/within the parameters given.

That said, I totally agree that the book was so much better than the movie. That was the first book I ever read before the movie came out, and man was I disappointed when they didn't tell the story told in the book.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.