*** TOP GUN : Maverick ***

300,619 Views | 2251 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by YNWA_AG
AR_Ag95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TCTTS said:

Got a little surprise for you guys.

I may or may not have been texting some of these responses to my buddy. And the producer and the director may or may not be loving every word...

I bet Tom has been following this thread.

Hi Tom! You kick Ass!
UnderoosAg
AG
Gigem314 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

I deserve this.
I asked them to change it to Top Gun 2: The Legend of Iceman's Gold
Top Gun 2: You're Still Dangerous

TOP GUN 2: DANGEROUS BOOGALOO
Post removed:
by user
oragator
Tell them we need Meg Ryan circa 1986 back for this.

CGI can do that now right?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Holy ****, we're famous!
AR_Ag95
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Holy ****, we're famous!

Hell ya!!!
Jim01
AG
Born in 78 here. Loved Star Wars but the Top Gun soundtrack was the first cassette I ever bought. Wore it out.
vwbug
1. Glen Powell - do we know who he is in the movie?
2. Will we get a Meg Ryan cameo?
3. How about Merlin/Andy Dufresne?
4. Finally will we see Sundown pop up?
jokershady
AG
TCTTS said:

So he flies a U-2 to Iran and then steals an F-14? I actually love the idea of him stealing an old aircraft, but I don't know that the U-2 aspect would be a part of that.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Harris convo is at the beginning. That kind of speech, where one character lists off another character's accomplishments, is almost always at the beginning of a movie; a type of short-hand to give the audience a quick primer on the main character. I can't see that type of info needed at the end.

I'm thinking we open with Cruise going on some kind of U-2 test flight or mission. He does some brave/crazy thing (ala the opening of first movie), barely makes it out alive, and then Harris gives him that speech. Then the rest of the movie is Cruise then proving the "I'm not extinct" sentiment.

That said, I could be wrong...
good point. Course he could have 2 separate convos with Ed Harris.....first one being where he's listing off accomplishments and this is edited to look like the same convo....
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
UnderoosAg said:

Gigem314 said:

MuckRaker96 said:

TCTTS said:

I deserve this.
I asked them to change it to Top Gun 2: The Legend of Iceman's Gold
Top Gun 2: You're Still Dangerous

TOP GUN 2: DANGEROUS BOOGALOO
Top Gun 2: Mission Implausible
ChipFTAC01
AG
MuckRaker96 said:

JoeAggie5 said:

I made it to 2nd base with my future wife while watching Top Gun on VHS. Damn right I'm going to see this with her!
That's it? There were reports of men spontaneously becoming gay after watching the beach volleyball scene.

Fify
PhatMack19
AG
The wife's never seen Top Gun. Kids are asleep. I just rented it on Prime. Daddy's getting lucky tonight!
Drawkcab
BQ78 said:

Kilmer and Cruise would have to be four or five star admirals now or been retired for a few years. Putting them in the cockpit will make as much sense as putting the President of the US in a fighter jet, ala' Independece Day

Awesome that this is mentioned in the trailer. .
ClickClack
AG
I've been giddy for the past 48 hours watching this trailer over and over. Top Gun instilled a love for aviation in me that never went away and although I never ended up doing it as a career, I did obtain my license while at A&M.

Now my 5 & 7 year old boys join me when I watch the opening scene of Top Gun every few months on full blast. We watched the trailer for the first time together and they were enamored.

Just can't believe it's actually happening 34 years later and it makes it even more fun to share it with my boys who seem to have the same love of aircraft I do.

Also - appreciate your insights on the movie TCTTS. It makes this anticipation even more fun.
Carlo4
AG
PhatMack19 said:

The wife's never seen Top Gun. Kids are asleep. I just rented it on Prime. Daddy's getting lucky tonight!

the volleyball scene
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Dro07
AG
She still is... you should look her up!
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
Sex Panther
AG
Listening to the Top Gun Soundtrack and I'm convinced the Top Gun Theme needs to be the new National Anthem.

Imagine this bad boy playing at the Olympics after winning gold. I'd like to see Kaepernick try and kneel during that guitar solo:

TCTTS
AG
This is quite possibly the greatest idea in the history of our country.
Pahdz
How have I never seen that video before?! That was awesome.

While watching my wife also yells "are you watching that trailer AGAIN?!
TCTTS
AG
Pahdz said:

While watching my wife also yells "are you watching that trailer AGAIN?!
TCTTS
AG
(I've watched it at least 20 times since Thursday, if not more.)
G Martin 87
AG
Shopping tip: Top Gun is currently on sale for $10 on iTunes. Includes the 30yr Anniversary extra features.
Urban Ag
AG
Sex Panther said:

Listening to the Top Gun Soundtrack and I'm convinced the Top Gun Theme needs to be the new National Anthem.

Imagine this bad boy playing at the Olympics after winning gold. I'd like to see Kaepernick try and kneel during that guitar solo:

DefCon 5 raging Freedom Boner achieved.

To make things worse, I've been fishing in Alaska and haven't seen my wife in a week. I may have to murder a communist to relieve myself.
RAB91
'Cruz: 'Top Gun' Censorship for China Proves 'Hollywood is Afraid to Stand Up for Free Speech'
https://freebeacon.com/national-security/cruz-top-gun-censorship-for-china-proves-hollywood-is-afraid-to-stand-up-for-free-speech/

Quote:

"Top Gun is an American classic, and it's incredibly disappointing to see Hollywood elites appease the Chinese Communist Party," Cruz told the Free Beacon. "The Party uses China's economy to silence dissent against its brutal repression and to erode the sovereignty of American allies like Taiwan. Hollywood is afraid to stand up for free speech and is enabling the Party's campaign against Taiwan."
redline248
AG
Good for him
Gigem314
AG
It's definitely a case of them "going along" in order to maximize the financial gain and reach of the film by not making waves in China. I don't necessarily fault the studio for thinking about the big picture of the film's success over making a political statement.

I don't like what China represents, and personally I don't agree with changing something just to appease a brutal regime. But it doesn't impact my views of the film.

HOWEVER, in an industry where SO MANY actors, directors, executives, and films go out of their way to make political jabs when it's convenient for them (and ironically, it's typically aimed at those they claim are chasing profit, personal gain, or those they think are oppressive)...issues like this are going be legitimately brought up for good reason.

I don't think it will impact the film...I'm absolutely pumped for it. I do think the hypocrisy of the industry as a whole is the most disappointing. Or really, that's society as a whole. We pick and choose winners and losers...good guys and bad guys.

I'm just going to enjoy the film for what it is and have a good time.
The Collective
AG
I always thought the Top Gun theme was performed by Eddie Van Halen, but per the video above, it looks like I've wrongly assumed for a long time.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I looked it up last week. It's Steve Stephens. He's Billy Idols guitarist.
JB!98
Know Your Enemy
AG
Val Kilmer makes an appearance at a Top Gun screening in Austin.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/val-kilmer-meets-top-gun-175101389.html
Gigem314
AG
Junkhead said:

Val Kilmer makes an appearance at a Top Gun screening in Austin.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/val-kilmer-meets-top-gun-175101389.html
Well hopefully that confirms he has at least a small role in it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.