*** JURASSIC PARK/WORLD FRANCHISE ***

72,600 Views | 734 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Still not online for some reason, and I've been watching Succession and football, so I missed the live broadcast. Didn't think I needed to record it. Hopefully it's up soon, as reactions seem to be super positive.
TCTTS
AG
So they're apparently waiting until the true west coast airing, which is another hour and twenty minutes. DIRECTV, which is what I have, broadcasts the east coast FX feed. But I guess other providers hold off...
TCTTS
AG
Kind of shocked it took them two+ movies to come up with this Universal Pictures/"Jurassic World" logo, but it *is* pretty cool...

TCTTS
AG
It's finally up. Watching now...

Sex Panther
AG
Jurassic World 2 was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen so I've tried to forget about it, so help me remember...

Didn't only like 30 dinosaurs escape into the wild at the end? And they were differing species for the most part right? So now the whole point is they're starting to take over the planet? So how exactly did that happen? And in this short film, people went camping in an area that they know probably has dinosaurs including a T-Rex or whatever that was, but they still went out into the woods? And the U.S. government is just gonna let gigantic carnivorous lizards walk around?

The concept of a Jurassic World is definitely pretty fun so maybe I'm being too critical, but the way they arrived at it is so stupid, it's hard to get past it.
TCTTS
AG
Eh, that was decent. I don't really understand the point, especially being almost two years out from JP3, but I do admit, dinosaurs attacking people in the wild - all across America - has a TON of potentially for the next movie, and this serves as a nice proof of concept, I guess. Loved the little end credit glimpses in that regard. That said, if there was even a 5% chance of being attacked by a dinosaur while camping, I can't imagine I'd ever go camping as nonchalantly as the people in this short. It's going to be interesting to see how they paint this new reality. Are there private/government groups hunting dinosaurs now? Is the public paranoid? Or is this just the new norm? Again, tons of potential for a lot of new drama/action we haven't seen in this franchise before, which is exciting, I just seriously doubt Trevorrow is the one to capitalize on that. But we'll see.
TCTTS
AG
Was typing as you posted this, but I have a lot of the same questions/issues. On its face, just the bare bones premise could be amazing; dinosaurs in the wild, roaming America, attacking the sh*t out of people. But yeah, all of the set up to get here in the last movie was just completely asinine, and you're right, there couldn't have been more than 30 dinosaurs that escaped from that mansion. Seems like the government could have tracked them all down and killed them in a matter of weeks if not days.
JABQ04
AG
Sex Panther said:

Didn't only like 30 dinosaurs escape into the wild at the end? And they were differing species for the most part right? So now the whole point is they're starting to take over the planet? So how exactly did that happen?

v
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

It's finally up. Watching now...

I feel like an enterprising Viz Arts team at most major universities could have replicated that or exceeded it, since they wouldn't be bound to Hollywood tropes.

Look if there's ever a dinosaur rampage, just hire an army of tween black girls (Kelly from JP2, this chick) and we're safe.

That seemed like a big waste of time for no discernible purpose. Cut it down to 2 minutes and make it the teaser trailer for JW3.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Seems like the government could have tracked them all down and killed them in a matter of weeks if not days.
This is my problem with basically every "whole population gets wiped out book/TV show/movie - like in every monster movie when our first response includes single troops with rifles on their shoulders against the 300-foot tall monster. If that's how our military operates, every country in the world should attack us.

One of my favorite books of the last 10 years or so is "The Passage" which involves infected people that take on vampire-esque qualities of strength and blood craving. But through newspapers and documents, the author shows the military with an actual strategy that includes a "scorched earth" sequence of the midwest with bombers, basically one step short of detonating a nuclear warhead on our own soil. It works, but not enough to keep the resulting plague from happening.

Every fighter pilot in the world would line up to shoot down a Pterodactyl or drop a payload on a T-rex. We wouldn't just let them wander around killing people.
The Collective
AG
Why do we always have to have some little kid dropping dino knowledge to adults in this franchise?
double aught
AG
Exposition.

Plus, they really are more knowledgeable on the subject than most adults.
double aught
AG
Sex Panther said:

And in this short film, people went camping in an area that they know probably has dinosaurs including a T-Rex or whatever that was, but they still went out into the woods? And the U.S. government is just gonna let gigantic carnivorous lizards walk around?
People get killed by animals now. But we still venture out into the wild.
The Collective
AG
I found it funny that the dad mentions bears, but their cook site is right next to their campsite.
hurleyag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

Look if there's ever a dinosaur rampage, just hire an army of tween black girls (Kelly from JP2, this chick) and we're safe.

This was my biggest issue with the short. The neighboring trailer guy, owner of the crossbow, should have been the one shooting the dinosaur, not the little girl.
hurleyag
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

One of my favorite books of the last 10 years or so is "The Passage" which involves infected people that take on vampire-esque qualities of strength and blood craving. But through newspapers and documents, the author shows the military with an actual strategy that includes a "scorched earth" sequence of the midwest with bombers, basically one step short of detonating a nuclear warhead on our own soil. It works, but not enough to keep the resulting plague from happening.

World War Z has a good excerpt about military strategy too. The book, not the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Leave it to Trevorrow to take the ONE thing most despised in The Lost World (young black girl taking on a dinosaur with gymnastics) and basically double down on it. (Not a race thing, obviously, just the dumb trope of kids saving the day by ridiculous means.)
Decay
AG
hurleyag said:

World War Z... The book, not the movie.

That should be the movie's tagline. Such a waste.
TCTTS
AG
Sorry, meant to reply to Muck's post, not yours.
Thunder18
AG
How did she fire 2 crossbow bolts within a second?
AMW2010
AG
Because it was a double cross bow
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
TCTTS said:

Exactly. Leave it to Trevorrow to take the ONE thing most despised in The Lost World (young black girl taking on a dinosaur with gymnastics) and basically double down on it. (Not a race thing, obviously, just the dumb trope of kids saving the day by ridiculous means.)
I'd pay $100 for an alternate take where Kelly does her gymnastics routine and the raptor turns its head and rips her leg off.

The dinosaurs of Jurassic Park: Cheetah Like Speed until we face off with a 12 year old!
The Collective
AG
She runs at the dinosaur to do a vault off its head, and it just snaps her neck off.
fig96
AG
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I thought that was really fun, if nothing else a hell of a lot better than JW2.

Yeah, the girl scaring off the dino was a bit cliche with the franchise's history, but it's also a nice little callback to the "don't play with crossbows" line (though they could have also had it be the neighbor and made some "you can teach her to use the crossbow" comment).

Also, probably worth noting that the dinos now appear to be reproducing.
fig96
AG
Sex Panther said:

Jurassic World 2 was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen so I've tried to forget about it, so help me remember...

Didn't only like 30 dinosaurs escape into the wild at the end? And they were differing species for the most part right? So now the whole point is they're starting to take over the planet? So how exactly did that happen? And in this short film, people went camping in an area that they know probably has dinosaurs including a T-Rex or whatever that was, but they still went out into the woods? And the U.S. government is just gonna let gigantic carnivorous lizards walk around?

The concept of a Jurassic World is definitely pretty fun so maybe I'm being too critical, but the way they arrived at it is so stupid, it's hard to get past it.
There was a mention of "how did they get up here?" so it seems like they went camping in an area they assumed was dino-free.

The bigger picture issue of "how are we just sort of letting this happen" is a fair one though.
PatAg
AG
that was awful, in a lot of ways.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I've never understood the reasoning behind replacing one of the most iconic/recognizable movie themes of all time with a generic, bland theme that nobody could pick out of a lineup.
Capitol Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

It was an Allosaurus, not a T-Rex. And they are Archosaurs, like birds (who are now considered avian dinosaurs by modern science), crocs and Pterosaurs, not lizards. Now Mosasaurus is actually most likely related to monitor lizards, and not a dinosaur. There you go. Dropped some knowledge on ya. Hey, my 3 year old is crazy about dinosaurs so we read about them A LOT. And I mean A LOT.

The rest of your points are 100% spot on. Though, could it be that the government has made dinosaurs a protected species and forbids people from hunting and killing them? If an 8 year old with a crossbow can easily wound one of those, what could a .30 cal or .50 cal do to one? They seem relatively easy to kill with a powerful weapon.
DeBoss
AG
I'm going to set aside all facts and reality about what the gov/weapons could do. I'm 100% in on a full length movie around the interactions of dinosaurs/humans as we learn to integrate. It's like Jurassic Park meets Transformers meets Alien. Sound entertaining to me.
TCTTS
AG
Hell yes. It's official...

TCTTS
AG
The final product will most likely suck, but whatever. I'm talking myself into this at least being a fun and nostalgic final outing until then...
TCTTS
AG

https://amblin.com/press/neill-dern-and-goldblum-return-to-jurassic-franchise-for-jurassic-world-3/
Gigem314
AG
Goro Majima
AG
TCTTS said:

Hell yes. It's official...

Lost in a pretty ho-hum week after a bad Aggie football loss, this might be the best news I've heard.
TCTTS
AG

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/09/25/jurassic-world-jurassic-park-x-men-fast-and-furious-jeff-goldblum-laura-dern-chris-pratt-vin-diesel-paul-walker-hugh-jackman-patrick-stewart-universal-box-office/#10302a36f65a

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.